Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikeandbarb_gw

What do you use on your lawn for fleas?

mikeandbarb
16 years ago

Have some coffee grounds but haven't gotten around to spreading it yet. I here it's good for fire ants and maybe fleas?

Our dog's beds have ceder in them for fleas. I had the bright or not so bright idea it would work in the lawn?

I don't know if the cost would benefit the purpose?

Reason I ask is because I stopped using the vet meds at 89.00 bucks per dog for 6 months and it leaves their coat all yucky. It use to not but last year they had an awful flaking where I use the stuff.

I was told by a lady I met at walmart to use lemon on them. Making a spray and I guess you'd have to spray them daily.

Lemon joy sprayed on the lawn only last for a short time but it does work on fire ants.

Comments (9)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

Look into beneficial nematodes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beneficial nematodes

• clipetyclop
    16 years ago

I dont know how you can survive fleas in TX with coffee beans and lemons. Let me know how that goes though- after my first summer in TX I was shocked at the awful flea problem last summer. I had to resort to Revolution for my cats. Now that I will be getting a puppy in a few weeks- I will have to get him/her started on it too. Once fleas get into the house they are so difficult to eliminate.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

It was a constant battle against the fleas before Revolution type treatments became common, and I was surprised that nematodes, applied to ground where the dogs like to lay, really did a good job. There are different kinds of nematodes so when buying specify what you are using them for.

I remember there was some sort of hormone product to spray in the house that was good too. It prevented the hatchling fleas from maturing.

• txapple
    15 years ago

Seems to be no universal solution to controlling fleas and mosquitoes. We have tried alot of different things (ie lemon detergent for mosquitoes, bought a Mosquito Magnet, nemotodes, applied cedar to yard). We have recently heard that lime applied to yard will work for killing fleas. What kind of lime should we use? Has anyone else tried this? Any help would be appreciated. (Source of fleas is from next door neighbor's yard)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    15 years ago

We use beneficial nematodes on our yard, we apply twice a year, it controls fleas, ticks, and ants. Coffee gounds do not help me control ants. I have read the post saying it does, but it has never helped me, I use a lot of coffee grounds, in my flowerbeds, I get 20 lbs a week from Starbucks, and I still have ants. My biggest problem are grubs, the beneficial nematodes will take care of them, but not as fast as I want them to. I can see where the grubs get sick and come to the surface, to die, but it is a slow process, and the moles tear up my yard in the meantime. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    15 years ago

Lovek9, next time they get in your house, just put banana peels under all your furniture, it gets rid of them. I do not know how it works. I read it in Dear Abby, about 30 years ago, when our cat brought flees into our house, and have been doing it every since. Works like a champ. Barbra

• bandit_tx
    15 years ago

Archer Insect Growth Regulator, the only one that is stable when used outdoors in sunlight. Can be mixed with an insecticide if need be. Lasts all summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Archer label

• rosebud98
    15 years ago

Things Needed

- Diatomaceous Earth
    - Throwaway breathing mask

Buy diatomaceous earth, found at any organic gardening shop and few home improvement stores. It is essential to ensure the bag is not designed labeled for swimming pools. It must be agricultural or food grade. Its price should be about $10. Diatomaceous earth is prepared from fossilized microscopic shells and is found naturally.

Here is a link that might be useful: Get Rid of Fleas Naturally