Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shannoncaden

need help picking a curtain color & print

Sherry Mau
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
my living room, dining room and kitchen all connect so im having trouble injecting color into these spaces(do i put the same accent color in all 3 spaces because they're connected or do i put one color for each space?). so far I have revere pewter walls in all three spaces, white trim and baseboards, and black shelves, lighting, front door. my kitchen counters are blue pearl granite which looks black during the day but at night the blue and silver specks pop(really pretty) and my cabinets are a dark cherry wood. Im hoping to pick curtains with color so i can use that to accessorize the rest of the space. my house looks so neutral, no color except one chair that i decided to paint red just for the heck of it. when i put a curtain with color up it just looks weird. i guess i have a color phobia, lol. any advice or help would be appreciated. oh forgot to mention that the curtains is for the sliding glass doors in the dining space(i wasnt able to upload that pic, sorry)
thanks,
sherry

Comments (44)

• bamamom
    11 years ago
    Sherry is that a blue/grey color in the light over your table? Is there some similar blue in your dining chairs? If so, I think I would go with a blue to pull that out, plus with the blue in your granite; that will pull from there as well.

It appars that you have rolldown bamboo type shades in the livingroom? Leave those and then just hang a panel on either end and one in the corner where the windows join. Leaving the shades will help to keep the living area window a little different, but having the curtains the same in both dining area and living area will tie everything together.
  • bamamom
    11 years ago
    Sherry, sorry just looked at your question again and realized that you asked about paint color. I think the existing Revere Pewter looks very nice in your space.

I was able to enlarge the picture of your living area, and realized there are three windows there. I would still do the same with the panels at each end, in the corner and then in between the two windows behind the sofa.

What color is the sofa? The picture is dark, but the sofa appears to be a chocolate fabric?
  • Sherry Mau
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    actually the dining light use to be white but i painted it black and the chairs are black and white as well. basically, my house consists of black, white, revere pewter(grey) and a brown couch. and yes the livingroom has bamboo shades. I also was just thinking of using blue, maybe a teal or navy blue and white curtains. thanks for the comment bamamom! no you read it right the first time, it is for curtain color and style.
  • bamamom
    11 years ago
    :-) Try the blue and teal combination. I think those will be very nice against the black and the chocolate.

My house has pretty much the same colors, but; I have tan instead of grey! Ha.
  • Sherry Mau
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    hope this is a better pic of where i want to put up the curtains. also i found these two curtains tell me what you think.
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    I am a big fan of Revere Pewter. I also like rooms which are open to each other painted the same color. Interestingly, I went on the Ben Moore site just to see what coordinating colors were recommended and there was this article about Barclay Butera's new fabric line for Kravet and the recommended paint colors he suggests for his line. For Revere Pewter he proposes his Kravet Butera City Collection. Maybe these fabrics would give you an idea of how to incorporate different fabrics throughout the three rooms...throw pillows, window treatments, etc.
  • bamamom
    11 years ago
    Much better photos. Of the two curtain photos you attached, I personally prefer the top right picture.

So, are there four windows in the living room area or three? The table in the second set of pictures, behind the chaise part of the sectional with the lamp, is it possible to slide that more behind the sofa? or put it at the other end of the sectional by the front door? I ask because I was thinking the sofa could be pulled forward to cover the wall space behind the sofa. What is the tan chair facing, front door? I'm trying to understand the floorplan.

I still think the same curtains on the sliding doors in the dining area and in the living area. Just frame the ones in the living area and keep the rolldown shades there.
  • bamamom
    11 years ago
    Sherry I think what is really throwing me off, is the same picture appears to be flipped. Like the dining room in the first set the sliding door appears to the left in the second set it appears to the right.
    The front door, I'm not sure if your walk in and the seating area is left or right as you enter.
  • Sherry Mau
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    sorry for the confusion, I was trying to look for some pics with better lighting that's why the pics seemed flipped and the windows look like one is left and one is right. plus these pics are older the first set of pics are the ones i just took with my mac book. ok, my living, dining and kitchen is in an "L" shape. when you walk in the front door the seating is to my right( 3 big windows with the bamboo shade) and to my left is the tv. if you look straight (from the front door) I will be looking at my dining room which has the big sliding glass doors to the right, so all the windows and sliding glass doors are on the right. to the left of the diningroom is the kitchen. sorry I couldnt fit the whole layout in one pic so i had to put up separate pics. btw, the one with the sep. chair is an old pic. i only have the brown sectional in the livingroom now and a black computer armoire in between the dining and living room. the couch is actually placed in a cut out like how my tv area is(does that make sense?) hope that helps
  • bamamom
    11 years ago
    Sherry, That helps so much. I've got a picture in my head now. :-)

Okay, since the windows and sliding door are all on the same side of the house, I woud definitely keep the curtains all the same. Use the panels to frame the windows with the shade, closing or not whichever you choose. Then the same for the sliding window as a functional curtain for privacy, etc.

I can see the colors better on my laptop at home vs the computer at work. So the curtains on the top right I really think would work best with your sofa, rug and shades.

I'm still blown away that you painted the shade on the light fixture over your dining table. That is a great job! Very nice.

Oh, I would use black (wrought iron) type rods for the curtains. Hang the rod about halfway between the top of the window frame and the ceiling (the bulkhead in the living area). I see the hanging brackets on the wall over the sliding door in your last set of pictures. That would work well for that window and should be right at the same height as the rods in the living room. That way all the curtains will be at the same height since they are all pretty much on the same wall.

Good luck. Post pictures when your finished.
  • Sherry Mau
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    thanks for all the great advice, i'll def. post some pics of the finished rooms
  • bamamom
    11 years ago
    Sure. Follow your heart/gut and you will know exactly what is "it" when you see it. Look forward to pics.
  • woofwoof
    11 years ago
    Having just done window treatments for a new house with a warm but relatively neutral paint pallette with white trim throughout, I can tell you that the rooms where I kept the window curtains neutral work much better than the ones where I injected a pattern. Those curtains you show don't work at all.....the contrast is too harsh, and the pattern looks like it's for a kids room (sorry if I offend.) Keep your curtains neutral, to blend with the walls, but use quality dark iron hardware for contrast , then use accessories (pillows, rugs, pictures, kitchen items etc), to inject color into the room. Then you're not locked into one look. I'm already planning when I can replace the very expensive window treatments I put up in my master -- a nice floral in small batches, but totally overpowers the room on the floor to ceiling curtains on my big window. Good luck.
  • Sherry Mau
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I also was looking at this option, white and navy blue stripes. I actually made a set for my older sons room. I ordered these pillows covers(pic from Teal & Lime blog) in Navy blue & white, and red & white.
  • Sherry Mau
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    tried this, this morning. what do you all think? anyone? btw the dark stripe is navy blue
  • bamamom
    11 years ago
    Sherry, I like the stripe!!! I was going to ask yesterday if you had sewing skills and if so, was going to suggest sewing some panels. Since you have the stripes in son's room, maybe do a solid navy in the living areas? That could go with the pillows that you ordered. If the navy solid, you could really go with a brushed nickel rod.
    Keep us posted.
  • Sherry Mau
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    will do
  • Sherry Mau
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    ok, here is what i ended up picking for curtains and colors. not much of a change but i'm slowly adding in pops of color with pillows and accessories. I diy'd the curtains from drop cloths and painted black stripes. i added the navy and white chevron and red and white floral pillows. I ordered a pair of teal, red, lime and grey colored pillows with owls. my neutral or base colors are: black, white, and gray. my pop of colors are: teal, red, navy. tell me what you all think.
  • bamamom
    11 years ago
    I like the curtains! I'm not sure about the small turquoise pillows. I think your tying those in with the lamps on the dark piece of furiture by the slider? I feel there needs to be something larger on the top with that lamp. Or, is there any chance you could slide the sectional out from the windows and put a plant stand or something in that corner (where the living room windows meet) and put the lamp there? It just needs something to bring that shade over to that side of the room.
    Want to see what the new pillows look like when they arrive.
    Maybe some others will jump in and give suggestions.
  • PRO
    Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
    11 years ago
    Enjoyed reading about your curtain journey - they look great by the way!
  • Sherry Mau
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @ bamamom the small pillows are temp. until the new ones arrive, they all will be the same size. the reason for the turquoise pillow is yes i'm trying to tie it with the lamp as well as a chalkboard i have thats facing the kitchen. as far as the armoire top I was thinking of putting picture frames as well but not sure of the colors for the frames(either the accent colors or just white like the owl.) thanks for the input! here's the chalk board (excuse the mess) Im debating what color to paint the chairs as well. my house is a never ending work in progress!! LOL
  • bamamom
    11 years ago
    I totally understand about the house being a work in progress! Same here. LOL.
    I understand now about the turquoise. I had another thought for lighting over the sofa...kind of a retro idea...a hanging small chandelier in that corner, maybe even something with the turquoise glass color. We can probably find something on HOUZZ for some ideas.
    If you have the lime green pillows coming...how about painting the chairs that color? I think you have candles that color on the table?
    Picture frames...I'm always partial to black frames with white mattes.
    Looking forward to seeing the new pillows.
  • bamamom
    11 years ago
    Worlds Away Venus Pendant Capiz Shell Floral, Turquoise - $423.00 [ Visit Store » ]
    Sherry, this is an example of what I was trying to explain above. I think a plug in type pendant, retro, would be great...hang the pendant over seating area (corner) then swag the chain back toward the corner, let the chain hang down and plug in behind the couch. Even something lime green would work!
    If you can't see this from where I tried to link...go to my ideabook "foyer" and it is in there.
  • Sherry Mau
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    very pretty. i'll try and play around with the idea and see what i come up with. thanks for the great ideas!
  • bamamom
    11 years ago
    Ok...good luck. Look forward to seeing how everything turns out.
  • Melissa Cee
    11 years ago
    Hi Sherry! - Lighting fixtures, owl, and striped curtains are super cute. I'm liking that vignette most of all here. I can tell you have some really fun taste and I definitely say go for it with continuing to experiment and try to work in things that you love! Nothing wrong with being bold and having your house stand out. As for the kitchen chairs, why not paint some black and white stripes on the chairs to tie em' in with the curtains... could be interesting.. the question would just be go with horizontals or verticals... the taping would be challenging but I'm sure you can do it. I think an all around drape treatment behind the sectional (with either an L shaped rod or two bars in an L shape if that is easier would continue the look you're going for). I think continuing to work in and experiment in the color palette of black, white, turquoise and red will end up giving you a very unique home that you'll love. Below are two photos of draperies and two photos I just thought I'd share with ya because they reminded me of your eclectic space. :) - woops.. accidentally sent the top right one and meant to send the following instead.. stay tuned:
  • Sherry Mau
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I actually was thinking of possibly removing the chairs under the chalkboard and putting a Diy bench under. I guess you could say i'm sort of eclectic with my home decor, I just see stuff I like and want to put it in my house, LOL. I'm torn between having a modern/contemporary and cottage style home. I like the clean lines, uncluttered look but at the same time like the personal touches that the cottage style decor offers. I have kids so I want my house to say welcome and dont be afraid to sit on my couch but with a modern touch. as far as curtains behind the sectional I kinda dont want to just because I feel like it will give the space a heavy feeling(if that makes sense) my house is so tiny that i dont want to overwhelm the space(only 1099sq.ft interior: 3bd/2bath) with too much clutter.
  • Melissa Cee
    11 years ago
    Ah, now I better understand what feel you're working on! I definitely understand your thoughts on those curtains! It is true that things like that can work well in a picture, but in a regular sized home a little too heavy. At first thought the brown in your blinds and couch might have been competing a little too much with your blacks/grays/navys [perhaps not in person but just due to camera flash] for you and was trying to think of a quick way to bring it all together. In the future, solid navy or linen white blinds/roman shades could be fun to try. Regarding your 1099, It's great that your space is open... small square footage is a-ok and even often preferred in my book if a space feels open enough! I definitely understand being torn between two styles... I love many styles myself. Have you heard about the mini design "movement" in recent years called "funky cottage?" It reminds me a little of what people used to often call "modern country" but with usually brighter accent colors/more bold geometric prints. Basically people get the look by choosing a basic color palette, then adding pieces they love in a quirky yet clean way... then stepping back every now and then and "editing" (taking away anything that makes it just a bit too cluttered or multi-color - unless of course you prefer the multi-color!) I think the look in the first picture below shows mostly one accent color is a safe/stressfree way to "get the look." The cool thing about black and white (or very dark navy and white) is that you can change your accent color from season to season or year to year and completely change your look just by switching out the accessories. - Love that black and white bench by the way and again, love that you picked stripes for the kitchen curtains! I think your own "cottage" is going to be great! Can't wait to see how it turns out. -pic is from a "funky cottage" spread in Country Living Magazine (black/white/mostly one accent color) - looks a little "retro" but that is really just because of their particular accessories choices.. anyway, just a little late night design rambling. ;)
  • Sherry Mau
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I'm sooo "funky cottage" LOL! I'm constantly editing my living space that it drives my family insane. I can totally see myself living in a house that looks like the one on the left minus the plates around the window. I like the one on the right but it looks too "model" like and makes me scared to sit on the furniture because i might get it dirty, haha!
  • Melissa Cee
    11 years ago
    So agreed about the one on the right! - actually just edited my answer and was trying to add that! There are some elements there are a lot more formal than I like to see in living spaces!
  • Melissa Cee
    11 years ago
    On another note, I wonder if there are any "funky cottage" blogs or books.. that would be a popular one!
  • Melissa Cee
    11 years ago
    I'm right there with ya - switching things out all of the time - (not really for seasons but just because:) and Ah - Hawaii!! - Who wouldn't love it! ... but I Have heard the one downside is the lack of mainland stores/higher prices and completely understand about the sectional. I actually have the same situation here.. first choice was something different but certain sofas, well, I just have to find a stand in for!. I do like your sectional though! - think it looks really comfortable and well made compared to most! uh oh, I'd better call it a night.. look forward to keeping up with your new finds/additions!
  • Sherry Mau
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    thanks for the great conversation. sorry to keep you up, it's only 9:45pm here so not quite my bed time yet, i always forget about the time difference. hope to get more useful and fun advice from you.
  • Melissa Cee
    11 years ago
    You also Sherry! EST here and as you see I'm just a night owl so certainly no need to apologize! - Eek, I just look at the clock and then, uh oh where did the time go!? : ]
  • Sherry Mau
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here is a little update to some of the changes I've made so far, any advice or opinions?
  • bamamom
    11 years ago
    Sherry I like the new candi! The new framed pieces on the hutch look really nice too! Great job! When will your pillows arrive?
  • Sherry Mau
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    bamamom i just got word that they should be arriving this week sometime, I'm so excited to put everything together. i'm glad you like it, my hubby needs a little convincing on the dining light tho, LOL! i will put more pics up as i finish each project.
  • bamamom
    11 years ago
    Hubby's at time do need some convincing. I've been convincing my about things for 36 years on the 23rd of this month! Ha! My most recent...agreeing to paint our early 1970's reddish/orange brick fireplace. I've not done it yet, I did paint the mantel an espresso color from the white that it was and I'm liking that pretty much. When I get the curtain hung on the windows on either side, then I'll make the final decision about the brick. I also need to get a mirror for the mantel. I'd rather have a mirror than the current piece of artwork (shoreline painting) as it would give more options for decorating the mantel.
    Look forward to seeing the pictures when you get everything in place. So excited for you! I really like your space and am amazed at what you have done with the square footage you have to work with! Great job!
  • Sherry Mau
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    ok got my owl pillow cases in. here is my house so far.
  • bamamom
    11 years ago
    Sherry...I love them!!!! It has eally come together! Great job! Congrats!
    PS Are you okay there? I heard on the news about Tsunami warnings for the islands.
  • Sherry Mau
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    thanks bamamom! yes, we're ok. i believe the biggest wave came in at maybe 3 ft. on maui. I'm on oahu and the biggest wave that came in was around 1.5ft(approx.) it's funny here, people go crazy over getting gas. i don't know why, we're an island it's not like we can drive anywhere except in a circle, Haha! here's a close up of the pillows, I so love these owl covers.
  • bamamom
    11 years ago
    Good to hear! That's funny...driving around in circles! We were stationed on an island for two years and took 3 1/2 hours to drive around the whole island on the outer highway. I understand about the "panic" mode when a warning for something is issued. Here in Alabama...we MAY get some ice and freezing rain....grocery stores are empty and people lined up for gas. Why, your not going to drive on the iced roads and it normally only last 1-2 days. Seriously you would think people could survive a day or two with what they have on hand. anyway...not for this site. :-)
    Thanks for the closeup of the covers. Those really are cute! The coordinate so well with the other two pillows. You did good!
  • Sherry Mau
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    thanks!