Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20102449

Quality of Pottery Barn's Medicine Cabinets?

User
17 years ago

I'm looking for an old fashioned recessed medicine cabinets. So far, all of the ones I've seen are pretty expensive and not necessarily quite the look I want. I saw one at a PB and the price was better. It's not 100% what I'm looking for, but I'm considering it. Anyone familiar with the quality of PB's medicine cabinet? According to PB, it's all wood, painted and moisure resistant.

Comments (21)

• coleen3201118
    17 years ago

I have one in my 1/2 bath downstairs (recessed) and I love it!

• runninginplace
    17 years ago

I have one too, installed in my master bath in a remodel last summer. I second Coleen, it's a nice cabinet. The quality is fine-when I originally was searching for recessed cabinets, someone on this forum felt it was cheaply made but it seems to be very sturdy and definitely fits the style I wanted which is retro/classic in white. It's not easy to find that in a recessed cabinet. The price is definitely better than the Rejuvenation cabinet lots of folks here use. Not that there's anything wrong with R cabinets :). But I am very satisfied with the PB version.

• igloochic
    17 years ago

I have one sitting in my living room right now (waiting for install as soon as I find a contractor). I absolutely love it (I went for the taller version which cost more but I think will look nicer in the small room). I've taken it out of the box (to be sure it arrived in one piece) and am very impressed with the quality.

If they made kitchen cabinets I'd probably buy from them. It's very nice and will fit in great if you're looking for an older style :)

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks a lot for the responses. Yes, I'm looking for a classic older style and considering my bathroom is so small to save space. I actually saw an Afina Devon cabinet that looked a lot alike. Althoguh I didn't have both in front of me at the same time, the Devon did not look better than the PB. It, however, cost about $240 more at Home Depot and more elsewhere. For $240, I love PB.

• motherpam
    16 years ago

Reviving this to see how the PB medicine cabinets are doing as the framing for mine is going on even as I write this. I picked the large size one in expresso. Afina has a similar one and it was going to be $600. The PB one is $279. That seems like an easy decision to me. I am going to try and see the PB one in person this weekend.

• furth_maria
    8 years ago

I bought the recessed PB Hotel medicine cabinet. It's very nice. However, the description of the one I purchased says "white." It's actually cream, almost yellow. I wish they'd had a very description.

• furth_maria
    8 years ago

• E O
    5 years ago

That's a great warranty! I looked through the Sofia website, but they don't have any to fit my existing opening since most of their models start at 30" high. I'll keep them in mind for next time I'm looking for a large medicine cabinet.

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

$500, $700, $800???? Seriously? It's a small box made of cheap wood, painted.... with a mirror. Find a local carpenter or a kitchen/bath cabinet maker and have it made. You'll get exactly the size you want...and it will be cheaper/higher quality...esp if you go with a carpenter. Even if he's a mediocre carpenter it will probably be higher quality! These are the biggest rip offs in bath remodels and they charge this $$ because people pay it, NOT because it's worth it. If you want to see how easy it is to make and what you're paying for, go to Utube and check out "build a med cabinet". You'll see how ridiculous it is to pay this kind of $$. You'll also be supporting your local economy.

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

I've built 3 semi recessed medicine cabinets out of scraps that I had laying around. The only cash outlay was for mirrors and hardware. Used some thick acrylic for the shelves that I had found at a rummage sale.

• E O
    5 years ago

I agree that the prices are crazy, which is why I'm stalling, but my bathroom design is modern and I'm not sure a wooden cabinet will fit the style. I may just pay someone to drywall over the hole and put an inexpensive frameless mirror instead.

• E O
    5 years ago

In case anyone is in the same situation, I found a hospital grade stainless steel recessed medicine cabinet for $287 that fits into the same cutout as the Pottery Barn Kensington 17"x27" cabinet I had to replace. This thing is sturdy with stainless steel shelves and looks very similar, although the frame is not as shiny because it's real stainless steel, not plastic film. It's called Bobrick B-398 Recessed Stainless Steel Medicine Cabinet.

• rivernerd
    4 years ago

Don't buy Pottery Barn Vintage XL Medicine Cabinet--it Has a Fatal Design Flaw!

When the cabinet is installed flush to the wall, the medicine cabinet door won't open to the full 90 degrees because it hits the wall! To enable the door to fully open, and clear the wall when doing so, you must shim the medicine cabinet 5/16" away from the wall. This results in an unsightly gap between the cabinet and the wall, which looks awful. It is remarkable that pottery barn continues to sell such a flawed product..

• Sean O'Sullivan
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Very Happy with my PB Hotel Recessed cabinets. Quality is great, well made. Only down fall is the description says white but more off white/cream.

• Nancy in Mich
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have read reports of the mirror glass blackening around the edges of med cabs, too. The solution is to only use water and a microfiber cloth when cleaning them. Never use glass cleaner, most of all! I found a space where a med cab used to be in our half bath, behind the wall mirror. It turns out that there is a wall safe made to fit there, too. I got one and my carpenter made a frame around the back side of the mirror, onto which he put a piano hinge. Since it is near the corner of the room, you cannot see behind to see the hinge and the mirror is only about a half inch off the wall, so it is not too noticeable. My friend with the drug habit has not found it, as far as I know, and the safe is working to hold interesting medications and our cash.

• Runnermom
    3 years ago

Does anyone know if the PB classic medicine cabinet with the white frame is a true white color? I saw people wrote that the Hotel medicine cabinet turned out to be cream colored. thanks!

• Allison Grant
    3 years ago

Wondering if the cabinet door can be repainted?

• Ashley D
    2 years ago

Beware their "brass" but, in pictures, "gold" looking cabinets. They're just brown. What a waste of money.

• HU-805354420
    3 months ago

We remodeled our bathroom in 2020, the plastic chrome wrap on the frame of our pottery barn polished nickel finish cabinet started peeling and bubbling within 6 months. No recourse with Pottery Barn as someone else commented. Product is shite.