Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_739281

CD-ROMs that you can hear correct latin pronunciation of words.

I was hoping someone would know of a source that carried a pronunciation guide that I could look up the name and then listen to its correct latin pronunciation.Something like a verbal Advantage for saying plant names.I am somewhat familiar with the Horticopia CD sets but I think they are like $500 with alot of information that I already have in reference books.I really just want it for its pronunciation guide. Anyone know of any sources.Something in the range of $100 or less.Thanks Jim.

Comments (6)

• Brenda - 5 - WV
    23 years ago

I have one I bought at Staples for less than $20. Actually I loaned it to my sister and will have to call her to get the name of it. : )

I didn't realize it had the pronunciation on it until I installed it. It's great!!

Will get back to you with the name of it.

Brenda

• Brenda - 5 - WV
    23 years ago

I finally caught my sister in and asked her for the name. it is from Sierra Home and the program is 'Garden Encyclopedia' (s)

I think Amazon has it or one of the book sites should.

Brenda

• charels - 6a conn usa
    23 years ago

you really hit the nail on teh head with that question, because there are two systems of pronunciation taught: ecclesial LAtin and "scholastic" (actually German). Ecclesial LAtin is the way Latin was pronounced in the Church for two thousand years or so without a break; scholastic Latin is the way some German scholars pronounced it. So that rather than the v sound as we pronounce it in English and the way the Church pronounces it, they would change it to the Germanic w sound, which doesn't really exist in Latin. SO the famous statement by Caesar that they came, they saw and they conquered, becomes what falls on Church speakers' ears as the laughable "Weni, Widi, Weekee"

Is that more information than you really wanted? Then go to a courthouse and listen to the massacre of LAtin pronounciation there. When they adjourn without a new courtdate, they say in Latin "SINE DIE (without a date)" which is pronounced "seenay dee-aye", but which the lawyers and judges read as "sign die", but then lawyers and judges are gods.

it's easy:
    pronounce
    the letter a like ah as in father (Pater)
    the letter e like a long a, as in bake (veni)
    the letter i like a long e, as in see (vidi)
    the letter o like a long o, as in oh (Noster)
    the letter u like a long oo as in loon (uva)
    there is no y, w, k. THe q is always followed by a u and pronounced kw as in quo. THe c is the most irregular,as it is for the church pronounciation soft in front of the i and e, as in civitatis (which word the Germans really mess up!)
    All other consonants are as written. Just take each word one syllable at a time by these simple rules. Keep it simple.

• Violet_Z6
    21 years ago

Jim,

You may find some sources you can use here:

Botanical Pronounciations and References

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    21 years ago

Merriam-Webster at m-w.com has a free downloadable audio pronunciation which has many of the names we want in everyday life; I just checked and opuntia and bougainvillea are there.

It is a simple download as I recall, and easy to run e.g. just click and copy here, paste there and click the audio icon.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have been using translate.google.com lately for almost all pronunciation problems. They have Latin pronunciations. I've no way of knowing how good they are. Latin bougainvillea sounds a lot like the French and English but the Vietnamese sounds like they struggle with it. Their Arabic just sounds like an error.

Firefox has an add-on that will take my word there with three left clicks, no copy/past stuff. I use a PC.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions