Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carla35_gw

Sponge mop question

carla35
17 years ago

OK, I absolutely hate sponges but my kitchen floor squeegee thing broke and I picked up a temporary sponge type mop. It was all they had and it literally has a long yellow sponge on the end. I bought a couple replacements since they were so cheap but I want to know how to clean the sponge part.

I've heard you can just pop them in the microwave so that's what I did, but I saw all the steam, and I got all grossed out that I just put all the floor germs all over the microwave. So I spent an extra 5 minutes cleaning the microwave afterwards. Please don't advise the dishwasher, that grosses my out even more...It just seems like putting a dirty diaper in there to me (especially if I want to use the mop to clean the bathroom floor). Do you think I can throw the sponge head in the clothes washer (will it fall apart?) or should I just soak it in the sink in some bleach water? What would/do you guys do? Thanks.

Comments (7)

• krissie55
    17 years ago

Bleach will destroy the sponge. Lysol Antibacterial Kitchen Cleaner would work, spray sponge good, squeeze through, let set for a while then rinse good.

• jenathegreat
    17 years ago

Wouldn't the fact that it turned to steam in the microwave mean that the germs were dead? So it wouldn't have contaminated the microwave?

But honestly, I just don't worry about it. Since I don't mop every day (or every week for that matter), the sponge dries out completely between uses. It's not continuously wet like a sink sponge, so it's much less likely to harbor bacteria. If you mop so often that it doesn't dry completely, maybe change the heads out so that they do have a chance to dry.

If the sponge got really gross, and didn't come clean in hot water, I'd replace it.

Anyway, if I wanted to kill the germs on a sponge mop... Maybe pour boiling water on it? Or boiling water with vinegar added? And then squeeze out and let dry completely.

• carla35
    Original Author
    17 years ago

jenathegreat,
    I'm not sure about the steam thing killing everything. Especially since I'm not sure how long I had to microwave the sponge for. (I didn't do it too long) I think steam may be like boiling water and I think boiling water has to be used for a period of time (say 10-15 minutes) to be really effective but I'm not sure. I know I had to boil baby stuff for like 15 minutes or something.

Just not sure about any of it; I pretty much use the mop daily or would like to...lots of spills and stuff! And, I wanted to use the mop in my bathroom too but with two little boys (one just starting to potty train) you can bet I'm not going to try the dishwasher to clean it.

I may just try the clothes washer to see what happens.

• glassquilt
    17 years ago

Thought I'd check up on the boiling water thing - I had no idea myself. The quote is from Health, Canada, Ontario. The link is for high altitude medicine.

"Treating tap water when a Boil Water Advisory has been issued
    When a Boil Water Advisory has been issued, or if you cannot confirm whether a Boil Water Advisory has been issued and are concerned about the safety of the water, use an alternate source of water or treat the water using one of the following methods :

1. Bring the water to a rolling boil for at least one minute (water should be bubbling and rolling).
      If you are using a gas barbecue to boil water, use it only outdoors.
      During a power outage, never use gasoline or charcoal-burning devices, such as generators, grills, or camp stoves, inside your home, basement, or garage; or near a window. Carbon monoxide from these sources can build up in your home and poison the people and animals inside."

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/pub/watersafe/watersafe_power.html

Here is a link that might be useful: boiling water

• carla35
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks glassquit,
    I see the one minute boil is for the actual water itself. Knowing me, I'd probably just boil a little longer anyway- LOL. When sterilizing other objects...bottles, jars for canning, etc. the boiling time is usually longer. I guess that's since it takes the objects a longer time to get as hot.

And, thanks, krissie, I don't have that cleaner but might pick it or a similar one up. Sounds like that could work.

I was looking around for ideas and here's something I found about microwaving (and cleaning) sponges... Thought someone else may find it interesting...

Here is a link that might be useful: Microwaving Sponges

• jannie
    17 years ago

Replacement sponges are not expensive. I change mine out frequently. Sometimes after just two rooms of floors washed.

• lisa77429
    17 years ago

Make life easy, get a Floor Mate type vacuum - sprays cleaner, has rotating cleaner heads and then squeegees up the dirty water into a tank.

Just recently realized how much cleaner your floor will be using the Floor Mate vs. mops when the Floor Mate broke. I help a 96 year old lady - her entire house is linoleum. No matter who mops down there, your white socks will be dirty the very next day from a film left on the floor. However, when we used to use the Floor Mate - you were good for several days or more. I truly think you are pushing around dirty water when mopping no matter how many times you rinse out your mop. We WILL be buying a new Floor Mate soon!