xtal_gw

Anyone growing rare pink Pride of Barbados?

Wanting to plant 3 of these, but if they don't do well in Central Texas, then I need to rethink my plans.

So, what experience with this variety have any of you had?

Xtal

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Well Plantmaven Kathy -- you are the only one I know that still has one from the many seeds some of us planted! Tammy introduced it to me and shared some of the seeds she ordered. Barbra too. We'll be looking to you to tell us about the blooms next year :-)

Wally, can you take some pictures of the one in your neighbor's yard?

Top Answer
  • wally_1936

I don't know about your area, but my neighbor has one in his backyard that is over 10' tall and about as wide. It came through our freeze from last winter. Have you checked with your extension agent?
    Paul

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b

Paul,
    Thank you for your dimensions on it and for suggesting the local Ag agent. Good idea. The one there sounds healthy, so I'm betting that we can grow it here without any problem, too.

Thx!
    Xtal

• lavernialadybug

I have 1 and it waits until late October to start blooming, which means the only way I can have more plants is to propogate them. I wish it would bloom earlier so I could harvest seeds prior to the 1st freeze.

• wally_1936

Why don't you try cuttings? I would think it would produce roots just setting in water in the shade during the warm seasons.

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b

Wally,

Seeds that were ordered have arrived. But, I've never seen one growing here. I'm sure cuttings would work, but since I've got seeds, I'll use them. I'm just wondering if the pink variety puts out an equally large bloom as the orange one does.

Any idea?
    Xtal

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Hi Xtal! Below is a thread about Pride of Barbados surviving last winter. Pink Prides are mentioned in the thread also.

I've never seen a bloom on the pink ones, but from the photos they appear to be as large as the red/orange ones.

There used to be a thread about them on the Florida forum, but it must have fallen off the bottom. They were not having much success with them either.

I have some seeds for the pink and also for the pure yellow and cream colors that Barbra gave me so I'm going to try again next spring.

Xtal, I'd suggest that you wait for the warm weather of spring to sow the seeds. I sowed seeds in the fall one year and tried to keep them going on a sunny window sill, but they all languished and finally died. They seem to want very warm soil for their roots to get going. Even the red/orange ones don't emerge until late in spring. But if someone had a very warm greenhouse and a way to provide bottom heat they might do okay.

Keep us posted on how yours are doing after you sow them. I wish us all luck with them next year. They sure are pretty!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pride of Barbados survive?

• beachplant

There were at least 2 on the island before the hurricane, non survived. The guy on 14th had one a few years ago, about 6' tall but it just up and died one day. I've tried the pink a couple of times, and I have several others, the pink has never done well. It does not seem to be as vigorous as the orange/yellow varieties. There is a pink one waiting on me to stick it in the ground now. I got it at a feed store in Clear Lake.

Wait till spring to sow the seeds, soak them overnight. This is not a plant that does well overwinter in pots, none of them seem to. I've tried over the years with the orange/yellow ones thinking I could start them and then have them for spring trades. Few ever make it through the winter in pots, I can plant the seedlings, they go dormant and do fine, but in pots? Nothing has worked.
    Good luck!
    Tally HO!

• plantmaven

I have a pink one that Roselee gave me at some point. It is now about 10 " tall.

We had a man close in part of the patio to make a "green room" It is now in there with christmas lights to warm the plants when needed.

• kimivu

Hi.. I would like to buy a pink Pride of Barbados if anyone have a plant in the central Tx or San Antonio area or know a nursery that is selling them. Apparently Rainbow Gardens is out of stock.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas

I saw that Rainbow Gardens was selling the pink Pride of Barbados. If anyone reads this thread from the beginning you'll see that none of us that tried growing them from seed several years back had any luck keeping them going.

On another thread I talked about getting four pink P of B plants thigh high, but though mulched well they did not survive the winter. The same year I kept several in pots in the green house and they didn't make it either.

I'm not sure, but perhaps the one person that said his neighbor had one ten ft tall was talking about the now common orange/red one.

The San Antonio Botanical Gardens had the pink and the solid yellow ones growing about the same time several of us were trying them. They were not growing as vigorously as their orange/red P of B. I noticed they were not there the next year.

Has anyone see them growing and flowering ... anywhere???

When l first saw the pink one on the internet, l really wanted it. Very badly. Since then, l’ve come to appreciate the standard orange/yellow with much greater appreciation - mainly because l can see working other colors into the landscaping palette with the first thoughts being orange and yellow (and obviously tones/shades in between).

My Texas Lantana taught me to love the color orange this year with its oranges and yellows. Obviously just personal preference. Since thee , l’ve chosen other oranges that l’ve since added. Just my opinion.

Loudoun County's High-End Remodeling Firm - Best of Houzz 2016-2020