Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbourque82

Looking for style advice on an awning...

jbourque82
11 years ago
Hi,

First time poster. My wife and I bought our first home last year, and it is fairly devoid of character. We wanted to add an a frame style awning to the front door, but are concerned it will just look awkward.

Anyone have any suggestions based on the photos? We live in New England and see a lot of nice wooden carved designed A framed little awnings on the homes around us.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Comments (9)

• jbourque82
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Elise! That could be really cool. One problem is that on the inside, there is a wall to the left of that entryway. It's a wall that separates a stairwell that goes upstairs, so itd be impossible to move the door much further left. Does anyone ever have a gable with a door that isn't centered? I imagine that would look sort of ridiculous but I've got no idea. I like the idea of matching the angle of the lower roof with a gable though, that's cool.
  • Elise
    11 years ago
    Sure you can have a gable without a centered door!You can add a window or sidelite to the door and balance with an outdoor bench or potted plants on the side opposite of the door. Consider opening the entry to the stairwell for a feeling of more volume. Would have to see a floor plan to see if it could work.

Restyled Home · More Info

craftsman teahouse · More Info

Dwellings · More Info
  • jbourque82
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hmm. This could work. Thanks again Elise
  • PRO
    PYC Awnings
    11 years ago
    Have you thought about a canvas door awning. They are simple to install and come in lots of colors.

http://www.pycawnings.com/awnings/canvas-door-awning
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    If you're looking for somthing less complex, these are nice: [houzz=
    Cozy Retreat · More Info
    ]
    Or this: [houzz=
    studiobfg.com · More Info
    ]
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Lowe's sells and interesting crimped metal roofing one that looks much like Private Residence II but won't ever have to be replaced. Check it out.
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    Very nice, I like Bobbi P's suggestion of the simple top awning with side wall sconces -
    you definitely need something to give it some pizzazz. Research photos and find the look you love and the colour palette you want. Good Luck!
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    It looks like your house is older and was resided fairly recently and had its original side porch enclosed.. I can't see it too well but it looks like you have something Colonial Revival or Italianate next door.

Note how sculptural the house next door looks in relation to yours which looks very flat. The windows on the second floor in particular look too small and out of proportion, and the shutters are undersized--they should look like they actually could cover the window. Taking them off on the second floor is a possibility.. Your house probably orignally was rather modest in comparison to the one next door, but modern siding tends to do that--make everything look flat. Throw in vinyl windows with fake mullions, narrow casings, inoperable shutters and boxed in soffits, you get an old modern house. Looks tidy but bland. Like the color and the green roof though.

So now what? I would really consider adding a trellis to the left of the front door to balance out the facade and perhaps a simple gable with simple brackets over the stoop, with a simple pediment,. This is a timeless style used for nearly 100 years on all kinds of houses. It is very important to get the scale and styling right--don't just pick something off the shelf.

One problem you are going to have.is that the slope and height of the surrounding wall is too low for most options A shed roof or shallow arch is an option, as is extending the slope of the porch roof, or even mirroring it to make a shallow porch. It would be helpful if you could widen your stoop and beef up the railings. I would also paint out the white trim on the door.

You could also open up the enclosed porch, but that would probably cause you to lose your mudroom.

Here is a really rough mockup of what you could do (if you have the budget: Keep everything simple farmhouse style.

1) Paint the vent to match siding, add a very simple upside down I-shaped gable ornament--don't be tempted by the lacey kind--they just won't fit the house's styling

2) Take off shutters on second floor

3) Add a third matching window on second floor, even it it is in the closet

4)Tear out the undersized stoop and rebuild, possibly extending steps all the way to curb or connected somehow with drive

5) Extend the roofline of the entry and project facia to make it more dimentional--put siding in narrow fanlight pattern.

6) Add very simple square tapered or round (not fluted) pillars with a simple base and capital.

6) Add a simple chunky railing and paint the door one color..

7) Add a trellis or perhaps a small decorative window (round or oval) and train some flowering vines or roses to soften and add color.

8) If you really want to go all out, add a traditional iron fence to estableh a transition to sidewalk. A picket fence would be too heavy.