Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rainydaywoman_z8

What Have You Planted That You Really Wish You Hadn't?

rainydaywoman_z8
12 years ago

A few years ago I got really carried with my tropicalesque garden, figuring that for any leaf, bigger was better, and if the label said "invasive" that meant it would cover my bare spots. So now I have petasites everywhere; I can't stop them; they are taking over. Beware before ever planting a petasite! So what have you planted that you now regret?

Comments (10)

• tony_o
    12 years ago

Been looking for some, but can't find any petasites. Where can I get some starts? I have just the spot for them.

I like almost any plant, so it's a hard question to answer. I guess the worst plant I planted would be hardy perennial Hi Biscuss. Not bad at first, beautiful when they flowered. I was gone on the road for a few years and they self seeded everywhere. Needed a pick-ax to remove the unwanted ones from the garden and grass. (To big to mow down too.) Then they started coming up from the severed roots. I did keep a few, but watch them closely and keep them under control now.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I would say variegated vincas would definitely be the most invasive plant I have ever planted, but I dont regret planting it because its a nice evergreen that is in a limited amount of space, so it wont take over my entire yard like it has the potential to!
    They bloom in January sometimes and always bloom in the Spring! The Foliage looks its best in spring, summer, and fall, but it looks good in winters that dont get a lot of snow.
    -Alex

• crispy_z7
    12 years ago

I can't think of anything I ever planted that I didn't want, however, there are some planting LOCATIONS that I wished I had thought about more.
    For instance, I have numerous edible plants, trees, vine fruits, etc. near my house, but I planted a Carolina Jessamine vine near the house, only later to find out it is quite poisonous. I finally dug it up and moved it further out.

I've gotten to the point that I always try to picture any perennial as how it may look 5-10 years down the road. (too close to house? Invasive? health risk? ect)

• gastone21 (z7a VA)
    6 years ago

tetrapanax papyrifer. Put it in 5 years ago or so. Was warned at them time that it can get out of hand if not contained. The first couple of summers it was neat, but it can spread a good long distance. I chopped down a trunk of at least 6" in diameter this past spring and probably pulled up a few hundred sprouts during the summer. I pulled another two today, but they are certainly few and far between these daya. They are impressive, and they must have been happy as the past couple of winters they hadn't died down to the ground, which meant that by July 1st I had 12' tall monsters in my yard, well ahead of the naners and ee's.

• poaky1
    6 years ago

Wow gastrone21, my websearch says it's zone 7b, but dies down to the ground in colder places. I would've never thought it would grow, especially not be invasive in azone 7a place. I was thinking of trying it, but, it's way too tender for my area, thank goodness.....

• gastone21 (z7a VA)
    6 years ago

You can always give it a shot and see what happens. Mine was planted on the NE side, right up against the house so it had good winter protection from the elements. Received good morning sun till about noon, then bright shade. The bed has been build up to about 12-18" above grade over the years. I think it died down to the ground the first year but came back from the roots. Each subsequent year the trunks have all survived. It definitely gives off the tropical vibe, but I grew tired of pulling it. I just hacked pulled some yesterday. If you want to give it a go, lemme know and the next time I pull some I'll send it your way for shipping.

Garrett.

• poaky1
    6 years ago

I'm thinking maybe I should'nt plant it. If it's your nightmare plant, maybe I should learn from your experience. Thanks for offering gastone21. I can't be sure it would be less invasive here as far as the roots. I am not sure i could keep it in check.

• shane11
    6 years ago

Bamboo - the running types such as Indocalamus and Phyllostachys. The worst things I have ever planted. While they are beautiful and very tropical looking they can take over territory very fast, seemingly overnight. The only way to ever plant these in my opinion (if you must) is either in a container that is placed on pavement or use one of the recommended in ground barriers and keep a close eye.

• poaky1
    6 years ago

I'm glad I planted a clumping bamboo, I even bought barrier, but, I may just plant a clumper in the barrier. I was so sure I would go ahead and plant a running bamboo, I got the barrier, but, I'm still chicken to plant a runner, I see I was smart not to. My clumper has a few culms that are pretty thick, and even with a zone 6 hardy running bamboo, I may not get very thick culmns in my hardiness zone.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living