Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

Kara? Glass adhesive for garden art?

solstice98
14 years ago

Kara,

Your glass sculptures have inspired me and I've been trying to put together some glassware to hang from the trees around my garden. But I'm struggling with the silicone adhesive! They are fine stacked up and glued together but when I suspend them the don't all stay together. What did you use on your pieces?

You can email me at solstice98@att.net.

Thanks!

Kate

Comments (10)

• laura1
    14 years ago

The glue to use is GE Silicone II for windows and doors.

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks!

• KaraLynn
    14 years ago

That's what I use too. Sorry for not getting back to you, Kate. I've been busy painting my living room, dining room, and kitchen. And then on saturday I found a feral kitten that just had to be rescued on my front porch. The kitten, named Fang, is now flea free and living on my back porch and I'm nursing two fingers with bites on them! Can you guess why I named him Fang? LOL

Kara

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Kara. I'm working with the GE product now and for totems it's working great. I'm still having a little trouble with some of the suspended pieces. It's fine if they are lightweight but of course I have a few pieces that are heavy but too pretty not to use! I'll use the GE where I can and use wire to give it additional strength when the goop doesn't work alone.

I've been checking out a couple Goodwill stores every day and finding lots of great treasures! Today I found a wonderful mirrored tall candle stick with a few of the mirrors broken off for $1.99 and a glass goldfish bowl for $0.69 to go on top of it. A couple of glass plates and some flat marbles and it will be another sun-catching gem in the garden! Now, where did I put that old bowling ball???

(wine bottle, small brandy stemware, couple chipped depression glass plates, weird old 1950's orange thing, bluebird of happiness, green Christmas candle bowl and blue flat marbles)

• ginibee
    14 years ago

Kate, that is so charming!! I love the red accent with the blue. Hope you post pics of your hanging creations too.

Ginny

• katkin_gw
    14 years ago

Kate that is lovely!!! I keep saying I am going to make some totems, but never get around to it. I even bought the GE Silicone. I've seen the wonderful things they make over on Garden Junk. Even with this heat, I'm still out there weeding and pruning. Some people just have no sense. lol

Yes, please show us what else you make. ;o)

• ninecrow
    14 years ago

Will have to have a look out for some of that Glue...
    I've done suff with Dead Light Bulbs before but Not done any Glass work as Such. But you got me thinking....
    Heres one of my Bulbs...

Sorry to Hyjack your post Kate *Blush*

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Not a problem! I like your lightbulb. One of my co-workers paints bulbs for Christmas decor too. I'll see if I can get one of her pictures - you'll love the reindeer!

Kate

• gatormomx2
    14 years ago

Kate - LOVE your totem ! You really have an artistic eye for form and color .

If you find anything that glues glass together better than GE Silicon II - please post it here . I have a glass candlestick holder that the cats broke . Nothing seems to hold the one piece back together for long . Hmmm ....

Not to be a downer --- Goodwill has senior citizen discount days . Not sure if the age is 55 or more . Some stores like Bealls Outlet have their discount age at 50 for 15% off - while other store make the age 55 . Worth checking out for future discounts .

When purchasing glassware , some Thrift Stores will offer huge discounts if you buy in bulk. If you see a small store like Habitat or a Church run shop has too much glass or dishware - make them an offer . An example is - " I'll take all the dishes and glassware off your hands for $50 . " This way they make money and have room for more merchandise while you have more than enough product for future projects . You can always donate what you don't want or need to shelters or Freecycle it . Or get someone else to go in on this with you and split the goodies .

Keep up the good work !

• wanda662
    14 years ago

Oh Kate, you ought to see this bowling ball! Love your totem.

Here is a link that might be useful: bowling ball