Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pljnco1

Vintage German Tole Palm Tree Floor Lamp

pljnco1
11 years ago

Hi! I'm new here, so please forgive me if I do something I shouldn't. I have a question that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

About 5 years ago, I fell in love with and bought a 7 foot, old, tole palm tree floor lamp for four hundred dollars from a lady on Craigslist. I now have a teensy house and although I dearly LOVE this lamp...coolest lamp I've ever seen...I just don't have room in my house for it anymore. So, today I started searching for something like it to find out it's value and I found one like mine. I'm attaching the link to it-hope I did it right!

My question: Apparently this is pretty valuable. Can someone recommend where and how should I try to sell it? I've never tried to sell anything on Craigslist, only bought things, but I don't know how much interest a lamp like this would generate in my area. I've never done Ebay, so I don't know how that works...plus, the lamp is seven feet tall and metal. I guess it would be pretty expensive to ship? I even thought about emailing someone that does auctions, but I have no clue who would be best to contact. Does anyone have any recommendations about where I should start with this? I've attached a picture of my lamp. It's exactly the same as the one in the link, except that mine is off white and the leaves on the feet of mine are flat, not turned up.

Help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Similar lamp

Comments (14)

• lindac
    11 years ago

Is yours white? Or did someone spray paint the gold one?
    It's really amazing....I love it but sure don't want it!!
    I think it would sell best in Florida or California....or perhaps New York City....
    If you live near one of those places....perhaps a consignment shop would take it....

• pljnco1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Lindac...isn't it a cool lamp? My husband thought I was nuts for paying that much for it 5 years ago, but I just HAD to have it!!! Mine is white, and I was checking it over again today after seeing this gold one, but there's no sign of it ever being anything but white. I'll attach a picture of the bottom of it. It had some ding spots and rust type places when I bought it, but I was afraid to mess with it, so I've just dusted it and cleaned it with a wet rag when it needed it. I can see in some of the ding spots that there's no other paint under the white..it's just the metal. BTW, we're in North Carolina, so I guess we could drive it north or south from here, if I knew someone to contact.

• lindac
    11 years ago

How about a beach community in So0uth Carolina....could it be sort of Tybee Island-ish? or Hilton Head-ish?
    Get on line and look for dealers in those areas and email them a picture!

• Ideefixe
    11 years ago

I don't think it's exactly the same as the Hans Kogel one, but close. So put it on eBay and see what happens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hans Kogel palm tree gilt lamp

• pljnco1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great idea Lindac! Yes, it would definitely fit in with the upscale Hilton Head shabby chic crowd!;) ideefixe-yes, I found that Hans Kogel picture too, and the only differences I can see are the color and the leaves on the feet.

• nyboy
    11 years ago

very cool lamp can you post photo of it lit at night?

• pljnco1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Photography is sooooo not my thing! And please ignore the 42 inch TV crowding it...like I said-teensy house! :)

• lindac
    11 years ago

Look at the shadows on the wall......wow!!!!
    What kind of light sockets does it have? Thinking maye smaller bulbs? maybe some small some large....
    Imagine how awesome on a covered porch, patio sort of room....

Here is a link that might be useful: sound track!

• pljnco1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha! Love the sound track...too funny! I just went and looked at the lamp again. It's got three regular light sockets, but I've got 60 watts in all three. I think you may be right-3 60 watt bulbs is probably overkill. I've always thought this lamp would look terrific in one of those uber-UBER-expensive beachfront mansions. Probably like you said-Miami or California. It's such a conversation piece-everybody that sees it, wants it. During the day it's a fun, kitschy look-then during the night, it's just STUNNING! Hey, I took your advice and emailed a big antiques place at Hilton Head. We'll see what they say. Even if they don't know anybody, hopefully, they can steer me in the right direction with who to contact! I think I might cry if I do sell it though-I've never been so attached to a piece of furniture...weird...I'm turning into my mother! :)

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Wow ... before you list it on eBay, make sure you have a box and padding forit, weight it so you can easily include shipping.

It's definitely "Hollywood Regency" or "Palm Beach glam".

• pljnco1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the tip, but I'm really hoping to NOT have to go the Ebay route. I have no clue how to do that process, plus, even though this thing is metal, it's very flexible-any section of the top could easily be bent and/or broken in transit.

• pamghatten
    11 years ago

Very cool lamp, hope you find a good home for it!

• 1welcome1
    last year

Hello. Is this floor lamp for sale? If so, do you have additional photos of it? When and if you sell it, would it be listed on houzz or ebay or somewher else? I am interested for my living room. Thank you.

• lindac92
    last year

if you look at the date, that lamp was pictures 9 years ago. I'll bet it's long been sold.