FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
mabeldingeldine_gw

$4K DIY Bathroom Renovation

We had been planning a more substantial bathroom renovation, but instead are planning to put our house on the market in the next year, thus we opted for a modest renovation.

BEFORE

We tore up the old tile floor, replaced the subfloor with new plywood, replaced the toilet, made new doors for the vanity and wall cupboard, built a beadboard surround with a small cabinet around the vent stack, added beadboard wainscot, installed new vinyl plank flooring and a new toilet.

We left the tub, but tore out the old surround, which was tile on drywall. Amazingly, there was no mold behind the tile. We had to rebuild the fixture wall and re-do a lot of âÂÂinnovativeâ plumbing from the PO. We added blocking and 2 grab bars, and 2 niches.

Our goal was $3,500 but the plumbing issues and fixture wall rebuild pushed us over budget. One of my favorite features is the outlet in the wall cupboard where my hairdryer stays plugged-in and hidden -- a GW hint for sure.

AFTER

We still have to find towel hooks, finish making new door trim and its adjacent baseboard, and paint the door, but it is done enough to post, especially since I donâÂÂt know when the door trim will be finished, let alone when I will settle on a paint color for the door.

Materials:
Kraus sink and faucet ordered from Amazon
American Standard Clean Cadet from Lowes
American Olean 4-in x 4-in Earthenware Ice White ceramic wall tile
Oracle Stone and Tile 1x1 Bianca Carrara polished marble mosaic tile
Carrara pencil tile from Home Depot
Marble door threshold for vanity windowsill from Home Depot
Laticrete Spectralock Grout in Silver shadow
Redi Tile Niche inserts
Moen Kingsley Grab Bars
Moen Brantford Shower trim
Moen curved shower rod