Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threedogsmom_gw

Photos of the gardens themselves

threedogsmom
13 years ago

On this forum I see alot of pics of actual hummingbirds and post about sightings, but I have not seen alot of photos of the actual gardens that attract the hummingbirds. Can people post overall and plant combo shots of their hummingbird garden designs that seem to work well for them ? Or if you know of any good past threads I can search for, that's good too. I would like to see how people have combined different hummingbird-loved plants as far as textures, colors, and overall design. Thanks in advance!! I don't have much color yet in my hummingbird-attracting areas, but will post pics as soon as the rain stops....

Amy

Comments (13)

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

Because it is early in the year and a lot of this years plants arent blooming yet and I dont have many good pics from last year but I do have this.

{{gwi:978496}}

here is the only thing really blooming well besides weigelas. I bought this plant this year even though small blooming quite well and I have seen a hummer go all over this thing already, it is goldflame honeysuckle

{{gwi:986368}}

• mindysuewho
    13 years ago

This coral honeysuckle is a favorite with the hummingbirds. One male this year is very territorial with it and perches in it to keep the other males away.

• birding_nut
    13 years ago

Here are some of mine from the front of the house. Notice flowers are placed to get hummers in front of our picture window for easy viewing. We get Black-chinned, Rufous, and Calliope in our yard.

BN

• soinspired
    13 years ago

BN: Your flowers are just amazing. And, you are so fortunate to have three kinds of hummingbirds. Here in central Indiana we only see the ruby-throated but they are such a treat. I'd love to see another variety of the hummer some day. Thanks for posting.

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

Yes central Indy and most of the eastern half see only ruby-throated. I would love to see a male rufous in person. What an event that would be for us in these parts.

• eigdeh
    13 years ago

Took a few quick snaps tonight.

Most of the plants you "see" below are supposed to attract hummers. Main ones which I don't think will are the Peony's and the creeping Phlox, though they do like regular phlox, so who knows.

{{gwi:231660}}

If you look closely at the photo below you will see a HUMMINGBIRD approaching the feeder from the left. I had no idea he was there when taking the photos, I only saw him when looking on the computer. He did not stick around as the photo before and after he was not there.

{{gwi:231658}}

{{gwi:231656}}

Shade garden below. Sun hardly touches these plants as it is on the south side of the house. Right below the feeder are Bleeding Hearts and Hosta's. Both good for hummers. On the window by the bell I have the Aspects Jewel box feeder.

• threedogsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for your pictures. They were very helpful! We only see ruby throated hummingbirds at my house, and I really have only seen 2 at a time. Even so, I continue to buy plants for them in hopes that more will come. It's funny that they still use the feeder even when there's alot of natural nectar plants in bloom. Anyway, thanks again - everyone has done a great job with color in their gardens, and I am happy to see that I have many of the same plants.

• kr222
    13 years ago

Amy--Thanks so much for starting this thread. They are so much fun to look at.
    BN-- I've seen some of your pictures before. That's why my garden now has some Jacob Cline monarda and Lucifer crocosmia planted in it.

Thanks to everyone for sharing pictures of their gardens. It's tough to find pictures of plant combinations that work well for people online. I hope more people contribute their pictures as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kim's Garden

• birding_nut
    13 years ago

Thanks, for the nice comments. There wasn't anything in the gardens you see when we bought our house 8 years ago but river rock, 2 rose bushes, and some other shrubs. It has been a work in progress, adding and trying things to replace those that died or didn't grow. Big difference gardening here where we get about 10-12 inches of precip a year compared to living in Western New York near Penny for most of my life. But, here I get to plant xeric stuff like agastache and penstemons I couldn't grow in NY. Plus, more species of hummers here in WA! LOL. (But, I still miss the Ruby-throats).

Here is a Calliope Hummingbird (female or first year immature)

{{gwi:986383}}

A Rufous Hummingbird (first year male)

{{gwi:986385}}

And a female Black-chinned Hummingbird visiting Penstemon barbatus.

I only have photos of females and first-year birds as the males move through so quick I never have time to catch them.

BN

• threedogsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, what amazing closeup shots of your visitors!! Here is my hummingbird area, although there are hummingbird-attracting plants spread out all over the larger bed. Not much is in bloom yet.

{{gwi:683488}}

{{gwi:683490}}

{{gwi:683480}}

{{gwi:683492}}

{{gwi:683493}}

The front walk has lots of reds/yellows that are attractive to hummers but I am never really out there, so I am focusing on the area surrounding the back patio where we sit out in the evenings. Thanks again everyone for sharing your gardens with me :)

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Here is the favorite plants now, three kinds of salvia and a firecracker plant with mandevilla vin behind:

{{gwi:986392}}

kay

• soinspired
    13 years ago

Amy! Your home and gardens are just lovely! If I were a hummer I'd want to come for a nice long visit. Do you maintain this by yourself? Or, like me, just love doing it!

• freshair2townsquare
    13 years ago

Amy - I am sooo glad you started this thread. I've been thinking the same thing for months (all hummers and no gardens) & am very excited to see others' gardens.

I love everyone's gardens. They're lovely!

Sponsored
More Discussions