Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
designitmegan

Help I have a horrible kitchen and I cant expand it!!! I need creative ideas!!

designitmegan
11 years ago
To all the amazing "out of the box" designers here! I have champagne taste on a beer budget! ;( I just got divorced and moved from my old very big house to this "very cute" smaller house with my two girls! I cant expand the kitchen but I need to be creative with space. I dont want to change the out side of the house so I cant board up windows but I can make them bigger if I want! ;) Here are pictures of the "now" (LOVE the yellow guys!!! :) and Im attaching what a designer thought I should do. Im just looking for that perfect design!!! I will attach her lay out too!!! Oh yea!! The wall with my refrigerator on is the opposite side of my living room. I want to make that whole wall a half wall and have bar height seats that look into the kitchen and out into the back yard. I want my kichen to look like a homey part of the house and not that "kitchen" look. Thanks in advance to all to take time to help!!!
Megan

Comments (47)

• designitmegan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here is another view!! And I was kidding about liking the yellow paint!!! hehe!!!
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Congratulations on your charming new home! You could definitely add a shelf across top of kitchen window for storing big items. I see you have some open shelves already on the other kitchen wall. Is there space anywhere for a pot rack? It looks like your designer provided bar or table seating for 13 people. That's supposed to be an unlucky number to have for dinner!
  • designitmegan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    What great feed back!!!! We will definitly add or subtract one seating!!! I need all the help I can get Carolyn!! ;) We also changed most of the shelving to glass covered cabinets!! The big fat seating for 6 is my restoration hardware table. I would love a pot rack!!! My only problem is not wanting to block the view to the outside....it the best part of the house! ;) Any other thoughts would be appreciated!!
  • designitmegan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The floor and ceiling are going too!! I wanted to do a beadboard ceiling?! Any thoughts!!!
  • Rio Brewster
    11 years ago
    Do you really need that huge dining room table? Plus all the other seating?
  • designitmegan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi CD Designs!! Lets just say....thats my only dining/seating space. I usually have 10 to 12 for dinner "sometimes" football season, family dinners.......
    We were trying to get as much seating at we could. Thats not to say if someone came up with a better design and different plan.....Id be up for changing it!!!
    The idea was "everyone hangs" in the kitchen.......this kitchen is toooo small to do that so we were trying to have people/children sit on the bar stools to keep the cook company.
    I am up for any ideas!!!
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    Congratulations on your charming home! It's going to perfect. Some food for thought. When we gutted out kitchen, I moved the dishwasher to the right side of the sink, and a trash compactor on the left side. I'm right handed and it so much more natural and convenient to load to the right. Plus, the trash on the left is perfect spot to trash what wont go in the disposal. Also, I used to have window grids but last year swapped out for no grids at all. I loved the grids at first but LOVE the way the new windows have a complete unobstructive view of the back yard. Sooo, I'd suggest a HUGE window all the way across the wall to the backyard. Also, I may consider moving the dining table the other side and install beautiful french doors instead of windows to the outdoors, then you can eliminate the small door in the kitchen and add more cabinets/counter space where the small door is. I love your beadboard ceiling idea.
  • Rio Brewster
    11 years ago
    OK and your table doesn't have leaves, so you can't make it smaller when you don't have 12 people...

Have you thought about a banquette in the corner and French doors to replace the windows there? Not that I don't like your table - it just eats up a lot of space. And you can store stuff in the banquette benches. Having recently downsized myself I know you probably need every inch of storage you can find.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Rather than the bar looking through the wall into the kitchen, have you thought of this? Put a round table with several leaves that expand it to an oval in the kitchen. Move your big wonderful table into the living room just around the corner from the kitchen. That way you can seat 8 at the the living room table, probably 6 at the kitchen table, and 3 at the kitchen bar - 17! 1+7 = 8, or new beginnings, not an unlucky number! Your living looks to be large enough to handle the table with a great chandy hanging above it. Will make a handy computer/work table when not used for dinner parties. The kitchen bar and table should handle regular meals with family. Also, you can use a couple of serious chairs - master or wing back upholstered ones at each end of your RH table, and then move them a few feet to the living area and make them part of the conversation area when not needed for dinner parties.
  • skurland
    11 years ago
    Can you take down that pass thru wall and put your stove into an island? Then you can treat it as one big space
  • inkwitch
    11 years ago
    I don't understand the many bar chairs AND a dining table with 6 chairs. Do you actually think you'll need to seat that many people -- in that configuration -- that often? I guarantee you will use 2 bar stools (your girls) and maybe the table once in a while. It's all very well to like a certain look or style or configuration, but if it isn't useful or used, what's the point?

Also, in the floor plan, the sink seems to face the living room and those 4 bar stools. Personally, I think you're going to hate that. I can see having the sink facing the dining room if you want to switch things around, but it occurs to me that a stove in front of a window means greasy windows.

A banquet with the dining table would be a great solution. It could be situated on either wall of the dining area -- under the kitchen pass-thru or the far wall. Great space saver and making a great comeback from the mid-century.

I love the kitchen. It has a warm, bright, friendly atmosphere even in just a photo. Love the windows and the light, and the yellow is great! Sucker for B/W tile floors. Do you plan to carry the yellow into the dining room? It would pull it all together, even if it's a lighter shade.
  • PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    11 years ago
    Just a heads up. In most locations a range or cooktop under a window is against building code. If you have a fire on the stove any curtains would catch instantly. See the link below for dangerous kitchen designs:
    http://www.mainlinekitchendesign.com/general/is-your-kitchen-designer-going-to-kill-you/
  • designitmegan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you to all that answered!!!!! So many amazing ideas!!!!! :)

The one topic that came up many times......French doors in the big windows!!!! I would love that BUT I actually have a stone patio to the right and a wood deck to the left. Sadly. no way to attach the two with out big bucks BUT how do you guys feel about french doors that open and have a small iron balcony??? Ive seen them but dont know what they are called?

*****My favorite idea and the one I would LOVE your input is flipping the rooms!!! I'm up for it but would need major imput!! Would you guys expand on that thought!!! The restoration table fits perfectly in the window area I have on the other side. I will attach a picture.

1. The only thing is when you walk in the house you will see it.
    2. The fireplace is in there. Is that okay
    3. I like the idea to hang out there too
    4. I have to find living room space now!!!! ;)
  • designitmegan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Okay guys.....here is a picture of the living room. Please excuse the mess!!!! ;)
    1. Where the new drapes are big huge windows!!! Very pretty!!
    2.When you walk into the house...its a cape cod you walk into this room! ;)
    3. Where the bar chairs are is the spot that need to be opened up. The view from there is amazing!!!
  • Emily H
    11 years ago
    Hi megan, It looks like you photo didn't make it. Want to try again? Make sure it's saved as a jpeg and it should upload for you.
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Yup, thought the same about the sink. Why move it away from the window where it already is? Moving plumbing is a big expense and most folks want to look out the window while doing dishes.

I think swapping rooms and having a fireplace in the dining area would be wonderful. That way your tv can be the focal point for the living room, placed inside some great unit, and not in competition with the fireplace.

Your kitchen triangle looks like a lot of walking? Can it be tightened up? Get rid of peninsula and have an island with cooktop and seating around?
  • designitmegan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    oops forgot to add pictures
  • designitmegan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Opps!! Im learning how to load these things!! Bear with me!! :(
  • designitmegan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi guys!!! Thanks for all the wonderful input!!!
    Main Line Kitchen Design - Thank you sooo much for the heads up!! I actually checked out the code with our codes guy. If its gas you need a non working window in my area but you can do it. I cant find room for a beautiful stove and refrigerator! :) I actually want an induction stove!!! :)
  • designitmegan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    PC Mom - Thanks so much for the imput!!! If you get a chance check out the living room pictures! The house is upside down because we are "waiting" to figure out the best design
  • designitmegan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi!
    Fabia. I will take your ideas and try again. The venting for the cook top where ever it is will be a zepher. The fridge is hidden in the center of the bank of cabinets on the designers view.
    Do you have any suggestions?!
  • tob123
    11 years ago
    here how i can see picture .You can use space for cabinets
  • designitmegan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi Olga honey!!!
    Thats how I pictured it too!!!!!!
  • designitmegan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi Guys I have one huge question if anyone has been following this link!!! ;) How much room do you need for a galley kitchen ....how much space between each section????
  • PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    11 years ago
    Actually I hate to say it but I think you need a different designer. I agree with all of fabia's points. Find a good kitchen designer, and not an interior designer or architect. If you are in the US you could call around to home centers near you to find the most experienced kitchen designer close enough to still be workable. Or try independent showrooms. Some will only be a little more expensive and their help may prove priceless. Don't search for your design search for your designer and you will find the best design in the process.

You will spend a great deal of money under any senerio, and unprofessional help may be more flawed then you realize. This link explains why:

http://www.mainlinekitchendesign.com/general/you-have-to-see-our-new-kitchen/

Best of luck
  • fabia
    11 years ago
    The wall that separates the kitchen, can this be removed?.. I will look at the plan at work tomarrow. I think the kitchen should stay focused on food, storage with casual seating. Then the dining area should be where the seating is. I am going crossed eyed looking at the plan. :)
  • designitmegan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Main Line Kitchen....you are in my area!!!! :) are you up for it! :) Clearly I need some more help!! ;(
  • designitmegan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Fabia!
    Id appreciate it! Also I agree....with the hot pot thing! Main line kitchen also agreed with you!. The wall that separates the kitchen from the living room IS a bearing wall. I am willing to spend the $$$ to have it removed and a header put in for the right design. My home only consists of the rooms that you see. A living room, dining area, and kitchen. Its a small cape cod. Very cute...but a design night mare!!!
    We are a relaxed family and I want to see everyone but I dont want it to be toooo open where It looks like I only have one room in the house. ;) My only requirement was not to see dirty dishes from any of the other rooms!!! Thanks sooooo much for your honest answers!! Thats why I came here.
  • jmanville5
    11 years ago
    Looks like you have a great space to work with. I am so glad you were only kidding about the yellow. I love the Restoration Table. The sink should be under the window. You have a lot of seating that on an everyday basis will only get in the way. I would get rid of that pass though with the bar stools that enter into the living room. I would either take all those walls down and create one big open floor plan creating a large island with stools. or close up that wall and remove the walls in dining room area creating an open area in that area. Good Luck!
  • PRO
    Chroma Design
    11 years ago
    You started with a L shaped peninsula with seating, you're second guessing and are wondering about a galley kitchen yet you want everyone to gather in the kitchen, and your favorite idea is to flip the function of the rooms. Ugh!
    I mean this constructively, you're all over the place and you need to slow down.
    From the first plan, the sink and stove are just not right. You will spend more time at the sink than at the stove, and you want to look out those windows more. Nor would it be pleasant to sit at the living room counter and look into the sink.
    As MainLine said, you need to hire a kitchen designer. Period. Good luck!
  • jmanville5
    11 years ago
    the scond picture fails to show that the counter wraps around with a bar height top. Across from that it a pantry of cabinets about 60" wide with quarter round shelves at the end. This layout was open but not wide open and it provided a nice focal point when you entered the home. Hope this helps.
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    11 years ago
    definitely hire a kitchen designer... :)
  • Janis F
    11 years ago
    A beer pocketbook doesn't necessarily allow for gas and water line relocation and a beam for a load bearing wall removal. You didn't give us good views of the other walls of the existing space but your current layout looks good. Your best bet would be to eliminate the wall between the kitchen and dining room, changing the stove to a slide in, and adding a knee wall and bar counter behind the stove for bar stools (3). Maybe move the refrig to the wall opposite the stove. You could then put your $ into a good design with good cabinet accessories that will make your kitchen function better. Looks like an 8' ceiling - the opening up of the wall and the wall of windows doesn't allow for a lot of wall cabinet space so cabinetry pantry(s) - 24" deep with at least 5 rollout trays - and/or 39" high wall cabinets will give you more storage. If budget and plan allows you to take down the wall between the kitchen and living room, an island may get you the "visiting" possibilities you are looking for plus additional storage. You need to come up with a budget and start again with a good kitchen designer and listen to the advice about what you can realistically afford to do. Best wishes to you - a great new kitchen will help make the transition to your new life easier!
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    I agree to completely rethink this design. The stove and sink location is not ideal. This can be a wonderful space..with a professional kitchen designer.
  • fife2
    11 years ago
    Ok - here IS the craziest and but BEST design problem solver I ever saw:

I saw this in an architectural awards magazine: BUILD a little house for your Fridge! Put it on a platform, with rollers - and cover the sides with bead-board, one side can be that chalk board paint for messages, or cork board, etc., on one side - put little wooden pegs to hang aprons, dish-towels, etc. GET an EXTRA long EXTENSION cord and roll it around the ktichen to give you the space YOU need when you need it, OR the access when you need it closer to the food prep, or AWAY from the sight line of the LR? Each side of this little fridge house was painted a different cottage color - but that is personal - he had small kids.

This WAY there is NO fixed space for the fridge and you can open up other areas of the kitchen for other uses? At least until that bubbly is flowing instead of Ale!

But I am t elling you - it was the cutest and best Idea I had seen in a very long time. It even had a liittle roof peak on it. It could also be a little french chalet house? Who cares - the bottom line - you open space along the wall where the fridge is fixed - to be utilized and then moved around while you access all the other areas of the ktichen.

This might do for now - until you get a total re-design and a better hold on the budget?

I am a little confused about OUR help - since you keep talking about doing the whole thing over and getting a designer - which I think is a GREAT idea. When one thinks about it, a Galley kitchen can be GREAT for small space and even better for cooking - where everything is closely located and the REST of the space can be used for all those people.

I have seen some great ones done in smaller New York Townhomes, apartments, etc. some even had built in bench seating or one of those lovely little booth like spaces with bench seating. I certainly would NOT spend the money on installing FRENCH doors or cottage doors when there is NOT a connection between the spaces you describe - I would leave that for another day - since you again mentioned $$$ in this regard. That is an expense not required. I think you have bigger fish to fry.

If you can afford a kitchen designer - I think this might serve you better.

BTW - I love your table - perhaps you could use it in another room as a decorative design component, a lovely lamp, books, workspace and as extra eating space as needed.

Since you have such a large family - with football guys -etc., why not get them to add onto your deck - all the way across the back - when the $$ are available for materials?

I too like the idea of bench seating - works great and saves space by removing chairs, seating more folks.

let us know.
  • PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    11 years ago
    Hi Designitmegan,
    I'd be happy to help you out. Our first two appointments are always free and without obligation, and will give you a wealth of valuable information. Call me and I can answer any questions and make the first appointment. 610-500-4071. Our web site will also be helpful. www.mainlinekitchendesign.com
    Looking forward to speaking with you,
    Paul McAlary
  • designitmegan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    To all of you who responded to me....thank you so very much for all the advice!!!!! And I mean that sincerely!!!

The one thing I left out is that "I did go to a kitchen designer" ..............

Its so great to have a web site like this where there are so many wonderful professionals that are willing to help.

Plumbing for me a free expense! Im lucky enough to have one in the family!!! :)
    Im going to go back and read everything after I get the girls off to school!!

And to those who said I am all over the place!!! ;) I am!!! Im afraid to make a bad decision!! And thanks to you guys hopefully I wont!!!!

Ill let you know what happens!!!!
  • Rio Brewster
    11 years ago
    Well you can trust your instincts since you knew the current plan wasn't really working. Kitchens and baths are the hardest spaces to design. There are many technical requirements and every aspect of the design has to work together.

The big-box store designers go through pretty extensive training on cabinetry and countertops, but not much about lighting, plumbing, flooring, tile - and they are pretty much working with the kitchen space that exists. Only experience teaches you how to look at the bigger space. And at the end of the day - they sell cabinets and countertops - maybe a sink and appliances. They never get to visit the site and never see how their designs turn out. It's a shame because that's how you learn.
  • fabia
    11 years ago
    Designitmegan, I am glad you are talking about consulting with Main Line. He can re-work the plan to create the maximum areas for storage, work and eating. I see a lack of food storage, a pantry near fridge would work. I also think the stove and sink should be closer, maybe get rid of the existing plans sink area. If you are creating anew kitchen then, every surface will be touched. Keep in mind, your budget, have a few " inspiration" shots to understand where you are going with your thoughts.
    I still don't know where the micro is? You are now open to good advise, and I see a fabulous kitchen in your future darlin!

Best of luck. F.
  • designitmegan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Fabia,
    Hi!! I spoke to Paul this morning!! We'll meet next week!!! So Ill keep you up to date!!!
    I'll share the picture with the refrigerator on it. It is supposed to be flanked buy 2 pantry's with rolling shelves. Definity ;) NO sink facing the living room. I really wanted a pretty stove where the fridge was. :(
    then I couldnt find a spot for the fridge! :( Ugh................. Hehe........and I didnt want to block the view!!!!
    Haha all these wish lists in this tiny kitchen!!! Hense, my jumping around!!!! ;)
    Look at the pic.......
    The area to the left are cuboards for glassess and storage
    Center.....we will NOT be doing? :)
    Right is the refrigerator and pantry storage
  • designitmegan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Fabia and to all with there great advice!!! :) - This is what I love!!!!
  • designitmegan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    :) - This is what I love!!!! I love this pass thru!!!! No sink!!!
  • CassiD
    11 years ago
    For your beer budget, AND functionality - keep range where it is. Moving fan and ductwork is money you don't have to spend. Plus, it is nice to be cooking and looking at people sitting at the 42" bar in the dining room. When the dining room is in use as a more formal space, remove chairs and use bar as a serving counter. The 42" allows for a back control panel on the range (more flexibility in selecting appliances) and keeps mess in kitchen out of sight. Counter would be about 18 deep and space under for small proportioned stools is 12". Moving sink and DW a bit to center them on windows would be ideal, but if you are keeping cabinets, this costs $ and may not be all that productive.

If keeping cabinets, paint a light gray. Gray and yellow are very in and very classy. Redo flooring in wood laminate - again, stay with light tones. Move fridge to side wall as designer suggested. If new cabinetry is an expense you cannot afford right now, the wall can be finished in closed storage cabinets from IKEA or wherever you can get them inexpensively. Total for this Reno is about $5,000 or less depending on your choices and labor costs.
  • PRO
    Thomas Cain Landscape Architecture
    8 years ago

There is a good chance that the wall separating the living room and kitchen is load bearing and has ductwork and a lot of wiring in it. Not beer budget material, considering the cost of temporary ceiling shoring, the cost of a new LVL beam, structural support for the new point loads at the ends of the LVL, etc. If that wall isn't load bearing, then the wall presently separating the kitchen and dining area certainly is. One or the other wall is crossing the joists in the ceiling above, and that makes it a load bearing wall.

• User
    8 years ago
    3 year old post
  • Tatjana Grebenjuk ( Baa)
    7 years ago

Smart ideas · More Info

Smart ideas · More Info

Smart ideas · More Info