Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_justin

Need Help with Kitchen remodel that has garage door entry, corner sink and dining door entry

Mary Grant Justin
11 years ago
Hi, I'm trying to figure out the best way to utilize the space I have. Because of the 2 doors it is broken up in such a way I can't use the whole wall on 2 sides. I'm attaching pictures along with a rough sketch of what each wall measures. The current kitchen island is only 44" X 24". The red door comes in from garage and the other open door going into formal dining are which is now my office. Some of the things on my wish list would be a 36" cooktop, built in oven, built in microwave, hood and more work space. :-) Thank you for any advice you are able to share.

Comments (9)

• TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    I like your corner sink & windows on either side. Do U really need an entirely new kitchen? R U keeping the flooring? some comments on this kitchen: I like the refrig to be flush with the cabinets & the same finish (stainless or white or black) as the other appliances. The kitchen is a little small for a large island, keep the small island or eliminate completely. Paint garage door same as other trim, garage door should not be a focal point and competes with beautiful red hutch. You have too many good ideas for decor and need to edit so the items on display can be more appreciated. The eyes need plain surfaces to rest. Idea: leave items on sloped high wall, remove/retire/store & use at a later time most of the other items. Use hutch for some additional items. Remove floral pillows from chairs.
    Here are many ideas for kitchens with corner sinks https://www.houzz.com/products/products-pcat-br~

Pretty kitchen with corner sink/windows:
    Kitchen · More Info
  • Mary Grant Justin
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi j222b, No, I don't really need an entire new kitchen. But a couple of things. I'm only going to do this once and husband will be retiring next year so this is my chance to make any changes. I'm just trying to update cabinets with slide outs which I think will be easier as I'm getting older (as much as I hate to admit it) And as he said "some trick things". Thank you for your suggestions. I love the picture you sent as it looks a lot like I already have but more modern. I'm not too tall so I would like to have the microwave a little lower and not over the cooktop/range. Yes we will be replacing the pavers which is in the kitchen/family room/hall/bathroom. It served it purpose when I had 5 golden retrievers, 4 cats living in the house. We are now down to 2 goldens and 1 elderly cat. I love the look of wood floors but my dogs at time will come into the house after swimming in the pool and drip dry. LOL
  • PRO
    PoshHaus
    11 years ago
    Great starting point for the project! Were you thinking of painting the cabinets, and updating the countertops as well? Cannot wait to follow this thread...
  • Mary Grant Justin
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Just realized there were quite a few pictures to look at. Thank you!
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    Slide outs won't help a basic problem that most of us have: clutter. De-clutter the items inside the cabinets. Keep what you use frequently and donate unused and duplicates. Fewer items = are easier to reach and maintain. If you can find a lower place (island, counter) for the microwave a fan over range will be nice. I'd d very little to this kitchen & I'd keep the pavers, too. Maybe take a trip with the $$ saved?
    The Helenas 1 · More Info
  • Mary Grant Justin
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    PoshHaus, Yes, I was looking at replacing all the cabinets and countertops which are 35 years old. I painted them years ago but they now need replacement. Plus I would really like knobs! The pavers in order for them to look like I like them, I have to literally get down on my hands and knees scrub the grout lines then rub a polish on them. Sort of like how you wax a car. Little area by little area. I'm tooooo old to do this any longer. My knees, back and pretty much every muscle in my body screams at me if I do. I would like to have a tile on the floor that has a grout line you can hardly see. As far as the kitchen counters, my husband and I are at odds on that. He doesn't necessarily like the look of granite but I'm sure if we found something with a lot of character he would look at it. Or tile to coordinate with the floor. We need something that you can put a hot pot on if necessary as this does happen on occasion. We are willing to put the money into this kitchen and would like it to be timeless in looks. Thanks!
  • Mary Grant Justin
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes, j222b. I'm in the process of cutting down the clutter. All throughout my house. It's tough to do though.... The question always comes up. What if I need this down the road...
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    De-cluttering is very tough. Nothing tougher. Sometimes I put stuff in a box in the garage and wait a year. Sometimes I put a price on it and if it can be replaced for $xx.xx, I am more willing to let go.
Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES