saltarello

kentiana/wayetti info

saltarello

What do you guys think about this? I found this page and wondered, because I have kentiana, but am not sure what to call it cause I hear others say its truly a wayetti.

"Hoya kentiana is native to south-east of Asia, the Philippines, India and Burma.

Click for large picture

You can be lucky with finding it on the market in Denmark, where it wrongly is sold under the name Hoya angustifolia.

The growth looks much like H. wayettii (which most of us here in Denmark have bought as H. kentiana).

It has a stalk, which is darker and a little thinner than H. wayettii. The leaves are oblong, but slimmer, felt length wisely and smooth without visible veins. The single leave can be up to 11 cm long and measure about 1,5 cm across. There will often be a dark edge on the leaves dependent on the conditions of the growth.

Many beginners have mistaken it for H. shepherdii, but its leaves are lighter and some less succulent than the leave of H. shepherdii and the flowers are far different.

The flower is hardly distinguishable from H. wayettii, but it is of a lighter color, almost like bubblegum, and the flower stalks are reddish. My H. kentiana has, in spite of several flower stalks, only flowered few times. I think it is due to the fact, that it is hanging a long way into the room and because I have kept it too dry.

Care: Light placing and porous, light soil. It is a Hoya, which is easy to look after and which grows busily. It is also easy to make roots both in water and as cutting in soil."

• Denise

The description fits what I have and think is wayetti, up until the flower color, that is. My flowers are quite dark. And maybe that is the only difference between wayetti and kentiana...
    {{gwi:931780}}
    ...and from the spur side...
    {{gwi:644589}}

Denise in Omaha

• gabro14

The difference between kentiana and wayetii is pedicel color (kentiana has pink-ish pedicels and wayetii has green pedicels) and also the leaf margins are different (I think wayetii has darker ones). I've heard that wayetii flowers are bigger, but I'm not sure about that one.

The one that most of us buy from EA is actually wayetii according the the above descriptions.

Gabi

• mdahms1979

Hoya kentiana, wayetii, littoralis and many as of yet undetermined species like Hoya sp. Haraku are all very similar. The main differences are leaf size, shape and thickness and flower structure and of course their geographical distribution. Flower colour is usually not a good characteristic to use when identifying many plants because it is variable in populations and due to different cultural factors like light and nutrients.

In Dale Kloppenburg's book World Of Hoyas he mentions that Hoya wayetii has darker margins on it's leaves, the flowers are larger than kentiana's and the corona is different because it is raised from the corolla on a short column. "The bilobed outer extensions are not markedly curved upwards at the outer apex as they are in Hoya kentiana Burton."
    It also mentiones in the book that Hoya wayetii was collected in 1989 by Maximo Wayet in a higher mountain area north of Baguio in the Quirino Province in the Northern portion of Luzon island, Philippines.

Mike

• Denise

And if you'd like to create a little more confusion... I got this unmarked Hoya a couple weeks ago...
    {{gwi:990061}}

Size-wise, I would say it's leaves match my wayetti. Here's how the leaves differ: they're pale green w/no sign of dark edges; they aren't as "folded" in the center; they're matte in texture rather than shiny. There are no signs of peduncles, so I suppose there's a remote possibility that it could be a Dischidia, but I don't think so. Carol in Hawaii thought it might be D. parasitica, but I've got that and it differs from that substantially (at least the one I grow...) I'm hoping it will flower soon so I can find out what it is.

Denise in Omaha

• mdahms1979

Denise are the stems and leaves of your mystery plant hairy or do they just look matte? Hoya parvifolia is another Acanthostemma section species and it is said to be easily confused with Dischidia and it closely resembles your plant. The flowers are yellow and have a reflexed corolla. This is one of the Hoyas on my wish list but so far I have not seen or heard of anyone growing or selling it.

Mike

• Denise

It took quite a lot of searching to even find a photo of parviflora, but I finally found one on Simones-Hoyas.de. The leaves look stouter than mine. At first, I thought the leaves were a little fuzzy, but it turned out to be hard water buildup that made them look fuzzy. Of course, it's probably got some very fine fuzz since they say ALL Hoyas (under a microscope) have some pubescence. I suppose I'll have to wait and see!

Denise in Omaha

• saltarello

Thanks for clearing this up, although i dont know which one i have until it blooms i think...since it is such a little cutting. Thanks though, this is interesting...on another note, i saw a 4" hanging basket today at meijers, and if you think exotic angel is bad, its a hoya, but only says "succulent assorted" on it!!!! It didnt look like carnosa to me, but i wasnt going to pay 13.00 and have it turn out to be. =(

• Denise

An update: I found out from Dr. Livschultz (the Dischidia expert) that my mystery "Hoya" is actually a "faciated form" of Dischidia acuminata. Would never have guessed it!

Denise in Omaha

• mdahms1979

Who would have guessed is right, the leaves are so much narrower than the standard Dischidia acuminata. Not quite as exciting as a new Hoya but still a nice plant.

Mike

• mfyss

Despite the excellent review, not sure about the name. I will try a side view photo. My plant has very dark leaf margins but that would not seem much of feature for id. Yale

Here is a link that might be useful: flower