Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helplesshouse

My traditional living room is doing my head in!

helplesshouse
11 years ago
Help. I Have ended up buying traditional furniture that is too fancy to sit on; hubby won't part with it, and I am trying to make it look better and add a modern seating area that will blend in with it and go with open plan kitchen (ouch, it's an impossible challenge for me). Could you please help? I would really appreciate any of your ideas.

Comments (105)

• PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    Hi helplesshouse, Marie Here.
    Wow - gorgeous house with lots of opinions here.
    Love your chandelier-
    I would remove the gold sofa and either sell it, or place it in your bedroom or library - as it is pushing the design and pushing the feeling of your room to OTT (over the top).
    Your area rug is also too small, and needs to be removed, or layered (see photo below of two areas rugs on top of each other).
    By removing the gold sofa, and putting something more casual and modern will instantly create a more relaxed mood. Add a large area rug and unique coffee table will also help.

I can see a bit into the next room - it is very casual , which means you have not created flow and harmony from room to room. You can elevate the design from one room to the next, but in more subtle ways. I wish you luck and if I can be of further assistance, don't hesitate to contact me
  • eileenforsyth
    11 years ago
    I LOVE your rearrangement, it's already more inviting, and have a few ideas to make your hubby more likely to feel comfortable, as well as your guests. Do as the french do with their sophisticated pieces and slipcover the sofa with linen - I'm picturing a few visible ties and a somewhat loose fit - keep the legs exposed and Do Not paint them! Then add some down throw pillows. I know everyone is telling you that, but think its important to add a "sit on me and enjoy" vibe. I like the idea or orange (this time of year) but also think light teal, primary green or even soft pink would be fun.

Painting the walls a warm mid-toned gray with some depth; it wil make the room tremendously inviting, and would look great. With so much like and open passways, the walls can handle it.

Changing the rug for a larger, chunky and inexpensive seagrass is key. I've had three for three years and they give a great sense of informal class to my more formal pieces, including gold and chandeliers (plus they hide everything - I got mine online from Ballard Designs).

Finally, you could get a new chandelier that has more presence and a more current vibe. I'd suggest capiz, as it looks like you are in the south and it would tie in with the seagrass and linen idea I'm floating. I got mine from PB Teen (nothing teen about it - superb quality and great price) for right around 200 dollars and love how it changed the whole formal dining room. Lots of compliments and easy as pie to install. Not heavy.

Finally, to tie the less formal TV room in, drape a large, light colored (gold or silver gray) throw over the leather sofa, right down the middle and tuck it in under the pillows, dividing the space into thirds. Consider moving just one of the small gold-edged occasional chairs into that space to sort of "let go" of all the symmetry and blur the difference between the two rooms. You can always pick it up and bring it back when you need an extra seat - doing this as guests arrive says, "look I am flexible and care about your comfort, not keeping things perfect." :)
  • Liorah
    11 years ago
    Is that a Fine Arts chandelier??
  • lepstein
    11 years ago
    I love your sofa. It's what I'm looking for in my room.
  • helplesshouse
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Hi Everyone. The Chandelier is Fine Arts and I do quite like it. I've been shopping today to try to buy lamps, bigger, more modern darker rug, wooden things and new curtains, and two chairs for the other room but sadly have come home empty handed as the choice was overwhelming and perhaps that was a bit ambitious for just one day. I am planning to take the cushions with me next time to check for colour matching. Rugs were too small and the people I spoke to suggested getting one made. There were thousands of chairs, in hundreds of colours. I'm not exactly sure what a slipcover is. Does anyone have a photo? I saw some nice lamps. I'll try to find a picture of them to see what you think about them fitting in. I wasn't sure if they were modern or not. Shopping is not easy, and I have a lot of respect for interior designers.
  • lepstein
    11 years ago
    If you change the pillows, don't be afraid to mix the colours and textures. Yellow goes with many colours (umber, purple, blue, brown). Depends on your taste. I would definitely not go beige. I agree re the chairs. They are a bit formal dining room.
  • anitajoyce
    11 years ago
    Is ther a Target or Kohls dept store or another discount store in your area. If so, check them out. They have Lamps, Nice rugs that don't cost an arm and a leg and other accessories to use for your room. Start with the rug, first ,one day, then the curtains, then the lamps. Look for one thing at a time to not feel overwhelmed by all of this decorating (fun Stuff).
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    Shopping is overwhelming--that's one advantage of going online. It does help to have a plan, and the approx. dimensions of what you are looking for. I would take pictures of what you have, take measurements and draw sketches of possible floor plans on graph paper, and make a book to bring with you (or a folder to look at on a tablet PC). Continue to try bringing in what you have into that room(s) until it looks almost right, then fill in the gaps, and work on the other rooms.
  • helplesshouse
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for that help. It sounds like a good idea. I had another go today and managed two plants:)
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    Hey, everything you do is a triumph. Nice plants are great for your house with so much natural light and space.

By shopping online, you can PinInterest or just save on the computer photos of stuff you like for different rooms, or just stuff you like, and group according to where something like it could fit and make shopping list so if you see something that might work, you'll recognize it. It might not be exactly what you had in mind but BINGO its there. You have such great stuff already.

I found some websites about mixing traditional and modern and funky. Maybe something will inspire you:

http://www.jeffersdesigngroup.com/portfolio

http://www.housebeautiful.com/decorating/ideas/mixing-furniture-design-styles-0111#slide-1

I bet you are feeling like Sofa #2 here!
  • helplesshouse
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks so much, wow, those photos of the white furniture are just so so beautiful. Now I understand what people mean when they talk about linen and white painted frames. I'll check out the websites too. Thanks again.
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    :) House Beautiful has a lot of pics of homes that combine styles and is worth surfing. Some are pretty high ticket, but you can get some ideas.
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    How's it coming along? Bet it will look great decorated for Christmas!
  • anitajoyce
    11 years ago
    Rearrangement looks nice. Do you have a coffee table you can use in the room(it needs one). Place a big picture book on top along with a group of 2-3 candles or a plant and the book or two.
  • helplesshouse
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hello - Thanks for keeping in touch. I haven't given up but have been busy at work since my last re-arrangement, so haven't done anything more. The new plants died - which just about sums up my success with decorating. Maybe I should go for plastic plants and flowers. But I have started the decorating book on my computer and have now got photos of both my stuff, dimensions and pictures of some nice things to take with me when I go shopping next time:) As soon as I have something else to show, I'll send a photo. The thing that worked the best so far is moving the leather sofa from looking straight into the kitchen to in front of the window. Now, we've started using that bit of the room again. I'm thinking about getting the sofa re-covered. Cream coloured linen? I've been inspired by the photos victoriabungalowranch posted.
  • anitajoyce
    11 years ago
    Thanks for all the after pictures. Everything is looking great! Sorry about the plants. A great houseplant to have is a snake plant. It doesn't require a lot of light at all. It grows up straight and the leaves have variations of color (green and white). It's an easy care plant. I 've had one for a few years nowand I love it!
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    Yeah, those snake plants and philodendrons are hard to kill. The snake plant is very architectural too--not just for old bars you know.

I think cream or ivory or light grey would be nice for the sofa. Linen is nice but I would check on how easy it is to keep up and clean. I would have a problem with anything too white that way:). Maybe even more of a burlap color or ticking stripe would be nice and make it a bit more dressed down, and wouldn't show the stains as much. Recover some of the throw pillows in the same or coordinating fabric for the chairs, and rough up the gold a bit and glaze with white paint or liming wax. Then it would go more toward the Scandinavian country look and be a little less heavy.

Have a great holiday, and happy post holiday shopping for the house!.
  • Nancy Hehmann
    11 years ago
    I will jump in and say the Peace lily plants are difficult to kill as well. Norfolk Island pines are pretty and hardy. They cannot be left out in the winter if the temperatures get cold though- tried that once years ago because I thought since they had pine in their name it would be ok.
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Norfolk Island Pines live in a temperate region and do not survive below 50 deg F. Indoors they must be regularly misted, even daily, as they do not like dry air . They do not like direct sunlight but like to be in a well lit room. They are also sensitive to pollution so be sure the water used to water them is chemical free - use rainwater if possible. In the garden they will grow to around 80 feet.
  • Nancy Hehmann
    11 years ago
    Great info about Norfolk Island Pines. Mine lived for years without misting and I used tap water. Only died when I have moved to Texas and thought I could leave it outside.
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    You could have been lucky in that there was sufficient humidity in the air and your tap water relatively chemical free. I'm assuming Texas would be hot and dry so outdoors could have been too much for it - Norfolk Island is not a big island so their natural habitat is humid sea air.
  • helplesshouse
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hello, I'm thinking about recovering the sofa and have got some samples - not white or cream, more like beige. I would be very interested to hear your opinions.
  • helplesshouse
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I have also moved the rug into the other part of the room, which I think looks a bit better. It has encouraged us to use that bit of the room more.
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    Where is that nice pierced oriental screen you had? I think that would look nice in that corner behind the black couch. If this new arrangement is encouraging you to use the space more, that is good! Maybe bringing in a side table and/or a coffee table or ottoman would finish it off more.

I think distressing the gold finish and a wash of white, maybe some gray or silver and some glaze or wax over the carved parts would really help--the gold is very flat and has no dimension. If you did that the existing gold upholstery might look better--mask carefully. If you are feelig scared of doing that, try a little on the bottom of the chair where no one will see.

You can find directions online how to do this. I've done it mostly with paint, but chalk paint has a nice effect and could be a bit easier to get the right look, and there are tinted waxes frome white to dark brown that might work. Maybe you could experiment on an old picture frame or something to figure out what works best. A little of the same on the big mirror might be nice too.

I prefer the lighter and more oyster (grayish/greige) version of the fabric, and something with a bit of texture to it, like natural dye color linen, or a contrast texture stripe or dot (like you already have but bigger) but not the rough texture. It is hard to see subtle differences on screen. And only do the couch. I say no to the velvet--a flocked strip, maybe.

I would ask for advice from the uphosterer. If you feel unable to do the finish yourself, she might have contacts.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    victorian, I agree with using the screen behind sofa.
  • helplesshouse
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I was initially thinking white linen and then went on to think of black or brown velvet for the chairs and some kind of straw coloured silk or linen for the sofa with some bigger coordinating cushions for both of them. When I went looking for the fabric, I discovered that there are actually millions of different kinds of fabric in an infinite variety of colours and shades with minute variations in the texture. The people in the shops won't let you bring home the samples. When I managed to get these samples home and put them on the frame, I didn't really like any of them that much, the linen texture seems to be a bit too rough for the frame. What type of fabric do you think would suit? Thanks in advance.

I will dig out the screen tomorrow and put it behind the sofa. I've got a circular black marble top coffee table with chrome base. Do you think it would go?
  • helplesshouse
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I found this photograph of fabrics, which I liked, (It's where the black gold idea came from) but then they turned out to be super expensive and I can't afford them.
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    That's really pretty but it is a lot of black and will blend in rather than stand out but worth a try. Why don't you try it with the gold sofa and settee too? Could be an interesting contrast.

Gee, I always thought you could get samples. Perhaps people don't bring them back. I think there are different textures of linen and you could get one that is less rough. Do you have a picture frame or something similar to your chairs you could bring in to help you pick, at least the pillow.

Maybe you can find a designer who will bring samples to your house. My Mom's best friend did this and it makes it so much easier to decide. It looks like you have a lot of great stuff to work with, and a complete appraisal could help figure out what goes where.

Or you could post more individual pics of items, and your various rooms (do you have more sitting areas>) the folks here can help you shift things around more cohesively. A floorplan might be nice too.

What do you think of some of the rug suggestions from above now that you moved the black one? I really liked the ones with pumkin orange or a bold color to add a dash of informality and modernity..
  • helplesshouse
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks, you are right as usual, it would be too much black in that area and would be too low for the gold sofa. it's heavy as hell so I think I'll leave it where it is now (with my feet up on it). Do you think i should I try to cover up the rug with a wooden table, or leave it show with a glass coffee table?
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    I think a rustic wood table could look great and would contrast better with the couch, especially if it has some paint on it. The rug pattern is very assertive so mayb a little cover would be a good thing :)
  • helplesshouse
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks, I'll have a look for that type of thing when I pluck up the courage for another shopping trip. I've got a couple of wooden trunks, they look a bit rustic, perhaps one of them would give the idea for now. I'll take a photo and post.
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    Hey, a wood trunk could be perfect. If it is too rustic, try a little wax (on the bottom if you like). I think it is better to work with what you got already before buying much more--get it almost right first.
  • helplesshouse
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I have attached a photo of the boxes. Do you think one of the boxes would work? Also, a close up of the gilt frame. If anyone knows any good materials and colours for re-covering that would go with the frame then I would appreciate your recommendations. Thanks
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    I think the dark greenish one or the oak might work with some mercury glass/metallic on top--like some tall canglesticks, maybe artisically arranged on a tray or some books..Plut the pierced screen behind. Add a nice lightweight knobby throw.

Then I would put the spindily chrome and black sidetable next to ond or the black armchairs, put the console aagainst the wall with the modern silver oval mirror on the wal with a tall snake plant in a rustic containerm and that earthenware jug, and some driftwood or something earthy,, and move the big gilt mirror and the table into in the other room.. Bring a few of the gold pilllows from the other room mixed in with some casual ones (printed burlap perhaps?)

One of your fabric patterns is ebony limed/cerused oak, so if you have a honey oak piece with a distinct grain, you can ebonized it and then rub white liming wax into the grain to get that effect. My grandmosther's front door was like that and it is very striking. Just the wax alone is interesting and much nicer than a pickled (pinkish) finish. Was popular in art deco and midcentury furniture--mostly consoles and sideboards and tables. It can be done in almost any color combination. You can search for how to do it and experiment on a piece you don't like.
  • PRO
    GONZALO DE SALAS
    11 years ago
    Besides other previous commented changes in fabrics, rug size, etc... If I can be of your help to modernize the room it is regarding the coffee table and maybe some nice side tables for the sofa.
    As sculptor and high end furniture designer I invite you to visit my site and see some ideas
    www.gonzalodesalas.com/en

I have a line/catalog of furniture, Artistic Furniture Line, that although has a modern design, it combines specially well with classic decorations, creating an interesting focal point of contrast .
    The tables are made in rusted corten steel, a type of steel that gives a dark and warm brown color that will go specially well with the golden sofa, chairs and classical rug.This steel is quite high quality material usually used in architecture, industry, and by sculptors. The final look seems like wood, but it isn't. The resistance of the steel allows me to create complete new concepts of design that are not possible to do with wood.

The idea is basically to combine classical and modern furniture in a way that works.

Here I attach some examples of coffee tables and side tables, but there are a lot more.
  • helplesshouse
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Your tables and sculptures are beautiful. I went to the website and saw the sculptures as well. Thanks for letting me know about them.
  • PRO
    GONZALO DE SALAS
    11 years ago
    Thanks! I am glad you liked them.
    Here I post another picture of a table that can be good to see how these tables work on classical decorations.
    This is a CAPITEL dining table placed in a house with old Louis XVI furniture. The table was the only piece breaking a bit the classical ambiance.

if you like it circular it can be adapted in coffee table size.
  • PRO
    Walls Republic Inc
    11 years ago
    You have such wonderful and unique pieces, they definitely set a particular mood for the space. The decorative nature of the furniture certainly needs a strong back drop; the walls need to support and compliment the nature of the furniture. There are some great examples of ways to tie all the furniture and accents into a unified room!

http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/910
    http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/121
    http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/1035

The space has come so far, you just need to bring it home. Enjoy searching the website, there is alot to see, feel free to email for any questions. info@primewalls.com
  • nevadan
    11 years ago
    Your furniture and rug look fine - and comfortable. But what is that weird fabric behind the console? That has to GO!
  • helplesshouse
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    In a house full of weird fabric - you'll have to be more specific:)
    Thanks for the references on the walls, I will definitely check it out.
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    A modern sculptural coffee table in ebony could be nice with the gold set, along with a greater variety of pillows, a textured throw and a nice perhaps more modern rug. I would go easy on the damask type wallpapers, but some wall color or tone would be nice. You have so little color and adding some could really change things up.

I think keeping the chairs gold and reupolstering the couch would be enough, and a lot cheaper too. Maybe that "blue fabric" could be drapped artistically behind the couch and the map picture hung over it, perhaps mixed with some burlap or something to make it a little less serious, and more textured. Is it blue with Napoleon bees on it by any chance? You see this sort of thing quite a bit in the background of old portraits.

I also think you could use some art--you don't really have any. How about some old-master like his and her portraits? Maybe in pastel in soft colors--very early 1800s, you know. Need to get someone who knows their stuff to make it look right. Or even something more graphic and contemporary, or a dash of ethnic. Where are your other weird fabrics?
  • helplesshouse
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Dear Colleagues at Houzz. It has been a long time since my original posting, but if any one is still there after all this time, I wanted to share some updated photos with you. The room is not yet completed and has no accessories or anything yet, but I have had quite a bit of work done and I am much happier with the room now. I hope you like it. I'll be asking for help on another room soon. Thanks for your inspirational photos and comments, which really helped me to move forward with the room.
  • olldroo
    9 years ago
    helplesshouse - thank you for posting, I can hardly believe they are the same rooms. I absolutely love that screen, divides the rooms beautifully. What happened to the gold sofa?
  • helplesshouse
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Da Dah, tucked away in a small room downstairs and used as my husband's Meeting Room. He's happy and we can close the door when it's not in use..
  • olldroo
    9 years ago
    SOLVED!! As only a good woman can. Well done. Your blind is gorgeous. I'd like to see an antique side table there, with crystal decanters and glasses to make it look a real "gentleman's" room.
  • PRO
    Go Nautical Collections
    9 years ago
    Find great items and ideas for your next project http://gonautical.com/nautical-decor-c-2.html
  • pickyvicky
    9 years ago
    @ dmldml..... I couldn't agree with you more or said it better.

First thing, I'd lose the pillows - they really make the furniture look formal.

Second thing, I'd get a good rug.

Third thing, I'd paint the room a good color or two. A deep or bold color for the wall the sofa will be on will help tone done the gold on the sofa.
  • PRO
    AhmadDoors
    8 years ago

Awesome finish you guys. Love the floorin. Love the furniture. LEt us know if we can assist in anyway.

AhmadDoors.com

Sponsored
SparkWise Electric (aka Max Electric)
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Expert Electricians for Electric Service and Lighting