Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_697456

What to do with a 10 x 40 entry way??? What Color for all the walls?

User
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
This 2 story center colonial entryway has me tired and weary. I have been remodeling this 150 year old home..... Six bedrooms, one kitchen, a dining room, living room, two dens and 3 of the 4 bathrooms later.....I am exhausted, and burnt out. The carpet picture is what I am stuck with in the hallways and running up the stairs. A Titanic replica.....lots of money so the previous owners tell me. There are 2 entry doors one at each end...one is the front door the other is the back door that leads to a complete rap around porch. More pictures showing the 2nd floor if you click on sgriffith46.

Comments (22)

• charleee
    11 years ago
    Ok, the Titanic sunk. Many years ago. Why are you stuck with it? I would love to see this stair runner in your house, and maybe in the hallway too. [houzz=
    Casual Staircase Runner · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    The "in" color these days is gray, and since your have colors in your runner that go well with gray, I think you should consider painting your entry a medium gray with white trim. That will give you a nicely updated look while using the runner you're stuck with.
    A Classical Journey: The Houses of Ken Tate · More Info
  • PRO
    Leiyuan Industrial Co., Ltd
    11 years ago
    You can try some carpet floor tiles in porcelain, which easier to clean than carpet, check www.tileexport.com.
  • PRO
    Custom Home Planning Center
    11 years ago
    Up lite LED crown and white possible a raised panel sheet rock below the chair rail. [houzz=
    Mallets Bay Shingle · More Info
    ]

just add the drywall and a chair rail: http://www.diyadvice.com/diy/drywall/advanced-techniques/raised-panel/
  • User
    11 years ago
    Beautiful home! Thanks for sharing the pictures. I would do antique white to keep the hallway as light as possible with the carpet and flooring being dark. You can add artwork in the hallway for color, tables, vases, etc.
  • Belle La Vue
    11 years ago
    Beautiful home. Love the paint examples of Marie Hebson and Carolyn Albert. Either the gray or blue would be stunning! I do like the stripe carpet but am afraid that it may make the long hallway seem even longer.
  • Jamieson
    11 years ago
    You have some good suggestions from above, but I'm rather inclined to side with Bobbi P. If you don't enjoy this runner sell the bloody thing, why should you have to base your decisions on the past owners who wanted to be "king of the world!". Scrap it, sell it, and get something you REALLY want! It's a gorgeous home and you shouldn't have to base your decor decisions upon someone else's infatuation with the Titanic.
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    Forget painting the walls the 'in' color. Forget stripes running down an already long hallway. If you like the rug, keep it. It suits the house and beats spending thousands for a new rug.

I would pick up the colors in the rug, by painting the walls this beautiful rich cream by Ben Moore: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/richcream#ce_s=rich cre It will subtly mimic the sun making the space feel warm and will pick up the golden color in the floor.

The painted trim I would keep white. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/chantillylace

And finally I would use paint chips to find an exact match for the blue in your rug. When I had found it I would paint 4X4 areas (on one wall) to be certain the paint color doesn't change once it has dried. When I was satisfied I had an exact match I would mix it at a ratio of 1 part blue to 4 or 5 parts white and end up with very soft almost indiscernible color to paint the ceiling with.

Your room will be warm, inviting and calming at the same time while remaining being true to its history. These colors subtly reflect the warmth of the sunshine and the blue of the sky with soft clouds passing overhead.

The attached pictures, though not exactly the colors I have in mind, will give you an idea of what I envision.

Please post pictures after you have completed it. I know I'm not the only one that would like to see the end results!
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    I'm for "white on white". or...off white. This beautiful home needs few adornments. On the bottom half of the hall wall maybe moulding and a beautiful art on the wall "gallery"..with a bench below...or console with fab mirror to look at yourself at the bottom of the stairs. If you like the rug keep it! If not, sell it!
  • Good Taste
    11 years ago
    Um, same as elsewhere in the house?
  • Elise
    11 years ago
    Beautiful home! Let the flooring and woodwork speak for themselves! My first thought was Italian plaster treatment that is pale aqua like the sky and hovers over the white trim and glowing floors. It will pick up the blue in the carpet also.

Break up the length with large tables, mirrored tops and chandeliers hanging over them. Then smalller pendants similar to the chandeliers, evenly spaced down the ceiling length.

Don't forget the ceiling! Besides lighting, a beautiful molding treatment with a darker blue ceiling,will make it recede yet give it interest, creating an old world effect.

Entry · More Info

Salon with Custom Plaster Ceiling · More Info

Rough Hollow Parade Home · More Info

Living Room · More Info
  • PRO
    TJG Design Studio
    11 years ago
    Beautiful home! BM has some great Historical colours Revere pewter HC 172 is so soft or a lighter choice is Windsbreath OC 24. I would add an upholstered long tufted bench seat where the large furniture piece is sitting, with a tall heavy framed mirror behind it. I would also add a darker wood open console/sofa table 16" deep on wall where lamp is sitting. Add a table lamp or 2 wall sconces above console. You could place a leather stool pushed under the console. Add large artwork or a series of smaller black and white photos (all framed similar) above table hung horizontal in a row.
  • shauna499
    11 years ago
    Looks great the way it is! Antique white usa for walls and add the biggest ceiling lantern you can find from Horchow, shades of light, pottery barn etc and it will be all class.
  • whiskeyrobot
    11 years ago
    Stick with the rug style pictured. It is period, and all your renovations are period as well, why mix genres? I can appreciate th rugs being subtle, and don't scream for attention amidst the tone of your beautiful floor. I have to ask about why the treads on the staircase have been painted white (unless you haven't worked on them yet) ? I'll be the first to admit when I'm not knowledgeable about a style, and this is one of those times. I'm honestly not sure which colors will work for that entry way, but you've already got custom made rugs for the space, I would encourage you to pull from that color pallete. I'm seeing some light blues and pale greens that might be worth exploring. Also, I think some lighting could help out the space a lot. A couple of standing lamps at teh entry or evena low profile chandelier? Just ideas..
  • mdancer
    11 years ago
    Gorgeous Home! I'd suggest vertical stripes on the wall, (to give the ceiling a lift) white off white, either paint or wallpaper. Leave the runner on the steps alone. Add tin ceiling. Maybe Crown molding. Area rug at the door, to break the "striped" effect of the hardwood.
  • Belle La Vue
    11 years ago
    Wow...that's a lot of differing opinions. So many great ideas. I think your home is so beautiful there will be so many ways to go that will be great. Take a breather from you renovating and then go with your gut.
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    I would love to see this grand hallway with an equally grand wallpaper! You have so many color options. This could be a great gallery space.
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    I'm with houssaon. Definitely a wallpaper to do justice to that wonderful hallway. Possibly a chinoiserie? Or a grasscloth?
    Ming Circus Wallpaper · More Info
  • PRO
    Venetian Art Inc.
    11 years ago
    Try a Carrara Lime Plaster in pure white.
  • iowajane
    11 years ago
    keep the runner and go with judyg idea