Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
themovingmama

Need help for my foyer/entry!!! Rounded staircase is making it tough.

themovingmama
11 years ago
I love my art work here. I am open to moving it, but would like to leave it if I can. The table can definitely go. Our home is an craftsmen style brick home. I am trying to figure out what to do with the space. I had the foyer painted a few years ago with the main interior a Sherwin Williams blonde color. The interior needs repainted this fall or spring, so I am completely open to ideas! Thanks all!

Foyer is from front door to back of curved wall 14'8". Width from inside of staircase to wall is 9 ft. And cut out is 1 ft x 5'6".

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Stanton Designs-online design services
    11 years ago
    I have to say I love your table and artwork in that niche...however.... I would suggest painting just that niche a darker color to make that space pop even more.... make these great features stand out. Add a couple accessories on that table and you are all set.

When you first walk in you do see that empty space by the curved wall. I would love to see a little seating area... a upholstered chair with a very eye catching, dramatic pattern. Add a floor lamp and 2 small pieces of art to hand on the wall there.

When looking towards your door....I feel a nice big rug when you walk in the door will send of a warm welcome when you enter your home. I would suggest 2 side tables on both sides of the door with a lamp on each and maybe a piece of art behind each table.
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Of course, in that rounded spot I see a slim and tall Christmas tree. (Hit a Christmas sale today!). Rest of the year, a round table with a great tall arrangement of grasses.

The alcove shown needs a narrow and taller chest. Right now the painting is floating away.

Yes, to the rug for the door area. And I would have a couple of great craftsman style pedestrals (one on each side), topped with plants or sculptures.
  • themovingmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for all of the ideas so far. I do have a beautiful, slim Christmas tree I put up every year Thanksgiving to New Years. I'm not sure what size to do on the rug, I keep thinking 5x7. I did have a round table in the curved area, but it and the table in the alcove really clashed, and the table felt too large that was rounded. I just can't seem to pull together colors and patterns. Thanks for the great tips, I am hoping for more ideas to continue inspiring me to finish this area. We have lived in the house for 4 years.
  • rm32799
    11 years ago
    I know you were asking for advice, im sorry I have none! But i Love your foyer!!! :)
    I am in early stages of plans for building and awesome to find a picture that is similar to what right now is just in my head?! (if that makes sense?!) how wide is your staircase? And what room is to the left of the foyer? If you don't mind sharing?! Thanks!!
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Perhaps you had too many different legs going on, the reason the two furniture pieces clashed. I would take a few photos with me when I went shopping for this area. If you get the narrow chest that goes to floor, then the round table can have legs. Or, vice versa.

Or top the round table to the floor with a great table cloth. (check out Ballard Designs).

5 by 7 sounds right to me for the rug. Tape off the area with some painter's tape to be sure.
  • themovingmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @m32799...I will have to measure the width of the staircase, but if I were to guess, I would say it starts at about 4 ft wide and tapers to about 3 1/2 ft. The room straight ahead is a formal living room, the room the the right is our dining room, and just past the stair case, before the living room is a powder room to the left and closet to the right. Good luck with your building plans.
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    Leave your artwork there, it's in the perfect spot. Have you considered a floating unit in the same spot as the desk. A floating unit built to fit in the spot might just do the trick, perhaps painting the recessed part of the wall would be nice. I love you floor and the inlay is a nice/pricey touch, I dont know that i would put anything in that spot. Your staircase is beautiful and I wouldn't want to hide it.
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    What about a tall chair...wingback style perhaps....and a small round table and lamp on it against the curve along the staircase? And as someone mentioned above, if the table seems too weird, throw a table cloth on it!
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    I should also say that the taller piece of the grouping should be on the left side when entering. Another idea is putting either a tall plant on the left, the chair and then the table with lamp. If not a plant, what about a grandfather clock or piece of tall sculpture as your taller piece on the left of the curve of the staircase. The pic I'm including is NOT the style I'm talking about, but just to give you a visual of the idea. OR either hang a long clock on the wall instead of flat artwork?
    [houzz=
    Tomar Lampert Associates - Traditional Portfolio · More Info
    ]
  • themovingmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @candace66...do you mean a built in unit that would look permanent, but could be moved. I was thinking along the lines of pcmom'1s idea of a taller unit like a buffet, but not as deep b/c the alcove is only 12" deep. I wonder if I had some built in there, and then a winged back chair and small table with a lamp would look good? The built-in/floating unit would be more substantial and not be leggy like what is there now.

Hmmm???
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    Here's the link to the floating unit I had in mind for your alcove. This would be a custom made unit so making it just the 12" deep is no problem. I don't think you need anything else there. Your foyer is beautiful and so is the floor. Sometimes.....a lot of the time, less is more, you don't need to fill the space just because you have it, after all it's a foyer. The floating unit Is fastened on the sides and the back. I think it would be perfect for your spot.

Enjoy the link, I had the privilege of being invited into this home this past summer, it's just amazing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lindal-cedar-homes/6772667791/sizes/m/in/set-72157629059105783/
  • sheilaskb
    8 years ago

I love the idea of the Christmas tree fitting into the crescent formed by the staircase wall. However, at other times of the year you might place a curved-back chair or loveseat in this spot. Another idea would be a crescent-shaped corner or sofa table on which you could place a large, colorful floral arrangement. The staircase is a beautiful architectural feature, and seasonal changes can make it functional year-round.