Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denisew03

Dragonfly flicking water in my pond

denisew
16 years ago

I saw what I am assuming was a female dragonfly hovering over the surface of my pond dipping her tail into the water and flicking water. Again - an assumption here - but I figured she was laying eggs. Anyone else ever witness this? We do have a gentle waterfall to keep the water flowing, but I suppose the water is still enough around the edges that make a good habitat for dragonfly larvae.

Comments (10)

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

You would know Ms Jolana! LOL! That is very cool! PJ

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

Dragonfly larvae help with mosquito control. They eat mosquito larvae.

Sally

• denisew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, I know how the dragonflies and their larvae like to eat mosquitoes and am glad she laid her eggs. I figured with about 13 goldfish and the moving water, I wouldn't be likely to have mosquitoes in the pond. I have not seen them anymore now that we have our pond than before we we installed it. I'm generally careful about emptying my birdbath to keep that from becoming a breeding ground too.

I really did enjoy watching her lay her eggs. That was a first for me to see this. She was flicking drops of water at least 12 inches across the surface. The whole time she was doing this, another dragonfly - assuming this was the male sat on one of my plants and watched. This one was bright blue - just beautiful! I have also seen a vibrant red dragonfly buzzing around too, but the blue one has claimed his territory.

• newtotheyard
    16 years ago

I'm almost afraid to post this, because I've read enough on this forum to know y'all can take topics in amazing directions, but...

Most male dragonflies will hover or actually stay on top of the female while she "oviposits" (lays eggs), because in many species another male can come along after the first one and--how shall I say this--scoop out any evidence the first one has been there and then claim her for his own. They are quite amazing.

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

They really are so beautiful - at least as pretty if not prettier than butterflies. I saw something today that looked like a very small dragonfly, a little bigger (longer) than a house fly, but definately shaped like a dragonfly. It had a black body and wings but a red head. I have no idea what it was, but I hoped it might have been a 1st instar of a dragonfly, if they have instars, that is. Maybe it was a small species of dragonfly. Nevertheless, it was quite interesting.

Denise, I didn't mean for my earlier post to be as terse as it was - I was in a hurry. Re-reading it now it looks so "just the facts ma-am-ish." I actually was smiling when I posted it, thinking of your dragonfly.

Sally

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

Oh ladies, just wait until you see the nymphs! They will definitely make you drop whatever you pulled from the pond that they are hanging on.

Pam

Here is a link that might be useful: Bug Guide picture

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

Awwwww, it's so cute, just look at those itty bitty wings!

Sally

• sschwads
    4 years ago

i wonder if my koi will eat the eggs our the lava

• buttoni_8b
    4 years ago

I have this dragonfly (I almost think it's the same one all the time) that visits the Sedum "Blue spruce) in a pedestal pot outside my livingroom window around 3-4pm everyday. He lands there and just sits, and sits, and sits. Sometimes another one comes along and sits on an adjacent plant, but usually it's just this one guy on the sedum. His body is all black, wings are clear with black edging on them. Very pretty.