FIND PROFESSIONALS
linda_brookes

You know you're addicted to gardening when ....

Linda_Brookes

You know you're addicted to gardening when every container at the dollar store, regardless of size, shape, color or intended purpose, is viewed as a potential plant pot.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE

... when every time you take a break from gardening, you are checking the forums, blogs or websites for updates or re-re-re-reading the same gardening books/magazines for the billionth time.

• judo_and_peppers

...when your new wife starts worrying that you'll be wrapping your kids in bubble wrap because of how attentive/protective you are with your plants.

You know you live in California when...

Hurricanes, snowstorms, and blizzards come with a few days advance warning so you can stock your fridge, gas up your snowblower and buy a generator. Earthquakes and mudslides cause damage before you even realize they've happened. I do miss the Farmer's Markets and all the vegetarian/vegan options for eating, though.

What should you know when you buy a new build?

In relation to above, my builder did include toilet accessories, but did not include anything else listed. One thing that I'd check in on is how long to expect (after occupancy) things like sidewalks, driveways, light posts (new community) to take. For example, we moved in May 29th, first house on the block, and they just poured our sidewalks today. We will not have a garage pad poured for at least another week, probably longer. We did recevieve a landscaping credit, however we were warned that we should not soft scape until after the winter, as the ground can shift and become uneven. The builder will then apply more dirt to even it out back to proper grade, however I did not know this, and was expecting to start landscaping right away. A few things are also DRASTICALLY more expensive through a builder, which can be done later for cheaper, but if done with the builder you can roll it into your mortgage. For example, our builder was going to charge 25k for a double detached garage. Other companies quoted me 12k. Central Air (a luxury where I live as it is not needed very often) was 6k through a builder, 2-3k through local companies. Do some research into the 'add ons' that you are looking for, and if you have the out of pocket cash, I'd rather do that personally.

Don't buy Samsung refrigerator if you're going by 2014 NEC...

I would like suggestions about what to do with all of my "stuff" (electronics, ie printer laptop, kindle, IPad) that's laying around in my bedroom

Go home 50's, you're drunk

Thanks everyone ! We're not staying here, so spending over $1000 on swapping doors plus my husband finding the time to do it, isn't logical. The pictures of your paneled doors do not look bad. The previous owner did on the living room closet and the it looks cheesy, but maybe it's just a poor choice of trim. And no! Thankfully the bathroom is not pink, but it's grey and maroon with awful wallpaper, so not much better lol.
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 8b)

...You have more photos of your plants than your kids :P

• greenie1_gw

People ask nicely how you're doing, and you launch into a diatribe about the powdery mildew on your tomatoes.

This post was edited by Greenie1 on Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 19:35

• bradisha

You come home after a long stressful day at work, but as soon as you hop out of the car instead of heading inside you wander around the garden to see what bloom since this morning and totally forget the days problems..

• Rhonda

When every day on your lunch you hit Lowe's, Home Depot, the UF butterfly plant sale or Garden Gate looking for that clearance plant you can't pass up (even though you have no idea where you'll put it) or that plant you don't have. Then, you wait til hubby goes to bed to unload them from the car and hide the pots in the middle of a garden. Lol. Never works, the dogs always to manage to sniff them out.

Bradisha,
    How did you know what I do EVERY evening? :) I leave for work at 6:30 in the morning and don't get home until at least 7:00. But, I HAVE to walk around and check the growth, pull the weeds and sit and watch the hummers til the sun sets.

• shear_stupidity

You take pictures of your garden every week or two and compare them to last week, last month, last year.

You find yourself trying to force your passion into other peoples' hearts and ears to make them understand WHY the fact that that particular plant having a bloom on it is SUCH a big deal... but you try to do it quickly before their eyes glaze over.

Your daughter draws pictures of you surrounded by plants and labels them "Crazy Plant Lady."

No one gives you gifts any more that don't belong in the yard or shed.

Robert... let's call him "Robert," from Leu Gardens crooks a finger at you and asks above the din, "Ma'am? Can I talk to you about your CUTTINGS?"
    (But then he turns out to be awesomely cool... and explains their 6-cuttings-per-adult-per-day policy... yet lets you keep the 8 you'd already claimed.)

• thonotorose

You can't wait for your comfy shoes to get a little ratty so they can be used with your shovel instead of all those other needs.

• shear_stupidity

You get a little giddy as you toss Virginia Creeper and Artillery Fern into a blazing campfire, roots and all!

• garyfla_gw

Hi
    When remodeling the bathroom, the bath ended up full of gingers while the sink harbors club mosses . Did draw the line at the toilet even though it will hold soil. Did use the tank though lol Will admit that it looks suspiciously like a "bathtub " rather than a "designer" flower pot . MORE planting lol gary

• bradisha

Hi rvir01 I guess our priorities are garden first everything else next LOL :) We are all wonderfully addicted .

• amberroses

When you hear the soundtrack from the show Hoarders when you go out into your yard. You know, the single piano key stroke.

If you have to be addicted to something, there are worse things.

• KaraLynn

When you take out the days aggravations on the weeds growing in your garden and just feel the stess melt away!

I'll never forget the time when I was still living with my parents and they came home one day to find me out in their garden muttering to my self and yanking out weeds with a vengence after I'd had a fight with my much younger sister. They thought I had lost my mind but wheren't about to argue with the free yard maintenance! lol

• KaraLynn

When your neighbors catch you outside giving your plants a pep talk, either praising them for doing so good or asking why they just won't grow!

• kayjones

You know you're addicted to gardening when you go to a box store and can't find ONE plant you don't already have!

When the dirt in your house is really potting soil mixed with dust bunnys - who has time to clean?!!!

When you are willing to pay more for mail order postage than the cost of the plant you're ordering!

When you have so many potted plants in your yard and home that visitors ask if you are operating a plant nursery! LOL

When your yard looks better, with more plants, than a botanical garden!

• kayjones

• ckjudd

.........when the coffee cup goes out to the garden with you just so you can get an early start to the day.

• shear_stupidity

You're outside gardening with that coffee, then glance at the time and realize: a) It's after noon, b) you are still in your pajamas, c) you haven't eaten anything today.

This post was edited by shear_stupidity on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 13:03

• marly42

This is scary...I have every single one of these symptoms, and identify with every one of you!

• wordie89

... you're still outside after dark pulling weeds and your family keeps coming outside to call you in. ... you're making just one last trip With the wheelbarrow, you're dancing around on piles of freshly shoveled dirt, you've been outside longer than you've been at work, the neighbor has made two dog walks, you don't even realize your son has come out of the house, started the car and left for classes...and you're only 15 feet away from the driveway!

• ladywingr

Your spend $75 on a twelve inch block to put under an existing birdbath.

(A new shovel, two pair of gloves, a dozen or so plants, yard art.... and ONE twelve inch block)

• shear_stupidity

You can feel your skin getting a sunburn, but are too focused on what you're doing to go get the sunscreen.

• zzackey

When the first thing you want to do in morning is to go out and look at your gardens. If it was cooler I think I could stay outside with them day and night. I'm just so at peace in the garden.

• vincesfl

When the google earth satellite image of your property looks like a rainforest canopy.

When a tour of your garden requires notes in summary.

When you have names for your obese resident squirrels.

When there's more shade then sun in your yard and your lawn guy has to duck and weave as he cuts the lawn.

• aharriedmom

I love this thread. So many apply to me - as I sit in here with my coffee waiting for it to get light enough to go outside with my coffee.

• aharriedmom

Oh, I'm also surprised that no one mentioned fingernails... I also plan to wear gloves all the time, but often catch myself digging without them. My poor fingernails really dislike spring!

• thetradition

When you drive home from Atlanta to Central Florida via Tallahassee to pick up a pecan tree, rationalizing that the extra 110 miles and three hours of travel time is "on the way."

• Chaoticdreams

Tallahassee pecan tree???? We're wanting to plant two of them this year and the closet I can find was in GA. Tallahassee is only 2 hours away. (Eh, drove it often when I was going to FSU so not a big deal.)

As for me...... telling myself this plant will be the last plant I buy this year, then going into a box store and not resisting buying yet another so that now, what was supposed to be a small temporary garden while we wait to move has become a massive jungle enclosed in chain link fence. Sigh.....

And yes to the fingernail thing. I'm too lazy to put on gloves half the time and all ten hate me.

• thetradition

Just Fruits and Exotics in Crawfordsville carries pecan trees. Call ahead and make sure, though. They reserved an Elliot for me last fall with a deposit.

• thetradition

doublepost

This post was edited by TheTradition on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 13:04

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE

... when it suddenly starts raining and "Are my windows down?" never crosses your mind, but " What plants are ready to be planted?" does.

• shear_stupidity

When you're in the pool... supposedly to "relax," ... but you keep spinning in a slow circle eyeballing your plants and making to-do lists.

• slopfrog

...when you pull over on the side of the interstate to pick up a plastic pot that blew out of someone's truck.

• thetradition

"...when you pull over on the side of the interstate to pick up a plastic pot that blew out of someone's truck."

I have done that... I"ve stopped for wayward bags of mulch and sod pieces, too.

• Rhonda

...when you walk up to the cashier at the grocery store to check out and start talking about how it looks like rain and you whine about how much your plants need it. The cashier, a complete stranger, working at a store 45 minutes from home, says her plants really need the rain too. You both start talking about your gardens and you find out she lives just a mile down the road from you. She asks if you want some 4 o'clocks and you say yes. You ask if she wants some succulent starts and she says yes. So the weekend you meet at her house and now you have new plants and a new gardening friend :)

• aharriedmom

Nice! ^

• irma_stpete_10a

"Bump" from June last year (for anyone who, like me, missed this wonderful thread).

• scents_from_heaven

When you carry your camera everywhere to photograph plants, trees, gardens, etc.

When you go for a midnight ride in your power hair to do some pruning of plants along your way that just need the trimming and need to be rooted.

When you travel five hours or more away from your home to attend a plant swap.

When you would rather have fresh cow manure and composted dirt for your birthday along with that five hour trip to Crawfordville and all the other nurseries in Tallahassee that you are familiar with.

When you dream about your garden and plants at night

When the magazines around the house are seed catalogs with highlighted things you want.

When you've been sick for a year and die inside when you see the plants and cuttings other gardening friends have shared with you crispy and dead because your non gardening housemate did not tend to them properly and you threatened to kick him out but punish him by forcing him to pull the year worth of weeds and air potato vines. The joy you feel when you see a little life in a plant and the pride when you nurse it back to good health.

• bradisha

When your FB pictures/postings are all about the garden :)-Love this thread :)

• Pyewacket

You are using the Interactive Zone map to try to find housing you can afford as close to zone 10 as you can manage ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Interactive USDA hardiness zone map for FL

• shear_stupidity

LOL@ "as close to zone 10 as you can manage"! So true! (Notice I'm 9B)

• SusieQsie_Fla

You see your old friend's name in an old post on GW and it makes you smile . . .

and then you see her name in a new post and it makes you want to write in all caps:

BRIDGET - ARE YOU BACK?

• Kalie

... When someone new asks you what you like to do with your time and you say "Gardening..." and then of course they ask you what you grow and you say "Corn, beans, eggplant, tomatoes, okra, I've got about 100 pepper plants at any given time, of course the herbs, greens, lettuce, radish, root crops most of the time - I just love beets and parsnips and turnips and carrots don't you?, and my fruit trees and bushes are great... plus all of the beautiful flowers and the bamboo, and last year I started a bunch of coffee seedlings and they are actually growing, and I'm really looking forward to my garlic coming up, etc etc etc" and the person looks at you like "Okaaaaaaay... well it was nice talking to you."

• organic_elizabeth_b

When out of shear travel insanity, you find yourself gardening at 3am, with a headlamp, getting that LAST plant in before a trip away from the garden (and forcing bug man R to help), and feeling like you are a graveyard digger as a side profession.