Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clouts69_gw

Need information on oak dresser

clouts69
16 years ago

Hi,

I am looking to purchase an oak dresser and this is what I know:

It has a sticker with this information on it, The Favorite Line, Milford, NH Boston, MA, F&H trademark, and it is a 6 drawer quartersawn oak dresser, which measures, 46.5"x31.75."

Does anyone have any information on this company and if $275 is a reasonable cost? The condition is fairly good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to dresser in question

Comments (7)

• daesaflgatorfan
    16 years ago

I would pay that amount, but only because it is worth it, in my opinion. As to it's true value, I can only offer what I've been told: It's worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it, basically.

However, it is tiger oak, (Veneer? I'm not sure. If so, it's in pretty good condition), and for a comparably sized chest of drawers, a good bargain, definitely. I'd buy it.

• lindac
    16 years ago

I would like to see a picture of inside the drawer and a picture of the back...and the top has some issues....appears to be water stained which may or may not come out.
    I'm a cheap skate....I think it's at the top of the price range for such a piece.
    And the fact that it has a "sticker" tells me it's not very old.
    Linda C

• markmizzou
    16 years ago

I would not worry about the "sticker issue " as much as you should inspect each and every drawer for excess wear on the drawer side board -bottoms (where the drawer slides on the supports of the piece's main structure. We call these "highboys" or "chest of Drawers" around this part of Missouri.
    The top looks like it may be veneered as well as the drawer fronts. This is very easy to see on a "natural" finished piece like this. Look for grain "direction changes" on these parts of the piece. If the grain does not continue thru the entire thickness of the particular piece of wood -- it's probably veneer. Solid quarter/sawn curved/bowed drawers are not often seen as the look of the wood will change as you look across the "curve". Veneer is not bad as long as the veneer is tight across the board - you can usually tap on the places with your knuckle and the sound will change if the veneer is loose. Of course sometimes it is obvious if the veneer is raised up.
    My guess of the piece's age is that it was made between 1920 -1935.
    If all is ok with the piece -- price sounds good to me! I could buy it and probably sell it for more -- Good luck

• texasredhead
    16 years ago

I see a lot of these type of pieces and they nearly always are vaneer especially on curved drawers. The other part of the equasion is driving from Road Island to New Hampshire to pick up the piece which at today's gas prices might add another $100. I also don't like the condition of the top. I believe I would quickly check some local antique dealers. IMO, I prefer unrefinished pieces where I can see the origional patina but that's just me.

• PRO
    Shoke2006
    8 years ago

I have that dresser!

• HU-331056334
    last year

I am trying to find out more about my dresser manufactured by same company and II have had scence a child, so atleast 40 years and i grew up next to Milfird N.H. It apears to be quite old and is not a vaneer. The top being 2 oak boards and sides are paneling. The size 28×16×44 , its had a simple refinishing of just light sanding and stain with new knobs matching the originals. Any imformation on it and its value would be

• lindac92
    last year

A picture would help.