melanieweitzenfeld

Freeze damage to leaves of Yuri Hime?

melanieweitzenfeld

I live in the Denver area and have a potted Yuri Hime. I had it in the garage all winter and when I went to check on it about a week ago, I noticed it had started to leaf out. We had been having unseasonably warm weather, and I put it out on our back deck (south facing). I left it outside two nights ago (oops!!) and woke up to freezing temperatures and snow. I brought the tree inside the house where it has been since. The little leaves are brown and limp. I think there are some smaller leaves that may be emerging, but I am wondering what kind of damage has been done. Will the tree continue to leaf out/leaf out again, or did I ruin or kill it? Also, should I return the tree to the garage or keep it in the house? If I do return it to the garage, how long do I leave it there before bringing it outside? I am (obviously) new to dwarf Japanese maples and need all the help I can get. Thank you in advance for any advice/help/etc.!!

Melanie

tapla

Like a battery, the amount of energy the tree has stored is finite, and not unlimited. How much energy is stored depends in large part on how robustly the tree was growing last (late) summer and fall when it entered dormancy. Leaves are net users of energy until they are about 75% mature. If your tree has enough energy in reserve to push another flush of foliage so that some part of it is around 75% mature, the tree won't expire because of energy demands. If it doesn't have that much energy in reserve, it could easily collapse (as an organism).

The best thing you can do now is move your tree outdoors when there is no danger of frost, and move it back in (to a cool, bright location) when frost threatens.

Al

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z6)

I know this is an old thread but I am curious if your YH did recover from the "freeze damage"?