Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjandhk

sage green vs olive green

jjandhk
11 years ago
I'm wanting to paint our bedroom similar to the colour in the attached photo...is it sage green or olive green....and what is the difference?
thanks!

Comments (22)

• mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    It's more of a pea green!
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    I would call this an olive green or avacado, a green with yellow to brown tones. I would describe sage as a green with blue and gray undertones,
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    check out benjamin moore "jalapeno pepper"????? or a paint name with split pea or green apple or something in those palettes. Think you may find what you're looking for!!! :)
    and one more thing...in this photo you posted it looks like they painted the ceiling in the green as well. It will look different if the ceiling is in a white color. And of course the lighting in your room. Take a sample home and try it on the wall first. It usually looks different in the stores! happy painting! i like it!
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    I don't think it's either. It's too dark to be sage, and too bright to be olive. I think it looks like split pea soup! At least on my monitor, that is.
  • anitajoyce
    11 years ago
    More olive or pea green. definitely not sage green. Sage green has a grey under tone. olive and pea have a kinda yellow undertone.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    I think it's whatever it looks like to YOU! When someone selects a color from a picture, they can often be disappointed to find that in reality it's a color they don't particularly like. So I suggest you go to the paint store and pick up paint chips of all the colors you think are a possibility. Take them home and look at them with the photo. Select what you think is closest. Then buy a sample, paint a large piece of poster board with the sample and examine it in your own home at different times of the day.
  • barbav
    11 years ago
    Sherwin Williams has something called chip it and color snap. One of these tools allows you to take a picture and get all the color chips that coordinate with it. Or you can print out the picture and take it to the store and have salespeople match the color in a sample jar for you to try in your home- paint a posterboard as Carolyn said and see how you like it. I have taken them everthing from clothing to a cabinet sample and their matches are spot on.
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    LOL!!! It looks like a warm Honeydew color to me---except where the light hits it, more pea green. Anyway, I love it and I am not much of a green person. Check SW 6428, SW 6414, SW 6407, & SW 6399. Really nice pic for inspiration. Have Fun!
  • User
    11 years ago
    Lowes also can computer match colors and they have good paint.
  • cyn222
    11 years ago
    Olive as it appears to have more yellow undertones. Sage tends to have more blue undertones.
  • cyn222
    11 years ago
    This is olive sample
  • cyn222
    11 years ago
    Here is pea green, sage and honeydew
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    Key Lime Pie---mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds yummy!
  • jjandhk
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    wow what a lot of greens! thanks my friends for your great suggestions and encouragement!
  • Kim D
    11 years ago
    Whatever color you decide on make sure to do a sample patch on the wall and live with it a few days. I tried a similar color in the dining room it was awful, with the light changing during the day it took on every variation of gree that has been mentioned in the comments. I hated it and had to repaint the entire room.
  • woofwoof
    11 years ago
    Beware a green bedroom......I did my room in "silver fern" by D.E., which has a very yellow undertone, and it turns almost lime green at night. Also, I got these floral curtains(with green in them no less) that only intensify it, with strong yellow undertones and it's pretty obnoxious in the afternoon too. Already planning to change the paint, and then maybe even the curtains. We have a west facing bedroom with huge picture window. If you do green, go with super neutral window coverings (white or maybe woven wood shades) but put it on the wall first and see it at different times of day and night.
  • colorblock
    11 years ago
    Hi Bobbi, I don't think it's you monitor, I think you have a secret soup craving....
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    colorblock! That's funny! If I did, it wouldn't be for green soup!! Ok, well maybe brocolli cheese.....
  • up4travel
    11 years ago
    Try Benjamin Moore's "Louisburg Green
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Definitely try out the sample color on the walls: I painted a very non blue gray on to an off white bathroom wall and got periwinkle!
  • giltrap_s
    8 years ago
    3 years late but
    Behr: Snap Pea Green