vtjh

I'm sensitive to lily smell- has anyone heard of this before?

Jeff

I don't mean to judge or critisize anyone for their love of lilies, but whenever I'm near lilies, the smell really bothers me a lot- it can even put me in a bad mood. I have to leave a room that has cut lilies in it.

Don't get me wrong- I'm not an unpleasant person, and I don't mind the look of lilies, but it's the smell I can't stand. I'm referring to things like Tiger Lilies, and the flowers you get a the florist- not daylilies.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm wondering if it's some sort of allergy. Probably people who have experienced this wouldn't be reading a lily forum much, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Jeff

• townhouserOnt

If there are no runny nose/ red eyes/ difficulties of breathing, probably it's not an allergy.

My guess: this is culture specific - things to which we were exposed since childhood and which were evaluated as good or perfectly normal.
    I belong to subtle smells/sounds one, most scents added to the common things like laundry detergents or deodorants I feel totally intolerable in level - as beating drum on your head, or being in the presence of a loud-mouthed person.

Oriental lilies were considered not suitable to be put in the room because of the smell, causing headache. I grow them because of their beauty, but my personal tolerance distance is around 3 yrds/meters, otherwise I leave the area because of stench (sorry!).

Best Answer
  • funkydemon

Ken--all those lovely lilies you have, and your wife cannot enjoy all of them up close?

Poor woman. :-)

Nell Jean

My husband once had to leave a church service in a small sanctuary where wedding bouquets from the evening before had been left overnight and the fragrance of lilies was overpowering. Some people with respiratory problems or allergies can't stay in the room with lilies because of sensitivity.

The fragrance of trumpet lilies is overpowering up close. From a distance in the garden it's pleasant. Too close, they have a spicy medicinal smell similar to Noxema skin cream. I find asiatics to be virtually fragrance free and note little to no fragrance in most LA hybrids.

• marquest

I am allergic to the lillies up close. As long as they are outside and at a distance I find it pleasant and do not have the sneezing, runny eyes, headache problem.

I love the fragrance so I plant them at the back of the property.

• Mvespa

My husband can't stand them either, says it reminds him of funerals. It is a shame since I love lilies, especially orientals and trumpets. So when they are in bloom, he doesn't really look at them and complains that our yard stinks.

• weed30 St. Louis

Most lillies are fine, but the smell of Stargazer Lillies is overpowering to me. Gives me a headache if they are anywhere but outside.

• hld6

Hi All,
    For those who like some scent, but not too much, try "Elegant Lady". It has a very light tropical fruity fragrance (almost like a very light pineapple - mango type smell) - nothing like the strong spicey scent of orientals (which I personally am very fond of). It has a beautiful easter lily trumpet shape - its a Longiflorum x (Longiflorum x Rubellum) hybrid - with a silky pale pink with blueish highlights color. I got my bulbs from Brent and Becky's this Spring. (They don't have them in their Fall catalog - probably b/c they're not hardy in very cold regions.) The bulbs were not very expensive at B&B's and could be treated as an annual by those of you in the colder zones if you don't want to lift them each year.

They only grow 2.5' - 3' tall and bloom in June (mine are just finishing up). I put mine in the front of a garden bed with taller pale pink oriental lilies ("Aruba"?) behind them. You all would probably want a different tall plant, but I love strongly scented lilies. In fact my only complaint about my Elegant Lady is that I have to get too close to them to be able to smell them! :)

-Helen

• garden_love_it

Hello,
    I find the smell of stargazer lilies HORRIBLE, i don't know how anyone can stand it. I am rather curious. But, no one else seemed disturbed by it. I thought it was undeniable..."obviously if they were smelling what I was smelling, they wouldn't like it." lol. But, therefore I was wondering if, like PTC Taste Paper, it was a genetic trait:

"PTC Tasting
    Frequency: 75% can taste PTC; 25% cannot taste PTC
    For some people (and some chimpanzees also), the chemical
    PTC tastes very bitter. For others, it is tasteless. PTC is a
    harmless compound that tastes bitter to those who have the
    most frequent trait. Those with the less frequent trait do not
    taste the bitterness."

-Univerity of Utah

I am rather curious about any other relations to reasoning. Even though there might not be any. :-)

• botanybabe

Different people don't experience smell the same way. Some people can smell particles that others cannot. Some people's brains interpret smells differently. What smells delightful to me, obviously can be experienced and stinky to someone else. Taste is the same way. Scientists have known for a long time that there is an amino acid in peas that some people can taste and some cannot. To the people who can taste it, it is awful. This experience is not unusual. Like someone said above, we are all wired differently. Me? I LOVE the smell of lilies. They do not smell medicinal at all to me. They smell a lot like cloves and cinnamon. Go figure.

Lainey

• cassandra23

I LOVE the smell of lillies, but only this morning while changing the water in the vase containing them did I find out that I may have had an allergic reaction to lillies. When my son and daughter-in-law sent them to me for Mother's Day a few days ago I was thrilled! They weren't open yet so I had no allergic reaction. This morning they were fully open and smelling great! Minutes later, after I handled them my face started blowing up like a balloon, I became sore and raw around my mouth, and my eyes started "itching." Having had skin allergies before, I knew what to do. I had benedryl and benedryl lotion hanging around so I used that stuff plus "Clear Eye." My problem is not so much my reaction to the lilles, but - how am I going to tell my son and daughter-in-law not to send any more lilles???

• drae0804

I love flowers. I love big, beautiful bouquets of flowers, and usually don't have any problems with them at all. I'm the type of person who will reach down, touch and smell almost any flower - but I have always had problems with certain lilies.

Allow me to illustrate. A lady on our floor got 5 big bouquets of Stargazers last week. Fortunately, they were about 25 feet from my desk.

Day 1: my allergies took notice, but were manageable with my regular antihistamine dosage

Day 2: it hit me a little harder, but mostly manageable

Day 3: began having respiratory problems and itchy/watery eyes, and some lovely allergy shiners. had to take twice as much antihistamine.

Days 4-5: off for the weekend

Day 6: eyes became itchy, watery, dark, and swollen within the first half hour of work. I could not see. I started having great difficulty breathing (heavy wheezing), and I am not at all asthmatic. I had to keep wiping my nose and eyes dry. I had already taken a Zyrtec-D that morning, took a Claritin-D and a Benadryl after the problems began, and also sprayed some Flonase. Over an hour later, I could finally see and breathe well enough to go home.

So here I am, seriously wondering if I should go to work at all tomorrow. I don't think my body can take another assault.

I read that flowers release their pollen (or some kind of allergen) as they die. I do know for certain that I inhaled some kind of particle having to do with the flower because it caused me to start choking on Day 3. I will be seeing an allergist for the first time in my life next month. It will be interesting to see what he has to say.

• patouche911

March 7, 2010 = STARGAZING LILLIES POLLEN STAIN
    A friend of mine came by my house, and in fact kept on pushing these Lillies bouquet further and further away from her because of their smell She saw as she was driving home that that the shirt she wore as well as her car seat is covered by some yellow stain I put two & two together and realized that it was the Pollen from these Stargazing Lillies that had stained the arms of her shirt, then her car seat.
    I sure would like to be able to know what produce can be used to REMOVE THIS STAIN, mainly on her brand new car seatsÂ
    Please let me know.

patouche911, this topic has been discussed here a number of times. I've attached a link that offers some options to try. Be aware that this is not an easy stain to remove :-)

FYI, piggybacking a different question onto an existing thread, and a rather dated one at that, is not considered proper 'netiquette', especially when the OP requested email follow-ups. And it generally does not generate the attention or responses it deserves or that are very helpful. It is always better to initiate a new thread with a new question. And it never hurts to do a search to see if the question has been addressed/answered previously.

• mori1

I love Lilies and I grow all types but the smell of some of them its just too much. Sadly, I had to learn the hard way so no lilies in house, same goes for irises which I also grow. I was at grocery store that had a grouping of Easter lilies at the entrance, I thought I was going to pass out. Garden shows can sometimes be a nightmare because of the early blooming plants that are just overwhelming.

• buyorsell888

I love the smell of all lilies but had many customers complain when I was a florist.

• gabrisb_centurytel_net

I received a bouquet with star gazer lilies and I can't stand the smell. They give me a headache and are so potent that I can smell them even if they are in another room. Why do florists use this type of flower when they smell so bad? I love Easter Lilies as they have a very sweet smell. I am not allergic to any other type of flower.

• buyorsell888

Why? because those who think Star Gazers and other Orientals stink are in the minority.

They are extremely popular. At one point I was using them in almost every wedding. I don't know how many weddings I did with Casa Blancas for the bride and Star Gazers or other similarly colored Orientals for the bridesmaids.

Over the 23 years I was a florist I sold thousands of lilies. Most customers think they are all Star Gazers but there are many with similar coloring and smell.

There was always someone who would complain about the smell in person when they were shopping but I never received a phone call complaining after delivery.

They are expensive so usually the customer had to ask for them for them to be including in a delivered bouquet otherwise less expensive flowers would be used to give more show for the money.

• ljdobson_xtra_co_nz

I work for a mail order company in NZ that sells lillies bulbs in our Winter catalogue. I LOVE lilies and don't have a problem with them in the garden. However, sometimes at work we have a display of flowering Orientals in our small office and I get the itchy eyes everyone seems to be talking about, plus headache, runny nose, 'lumpy' throat and weird numbing sensation in my lips. Even when the blooms are removed the smell lingers which still causes the reactions. My bosses and workmates don't believe me and roll their eyes at my complaints. I'm glad to read in this forum that others experience similar troubles.

• kprp

Aren't there two issues going on here?

1)dislike of the scent

2) allergy to the pollen

You can have one without the other.

I have stunted smell and taste and so strong smells and tastes--I like them! But even a roomful of oriental lilies are overpowering for me. I still fill my house with them, but I could see how they are too strong for many people.

The pollen is a different matter and unless someone keeps pulling off anthers as each flower opens, it's unlikely a bouquet of Orientals will suit someone with an allergy to them.

• Ursula123

I got a beautiful star gazer from my daughter for Mothers day recently, and by evening I was very sick. eyes and nose running, breathing became hard, cough started and went down into the bronchial tubes, my air ways swelled up and by night I was scared. Had to go to the doctor and get meds. Its better now, but the poor lily is on the deck in its container. I'll ask somebody to plant it outside. Hate to tell my daughter what her present did to me.
    What is the agent in this lily that can cause such illness?
    when I was young, never had an allergy.

• charmen

I disagree with the poster who says that the majority of people enjoy the scent of many lilies. The 12 story building where I work has banned them because there have been so many complaints of headaches and allergic reactions. Some of the local hospitals also ban them. I myself have an extreme allergy to them. I was hospitalized once because of an asthma attack brought on by stargazer lilies. Perhaps people don't call the florist to complain because they don't realize what is making them sick or they pull them out of the arrangement and throw them away.

• curdog007

I love both the aroma and appearance of stargazers; however, enough is enough. After one day I am over the aroma and out they or I go.
    Paper whites same story.
    Just gazing the catalogues and plan to purchase about 3 dozen stargazer and Casablanca bulbs. Wonder if the aroma is an addiction. I know the appearance is.

• tonydxn

I think we all experience smells differently. Every book I have ever read about lilies says Lilium pyrenaicum smells unpleasant - but I like it. It reminds me of orange peel. I stop and smell mine every time I walk past them.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4

We mostly have Orienpet lilies that carry an amazing rich perfume. Though, a friend had given me a variety of martagon that is soooo sickly smelling that my stomach has actually heaved when I've stuck my nose into the flowers. Most martagons do not smell as such, but this one is nasty, though it does carry nicely colored blooms and named in honor of a friend, so we'll allow it to stay in the garden.

• hele0197

Re: allergy to lilies. Since the lillies in my lovely bouquet have opened I have become increasingly bad tempered for no reason! No swelling or itchiness. I love the smell but am finding my breath short and chest tight and the last couple of nights have been waking with bad palpitations. The flowers are in the kitchen and our two border collies are refusing to sleep in there since the lillies opened? I have taken out the centres but they still smell very strong. Is this just me (my husband thinks I'm an alien anyway) or has anyone else had these symptoms?

• Burt Blood

I actively tracked this subject down because 4 days after mothers day i'm off work sick, i have a sore throat and swollen glands in my neck, my brother bought some lilies for my mum ( i don't know what type of liles they are but they are a deep purple colour ) for the first 2 days they were fine because they were still closed, but once they opened the scent was unbearable for me ( they were in the front window and i've been having to sleep in the living room for the time being ) My symptoms are typical of physical burn-out but my body has always reacted that way to over exposure to various things... excersize or being stuck too close to a heat source, lack of sleep. I'm sure that the lilies have played a major part in putting me out of action

• danielb4

We got an Easter lily (Lilium longiflorum) this year (2nd year in a row) and ever since - and just like following Easter last year - I've been suffering drowsiness, dry eyes, headaches and feeling drained of energy when I'm in the same room as the plant.

When I'm in our tv room, which is where the lily is (or rather, was), I've been having trouble keeping my eyes open, have been frequently yawning, and at least twice in the last 2 weeks I've been found asleep on the couch (upright).

I'm an otherwise healthy male in my 30s who exercises regularly - but yesterday, after spending the afternoon entertaining a guest in that room, I had no energy to exercise, and my eyeballs ached. I went to bed early (which I never do!), and slept reasonably well.

A few minutes ago (before I found this thread), I was watching a soccer game on tv and actively browsing the internet on my tablet, but then I momentarily fell asleep/lost consciousness! The sound of my tablet hitting the floor woke me up! Fortunately it wasn't broken.

I picked up the damned lily and moved it to a little-used room near the front of the house. Within seconds of returning to the tv room, I felt better than I have all evening - in fact better than I've felt in here since Easter!

I recall Googling, without any success, for other complaints of "lily makes me drowsy" or some variation on the wording last year, and did just now again -- and nothing comes up. Ok, some people report headaches, and "Burt Blood" in the post above me mentions "symptoms typical of physical fatigue" - but I don't think that's quite the same thing. My throat/lymph nodes are fine, and I'll be feeling great as soon as I wake up/am out of the house/not in close proximity to the lily.

Why me? I kind of expected it to be a common issue, so was surprised to find I'm possibly unique.

By the way, I find the Easter lily smell strong and unpleasant. Were there no side-effects, the smell itself would be tolerable, barely. But I'm convinced it's more than smell, I'd say it's like it significantly changes the air quality. Everyone else in the house think I'm crazy and has no idea what I'm talking about.

• angelasbarber

My daughter sent some beautiful rubrum lilies to me at work for Mothers' Day. I had them in the office for three days and they just opened - have had several comments about the smell and now a coworker suggested I throw them away because they "smell so bad". I must admit I am not sensitive to the smell and am somewhat offended, particularly since they were from my daughter and I had the same flowers in my wedding bouquet 35 years ago. I will probably take them home very soon.

• rodcon63

I was making a presentation in front of a podium filled with llily flowers. I almost collapsed when I was going through a couple of slides. Dizzy and breathless. So I hold the podium tight not to fall down and was just reading the scrip paper for about 5 minites. I tried to stay away from the podium and got back to life but already damages done.

In normal life, I was not that fond of lily fragrance because the smell is too strong to withstand. Headaches, dizziness and breathless.

So next time.. I will make sure no lilies near me when I am making a presentation.

And you may also be cautious. Be careful you never know if you are alergic to lilis.

• stevebray16

I dont have lilies in my home although i think they are beautiful their scent makes me feel really ill. I have just been in a friends home and although she put the lilies outside within 10 minutes i just wanted to get out of there, i went light headed and had to leave although i was out of the house and away from the flowers i started sneezing and although i could breathe it was a bit laboured, i think its because although the flowers werer put outside the room was still full of their scent, now, an hour later i still dont feel quite right

• lellis0001

I have brought cut flowers home from a funeral because the person we lost would have done so not to waste the flowers but the odor is starting to make me feel bad and I can smell that order all the way across the room.

• tomauroland

I always remove the anther (pollen laden) from the stamen which gets rid of most of the allergens and the smell. It greatly reduces my allergic reaction.

• buyorsell888

Every florist should remove the anthers from all open and half open lilies, including potted plants because they stain fabrics horribly.

• Cherry

Just like the writer above, danielb4, I too had a horrible experience just from being exposed to the scent of lillies. They were given to me by a friend and I had placed them in the living room. For three days thereafter, whenever I sat on the sofa, I fell into a deep sleep, awaking occasionally but soon falling back to sleep. On the third day, I struggled awake, feeling as though I'd been drugged. My head was groggy and my body was stiff and aching and my thoughts were slow as though I had drunk too much. The scent from those lillies was absolutely overpowering. I realised I had to get rid of them quickly and managed to get them outside into the dustbin. Gradually I began to improve and no longer fell asleep for no apparant reason. I've never heard of anyone being drugged by the scent of lillies before, nor could I find anything on the Internet about it. Perhaps I had a particularly bad reaction to them or a severe allergic reaction. It was quite a scary experience.

• danielb4

Thanks Cherry for adding your experience, so similar to mine.

I liked your description, "feeling as though I'd been drugged". Not that I've ever been sedated by drugs outside of a hospital, but yes, when I was inexplicably drowsy, I remember thinking, "What's going on? Why am I like this?".

It was only when I considered what had changed in my environment that I began to suspect the lily, and only when it happened 2 years in a row following Easter that I concluded that the lily was indeed the cause.

I've never experienced anything like it. Sure, ragweed pollen makes my
    nose run or congest, and throat and eyes get itchy - but that's a common
    problem, and ragweed's about it when it comes to me and allergies.

As you said, other than in this thread, experiences such as ours do not appear to be documented or referenced online. The only thing that really comes up frequently is that the plant is toxic, especially to cats. (And I will add that I did not touch let alone eat the plant prior to feeling the symptoms I described!) I wonder if other people are similarly affected but just haven't made the connection to the lily in the room being the cause.

In any case, thanks to your post, it's good to know I'm not alone.

• Lucy Johnson

I have the same thing , when ever I am around lilies I feel like throwing up and I do sometimes

• Judy Rosenboom

I just received flowers and it contains the white trumpet I believe to enjoy them I put them where I sit to watch TV and I have had a hard time staying awake all afternoon

• tonyday15

I have multiple chemical sensitivity, (MCS)..

the smell of hyacinths, Lilly's, anything from a florist. It removes the oxygen from my body, by inhaling. My mood goes completely suicidal. My body has no strength even to walk.....DANGER.

i find that most florist* plants, are raised on chemicals, and therefore their smell *(I won't call it a fragrance)..... Contains dangerous chemicals. Naturally grown roses have the opposite effect and make me feel happy.

my own small garden is grown without any chemicals....nature has no use for them. And nor does my body.

so your body is rejecting something it hates.... Nature is simple.

• Tressa Stevens

Immediate asthma attack from star gazer lilies, hyacinths, pine.

• Teresa

Yes Jeff I too have a very sensitivity to Lilies found out the hard way I was allergic to Lilies as was my grandmother. Bought one in memory of her when I got horribly sick, went to doctor he found out through testing I also em allergic to ALL lilies, so if a church has many of them I cannot attend services. Also I can't be around strong flowery smells like room freshness etc. So check things out before using a high flower smell.

• Paul MI

This thread has been both interesting and, at times, amusing with regards to some of the erroneous suppositions.

Yes, stargazers are popular both because they are pretty and the majority of people enjoy their fragrance. (The one poster who insisted that can't be the case because there "were so many complaints" in their building was making the assumption that all those complaints must have been coming from different people. While that could indeed have been the case, it was equally -- if not more -- likely they were just multiple complaints from the same subset of people.)

However, yes, how we individually interpret scents can vary widely.

Personally, I enjoy the fragrance of stargazers when they are outside. Inside, I can only handle one or two in the average size room. Yet a friend of my sister's can't stand the fragrance at all and likens it to being by an outhouse. (She was quite bewildered by the fact that neither my sis nor I felt the same way.) Fragrant roses are often an even bigger issue for me and can -- particularly if very pungent -- give me a headache. My mom has the same issue. I once had an orchid whose fragrance elicited a wide array of reactions. To my sis and myself, it was reminiscent of melon. To one coworker, it was like rotting fish. To another coworker, it was undefinable but not unpleasant. Then, too, there are plants whose fragrance, I find, changes over time. In particular, there are Hoya whose fragrance in the evening is markedly different, to me, than it is in the morning.

Sensitivity to fragrances in general varies considerably, as well. For example, I really dislike being near people who use perfume or cologne as most seem to have no idea how to apply it short of "bathing" in it. It literally will give me a headache. I live in an apt with an open air stairwell. On more than one occasion, I have exited my apartment 5min or so after one of the other residents had departed, and I could still smell their perfume/cologne lingering in that area -- overwhelmingly so. There is no doubt in my mind that, to them, the scent wasn't overpowering in the least. I also have trouble, at times, with places like Yankee Candle stores or Bath and Body Works stores because the fragrances are just too strong.

Btw, it isn't the lily pollen to which you are allergic. Pollen allergies only apply to airborne pollen which is not the case for lilies. Exactly which fragrant oils are the culprits, I don't know, but it is possible that even that may differ for different folks.

And as for the poster who declared that florists should remove all the anthers from the lilies used .... rrriiiight.

• The Constant Gardener (Zone 5, Ontario)

How do they smell like though? I haven't smelled one in ages and I don't remember. I ask because I am deciding on whether or not to get the "extremely fragrant" lilies like Lilium regale or the less fragrant ones.

• Sandra
    yes. I am very sensitive to them. They are usually in flowers arrangements. It gets worse as they have been there longer and you can see the dusty pollen falling off. My eyes itch and burn. Its awful. Its a really bummer because they are so pretty and smell lovely.

The scent is very cloying and overwhelming to me so no fragrant lilies in the house :-) It's an immediate headache. In the garden where the scent is much more diffuse, I have no problem.

(I also have to avoid stores like Yankee Candle and Bath and Body Works - they reek!! But I get compliments on my perfume all the time, even though I cannot smell it at all and always wonder if I am applying too much. It is really only a cologne and I only spritz it once or twice.)

btw, it is not the lily pollen that carries the scent. It is the essential oils in the flower petals themselves. Removal of the stamens is done to prevent pollen drop, not to curb the scent. Lily pollen stains like you would not believe!! And yes, florists and cut flower sellers do remove any visible stamens from open lily blossoms for just that reason.

• Con McGrath
    last year

Respect to all sufferers, I'd like to add the following; I am not particularily sensitive to smells (I live in the country) I and have literally been 'knee deep in shite' on more than one occasion, most unpleasent assuredly, but it doesn't give me headaches....

I have travelled round the world (literally) and worked in various manufacturing environments without any problems; however, I DO have a problem with the scent of Lillies AND with certain manufactured scents. The latest is a certain fabric conditioner (not all fab cond's, just this one).

I'm not saying anything new (so far), but bear with me and I might even make sense.

I cannot abide the smell of boiled eggs! I will cook them for someone but I will not eat in the same room. I don't hate eggs, I love omlettes, no problem at all.

Also, weirdest of all, I love bread (my infrequent guilty pleasure is big hunks of thick white bread, fresh from the bakers, with real butter on the first crusty slice before making a 'substantial sandwich'.....homer simpson moment). BUT, if the bread is still hot, I have to wait for it to cool/loose the gasses? or I will get a nasty headache.

I have never understood why that might be, I just know it to be true.

I have no identified allergies, I am generally 'normal' and robust of health, I love chillies, peppers and things spicy, I don't have asthma (I don't hate flowers!) but certain scents or combined chemicals will bring on a headache and make me feel aggressive (towards the source).

Here's the 'eye-opener'....... I have 1 Niece and 6 Nephews, three of them love peppers/chillies etc and CANNOT STAND the smell of boiled eggs (they didn't get that from me, it was just natural to them). One doesn't care and will eat whatever is available, the other three HATE peppers as much as I HATE BOILED EGGS, and you guessed it, love boiled eggs. So, is there some genetic or biological predisposition or what?

I thought I was 'weird' all my life until I found that I was not alone, the first 'relevent site' I found suggested that I may be pregnant, I am a male, 54 years old, unlikely.

How to finish this? That's a problem, because at any one time somebody can spray some unknown chemical into an atmosphere where I must be and hence, must breathe. Ban all aerosols and perfumes? I don't think so, wear a gas mask to work? Impractical at best. Here's a mad, 'out of the box' thought;

To the various manufacturers, houses and others who abuse nature for profit;

firstly, stop using chemicals to imitate natural scents,

secondly; fund a programme to identify the harmful chemicals that affect so many of the population (before we get wise and sue),

thirdly, remove from products anything that is suspect or known carcinogenic (actually that should be first).

Fourth, with a capitol 'F', ..Findings, remember Nuremburgh? Take charge and take control before an irate public takes you down.

We can dodge the lillies, we have a choice, but there better not be harmful chemicals in general distribution or the consequences will be brought home to the fullest extent of natural law.

C

• tomauroland
    last year

I couldn't agree with your more about all the scents...sad when you can't even take a walk through your neighbourhood without inhaling the smells emanating from people's dryer vents. Likely the same fabric softener you find objectionable. I react just going down the aisle in the grocery store where the fabric softeners and laundry products are.

• Chauna Ellis
    last year

I have a very severe allergy to lilies. I experience anaphylactic symptoms when any where in the vicinity of the smell. It has only gotten worse over the years and it is very scary. I was told by an allergist that there were not any tests for this allergy though, that was several years ago. I wish people were more understanding like with a peanut allergy, it’s essentially the same. Fortunately my church has accepted this and doesn’t have lilies any longer. I have been made very ill several times for long periods after exposure.

• Emily Cobb

I have recently discovered I have a severe reaction to lilies. I had anaphylactic symptoms after purchasing a few oriental lily plants to add to my garden and was hospitalized. I am now terrified to go anywhere that carries lilies. Wondering how people on here with a severe allergy cope with this? are you able to go inside of Kroger with the lilies? I would love to hear from someone with this experience. Very devastating change of life since this has happened.

• harold100

Emily, there are many nice Asiatic lilies like this on the market so you may enjoy gardening with no scents. Happy Holidays!

• Judy Sharp

I’m so glad I found this post I thought I was mad. My friends tolerate me and my craziness. I missed a fabulous meal in a very fancy Chinese restaurant as I had to leave because of the lilies. My ex was furious. I get migraines when I’m near lilies. Lilac and hyacinth have the same affect. I would love a lilac hedge in my garden but can’t risk it.

Yankie Candles are disgusting I just don’t get them, air fresheners and fabric softener too! But I do wear perfume but have to be very careful. I react to cleaning chemicals too. So now use Koh which is brilliant and Eco cleaning products

Northern Virginia Leading Shower Glass and Mirror Designer