aletheiak

TyTy Nursery in GA

aletheiak

I have been doing some research on TyTy nursery and I only wish I had done it before I ordered from them. They really took me for a ride! Fraudulent and misleading advertising. I ordered 5 Camellia Alba Plena from them plus other plants. They sent the right labels but the wrong plants; they were all Sasanquas! Ordered the Soulangiana Magnolia and they sent me a Southern Magnolia which we have plenty of. I ordered 3 Fringe trees (supposed to be in gallon pots) they sent me 3 sticks. The website has extraordinary claims and talks also about their plant specialists. I called "one"; he didn't know anything. I have reported them to the BBB Online; I hope it helps others from being deceived and disappointed. I checked GardenWatchDog but it said TyTy had requested they remove all info about them from their website. No wonder! They want to make money deceiving people as long as possible. Please spread the word that TyTy Nursery in TyTy Georgia is rotten!!

aletheia

• dsteere

Wow!

I live in Mapleville, RI

Man I am glad I saw this link.

I am researching and plan to plant a number of fruit trees, two of each, this coming March.

I was going to order a bunch of stuff from TyTy. THANKS for the heads up.

I plan to plant the following.

Apple
    Plum
    Peach
    Pear
    Cheery
    Apricot
    Nectarine

Walnut

Grape - Having fun building a arbor.
    Blackberries
    Raspberries
    Strawberries
    Blueberries

Also want to get some citrus trees for inside my home.

Lime
    Lemon
    Grapefruit
    Orange
    Banana

Can anyone offer good soild online companies that offer excellent products?

Was checking out

1. Ison's - http://www.isons.com/
    2. Nature Hills - http://www.naturehills.com/

And TyTy's. Man I am glad I found this link!

Anyone have any others online companies? Look forward to reading more in this forum.

• Iris GW

dsteere, you can use Garden Watch Dog to find reviews of some online companies. Unfortunately TyTy is not listed because they forced Garden Watch Dog to remove them from the database (thus getting rid of a lot of negative comments on the web). Nature Hills appears to have a 78% positive rating right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Watch dog

Need help with color choices for the baby girl's nursery

Which leaves me with these 2 choices for the time being: Synthetic sheers in the right length 144 in: http://www.curtainworks.com/soho-voile-lightweight-sheer-curtain-panel.html very modestly priced at $29.99 a panel Note the generous width of 59 inches or These Restoration Hardware sheers in pink: http://www.rhbabyandchild.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?type=finalSale&productId=rhbc_prod375007 The price is also great, given the high quality and the absolutely beautiful shade of pink (I saw a swatch in person). They're too short, however, at 126 inches and note their width of only 40 inches. Do you think sheers of single width would look weird? So far I have a dresser / changing table positioned against the window so the length that's too short will not be visible and it will probably be very easy to lengthen these later. What do you think about the sheers width? I've read that the rule of thumb is 2 to 3 times the window width. Which option should I go with?

Nursery

Sweet potato vine. This is a very common container plant in the Atlanta area. In the spring you would be able to find this in any nursery including Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart nursery centers. I haven't planted anything since late May so I don't know what the local inventory or selection of plants is currently.

Help with Baby Girl's Room

Have you considered a mural on the wall. Personally I love murals in children's room because that's where you can successfully pull it off if you choose cleverly. Rather than bunnies and rainbow consider something personal yet unique and "classy" (for a child). Take a look at the child's room - not an infant but a slightly older girl we designed a while back. If you need more help fell free to drop me a line on my website. www.toriblackhome.com We offer online design services for out of town clients. TORI BLACK HOME Interior Design West Hollywood CALIFORNIA

Help me choose some nursery details

jsreams: Thank you so much! The first curtains were my favorite, but are discontinued now at West Elm. I didn't like the chevron option as much. I'm going to keep my eye out for more options. blenheimnewzealand: Thanks for posting those! They're beautiful and, in fact, a couple of them were my inspiration! alwaysdesigning: Good ideas! The artwork is already chosen (I already have those baby animals - they just need to be matted and framed). Those are going above the dresser and I don't have a lot more wall space to add much else (I don't want to hang anything over the crib. We don't have earthquakes often but they're possible and I don't want anything falling in there. The knobs are a great idea. The crib bedding is just grey and white (posted a pic in my original posts) and I already have it. I splurged on it so it's kind of non negotiable now, LOL. Avery: those are great! I'll check to see if they have 95" panels. But they will be pricey. I especially like numbers 4, 7 and 8.
  • garfieldreturns

BNiggest bounce of scam artists I have ever delat with.

Did not know any better and ordered 13 fruit trees, by giving them my visa card over phonr on oct 26, 2006.

Never recieved anyhting. Called dec, 4..told be shipped in another 2 weeks.

That was enough for me. phoned and cancelled my order on dec 5, 2006. Then called bank and reported cancellation to fruad visa department.

On Dec 6, 2006 they sent me box, deliverd dec 7, 2006. Even though cancelled order.

Did not open, Have already ordered the trees from other more reputable nursery, sending back tomorrow.

What kind of business never sends you there prioduct for 2 months, gets phone cancellation, then sends whatever 24 hour hours later to try and RIP YOU OFF?

Anymore crap from these guys and this will be a visa fraud case. DO NOT ORDER FROM THESE IDIOTS!

Most dishonest, unprofessional business I have ever dealt with in 25 years!!!!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

I was going to recommend Stark Bros in Mo. for fruit trees as I had used them in the past and was very pleased. Seems like they have changed hands now and their service isn't what it used to be.

A friend told me not to buy from TyTy in the 90's, so I don't know if they changed hands or not, but they sure haven't had a good reputation for a long time.

• tuanh

i was looking for "agave medio picta alba" and tyty price was outrageous! i bought in ebay for $12+ $8 S/H ,for awsome plant i have received.

• vancleaveterry

The pictures in the online TyTy catalog are soooo weird! I was thinking of ordering some yellow Japanese magnolias from them, but thinking twice now. Is Wayside reputable?

• pecanmom66

Just found this thread and I checked out Ty Ty's website!!

I am furious for the people who they have cheated and the people who they will cheat in the future!!!!!

I am in the pecan business and they have listed EXTREMELY bad information on pecan trees!!!!!!

They are trying to sell Desirable pecan trees and not everyone can grow Desirables because you have to spray them so much for Scab (a fungus). Even alot of the big pecan growers don't plant Desirables anymore because they spend so much money spraying them. And they talked about a 'Hardy' pecan, and there is no such variety that I have ever heard of.

My advise is on most of the things that TyTy sells, is to look for nurseries that specialize in the type of plant you want.

We are in the pecan business so we specialize in pecans and pecan trees, so we don't sell peach trees or apple trees, etc...

Always consult an expert or call your local extension agent and they can give you good advice on who to buy from.

And PLEASE, don't think that other folks from GA act this way!!!!!!

• sugarhill

Wayside is reputable. Sometimes overpriced, but reputable.

• krazyaroider

Hello~
    Wayside is way overpriced as I often google what I looking for and often find other nurseries. I then go to garden watchdog to find their rating.
    Wayside also has a "nice" tendency to top their trees to the point where it takes time to retrain the growth habit. This happened to a Ruby Red Horse Chestnut, I ordered from them several years ago.
    I recently googled for the Tennessee Mountain Fig. I got TyTy and I knew they were not spoken highly of and I was wondering why Garden Watch Dog did not list them!
    I found the fig from a smaller mailorder nursery in Tennessee. TyTy has some wierd explanation for the products they sell - IMMEDIATE WARNING BELLS WENT OFF! I will not buy from them, simply by looking at their website as it says what you want to read...
    That is a shame for newcomers to gardening.
    Research what you want to purchase as the educated consumer is the the best consumer and advertising for reputable businesses!
    IMO ~ TyTy is a JOKE...
    KA

• kandee

This nursery is definitely deceiving! I went to the website and it looks like they have a large stock of plants and good quality...well my husband and I happen to be driving back from Florida and it was on the way, so before ordering from them my husband suggested we stop by and see their inventory. IT IS A JOKE! We got to the nursery and their inventory is very small and everything on their property look dead, dying or diseased. After being their for all of 2 minutes we got back in the car and continued our drive. I would never order from a place like this after actually seeing it in person. Take all the previous advice and DO NOT order from TyTy Nursery

• wabikeguy

Orderded 7 fig trees from AArons in Georgia (tye tye), Jan 3 08 for a March 22 delivery. Paid in advance. $148. March 22 came and went. No trees.

I've since called back 6 times. I have been told that they were "waiting for gel packs to ship their order and that it would be shipped "tromorrow", that they could not find my order (three times), that they found my order "on the desk" under another order" and that it would be shipped "immediately"."

Today, April 16, it's "we can't find the order and are checking our files." They will call me back. Uh Huh......

From what I've read, even if they do actually ship something I shouldn't expect much.

I'm writing this one off as a lesson learned.

• neonrider

I bought four (4) one year old MEDJOOL DATE PALM TREES from TY TY NURSERY in DEC. 2006. What arrived were not so healthy looking plants, wrapped in paper, not in pots, definitely not Medjool loking palms (I only realised that now!). No promised planting instructions nor planting guide. I saw how MEDJOOL palms 1 year olds look, nothing like the ones they sent me! Even more: the "Order Form" is cut off roughly with a knife or dull scissors right under the GUARANTEE, so I can ee there was signature which is cut off. No register receipt was provided even after I asked them. I forgot to call them again, was busy. This is 1,5 year later. This is not just getting my money back, but wasting 1,5 years growing WRONG PALMS! Please check the attached link and please HELP identify the real Medjools.

Here is a link that might be useful: Are these Medjool Date Palms?

• neonrider

I just had two different nursery specialists come see my "medjools" (purchased from Ty Ty Nursery as "Phoenix Dactylifera", see the above or below link) and everyone identified them as PINDO PALM (Butia capitata). It is not a "medjool" and it is not even a date palm, it does not grow in Morocco or Arizona, but it is originally from Argentina and is much cheaper than Phoenix dactylifera. Now I can state with confidence that I got scammed by TY TY nursery in Georgia.

Here is a link that might be useful: These are PINDO PALMS (Butia capitata)

• jqpublic

Those pictures are definitely weird. I mean I know sex sells, but I don't think it will work so much with the gardening crowd. lol! I hate TyTy!

• wabikeguy

I attempted to purchase seven fig trees from Ty Ty Nursery on January 3. I paid in advence with a debit card. They failed to ship and they refused to refund my money.

On May 23, I finally received a full refund from Ty Ty (aka "Arrons" aka "The Nursery at Ty Ty") with numerous other DBA's.
    For those of you unfortunate enough to do business with these people........here's what I did.

After 8 or 9 attempts to work with them on my own, I contacted the Georgia Better Business Bureau. This was a complete waste of time.

The Nursery owner, Patrick Malcolm, told the BBB that he sent me a refund and the BBB closed out my case. Only problem was........he never sent the check.

I next contacted the Georgia Dpt of Consumer Affairs. Nelson Mitchell handled my case and, within four weeks, I received my refund. Funny thing though. The check was dated April 28, 2008, but the envelope it was contained in was postmarked 19 May, 2008.

I would highly recommend that anyone having difficulty with this "nursery" (and I use the term loosely) contact the Georgia Office of Consumer Affairs like I did. I have included their address and phone number below:

Governor's Office of Consumer Affairs
    2 Martin Luther King Jr., Drive SE, Suite 356
    Atlanta, Georgia 30334-4600

Phone: 404-651-8600

• old_man_by_the_sea

I would urge anyone that has been deceived and ripped-off by this gang of thieves, to file a report with the Georgia Governor's Office of Consumer Complaints.
    That is the only way Patrick Malcolm will get the message, to either operate an honest business or close it down.
    The link below explains the Complaint proceedure and has a clickable link to the necessary form.
    Don't give up and count your losses, be very aggressive and help yourself and your fellow gardener's to rid this state and this planet of a long-standing abomination.
    My2¢

Here is a link that might be useful: General Consumer Complaint Process

• organic_kitten

Wow! I am so glad that I saw this thread. I almost ordered fringe trees from them, but ordered from Park instead. The trees were beautifully packed, taller than the website said they would be, and so healthy! No TyTy for me

• gonebananas_gw

The "cool smoker" is still there. Selling "Briteblue" blueberries.

• tomatozilla

Wow am I glad I sought and found this thread! I wanted something TyTy claimed to have and was really weirded out like jqpublic by all the slimey photos of of Vanna wannabees with the plants when we come there to buy PLANTS! Thanks senior sufferers for preventing my becoming embroiled in purchasing misery! Also I chorus complaints about Wayside. I purchased a Verbascum "carribean crush" which features several dayglo color flowers on each stalk (like pink, orange, yellow etc. all on one) and got something that was a uniform washed out blood stain all flowers, sent a complaint letter with photo and was ignored. Three years later they still advertize with the same misleading photo.

• RPNalan_Gmail_com

I just recently placed a order from TYTY and I still have not received anything. I called them and they said they would credit my card back but still never have. I am in the process of waiting for VISA to finish their dispute with TYTY for a refund. I will never order anything from them. I suggest you do the same DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING FROM TYTY NURSERY!!! They are ripoffs!!

• pjoking

Last year I ordered 4 Muscadine/scuppernong plants, a raspberry and a grape vine and all are dead. When they arrived only 2 were tagged so i had to guess which were which. When none of them grew I contacted the company and was told to fill out a replacement form and send back to them at the end of the season. well I marked my calender and did so. then I was told to wait and the replacements would be shipped out at the beginning of next season march/april time frame. I called 3 weeks ago and they told me my order was shipped the previous day (after being on hold for 10 mins). I called back this morning and advised then that nothing arrived and was put on hold for 18 min until they finally picked up and hung up on me. I promptly called back and the snotty guy who answered told me that he couldn't tell me anything until 4pm when the shipping people come in. I am pissed. these plants were not cheap and now I am out $130+ this company needs to return our money then go away! PLEASE DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING FROM TYTY

• ladywindsurfer

File a complaint with the (Georgia) Governor's Office of Consumer Affairs. You will get the plants you ordered or your money refunded.
    They, unlike the BBB, have enforcement powers and can levy hefty fines for consumer fraud.
    Link below.
    Don't hesitate or wait another day.
    If you decide to again call rip-off city, TyTy, GA, begin the conversation with the statement that you are filing a complaint with the aforementioned office. Guaranteed to get their attention.

Here is a link that might be useful: GA OCA

• robgooch

i just recieved a kalamata olive tree from these people. (at least that's what i ordered) i was just about to call them for planting/care instructions then i found this review. obvously i am not going to call them or order from them in the future but can anyone help me with the best way to plant this tree or point me in the direction for sound advise

thanks
    rob

• jay_7bsc

I hope you're aware that olives require a Mediterranean climate.

• lucky_p

Well, the TyTy YouTube videos are just as weird and disturbing as the still photos in the magazine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Banana Tree Maniac @ TyTy

• danapril2

Hey I just wanted to let you guys know that I really appreciate your quality products. My last shipment is thriving - all six blueberry plants are already developing strongly and the two plum trees are starting to bud. Thanks for fast shipment and great quality!
    CDR Dan Rader

• ranger77_theliechtys_com

Thanks to everyone. Your comments just saved me a ton of money and a lot of headache.

I switched my order to Stark Brothers of MO.

• FrankieGreenThumb

I must warn anyone who is considering buying from Ty Ty Nurseries in GA. to not do so. They are dishonest and will not honor thier guarantee... At least they did not honor the guarantee in my case.
    My story... I ordered several bare root trees from them 3 years ago. The order arrived with only 3 of the 5 trees ordered. When I complained they promised to send replacements.... which the did. However, the replacements were only 4 feet tall and I had ordered the 9 foot plus trees. They would not budge on this and told me that our business was done.
    Further more, only one of the trees from TyTy actually survived and grew. I have lost less than 5 percent of all past bare root plantings from other nurseries but lost 80% of the Ty Ty delivery. When I asked for replacements as per thier 1 year guarantee they told me that they would have to inspect the trees themselves and that I would have to ship them! Unbelievable! The nerve of those people!
    I was visiting my father a few weeks later who lives 3 hours away from the Ty Ty nursery so I took the trees with me to my fathers and made the 3 hour drive to Ty Ty myself so that I could look the culprits in the eye when they tried to rip me off again. While I was there they examined the trees and promised to ship the replacements for free that fall.
    It has been two years since that meeting and they have not replaced the trees nor will they answer my calls or emails.

DO NOT TRUST THEM! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY! SPREAD THE WORD!

Ty Ty is not to be trusted!

• Gedcom

I wish, like many, I had done a little more research. My dear husband called up TyTy and ordered a 6-7' Peter's Honey Fig...and he was told it should do fine in our area. It was promptly charged to our account. It would be shipped later since Spring was coming and they do not ship trees that are leafed. That Fall--no tree even though when called, they said it would be shipped soon. Middle of winter--still no tree. After several calls, we were told to wait for better weather in our area. After a year, and still no tree, we were told we never had an order. I waded through over a year's worth of charges to find TyTy, my husband searched for Emails over a year old...and only upon a very nasty phone call did our tree get shipped. The top was cut to fit the 5'x8" UPS shipping box (UPS charges extra for anything over 5'). So much for our 6-7 foot tree. The roots were cut badly for transporting. The poor thing struggled the next year because of the root damage, but we did managed to get it to grow. However, because of the weakened state, it did not winter over. Now, TyTy has a rider saying they will not guarantee anything out of zone, and they list Peter's Fig out of our zone--EVEN THOUGH the man said it should do well. Plus, they want us to pay for freight both ways???? for a fig they will top off and ship in a small box??? How will a 6-7 foot tree live with 8" of root. NEVER, ever order from TyTy.

• Melisandes

Wow I am in shock Ty Ty has not been shut down after all these years. I knew they were scam artists for a while. At least 7 years.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Please read Lucky's post near the top of this informative thread so that you know all of the other scam businesses that are operated by this same outfit.

• Marcus-A-Toole

Wow, sorry to hear all of this about Ty Ty Nursery. But glad I did before I bought something. But as I think about it, their website is over the top with pretty videos but little information.

I'm moving back to Statesboro Georgia my childhood home from Canada in a few weeks and will hopefully be planting a home nursery. Can anyone recommend good reliable nursuries in the area for buying fruit trees? I'm especially interested in plums, figs, pears and apples. Thanks

• gonebananas_gw

Among nearby mail order nurseries (a bit far to drive) I've had good luck with:

Just Fruits and Exotics in NW Florida

Johnson's Nursery in the mountains of GA, but make sure you pick selections for the lowlands.

Ison's, in southern GA sent great muscadines and perfectly fine pears to me long ago, but I may have read a little negative take more recently, so double check.

Check Dave's Garden Watchdog site.

• kellyhughes

Are the still seriously in business? I have read about TyTy for YEARS and can't believe they aren't shut down! WOW!!!!

• rhapsody616

We need to add Growquest to the list of BAD nursery... really bad!

• kristin44774

I ordered PawPaw trees, they did not live. I called in May, I was assured that the plants would show some life around the end of June. It did not happen. I saw that the plants had to be given until at least August to have a chance. It did not happen. These were a gift to a friend. Very embarrassing running summer joke. Beautiful flower garden with 2 dead sticks standing in the middle, all summer.

TyTy policy for returns have alot of "loopholes." Mail request for only about a month starting Sept. 1st. Have original reciept, what day did it arrive at my house, etc. What difference does it make? Have computers? If request is approved, then mail plants to another address, cant be in more than one piece, will examine. blah blah. I called and asked TyTy if I could just mail the dead trees, if there is a chance you are going to stand behind the plants. I do not feel TyTy will honor the guarantee after wasting my time & energy, if they have all these conditions to replacement. I was told by TyTy when I called that they would not replace unless everything was as outlined. I have a box that is tall & skinny, but the trees were a couple inches longer, I broke them off. The one dead (through & through) tree was broke and laying there when I visited my friend. It was broken off by a mouse or wind from being dead standing in the ground waiting for so long. Theres no doubt it is/was dead. Even an amateur can tell if trees not in one piece.
    I have never seen such nonsense. I buy alot of plants.

I sure wish I had seen all the complaints before I ordered!

• GraceNmercy

Wow...I'm glad I found this as well. I was about to order several Paw paws, American and Chinkapin chestnuts to plant on our place in east TX to attract wildlife. I just looked at the site again and how weird it was and decided to do a little more research. Does anyone know of a good place to order American, Dunstan and Alleghany Chinkapin chestnut trees? I want a native nuts, but a least 3 varieties including a hybrid cross in case of blight. I found this site...www.empirechestnut.com. Does anyone know anything about them?
    Thanks...

• GraceNmercy

Does anyone know anything about Chief River Nursery?

• GraceNmercy

• anniemccants

Please tell me I didn't waste my money. Last night I ordered 100.00 worth of plants from TYTY, 2 banana plants and 4 blackberry plants. I received a confirmation email with a few minutes of placing my order. Then, today I found this website. I am totally new to gardening. I found the videos on the TYTY website funny, but didn't think it was a ripoff. I will repost if and when I get my order. I guess I should have used ISON's Nursery that was recommended to me. :(

• jolj

I use "Pedals from the Past" in AL>

I have read 3 threads on Gardenweb about these people & a thread on another site.

Aaron came on one thread & said he had NOTHING to do with TyTy.

• Prabu Gopalakrishnan

haha, they threatend to subpoena me on youtube when I complained about the diseased plants they sent me. They are rip off scam artist that somehow is still in business. Stay Away from them like the plague, and post reviews everywhere. They may spend all there money on fancy lawyers but none on there plants. They can there name removed from watchdog site, but they cant do it to all other sites like yelp, ripoffreport, etc.

• smithnenursery

there is a nursery in TyTy that is great! they don't advertise but are growers and have awsome reviews and products. www.facebook.com/NoalEssiesNursery www.noalessiesnursery.com

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC

just happened to notice that your user id is smithNENursery? And the link says it is broken.

GardenDude

I ordered 2 Pindo Palms, a Needle Palm, and a Saw Palmetto from them for here in Virginia. When I got the palms they were half dead and the saw Palmetto died right after being planted in the spring. The other palms are alive but not doing their best.

• Carson Buckingham

dsteer--Buy from Stark Bros. Best plants and trees. I have been purchasing from Stark Bros. for years and have only lost one plant, which they promptly replaced without a problem. You pay a little more, but the plants are in great shape, and they back what they sell, and are very pleasant to deal with. Highly recommend them.