0
mikema_gw

Lobelia Hybrid 'Queen Victoria' How are they?

MikeMA

I just went to my local garden store and they had a few of these Queen Victoria Lobelia's. They have a beautiful deep burgandy leaves..........does anyone have any pictures of these? Do they spread quickly? I have no idea what this perenial does because there happened to be no picture on the pot.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)

It gets about 3 feet tall. The flowers are a brilliant red like the wild Lobelia cardinalis. I have not been able to winter over any of the purple leaved lobelias. Lobelia in general is a tricky plant for me-it prefers soil that is damp in the summer but apparently doesn't care for winter wet. I've had the best success with a cultivar called Ruby Slippers.

Sue

• diggingthedirt

MikeMA,
    if you'll put your zone in your login, we'll be better equipped to answer this kind of question.

I've had red-leaved lobelias overwinter (this winter, at least, maybe that's not going to be the norm) but I'm in zone 6. The tags are around here somewhere, but they did look a lot like L. cardinalis last year when they bloomed (and bloomed, and bloomed ...).

DtD

• celloangel

Hi, I'm here in Central AR, and first met Queen Victoria as a pond plant !?! I've kept a pot in the barrel pond on my deck the last couple of summers, with the roots just under the water, and they have been beautiful. I love the bronze leaves against the bronze spitter.

Celloangel

• trillium41

This is a separate question, but how often should lobelias be divided? I have a friend whose plants have gotten quite big. I haven't had a lot of luck with lobelias myself, so I really don't know if they die out in the center as they age or what. Any info you could give me would be appreciated.

• Hicup

I purchased this plant this summer. I have the card that was with it. It is a perennial. Plant in sun or partial sun
    It blooms in the summer but it did not say if it is all summer. Height is 24-36" tall, space 12" apart. Water conditions: perfers consistent soil moisture. Grows well at water's edge or in bog gardens. Hardiness Zones: USDA Zone 3 (-40 degrees F) to USDA Aone 10 (30 degrees F)
    Features: Vibrant flowers contract beautifully with rich burgundy foliage and attract hummingbirds and butterfies to the garden. Both flowers and foliage are striking in a lightly shaded garden or at water's edge, planted with hosta, daylily and spiderwort.

I personally planted mine in our fish pond with the roots covered with gravel and the water over the top of the gravel. It is now flowing and it gets small bright red flowers. I have it next to bamboo in the pond and have golden lilies next to it and lily pads. More and more shoots are coming all the time. I believe it will be quite striking. I live about 60 miles outside of Chicago, IL and I plan on trying to winter it over. I do not know if I should remove it from the water or not. Our bamboo we used to remove from the water and let the pot sit up next to the house but the last 2 years we have left it in the water and it has been fine so I may try that with this plant. Does anyone have any information regarding that situation? OUr winters can get to below zero but 10 below does not usually happen.

• ego45

I found this old thread while searching for info on QV.
    Any updates on performance/overwintering from those who had it last year?
    I got three plants and planning to plant them in a 3 different locations:
    a) part-shade (2 hours of hot direct afternoon sun, ordinary unmulched clay, probably micro z7 location),

b) part-shade (virtually dappled shade the whole day, somewhat wettish mulched area, could be overly wet in a winter and spring),

c) part-sun (3-4 hours of morning sun, average clayish mulched soil, where daylilies, platicodons, hardy geraniums and peonies are very comfortable, but spring bulbs( alliums and daffodils) are on a constant decline for some reason)

Would you like to make a bets where it will do best?

• Monique z6a CT

I have a Queen Victoria next to my house (protected) in part sun. It is moist there b/c there is a windowbox directly overhead. I love the burgundy foliage but the flower stalks are not very stiff and they flop. It's been there for more than 5 years.

I got a new cultivar called 'Crown Royal' last year which I like much better. The burgundy tinted foliage makes a nice large mound shaped and the flowers are red. The foliage does not stay quite as dark as QV but is still somewhat burgundy by seasons end. Both of the CR plants came back for me.

• diggingthedirt

From a BBC site:
    Flowers from late summer to mid-autumn. It is short-lived but can be easily propagated by division in spring.

From mobot:
    In the wild, lobelias are typically found in wet areas such as bogs, moist meadows and along streams. This hybrid cultivar is more adapted to garden conditions and will generally live longer than the perennial species lobelias.

• ego45

Monique, would you care to post a picture of it?
    In a mean time found another possible place to put it,
    -d) very bright part-sun, among lupines thinking that it will provide some interest and color in mid-season and in a fall when lupines are ratty. Not particularly moist there, but clay + mulch should help.