jaxtropix

What is the northernmost ficus you've encountered?

jaxtropix

This could include fiddleleaf figs, banyans, rubber ficus and the like. Creeping fig and edible fig are excluded since they're pretty hardy.

Here in Jacksonville I grow ficus decora (rubber ficus) outdoors and it dies to the ground but still survives, and theres a nearby dunkin doughnuts that has a large bush that kept its leaves over winter.

There's a large fiddleleaf fig growing in a breezeway at The Hilltop Club in Orange Park, a large ficus at the Jacksonville Zoo, which I think is a Banyan, and even (what look to be) strangler figs climbing some trees at Ravine Gardens State Park to the sides of the stone stairs into the ravine.

Here's the fiddle leaf fig in Orange Park, which survived numerous nights with lows of 20F this winter. You can see where the branches died back up top!

I'm doing a series of posts on my website detailing how to get the banyan look outside the tropics, and any input you have would be great! I'm just trying to get more examples to show that it is possible with the right protection and planning.

• stuartdave

Plenty of big ficus around this area. There were some in Daytona beach before the 77 freeze. Above that very doubtful.On the west side probably up to just past Tampa. The ones here in Stuart can be huge .I have a cuban laurel that is 30ft high with a single trunk 2 ft in diameter.

• jaxtropix

I just went to Washington Oaks Garden in Palm coast (zone 9a) and their ficus decoras died back but still look good. They look nice with the split leaf philodendrons.

{{gwi:939539}}

• corar4gw

I have a potted fiddle leaf that had to stay out under the big oak in the front yard during winter because it was too big to take in to the garage or lanai. Like the OP tree, it lost a branch or two and after some spring pruning, came back lush and strong. I planted some of the trimmings and several healthy looking leaves and now have baby fiddle leaf ficus trees. I will pot each seperately come spring.
    cora