Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_970892

details: annual billerica spring plant swap, all are welcome

littleonefb
14 years ago

Hello All,

This is the new post to firm up all the details for the Swap.

Everyone is welcome, with or without any plants, seedlings, divisions to bring.

Don't be shy because you are new to gardening. I promise there will be plenty of seedlings and divisions just for the taking.

I will have plenty of wintersown seedlings and some divisions that will be just for the taking and I'm sure that others will as well.

All of these plants, divisions and seedlings need a home, so please come and enjoy the experience and take home new "babies" for your gardens.

This is a very informal swap. Those that want to post what they may or are bringing are more than welcome to.

And, don't be afraid to list your wants as well or say that you would like particular plants, seedlings that are being brought.

Those that want to ask if there is interest in any plants before they dig them up and divide them are more that welcome to do so. Better to ask if anyone is interested in them or wants them before spending the time digging them up. potting them and bringing them to the swap and then having to bring them home again.

Oh, yes, if you have any gardening books, magazines, pots you don't want, left over seeds, garden supplies of any kind that you want to bring to give away, don't be afraid to bring them. I'm sure someone will want them.

Please remember to bring something to take your plants and seedlings home in; boxes, box covers trays. I don't have any that I can give away at the swap. I use all of mine.

DATE: Saturday June 6, 2009

TIME: 10AM until everyone wants to leave

RAIN DATE: Sunday June 7, 2009

RAIN DATE TIME: 10AM until everyone wants to leave

LOCATION: Billerica MA. I will e-mail address and directions the week of the swap to all who are planning to attend.

The only thing I can't promise is good weather. I hope we will not have to worry about rain, but, as I said above, I do have a carport we can be under if we have to deal with a bit of mist or a chance of showers.

So let's keep our fingers crossed that we don't have to deal will heavy rain and need the rain date.

Besides seedlings and some divisions and small plants I have the following to use.

1. Huge table to put various non plant items on

2. several coolers to keep ice and cold drinks in

3. at least 6-8 chairs, but anyone that wants to bring some folding chairs is welcome to do so.

4. name tags, I should have enough, but will holler out if I find we need more

5. a huge table cover for the table I have

6. a carport to sit under and keep the sun off of us

7. a huge yard and plenty of space to move and put out the plants and seedlings.

8. plenty of parking for everyone.

Which now brings me to the volunteer part of the swap. Especially for those that feel "strange" coming because they don't have anything to bring.

So that we can really have a good time and enjoy the swap, anyone that can bring the following items, it will be much...

Comments (80)

• sarada
    14 years ago

Hi Fran,

I will be there for the swap and will get cups. I have your directions from last year. I will email them for confirming.

Thanks,
    Sarada

• laurav22
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Blake, I will bring the allium for you! This will be so exciting!

Laura

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Have emailed all that have asked for directions. If you are planning to attend and have not e-mailed me, please do so, so that you will be able to attend.

PLEASE ALSO INCLUDE YOUR GW NAME AS MY E-MAIL DOESN'T SHOW YOU GW NAME WHEN I RECEIVE IT.

PLEASE EVERYONE, REMEMBER TO BRING SOMETHING TO TAKE YOUR PLANTS AND SEEDLINGS HOME IN. I DO NOT HAVE ANY BOXES OR TRAYS TO GIVE YOU.

KATTLAMA
    Will have tomatoes available and will list the ones I have below

JD
    holding a roma tomato for you and sweet basil, lemon basil, lime basil and cinnamon basil

BLAKE
    I have 2 hardy hibiscus for you. I just dug them out as they are not doing well in the bed they where in and have no place for them. They where grown from seed and supposed to be dinner plate size flower but don't know the colors, they never bloomed for me, as they became meals and snacks for the resident chipmunks. I will hold them for you.

Also holding the following for you

A small single hosta plant self sown
    lime basil
    sweet basil
    lemon basil
    cinnamon basil
    daylily

JD
    holding roma tomato
    sweet basil
    lime basil
    lemon basil
    cinnamon basil

Hope I didn't miss anyone.

SARADA, one of my neighbors coming to the swap would love to have several of your lilac suckers if you bring them

LAURA
    same neighbor would like some allium and the variegated sedum.

sounds like those allium and sedum will be popular.

OK, now here's the list I what I will have for the swap.

Seedlings are still quite small but they will spring to life and grow in leaps and bounds, once planted and we get some warm weather.

HERBS
    sweet basil
    lime basil
    lemon basil
    cinnamon basil
    parsley

PERENNIALS
    1 clump of common orange daylily
    5 clumps, several fans of unknown but hybrid daylily
    click on thumbnail pic to enlarge

foxglove hardy, not sure of the color, either pink, lavender or fushia. these where sown from seed and planted a year ago. They may or may not bloom this year, but they will bloom next year for sure. Leaves stay green all winter

SEEDLINGS, these are fairly small right now, but they will grow very quickly once planted and weather finally warms up

plenty of the following

mixed petunias
    yellow monkey flower
    balsam impatiens dark pink
    easter egg plant
    hibiscus, hardy cream with red eye
    hibiscus militaris. white/pink
    chinese forget me nots
    moonflower vine, huge white morning glory appearing flowers, and huge leaves that blooms evening on, with wonderful scent.

TOMATOES

4 warren's yellow cherry
    7 white wonder
    3 large cherry red
    1 sweet 100
    1 super beefsteak
    5 roma
    5 cherokee purple
    5 celebrity
    7 black cherry
    3 Xmas grape. why it is called this I don't know. the tomato is a small round red cherry tomato that is somewhat flat on the top and bottom.

I also have a 100 foot garden hose for the taking ...

• sarada
    14 years ago

Hi Fran,

Yes, I will dig up lilac suckers and get them. I will be interested to take the following from your list
    1. Sweet Basil
    2. Parsley
    3. Mixed petunias
    4. any tomato seedling available

Thanks,
    Sarada

• Started_with_bean
    14 years ago

I'm so glad to see that someone else will have balsam impatiens available! Mine have either been eater by rabbits or just not flourishing at all :-(

I would LOVE to get a black cherry tomato! Nobody at home is as much a seed growing fanatic as me, so it'll be great to be with like minds!!

• jaydeeinma
    14 years ago

Hi Fran;

Can I throw my hat in for the moonflower vine and one of the hibiscus also?

I have a few gardening books I will be bringing too:

2 water garden books
    the heirloom gardener
    and 3 pamphlets; pruning, growing your own vegetables and 150 foliage plants.

JD.

• laurav22
    14 years ago

Dear Fran,

I will bring 3 seedum (you and the other two you had mentioned) and 3 allium (Blake and you and neighbor) and the heuchera for you in addition to the other items I listed.

Fran, Andrew and I would be very interested if you could reserve these items:

moonflower
    hibiscus, hardy cream
    yellow monkey flower
    easter egg plant
    hybrid day lily

sweet basil
    parsley
    yellow cherry tomato
    black cherry tomato
    cherokee purple tomato
    celebrity tomato

Garden Hose!!!

We are really looking forward to meeting everyone! Thank you!

Laura

• extragalactic
    14 years ago

I hope to attend this Saturday. Don't have a lot to offer this year, but will be bringing a few things.

BRINGING:

SEEKING:

I'm looking for a couple of plants to replace those that I liked but that kicked-the-bucket over the winter:

Also, I'm looking for:

• Asiatic and/or Oriental lilies (to replace the 'Black Bird'/'Cote d'Azur') hole in the garden), particularly one or more tall varieties of Oriental lily for the back of the bed

• Echinops ritro (Blue Globe Thistle)

• Diphylleia cymosa (American Umbrella Leaf)

• Dianthus (anything)

• Up to four clematis -- 2 each types 2 and 3

• Hosta 'Touch of Class'

Would I be so lucky that somebody might be bringing any of the above?

@ Blake: I'll take 1-3 of those Egyptian onions if they aren't all spoken for already

I've already offered to Fran to bring some hot/cold cups and some diet+non-diet soda -- and to bring a six-year-old gardener's assistant who guzzles lemonade. See you Saturday morning!

-Mike

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

For anyone that is wondering how much to make, how much to bring for the "goodies" and drinks, it looks like we will have about 25-30 people at the swap.

Not everyone has posted on the thread but have e-mailed me about coming, directions and things to bring.

NOW, EVERYONE, PLEASE KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED FOR GOOD WEATHER. THEY KEEP CHANGING THE WEATHER FORECAST EVERY TIME I HEAR IT.

STARTED WITH BEAN, you will be in good company here with seed lovers and growing from seed. Just wait and you will get introduced to wintersowing.

put aside your black cherry tom for you.

LAURA, put everything aside for you, including the hose

Sarada and JD, did the same for you

MIKE, welcome and thanks for posting on the thread as well as e-mailing me.

There will be dianthus for you. A friend who helps with the swap and seedlings is digging up some dianthus siberian blues and they will no doubt bloom for you this year.

If anyone is interested there are also some iris sibrica that can be dug up if anyone wants some. They are in full bloom now and beautiful, but keep spreading into one of my flower beds and out into the lawn. I have a trowel for anyone to use if they want some. I would dig them up, but my bad back really is preventing me from doing it.

Anyone that hasn't e-mailed me for directions, please do so and if you have any questions just e-mail me as well.

KEEP THOSE FINGERS CROSSED FOR GOOD WEATHER AND HOPEFULLY WE WON'T HAVE TO USE THE RAIN DATE.

Fran

• blaketaylore
    14 years ago

Hello All,

Fran, if there are any unspoken for, could you please put a moonflower vine aside for me and a parsely.

Mike, I will bring you three Eyptian plants.

Blake

• laurav22
    14 years ago

Fran,

Thank you, thank you!

I will happily clean your lawn and bed of the iris. I will bring a trowel, too. You'll just need to show me explicitly what you would like to dig. I will take some home and hopefully they will spread as vigorously in my flower bed :)

Laura

• sasha_nh
    14 years ago

Hey All,

Will be bringing bee balm (merlot), hosta (sub and substance i think), yellow archangel,anise hyssop and a few other goodies. Blake, I can dig some garlic chives for u-(they spread like crazy)and Im pretty sure I have enough lemonbalm. If you have enough echinacea and feverfew Id love some.

• laurav22
    14 years ago

Hi Sasha,

Could I reserve a hosta from you and the yellow archangel?

I could also dig some variegated white (inside)/green (outside) 1-2' hosta if anyone is interested. Just let me know!

Thank you, Sasha!

Laura

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sasha NH, welcome and please e-mail me through GW for directions

Fran

• blaketaylore
    14 years ago

Hello Shasha,

I would appreciate the garlic chives and lemon balm and if you still have an unspoken for hosta, I would appreciate that too. I will bring you the feverfew and echinacea.

Blake

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I WILL BE CHECKING THE THREAD VERY FREQUENTLY DURING THE DAY AND THIS EVENING.

I WILL ALSO BE CHECKING MY E-MAIL FREQUENTLY ALL DAY.

SASHA-NH I HAVE NOT HEARD FROM YOU TO SEND YOU DIRECTIONS.

I WILL ALSO BE WATCHING THE WEATHER FORECASTS ON ALL 3 LOCAL TV STATIONS AT NOON AND AT 6PM.
    HOPEFULLY THEY WILL BE CORRECT AND THE RAIN COMING IN TONIGHT WILL BE GONE BY EARLY MORNING.

RIGHT NOW I PLAN ON GOING AHEAD WITH THE SWAP ON SATURDAY. IF THERE IS A BIT OF EARLY MIST OR DRIZZLE WITH THE WEATHER CLEARING UP, THAT WILL BE FINE WITH ME.

IF THERE IS ANY CHANGE TO THE DATE OF THE SWAP BECAUSE OF RAIN, I WILL E-MAIL EVERYONE THAT HAS E-MAILED ME FOR DIRECTIONS STARTING AROUND 7PM TONIGHT.

I WILL ALSO POST ON THE THREAD AS WELL.

IF ANY OF YOU HAVE CONCERNS THAT I MIGHT HAVE CHANGED THE DATE, JUST E-MAIL ME, OR CALL ME. I HAVE GIVEN THOSE THAT I SENT DIRECTIONS TO MY PHONE NUMBER AS WELL.

Keep your fingers crossed for the weather.

Looking forward to seeing "old garden swap friends" and meeting new ones.

Fran

• sandragw(6b_MA)
    14 years ago

Hi Fran,
    I will be bringing cocoa covered marshmallow and some rhubarb seeds from last year if I can remember where I place them.
    Blake- I am interested in the Feverfews, Echinacea and especially Southernwood. If you have any left, please put one aside for me. I think you are looking for peppermint. IÂm not sure what is the different between peppermint and spearmint plant. The picture can be found here if you are interested http://s726.photobucket.com/albums/ww269/balloon8/?action=view&current=gardenstuff2009025.jpg
    I have an unknown plant or maybe weed found in my garden. It is very pretty though. I will be either potting it up if anyone is interested or it will be gone. Here is that strange plant:
    http://s726.photobucket.com/albums/ww269/balloon8/?action=view&current=gardenstuff2009003.jpg

I will be bringing Cherry tomatoes seedling, spiderwort(you can see the color here http://s726.photobucket.com/albums/ww269/balloon8/?action=view&current=gardenstuff2009008.jpg )
    Let me know if anyone wants any of the following so I can dig all them up today:
    Lemon balm, Stella daylilies, orange daylily, Peppermint,
    ground cover with tiny yellow flower(great for stonewall)
    http://s726.photobucket.com/albums/ww269/balloon8/?action=view&current=gardenstuff2009006.jpg
    orange honeysuckle(from cutting)
    black currant(from cutting)
    lily of the valley (white)
    peppermints
    japanese spurge
    Vinca

• leira
    14 years ago

For those of you sharing these things, I'd love some lemon balm, garlic chives, and lily of the valley.

I mostly haven't been speaking up, assuming there would be plenty of plants, but I hope there will still be some things left for those who've been quiet!

I'm looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow, with my meager selection of offerings -- I just moved into this house last year, so there isn't much established yet.

• sandragw(6b_MA)
    14 years ago

I forgot to mention that I will be bringing Canna(red).
    Sandra

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sandra,

That strange plant is a jack in the pulpit plant. a woodland plant. If no one else wants to claim it at the swap, I'll take it, but will wait to see if anyone else wants it first. So dig it up.

Leira, there will be plenty of plants, divisions and seedlings for you.

Weather forecast so far looks good. Rain gone my dawn and plenty to of watering from mother nature.

FORGOT TO MENTION IN MY LAST POST. EVERYONE PLEASE REMEMBER TO BRING SOMETHING TO TAKE YOU PLANTS/SEEDLINGS HOME IN. I DON'T HAVE ANY TRAYS OR BOXES TO GIVE YOU TO USE.

Fran

• somorled
    14 years ago

Hello everyone, my name is Michael and I'm new to the Garden Web. I Live in Townsend Mass. I will write something more on topic once I have read through all the comments but I just wanted to introduce myself and say Hi, because I want to attend the plantswap this weekend and Fran asked me to post something here so she would have all the names in one place.

Happy gardening everyone!

• blaketaylore
    14 years ago

Hello Sandra,

I only have one small pot of southern wood unclaimed. But I can bring you a bunch of southern wood cuttings rooting in water. They root fast and you will be able to plant then in a couple a of weeks or less. I have enough cuttings that will be enough to start three or four plants and they grow pretty fast. I can dig up some feverfew for you but the echinecia that I had to share has all been claimed. If the people who I promised the echinecia to, do not attend tomorrow, I will be happy to set them aside for you.

I would be interested in Lemon balm, stella Day lillies , orange day lillies, orange honeysuckle cuttngs and black currant cuttings

Blake

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WEATHER IS GOING TO BE FINE FOR THE SWAP.

I'LL SEE EVERYONE IN THE MORNING. 10AM

FRAN

• sandragw(6b_MA)
    14 years ago

Hi Blake and Leira,
    Leira, I have a clump of lemon balm for you.
    Blake, I have a clump of lemon balm, stella Daylilies, orange daylilies(the biggest one I have), orange honeysuckle cuttings and Ben's Black current cuttings for you. Please dig up feverfew for me, 1 plant will be enough..I'm sure it will grow or I'll ask you again on our next swap :) Thanks!
    See you all tomorrow,
    Sandra

• leira
    14 years ago

Ooh, if there's extra feverfew available, I'd take that, too!

My wonderful hubby has agreed to undertake another garden expansion (I can't easily do this myself, being 7 months pregnant), so I'll be able to come home with a few more things than I'd initially thought. I still need to keep it somewhat limited, however!

Thanks, everyone.

• laurav22
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Mike, if you have any hosta left, I would be happy to have one.

Hi Sandra, I would love the japanese spurge, spiderwort, the stone crop with yellow flowers, and the jack-in-the-pulpit (only if Fran truly doesn't want it first). I have been looking for a jack-in-the-pulpit and didn't know if they would grow in this climate.

Blake, I went ahead and dug a variegated hosta for you, but if you don't want it, we'll find another home for it :)

Fran, thank you so much for organizing this. I have all your plants and the seedum came up nicely. I am a little worried that I didn't get enough root fiber on one of the heuchera, but we'll have to wait and see.

Looking forward to tomorrow,

Laura

• blaketaylore
    14 years ago

Hello New Gardening Friends,

This will be my last post this evening, but I will check it early in the morning for any last minute requests or news.

SANDRA, thank for setting those things aside for me. I searched the garden and found an echinacea that I was able to dig up for you. It's not as big as the others but it will grow. I also found some southernwood that I was able to dig up and pot and of course the fever few.

LIERIA, I had set aside a pot of Lily of the valley for you and I will make sure to dig up a feverfew for you in the morning. If you want anything else please post. I am bringing extra but I have just so much room in my car so I am putting in first what people have requested. I will check this post in the morning before I leave.

DE YSS DIANE I have 4 pots for you: feverfew, siberian Iris, Eyptain onion, Rose Campion

SASAHA: feverfew, echinacia,

LUV2GROW: lilly of valley, small red pom pom dalhia

LAURA: cat nip
    MIKE: three pots of Eygptian Onions
    KEIGHTY: four pots of Rose Campion
    JayDEE: Echinacia

I hope I didn't miss anybody or anything. If anyone had requested anything that I promised and it is not listed here please post so I can dig it up if I still have some available to share.

I will be bringing over fortyfive plants. Many of them in gallon containers. This is my first swap and I am trying to stay as organized as I can. So please be forgiving if I forgot something.

I have never potted so many plants before. I hope they all survive the ride down. I am surprised that I was able to find containers for all of them! ANd it wasn't until I saw them all line up by the car did I even start thinking about being able to fit them all in! But I will!

Looking forward to meeting you all.

And Fran, I wont forget the Lemonaide and apple knobby cake.

Blake

• blaketaylore
    14 years ago

Laura,

Yes, I would love to have the variagate hosta. Thank you for digging it up.

Blake

• extragalactic
    14 years ago

Sandra:

Regarding your "strange" plant, Fran identified it from the "Jack-in-the-Pulpit" genus (Arisaema) -- which I think is specifically Arisaema dracontium (in the American woodland natives category of the Arisaema). It's hard to tell from your picture, but do you have a similar plant growing off to the right-hand-side of the image (with a darker stem)?

I don't have much experience with Arisaema, but I've read that they are slow growers (taking 3-5 years to reach blooming size like yours), and don't like to be disturbed.

I would be happy to take it at the swap if you really don't want it (though Fran can claim first dibs), but I wouldn't be offended if you reconsidered digging it up...

As a fun note on the topic, here's a picture of a much wackier Arisaema (Arisaema speciosum var. magnificum) that I planted as a bulb this spring and is just starting to emerge... the three-leaved stalk is on the left, the bloom on the right. It makes me think of the movie "Alien."

-Mike

• somorled
    14 years ago

So much activity on this thread!

Jumping in a bit late here but here goes.

I'm new to having garden space so I don't have a lot but,
    I have a horeradish plant I'll bring,
    a spiderwort plant, (blue flowers)
    I have a couple of "patio tomato" plants I would be interested in trading for cherry tomatos of some sort,
    I have some baby persian violets,
    and some "wild" violets too, (purple flowers)
    a japanese Iris,
    also I have some sugar maple seedlings growing like weeds,
    (at least I assume they are sugar maples, that's what the big maple in my yard is anyway)
    I have some elm seedlings if anyone is interested in those too.
    Marigold seeds,
    Rosa rugosa seeds,

What I am interested in:
    Cherry tomatoes,
    Basil,
    The black currant mentioned if there is enough,
    The honey suckle too if there is enough,
    day lillies,
    Lilacs,
    any herbs,
    anything edible really, I like to grow things that have multiple uses.

Thanks for reading!

• leira
    14 years ago

Blake, I'd also love catnip (as would the cats, certainly), if you have any extra. I didn't get my seeds planted this year.

Thanks so much!

• extragalactic
    14 years ago

@ Fran: Thanks for having your friend set aside the Dianthus [amurensis] 'Siberian Blues' -- sounds perfect. Also, if there is a little bit (not more!) left over of the Iris sibirica -- which I can help Laura dig out of your lawn -- I would appreciate it.

@ Blake: Thanks for setting aside the Egyptian Onions -- I'm hoping they do better than the one I tried last year...

@ Laura: I'll set aside one of the Hosta 'Honeybells' for you.

@ Sandra: I'll defer to Laura (or Fran) on the Arisaema dracontium (Jack-in-the-Pulpit).

See you all in the morning.

-Mike

• sandragw(6b_MA)
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Laura- If you have any Sedum left, please put one aside for me. I will dig the following up in the morning for you : japanese spurge, spiderwort and the stone crop with yellow flowers.
    Mike- I would love Lilium asiaticum if you have any left.
    From the the American woodland natives category , I think it is more like Arisaema triphyllum, with three-leaved stalk.

"do you have a similar plant growing off to the right-hand-side of the image (with a darker stem)?"
    I dug up both plants and put into 1 container, the other plant seems to have a darker stem. These two are just happen to be in places where I donÂt want them to be and I have to make room. I actually have one big jack-in-the-pulpit about 3 times the size of the one in the photo. I will check tomorrow morning and see if I can find any more outside and will pot them up. Otherwise, there are 2 plants in the pot and I think it should be fine to split them apart. I am sure I will have more next year.

Leira- I would love to have a German chamomile seedling from you if there is any left. I will be bringing you: lemon balm.
    Blake- lemon balm, stella Daylilies, orange daylilies, orange honeysuckle cuttings and Ben's Black current cuttings.

Somorled- cherry tomatoes( I will be bringing at least 15). I will get you the Black currant and honey suckle cutting in the morning.

I hope I didnÂt miss anyone. I will be checking my email in the morning.
    Have a great evening!
    Sandra

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

MICHAEL,
    have 4 kinds of basil, parsley and daylily for you.

Who ever wants the jack in the pulpit, please take it. I was only thinking of Sandra tossing it out. Ugh hate to see a plant tossed.

Plenty of the iris to take and this year you will see it in bloom as well.

I also have some cherry tomatoes for the taking.

OK All, I'm going to bed, see you all in the morning.

Fran

• blaketaylore
    14 years ago

Hello Gardeners,

Well the swap is over and I thought I had brought a lot of plants down, but I brought just any many back home with me! The car was stocked to the brim both ways!
    I would like to thank the ladies, again, who helped me unload all the plants and the gentleman who helped me load new plants into my car.

I appreciate all the wonderful new plants that I now can have the joy of planting in my yard, from the tiny columbine seedlings to the beautiful large day lillies, they are all a welcomed addition to my gardens.

Fran, it was so busy there. It certaintly seem to be a successful swap for evertyone. Thank you for organzing it and hosting. One of the many things I love about gardeners, they seem to smile a lot!

I send you all happy wishes that your gardens blooms with great beauty and bounty this summer both materially and spiritually.

Blake

• zahzeen
    14 years ago

I just finished planting all the wonderful annuals, perennials, roots, seeds and vegetables from the swap and next will start going through "The Heirloom Gardener" book! Fran, thank you so much for sponsoring this event. It was a wonderful day and I very much enjoyed meeting you, your husband, your friends and other gardeners. Next time I go to a swap, I'll now know what to do. Thank you again.

Sincerely,
    Marlene

• leira
    14 years ago

I'd like to second the thanks to littleonefb/Fran for hosting, and to everyone who brought plants to share. I didn't have much to offer (this year!) but I was able to find homes for everything, and I came home with many wonderful things.

Thanks, everyone!

leira/Linda (and the little one)

• katllama
    14 years ago

I'm also going to jump in and say HUGE THANKS Fran for hosting. It was fun to meet so many and share plants. I have my plants and seedlings all set out to plant tomorrow. I can't wait to see them all grow-up in their new home.

Gracias everyone!

• somorled
    14 years ago

Yes a great big THANK YOU to Fran and everyone!! It was great getting to meet everyone and talk about gardening and all kinds of cool stuff. After seeing the results of winter seeding I am DEFINITELY going to have to try this next year! I think it's so great that you guys do this, encouraging gardening can only be a good thing!

Also I don't know who took the Persian violet (it was all by itself in a 6 pack) I brought but I wanted to let them know that it is a hardy perennial in this zone, we planted the mother plant outside last fall and not only did it come back this spring but as you can see it had babies.

Again Thank you!
    Michael/Somorled

• Started_with_bean
    14 years ago

Thanks for hosting, Fran! You can already count me in for next year. My neighbors were envious of my new "babies" and want to join me next year. I also took home more plants than I planned, but they will all be enjoyed. It was nice to meet so many people who were so into gardening. See you all next year.

• sandragw(6b_MA)
    14 years ago

Thank you to Fran for hosting the event again! It was very nice meeting you all. Thank you everyone for all the wonderful plants!
    Take care,
    Sandra

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You are all quite welcome, and thank you for coming to the swap.

It was quite a large crowd, larger than the past 4 years, but the more the merrier. The swap keeps growing in size every year and that is so much fun. More people, new people, new garden friends to meet and always new and more variety of plants, seedlings, divisions to share.

Blake, my hubby said the same thing, gardeners are always smiling, especially at a swap.

So here are some questions for all of us. Why all the smiles yesterday?

1. Because all the plants, seedlings, divisions where finding new homes because we had no place for them in our gardens?

2. Because of all the new plants and seedlings we where bringing home to replace the ones we where giving away?

3. Because we where all with a group of people just like ourselves, crazy, plant loving, gardeners and no one at the swap thought we where crazy, but rather, we where al the sane ones?

4. Because we where with a group of people with common interests and could just let ourselves be ourselves and not think twice about it?

5. Because it is all of the above?

Now I'll answer first, it's because of all of the above. Can't get any better than a bunch of like minded gardeners, all together in one location with tons and tons of plants and seedlings being offered for free and adding to the garden beds, talking with people about our love of gardening and having good food and drinks and perfect weather to boot.

So I'll see all of you again, around the same time of year next year. And again for what will be the 5th year in a row, I'll be praying that I will have no more back problems and not facing another spine surgery after the swap.

Thank you all for coming, glad everyone had such a good time, brought home "new babies" for the beds and as always, everyone is welcome to come, with or without plants, seedlings, divisions. Just come and take home our extras and give them good homes.

NOW, all that wonderful home made food; I posted a thread to collect all those recipes. Everyone was saying things like I've got to get that recipe, so folks start posting the recipes for them.

Michael, wintersowing is the best. Go onto the Winter sowing forum and read the FAQ's to start with.

Have a question post on the forum. We are the friendliest and most welcoming forum on GW. No question is ignored, and we will welcome you with open arms and get you addicted real quick.
    And you can always e-mail me any time with questions.

Kathy, they will grow up perfectly in their new home, on the other end of town. I will have to come and see them. It's not like we are that far away from each other.

OK, time for me to start killing my back and get my beds planted. Count down time for me, before I'm not able to garden again till the fall.
    You all saw what is in my fenced in yard to get in the ground.

POST THOSE RECIPES FOR ALL OF US.

AGNES THOSE STUFFED PHYLLO...

• sasha_nh
    14 years ago

Fran,

Sheila and I would also like to say Thank-you for hosting. We love all of our new plants and had a great time.

Marsha

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

fran,

Thanks for organizing yet another swap, it was a pleasure meeting some new people.

Lisa

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Marsha and Sheila, you are quite welcome. Glad you like the new plants and had a great time.

Lisa, So good to see you again this year too and with those chicken salad sandwiches again.
    Hope your back is feeling better today. Mine has recovered from the past few days, but it won't last long, got all those plants to get in the ground.

Lisa, post the recipe for the chicken salad on the thread I started, and everyone else that brought homemade goodies, Please, please, do the same.

Fran

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipes from the Billerica Plant Swap

• sarada
    14 years ago

I had a great time at the swap, so did my daughter who came along. Thanks Fran for organizing the swap and thanks to all. All the seedlings got their new home.

• extragalactic
    14 years ago

Fran,

Thanks for organizing the plant swap -- it was great!

I got some great new plants, and unloaded some pots to free up space on the patio!

It was nice to meet a lot of other smiling gardeners and gardener assistants!

-Mike

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sarada, glad you had a good time at the swap, and your daughter is adorable, especially when she was carrying around those swan planters that "she" took home with her.

Hope you post a picture of her with them and the plants in them, and glad those seedlings have gotten a good home and they sure are enjoying the water they are getting

Mike, glad to have you at the swap and you got some great new plants and where able to free up space on the patio.

There isn't anything much better than a big group of gardeners getting together to swap plants, take home seedlings, have great talks with wonderful food and beverages to go with it.

So where are all those great recipes? post them on the thread I started, so many people are asking me for the recipes and I don't have them.

Fran

• deewah
    14 years ago

Fran! Your swap was great. Thank you for hosting it. I loved being around such nice people again. My sister said shes going to join this garden web & my daughter loved watching daddy dig holes in the yard.

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Deewah, so glad you came to the swap. So much for taking nothing home this time. Told you that doesn't happen, you would find more to bring home and help on what to do and how to grow them.

Welcome to your sister, another new member of GW and both of you should check out the winter sowing forum on GW and get ready to sow your own seeds over the winter and early spring.
    Once you start winter sowing seeds, you will be hooked for life and really fill up those beds and have tons of seedlings to add to the swap.

Now that daughter of yours, what a sweetheart and cutie she is is. Just think, next year she will be walking when you come to the swap and will be able to help you pick out new plants for your gardens.

That's how my garden beds started to grow. I would take my kids with me to the garden centers when they where little. Oldest, now 31, was just 2 years old when he went the first year.
    My instructions where to hold my hand, touch nothing and tell me when you see something you like.
    NO rhyme or reason for what he would pick out, never could explain why, even as he got older, but something about the flower or the leaves or whatever it was he liked.

He chose, I bought and he helped plant them.

He had good taste too. marigolds, zinnias, tomatoes, peppers, "heart plant" otherwise known as a morning glory, but a "heart plant" to him. "fuzzy flower" was the chives in bloom. Those where some of his first picks.

He added to the collection every year and then "little sister" came along and joined "the party". Funny how they never chose the same flowers or plants and never liked each other's choices either.

So you are ahead of the game, your daughter is younger and getting into the gardening even earlier.

Just give a holler, either e-mail or call me, if you have any questions about the plants and growing them, your sister too.

Now all we need is the rain to slow down a bit and some sun and warm weather. Will be amazing to see the growth that the plants will do and the blooms that will come with some sun and warm weather.

Fran