Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lydia1959

G in the Sail of a Ship

lydia1959
18 years ago

Anybody familiar with this marking? It is a raised mark on a vintage glass paperweight. The paperweight is from University High School (has a Falcon, Hawk or Eagle on it). Couldn't find anything similar on eBay. TIA.

Comments (10)

• triciae
    18 years ago

Not sure I can help you but a little more info would be helpful...you say it's "vintage"...what do you mean by that? Also, do you know where University High School is/was?

• lydia1959
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm assuming it's vintage just because of the way it looks ( has some chips) and that I don't think paperweights are a big thing with high schoolers these days. *S* I'm a pretty good judge of the age of things - I'm guessing this could be as early as the 30's, late as the 60's. I was hoping someone would know something about the mark and that would help me date it better.

Not sure where the school is (or was) - there are quite a few University high schools.

• triciae
    18 years ago

Could you post a pix of the mark? I'm not sure I understand if the mark has bird of prey or if the paperweight has the bird?

• lydia1959
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hope this helps.

The graphics and bird are deep within the glass even though they look like they are on top. The red is a glob of glass inside the clear glass.

• triciae
    18 years ago

I'm stumped. I've searched through my reference books & don't see a similar mark. I've done a quick Google on University High School and while there are several...none have a bird of prey as a mascot symbol (or, at least they don't show a pix on their web site). I'm hoping Linda will see this and offer a suggestion...she's quite knowledgeable in antiques and may have a suggestion...

• lydia1959
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Still no luck on the school, but I posted the question on the eBay board and was given the link below. The paperweight was made by the Gentile Co., the marking is from 1977 (the year I graduated! And not near as old as I had hoped).

Here is a link that might be useful: Gentile Paperweights

• lindac
    18 years ago

Well....I just learned something!
    Thanks Lydia!!
    Linda C

• triciae
    18 years ago

My thanks, as well! And, now I know why it wasn't in my books...

• susannaholstein
    8 years ago

This is the Gentile Glass company mark. Gentile Glass was in Star City, WV. University High School is in Morgantown, WV.

• HU-479926177
    last year

I am searching for identification of a paperwe ht with an embossed ship with a G inthe sail

I came across Gentile Glass