Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cherylcan

Any suggestions to 'finish' windows on exterior of house?

cherylcan
11 years ago
Our original thought was to use shutters on window but some of the windows would require more narrow shutters than others. Considering some sort of molding and/or combination of shutters. Any thoughts would be most appreciated! Thanks!!!

Comments (8)

• User
    11 years ago
    Yes to the "beefed up trim", no to shutters!
  • nmanspach
    11 years ago
    Agree - beef up the trim, no shutters!
  • PRO
    By Design EM
    11 years ago
    Add trim in a contrasting color. Maybe a deep brown or gery if you want to stay neutral. I nice green grey could work also. You could add deeper apron trim at the bottoms of the windows to give them more character also. Check out some older architecture or European style homes for ideas. The trim around the window above the door is heavier than the rest so that should be evened out. Some nice iron window boxes along the bottom windows would warm it up a lot also. i agree the roof above the porch needs to be changed at some point. These planters can be found at www.ballarddesigns.com
  • sharleeg
    11 years ago
    you may need to consult a contractor on how to " beef" up that trim. i wanted to do that on one house i owned and it was darned near impossible to after the fact. I bet there is a way though. Also, your house is suffering from the " white garage door " syndrome! Big, huge expanses of white on front of house. One solution to make your windows "pop" a bit more without the add'l trim is to paint the trim a color other than white, such as an olive green and then could do that on garage doors as well. I think that would be lovely. Good luck!
  • scohrs
    11 years ago
    I would also widen the trim. It's a very pretty, and somwhat traditional exterior. I think the wider trim would finish the look nicely. I don't think shutters are the right option due the different sizes of the windows. I think I would keep the trim white to maintain the traditional look.
  • jjjoyful
    11 years ago
    I totally agree with decoenthusiaste. Below are some links to porticoes that are similar in concept. The one you have does not match the house line and draws attention to itself in a not-so-good way. It might be more expensive than you initially thought you would spend, but it would be well worth the change

Architecture Walk: Exterior Styles and Palettes · More Info

Architecture Walk: Exterior Styles and Palettes · More Info

Authentic Colonial Transformation · More Info

Front Porches and Porticos · More Info

This one follows the line of the garage doors rather than the other roof peaks and is also interesting:
    Exterior · More Info

If you search on houzz by the terms "house facade" or "house exterior," you will see so many beautiful examples that will give you ideas. Beefing up the areas already suggested would make a world of difference and make your beautiful home even more beautiful.
  • cherylcan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I agree re: the 'no shutter idea' and the portico was supposed to be rounded however.....still waiting for builder to change it! : ) Appreciate the sights also.