0

Many flowers--no peppers

trfanatic

Hello all,

my 3 Bhut Jolokia and 1 Red Savina plants are producing many flowers but not a single pepper. The plants are under 2 40 watt grow lights and have brown leaves near the top (I assume from being too near the light) but otherwise are in great condition. I fertilize them weekly as I always have.

Any ideas?

Thanks alot,

Ravi

• thepodpiper

what are you using for ferts and how much are you giving them every week.

Dale

• byron

Sounds like too much nitrogen Milircal Grow is famous for this factor

• trfanatic

I switched to 10-10-10. Crossing my fingers.

Ravi

• kj_57701

The peppers are self-pollinating to a degree, but I would just for fun and experimentation take a small paint-brush and try to pollinate the Bhut Jolokia by hand. It cannot hurt. The lone Red Savina will probably have to fend for itself.
    A question: I know that the foliage tends to increase with too much Nitrogen. Does Nitrogen also affect the amount of flowers produced? It occurred to me that if there's tons of flowers and nothing seems really wrong, could it really be excess Nitrogen? Or is the Red Savina and Bhut Jolokia just not that good at self-pollinating?

• willardb3

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
    2. Night temp too low 3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
    4. Too much water
    5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
    6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
    7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
    8. Lack of pollinating insects.
    9. Size of pot

1. Too much mineral in feedwater.
  • smokemaster_2007

Calcium is good for flowering/fruiting.
    Might try one of the blossom sprays-bonide tomato and blossom set or similar product might help.
    A lot of cactus fertilisers have a high calcium ratio in them.
    Dolomite Lime has magnesium and calcium but too much will change your PH.
    I find that if when I put my sprouts in their final growing container if I add some bone meal (phosphorous) my plants seem to do better with fruit bearing etc.

• shockingelk

kj -

Yes, too much nitrogen can keep some plants in vegetative growth instead of flowering. They figure there's so much nitrogen they might as well keep getting bigger instead of flower.