Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pps7_gw

What is reasonable labor for tile installation?

pps7
14 years ago

What is the typical labor cost for tile installation if you're not doing anything fancy just laying 12 x 12 or 6 x6 tile. Excluding the cost of the tile but including thinset and grout materials?

We got our estimate for tiling and it seems they are charging us $18-22/square foot. I'm pretty sure the tile cost about $2-3/square foot although they didn't break it down. Thats seems really excessive for the labor portion. I'm going to talk to my builder and the tile store b/c that is well over our budget. My builder had allocated $10-12 square foot for labor and $2-3/square foot for tile.

For example: In our basement bath-the cost to tile a 3x5 tub surround(about 78 sqaure feet) came in at $1818. I've chosen basic plain white 6 x 6 porcelain tile which I was told is pretty cheap. That is $23/sqaure feet.

Laundry room: is approx 75 square feet. Cost $1343. $18/square foot. The tile is 12 x 12, 2 colors in a checkerboard pattern. Now it's possible that the tile I choose is too expensive,although online I've found it for less than $3/sqaure foot.I also made it clear that I wanted to be in the $2-3/square foot during the selection process.

What am I missing?

Comments (8)

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

What am I missing?

A couple more estimates. That sounds way high.

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

Definitely get more estimates! Unless you live in an extremely high-cost city, that's outrageous.

"In our basement bath-the cost to tile a 3x5 tub surround(about 78 sqaure feet) came in at $1818. I've chosen basic plain white 6 x 6 porcelain tile which I was told is pretty cheap. That is $23/sqaure feet."

I had a 3x5 tub surround tiled with 6" porcelain for way less than that. I don't have the break down at hand, but for 2 toilet replacements, two sink replacements, remove and replace old tub with new one, re-do surround walls with appropriate material and that pink glop, and tile new surround I paid I bought the visible parts myself ... toilets, tub, tile, grout, sinks, faucets. The contractor provided the supporting stuff like solder, pink glop, surround backing, etc. It's a good mix, because I knew what I wanted, and he knew what he needed to install it.

• studio460
    14 years ago

Those prices are insanely high! I live in an affluent zip code as well, and we get quotes into the stratosphere because of it. The poster above got a terrific deal, which I believe is fairly atypical. We had a bit more work done for a total of $1,650. Here's a breakdown:

Tile whole house floor (except bedrooms and baths), in 12" porcelain tile (purchased separately by homeowner) in straight-grid pattern:

Home Depot: $4.00/sq. foot (not sure what it includes, or if you have to buy their tile).
    My tiler: $2.00/sq. foot, including labor, thin set, and grout.

Bath remodel:

Install Tyvek in surround area, R13 insulation, Hardibacker, backer sealant, install tile in 5'x 3' tub surround to ceiling, tile bathroom floor, plus, tile another small area in the living room: $1,000.

Demo and remove old tub, install new drop-in tub with mortared base, plumb new shower supplies, install shower valve/diverter, replace tub drain and in-ground tub trap, install tub spout, valve cover, shower head, install new Toto toilet, install vanity fixture, drain and supplies: $650.

• PRO
    D A Parsons Construction
    5 years ago

Installing tile in a tub includes: Installing Durock, water proofing all seams. Was a niche involved? If so then that is extra, and that has to be water proofed. You wll need bullnose tile to go around the perimeter, and into the niche. That price is very reanonable.

• millworkman
    5 years ago

"That price is very reanonable."

In 2010 I am sure in was......................

• richard michielli
    2 years ago

$10 to $30 is what I see. Tiling is brutal on the knees and shoulders. If your doing a simple pattern it's not that hard.

I stagger tiles in half so nobody can see if my geout lines are straight.

I have tiled about 8 times. I posted some pictures.

Roll up your sleeves and get t done. You will make mistakes but so do the professionals

If I charged I would charge at least $10.a sq ft. There are not a lot of people who do it.

• HU-507504649
    11 months ago

I know this is an old thread but even today Labor should be around $12.50 to $14. That includes everything tpo finish the job the onlyt addition may be adding Niches

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living