Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donrawson

Tetraploid Hostas

donrawson
16 years ago

Here's my list of Tetraploid Hostas. Let me know of any additions or corrections. Thank you. Don

Tetraploid Hostas (diploid counterpart in parantheses)

American Sweetheart (Sea Thunder)

Americana (possibly an octaploid)

Blue Mouse Ears (Blue Cadet)

Braveheart (Invincible)

Essence of Summer (Warwick Essence)

Fantasy Island (Island Charm)

Fire and Ice (reverse tet of Francee)

Fireworks (Loyalist, possibly an octaploid)

First Mate (Kabitan)

Five OÂclock Somewhere (Five OÂclock Shadow)

Flash of Light (Francee)

Grand Tiara (Golden Tiara)

High Society (June)

Independence (Francee)

Ivory Coast (Sagae)

Lakeside Beach Captain (Lakeside Shore Master)

Liberty (Sagae)

Loyalist (reverse tet of Francee)

Minuteman (Francee)

Night Before Christmas (White Christmas)

Paradise Glory (PaulÂs Glory)

Pathfinder (reverse tet of Francee)

Patriot (Francee)

Patriotic (Francee)

Paul Revere (reverse tet of Francee)

Remember Me (June)

Revolution (Francee)

St. Paul (PaulÂs Glory)

Touch of Class (June)

Twilight (Fortunei Aureomarginata)

ventricosa

Comments (8)

• woodthrush
    16 years ago

Great, thanks Don. Do you have all your lists posted in one spot anywhere? Do you have a list of piecrust edged hosta?
    Pam

• hostabff
    16 years ago

Don,
    Can you provide description of what tetraploid means and the value? Any impact on hybridizing?

• bobinfrance
    16 years ago

could I add the following
    Amber Tiara (Grand Tiara)
    Anne (Fortunei Aureomarginata)
    Atlantis (Abba Dabba Doo)
    Captin Kirk (Gold Standard)
    Christmas Candy (Night Before Christmas)
    Christmas Cookies (NBC)
    Cliffords Stingray (Loyalist)
    Dust Devil (Whirlwind)
    Enterprise (Captin Kirk)
    Eternal Flame (Whirlwind)
    Flame Stich (?)
    Grand Prise 5?)
    Grand Marquee (?)
    Heat Wave (Bright Lights)
    Heavenly Tiara (Grand Tiara)
    Hi Ho Silver (Ginko Craig)
    Holy Mole (Gaucamole)
    Karin (Anne)
    Lakeside Black Satin (ventricosa)
    Let Me Entertain You (?)
    Majesty (?)
    Magic Fire (Sagae)
    Middle Ridge (undulata Univittata)
    Midnight Ride (Patriot)
    Morning Light (Twilight)
    Olympic Glacier (Pathfinder)
    Paradise Breeze (?)
    Paradise Gold Line (?)
    Paradise on Fire (Fire and Ice)
    Partiots Fire (?)
    Paul Rever (?)
    Royal Super (?)
    ruprifraga Tetra
    Schwarzer Ritter (?)
    Second Wind (Whirlwind)
    Silver Load (?)
    Snowy Lake (Veronica Lake)
    Spinich Souffle (Garden Treasure)
    Velvet Moon (Abiqua Moonbeam)
    ventricosa Aureomarginata
    ventricosa Aureomaculata
    Whirlygig (Fortunei)
    Whirlwind Fortunei Hyacinthina)
    Whirlwind Tour (Whirlwind)
    Xanadu (Fantasy Island)

May be someone could fill in some of the ?marks

Bob

• woodthrush
    16 years ago

Tetraploids have more chromosomes to cause thicker leaves and wider margins.

• Lykaon - Ohio Zone 6a
    16 years ago

I have six. Of those six, three are from Francee. Patriot, Minutemand, Fire & Ice. Yet I don't have Francee.

Blue Mouse Ears, American Sweetheart, and Grand Tiara are my others.

• sugarman
    16 years ago

There's at least one not on those lists.

Essence of Summer (Warwick Essence), a stunning fragrant hosta with flowers that almost match plantaginea flowers for size

• donrawson
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bobinfrance- Thank you for the list of possible additions. I'll research those on your list in an attempt to verify these are tetraploids. Do you have a source I may refer to?

sugarman- 'Essence of Summer' is already on the list posted :)

Here are links to two Internet articles about tetraploid hostas:

"Tetraploid Hostas" article by Bridgewood Gardens

A definition of "tetraploid" by Westside Hostas FAQ's including a link to a scientific study of tetraploidism

One web site which posts a Glosaary of Hosta Terms defines "tetraploid" as follows: "Tetraploidy is the trait of having twice as many chromosomes as what is "normal." Normally, the pollen provides one set of chromosomes from the male plant (pollen parent), the ovary provides a set of chromosomes from the female plant (pod parent), so the seed has a complete set of chromosome pairs (and so is called diploid). Either by natural or biochemical manipulation of the cells in the plant, it is possible to have plants with two (identical) sets of chromosomes in each cell. In hostas, there is a species that is naturally tetraploid: H. ventricosa that has the rare capability to produce seed by apomixis, or asexual means without benefit of pollen. By treatment of tissue cultures, hostas can be "converted" to tetraploidy, but this hasn't been done in hostas as much as it has in daylilies. Tetraploid plants generally have more vigor, substance, larger blooms, etc. A drawback of tetraploid plants is that the pollen is significantly larger (to hold the extra chromosomes) and so is difficult to use in breeding new hostas. Triploid hostas result from crossing diploid with tetraploid plants, and are effectively sterile."

Tetraploidism in hostas has been achieved by the application of certain herbicides. Some people are using Surflan and Treflan to do conversions. This is much safer for people than colchicines, but not as safe for the plants. I'm not sure of the concentrations or the best methods of applying it. Some of these were perhaps accidental conversions, but others appear to be applying these herbicides intentionally to encourage tetrapoidism in hostas.

Are there any articles that someone could post that would provide good reading? Are there articles from previous Hosta Journals or other hosta and gardening books?

Don

PS I'll plan to post all of my hosta lists on the Hosta FAQ's Page in the next few days :)

• bobinfrance
    16 years ago

Don, the list was given to me by Tim Saville, the holder of the British National collection of tetraploid Hostas so it should be pretty acurate.
    My main aim this year was to add more Tets. to my general collection of Hostas and now have about 25 to date.
    Bob