Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sprucebud

picea omorika: narrow upright forms

sprucebud
14 years ago

I would like to know where it is possible to acquire the narrowest upright forms of picea omorika. I have seen many different examples growing in gardens in Germany, including mature, very tall and very narrow forms. A few months ago I found one nursery in Germany that listed picea omorika 'Select' as the narrowest form but it would appear this nursery has since ceased trading. I know it is variable in form but any info would be appreciated.

Comments (17)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    14 years ago

Can't help with a supplier, but Coenocium has a picture of {{gwi:786122}} from the Gimborn Pinatum in Holland or if you find

you might find a grafter for it.

tj

• gardener365
    14 years ago

I planted about 50 plain old seedlings of Yugoslavia origin (photo 2 from tsugajunkie).

My favorite is 'Gotelli Weeping'. 3 feet tall at the base when 30 feet tall. Silver-Blue big-time.

Coenosium Gardens Picea omorika Cultivars

Dax

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

Hi Richard,

What do you think of this one found by the Holata Nursery from Czech Republic?
    Picea omorika 'Kouty'

It's named after the street were the nursery is.
    At the right side is Mr. Jirí Holata and at the left side his son Roman Holata.
    I received some scionswood of this motherplant and it was succesfull grafted.

• tunilla
    14 years ago

Hi CJ. Put me number 2 on your reservation list... T.

• sprucebud
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Edwin,
    Yes, that looks like a very promising plant.
    Regarding the very narrow form shown in the Gimborn photo, is that a cultivar that is readily available?
    Richard

• gardener365
    14 years ago

Hi Edwin, very good plant.

That is going to be a very dense upright tree like Picea pungens 'Blue Totem'.

Nice indeed!

Dax

• texjagman
    14 years ago

Dax,

I have a specific location the Picea omarika 'Gotelli Weeping' would be perfect for. I love the mature tree shown on the Coenosium site. I'd lke to find a 5-6' specimen from a supplier. When I google this name I seem to find a lot of disagreement on the proper name, names it's sold under, etc. I know Iseli has a 'pendula' they say is basically the same tree. But I'm wanting to make sure I get that same look as the tree from Coenosium.

Can I pick your brain a little on clarifying what you know about the name(s) this tree is sold under?

thx
    Mark

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Edwin,
    Surely the Holatas named their omorika after the Hotel! :0)

• gardener365
    14 years ago

Hi Mark,

I know for certain this tree was donated to the US National Arboretum from a man named Gotelli. Bob Fincham at Coenosium Gardens thought the tree to be far superior than other forms and has named the tree 'Gotelli Weeping' to preserve the name of this tree as best as possible. In his yearly catalogs he describes this tree as I have saying that the tree did die and that luckily he secured scionwood from it, prior. He also has described the dimensions in his catalogs as only being 3 feet wide at the base when 30 feet tall, despite the photo.

I know of no-one else selling this cultivar than Bob.

All of the "Pendula Forms" available are going to be chance at best. If you see a photo of Iseli's 'Pendula' you can be sure your tree will be the same as what the list as 'Pendula'. If you go to a nursery an buy a tree simply listed as 'Pendula', you'll never know what you're buying until years ahead.

I'm sure if you did call around to places such as Gee Farms or Rich's Foxwillow Pines where there are literally thousands of plants for sale (and not listed in their catalogs) you might be able to find one. 'Gotelli Weeping' is the only name you should ever purchase this plant, as.

Bob sells one-gallon plants. You should of course inquire about this in an email correspondence or over the telephone where you'll likely speak with Diane, his wife.

Best of luck!!! It's an excellent tree. Of most of the conifers in my backyard when standing from my deck, it's the one my eye veers off to, always. It's not much to see yet (purchased in 2007 in a one-gallon).

Far too sunny for any best-quality photos yet, their pretty good:

Dax

• gardener365
    14 years ago

p.s. I remembered that the tree at the US National Arboretum was also named 'Pendula'. A paperwork trail may find you the right tree, yet I have no idea if anyone else other than Bob is propagating it. A phone call should clear that all up or better yet, an email.

Again, good luck.

Dax

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

claims of narrowness aside ...

THESE THINGS HAVE GREAT POTENTIAL....

you better have lots of space... as in a mountain side ...

never forget .. if momma is 150 feet or meters tall and 50 feet wide .... a narrower version can be a mere 30 feet wide ...

i am getting rather irritated at my p. o. pendula .... i suspect it will meet the chainsaw within a decade.. or cover half an acre ...

i am working myself up.. to overcome separation anxiety when the day comes ... lol

BTW,..... its one of the mean ones.. you arent going to be all touchy feely with this needle sharp monster ...

ken

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

Hi Richard,
    That specimen at the Von Gimborn Arboretum is a seedling selection but this is the shape the real Picea omorika have in it's native enviroment!
    The Picea omorika we known in Europe as Christmas trees are seedling selections taken from wider growing trees.

Hi Stephen,
    Yes you are right, it's named after the hotel from which to owner was very friendly to us and we could spend the evening with the four of us in the lobby without any refreshments.
    I tried to forget all about this, but now everything comes back to me as a nightmare :0(
    Luckely the next morning we got some strong medicine from Mr Jirí Holata and the rest of the day everything was fine ;0)

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Hi Edwin,
    Don't forget the food we had that night ...eggs and something or other, I can't remember...twice!

I think though Kouty is the name of the village, or the immediate area where we were.

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

Hi Stephen,

Now you mentioned about the food, I have to call a schrink.
    This bad memory won't leave my mind anymore!
    I think everything in that neighbourhood is called Kouty:
    Street, hotel, pub, restaurant, pretty girl next door and now this Picea ;0)

• gardener365
    14 years ago

I could use a little strong medicine and some Kouty right about now! HA!

Schrink

• gardener365
    14 years ago

Ken...

I want to show you what "good spacing" looks like with my Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping'... I'm not dissing you at all dude. Your 'Pendula' was a shot in the dark I realize entirely.

Pinus sylvestris 'Barrie Bergman' (left) and a miniature Pinus mugo cultivar straight ahead of that:
    {{gwi:786137}}

Same mugo
    {{gwi:786138}}

(Left) Pinus parviflora 'Goldylocks' then past that is Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn'; nothing front right at the present.
    {{gwi:786140}}

A Cat was used instead of a Bic Lighter for demonstrating purposes...

Dax