FIND PROFESSIONALS
claireplymouth

Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2014 #2

This thread is intended to give people a place to post photos and/or talk about birds, critters, wildlife, fish, whatever - topics you might not want to start a whole thread on, but are still garden-related. You can see the range of possible topics in the previous threads:

All of the threads in the "Birds and other mobile features in the garden" series prior to 2013 are now stored in the New England Garden Forum Gallery. See the top of the main page to switch between Discussions and Gallery. For 2012, see the links posted in Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2012 #7. These threads have been moved to the Gallery but there may be problems with some of the links. I've corrected those I can edit and I made an Index for threads from 2008 to 2011.

2014 threads to date:
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2014 #1

And for 2013 (I'll move these to the Gallery at some point, but not just yet):
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2013 #1
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2013 #2
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2013 #3
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2013 #4
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2013 #5
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2013 #6
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2013 #7
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2013 #8
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2013 #9
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2013 #10
......................................................................................................................................................
For a lead-off photo I'll post a picture of a streaky brown sparrow, one of the small brown birds that can drive you crazy to identify.

I'm pretty sure this is a Savannah Sparrow, a bird that normally hangs around dunes and beach grass on the Massachusetts coast in the winter. When it snows and their feeding grounds are covered, they seem to fly up the coastal bank look for feeders. I see them most winters and always struggle to distinguish them from Song Sparrows.

And in the last thread I posted pics of foxes and coyotes eating food I'd put out for the birds and squirrels.

Here are two different canids, a neighbor's dogs who stopped by as I was putting the food out. Even though I gave them the liver treats I save for such occasions, they insisted on checking out the stuff on the ground as well. I think they may have eaten the peanuts.

It started snowing soon after I took these pictures and it hasn't stopped yet.

Claire