FIND PROFESSIONALS
aling_gw

herbs in containers vs in the ground

aling

I apologize in advance as I am sure this question has been answered (probably numerous times) but there are no FAQ's for this forum, and the search I tried did not work. So please accept my apology for any redundancy.

My first attempt at herb gardening was last season with absolutely NO success. I know some of my newbie errors and am working on correcting them this year. My question is this... I would like to have a container herb garden on my back porch so that I do not have to walk out to the main veggie garden every time I want to use some (not to mention that I am pretty much out of room). I just keep reading that herbs do better in the ground. But you see herbs grown together in pretty little pots at the stores... Do they really do OK in containers? and can more than one really be planted together? I bought really big 26-30 inch pots for this use, thinking I could plant 3 types in each... If so, can you tell me which would do better planted together?

My herbs are:

Sweet Basil

Genovese Basil (Can someone tell me the difference between these 2 basils?)

Oregano

Chives

Garlic Chives

Common Thyme

long island mammoth dill

Cilantro

Italian parsley

Rosemary (pretty sure this one needs to be separate container regardless... right?)

chamomile

balm lemon

Thanks in advance!

Andrea