Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goose77_gw

Easy way to extract seeds from hundreds of peppers?

goose77
16 years ago

Just wondering if anybody knows of an easy way of extracting pepper seeds from the peppers. I harvest hundreds and hundreds of cayenne peppers each year and have to go through the painstaking task of seperating the seeds by hand so i can make powder. I dont want to just rip out the whole septum strip that the seeds are attached to because that holds a lot of the capsaicin. Is there a method or a machine that will seperate them easily? I know it has to be done, because the commercial pepper powder companies do it. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Comments (28)

• fiedlermeister
    16 years ago

You can use a blender or food processor if you are not going to use the pepper flesh

• goose77
    Original Author
    16 years ago

no.....i need the flesh, and the septum to make the powder. You cant put the seeds in with the septum or flesh, because it will make the task even more difficult...unless you have a strategy for getting the seeds out afterwards

• bonmiece
    16 years ago

I'm just guessing here, but would halving the peppers, drying them, and then extracting the seeds from the dried pods work?

It seems to be that that would involve less work.

• goose77
    Original Author
    16 years ago

but how would you extract the seeds? doing them by hand would take forever. I do hundreds if not a thousand or so cayenne.

• fiedlermeister
    16 years ago

So-remove the seeds then strain the pulp and dry it for your powder.

• web_of_hair
    16 years ago

Well last year what I did was dried the peppers, then put them in a food processor and turned that into as much of a powder as possible. Strained that Powder out. Any seeds that didn't turn into dust can be sorted out of the powder.

• goose77
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Fieldmaster.....i am wondering how to remove the seeds

• smiciklas
    16 years ago

Hi!
    The simple way to take the seeds from peppers is with
    Progressive seeds & stem remover, all you do split pod on half & scrape the seeds out.
    Here it is place where you can order scaper:
    Fante's Kitchen Wares Shop
    mail@fantes.com
    item is: Progressive Seeds & Stem Remover
    price is $3.99

• smiciklas
    16 years ago

I forget to mention when you scape the seeds out always ware plastic gloves before you handle it.
    Wally

• web_of_hair
    16 years ago

but c'mon smicklas, you know ya want your hands to burn for a few days even after tons of washing.....

• smiciklas
    16 years ago

You have to change gloves few times if you have lot of pods, they will burn little but you going to be Ok, if they burn very bad soke in milk that will take care of that.
    Wally

• fiedlermeister
    16 years ago

Hmm-separating the seeds from the fleah might be a problem. I think they are easier to deseed when dried. I cut the pods in half and put in the dehydrator at low temps-90 degrees until dry.

• smiciklas
    16 years ago

That what I found on internet how to take seeds out from large amounts of peppers.

PROCESS: There are two methods, dry and wet, to process
    pepper seeds. The dry method is adequate for small amounts. Cut the bottom off the fruit and carefully reach in to strip the seeds surrounding central cone. In many cases, seeds need no further cleaning. To process the seed from large amounts of peppers, cut off the tops just under the stem, fill a blender with peppers and water and carefully blend until good seeds are separated and sink to bottom. Pepper debris and immature seeds will float to the top where they can be rinsed away. Spread clean seeds on paper towel and dry in cool location until seed is dry enough to break when folded.
    Vladan Wally Smiciklas

• greengrass12
    16 years ago

Seeds do not have to be removed just because commercial companies may or may not do it. A friend gave me a baggie of ground habenaro and cayenne with seeds included. I use it in my oatmeal primarily after my frozen are used up. I can discern the taste diff btwn the 2 peppers but I have never tried them without seeds. I think I read someplace that seeds make it bitter but you can't prove it by me.

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    16 years ago

Wow, greengrass. Never considered chili seasoning in oatmeal! I'm not one for alot of heat. Not sure I could take it so early in the morning, but maybe it would be a better kick start than coffee.

I let whole cayenne peppers air dry. Then shake and tap them a bit. You will hear the seeds when they loosen, sounds like maracas...well like not very loud maracas. When you crack open the dried pods, most of the seeds shake right out. I just grind whatever remains. In fact, usually I grind it seeds and all. Generally do the shake and pour only if I want to try growing the seeds.

I'm curious. Do most of you grind seeds and all or do you take them out at some point? And why?

• ronnywil
    16 years ago

I removed the seeds from hundreds of cherry tomatoes by running them through a strainer attachment on a KitchenAid mixer. I ran them through several times and took the pulp and seeds, which is separated from the puree, and soaked it in a pan to separate the seeds.

If you did the same with the peppers and let the puree dry it might be easier to make it into a powder and you could save the seeds for planting.

• goose77
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Greengrass,
    Pepper powder without the seeds is much higher quality. You can taste a big difference between the two. The seeds, if not bitter, just dilute the flavor of the pepper. I used to do it with seeds in and now i wont do it any other way.

• greengrass12
    16 years ago

naturegirl, I should disclose that I also add cottage cheese or yogurt and banana for taste/nutrition and to diffuse the burn so that it is still strong enough to clear the sinuses but not kill me.

goose, I take seeds out of fresh or frozen peppers primarily to avoid digestive probflames. I have heard that the powder tastes better without seeds but I would be concerned about losing a lot of the heat from seeds.

• goose77
    Original Author
    16 years ago

greengrass.....believe it or not, but pepper seeds are heatless. if there is a part of the septum on the seeds, then you will taste heat. If you get a really hot pepper such as a habenero or bhut, you may taste some heat because some capsaicin bled onto the seed but, the seeds contain zero heat.

• greengrass12
    16 years ago

Thaks goose. That's good info.

• ushotstuff.com
    16 years ago

For large scale seed extraction of chile peppers I use this process.

Pick fruit only when fully ripe or just past ripe.

De-stem and cut in half.

Place in a tall glass or plastic container and mash down. Only fill half way.

Cover with water (Not city water) to just over the top of the mash.

Cover top of container and let sit 7-10 days. Give a stir once or twice a week.

The mash should ferment and "boil". This does two things. Brakes down the pulp and helps kill some seed bourn diseases.

Use a potato masher on the end of a long stick and mash the mash to help separate the seed from the pulp.

Fill the container with water and stir. the seeds will settle to the bottom.

Pore off the pulpy liquid and refill with water again. Do this until the water is clear. The seeds that do not sink fast are not worth keeping so don't worry about losing light weight seeds.

Pour water and seeds into a large sieve or screen to capture seed. let sit and drain well.

Spread wet seeds on paper towels or news paper in a thin layer to dry. Changing the paper and a slow speed fan speeds drying. Let dry for at least one week or longer before bulking together. Seeds can mold if dried to slow or not enough before bulking.

This processcan also be done on a small scale using 1/2 gallon caning jars.

Enjoy the heat,
    Uncle Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Uncle Steve's HOT Stuff

• byron
    16 years ago

Just how many seeds do you need?

FWIW I did a plactic shopping bag full of chimayo peppers. I saved about 3 oz that didn't go thru a dryer, I had about 6 oz of seed that went thru the dryer.

Reality, the seeds from one pepper would have been enough for me and most of my friends :-)

• User
    16 years ago

I think we're getting off base here.

I'm think Goose77 wants to get rid of (not save) seed so he can dry seedless flesh for powder.

• goose77
    Original Author
    16 years ago

u r correct ottawapepper, i just want to get rid of them

• pocketsquirrel69
    16 years ago

just a thought....
    they make a hand crank tomato strainer...
    it would separate seeds and skins from the pulp.
    i know a portugese friend who makes hot pepper paste and swears by it. they have different sized screens for processing fruits and vegs with different sized seeds.
    i think they run anywhere from $30 to $60 for ones of reasonable quality.
    but if your peppers are dry this method won't work.

if you use a food dehydrator to dry the paste then grind that into powder it may work...?

just a thought,

Matti

• goose77
    Original Author
    16 years ago

pocketsquirrel,
    That is great advice! Do you know what the brand is and where i can buy it? Can you find that out for me? I grow probably 50 or so cayennes, and i have many other varieties too. That would save a ton of time. This is the track i want to go. Mass deseeding quickly!

Thanks!

• azkitch
    16 years ago

You wanna buy something? There's this place on the web where you bid, and I hear they sell nearly everything...
    I just saw a buy it now "NORPRO" tomato strainer there. Plus you get to buy from E-BAY. Perhaps a commercial restaurant supply house, too.

• PRO
    MabryArtStudio
    last year

Try a drill

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH