Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluekitobsessed

How noisy is a Thermador oven supposed to be?

bluekitobsessed
15 years ago

My Thermador 36" PH DF range seems to have a very noisy oven fan. Is this normal?

Comments (64)

• dadoes
    4 years ago

Ashley Tittle ... turning the breaker off to kill the cooling fan seems a bad idea. The interior heat will eventually dissipate ... but heat goes up and the electronics are typically at top of the range or wall oven, so the residual heat will radiate up inside the unit accordingly.

• homechef59
    4 years ago

If you turn off the breaker to kill the fan while the oven is hot, you will melt the wires above the oven. And, this is why you should never use the self-cleaning option on a double wall oven. The heat in the cabinet will melt the wires. That fan is the designer's solution for dissipating the heat.

There is going to come a day when you will need to replace the control board. File away what I am about to say for future reference. You can send the mother board to a electronics refurbishment company. You will find them on the web. When this mother board dies it will be cheaper to ship it in and have them do a repair.

This is true not only of Thermador, but all wall ovens. Understand why the fan is running and maybe it won't bother you as much.

• Ashley Tittle
    4 years ago

Good to know - I haven't been flipping the breaker because I actually have not been using the oven that much. But thanks for the mechanics of what is going on. All the more reason for Thermador to help us.

• Home cook
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Just got a 48“ thermador pro grand all gas range. The cooling fan WHISTLES just as described above. This can’t be normal or is it?? We use the oven daily if not multiple times a day. Our old Kitchenaid 30” wall ovens blew hot air but did not make an annoying whistle sound during and after use. Any recent updates or response from Thermador?

My dealer said he would reach out to the BSH service...but if this is “working correctly” I may need to explore options to return for a different brand altogether. Any idea if other brands Wolf, Dacor, Blue Star have similar issue?

• txponygirl
    4 years ago

Same here. Installed a 48" dual fuel Thermador in 2017 and the fan is noisy as heck. When I'm done, I have to leave the oven door open so the fan shuts off faster. If I don't do that, the fan runs for a long.

• Home cook
    4 years ago

Tech from Bosch came out yesterday and fixed connection on DW that still is not working properly. Said there are three fans in back and stay on when oven is above 200 degrees and do not shut off till it goes below. Loud buzzing / whistle is “normal” for all large pro style ranges due to electronics according to him. Just having a hard time accepting that such an expensive piece of equipment can be so loud. The DW makes almost no noise, but takes 2.5 hours on auto and has been creating moisture around the door...and the range sounds like a train is in my house while the game are on. Very disappointed...do not want to pay restocking fee to exchange, but strongly considering.

If anyone has had better luck in terms of sound with other 48” range brands please let me know.

• Kari
    4 years ago

Wow. I wish I would've seen these sooner. Just had our Thermador 30" double wall ovens installed a few days ago and we could not believe how noisy they are. The fan runs the entire time the oven is being used and then some while cooling. Also a whistling noise! I cannot believe this is normal! Had double Kitchenaid ovens before and no noise at all from them. We are so disappointed. Wish our salesman would have given us a heads up....

• txponygirl
    4 years ago

Kari, I leave my oven door open after I'm done which cools the oven down and shuts down the fan fairly quick. Prior to my Thermador, (in my previous house) I had a Viking wall oven and it did the same thing.

• Molly
    3 years ago

Thank you all for your comments. The noise is driving me crazy. Sounds like replacing with another brand might not be any different. I will be contacting my rep tomorrow though to see if they are working on a solution.

• baharefil
    3 years ago

I am planning to bring all thermador victims under a roof. It is gonna be a website that archives people’s comments with pictures and everything. I am also willing to pay a little extra to the advertisements for my website. I lost a lot already and little extra wont hurt.

My plan was loading my thermador to a track with a big sign of thermador trash and tour around Austin.

I am too busy to do it now. But for sure will do it one day and will let you know. Actually you will know for sure because I will be everywhere even in TikTok :)

Btw thermador home blocked me from their IG :)

In today’s world it might not make a big impact but you know how companies target future buyers with the adds.

Bloggers, chefs , lawyers should be in this movement I think.

Even though I am doing it for thermador related issues it might get bigger one day and we can do it for other problem makers.

bad reviews not enough all the time. We need louder voices.

If anyone would come up with any idea you can email me and I will add to to my resources for the future.

email : bebekliyorum@hotmail.com

• baharefil
    3 years ago

@Molly My fan problem has been solved. But here is the thing.

Second technician finally solved it but tge first one kept saying it was normal.

My range has more problems than a fan noise.

It doesn’t heat up to 400 sometime and it thermostats works whenever it wants to works. So my recipes always fail. Engineer says “ If a dish comes out of the oven cooked than it is ok “

Imagine that I cook a simple recipe of cookie that should take no longer than 20 minutes and I have to cook it at least 40 minute.

And also if I cook dishes in different batches the range may not cook the last one because the majesty is tired :)

• Angela Carroway
    3 years ago

I can't stand the noise. Hard to have a dinner party or a conversation or hear a tv while using the oven. So disappointed. I have had mine since 2018 when we did a major kitchen renovation and have used it maybe 12 times. I repurposed my old kitchen aid oven into my pantry and that is what I use to cook. I will be replacing it at some point.

• Angela Carroway
    3 years ago

@baharefil What did they do to fix the fan noise?

• Molly
    3 years ago

I'd also like to know what they did to fix the noise. I have had mine for a few months and have had to flip the breaker once because the igniter wouldn't shut off and the center gage doesn't always work. Not sure what's going on with it. I am imagining a dinner party with that noise in the background and it doesn't seem pleasant.

• baharefil
    3 years ago

@Angela Carroway @Molly

I don’t know how the technician did it but he was someone who knows what he is doing. I had many visits with the first technician and the second one. When I saw the difference I always wanted him to check the range. we might have more than 15 visits. The technician and the manager agree that this is a broken range but some of the thermador engineers still thinks our range is fine. I think they are trying to cover up their mess by silencing the customers who have problems. Finally they agreed to pay us back if we buy another range. It doesn’t matter what brand we buy they say they will pay for it. Why a company would wait me buy another range while they suppose to just get back their trash and refund my money. I am not satisfied with that. I will make them feel the trouble that I felt for months with their trash.

I live in Austin if you need the technician in this area ask for SHAWN. Call customer service directly and don’t bother yourself with some other services that wastes your time like mine did. (Not all of them included. )

• Thomas Lennon
    3 years ago

We bought a house with a new Thermador range already in it. It's so loud, that we NEVER would have bought it, had we heard it. It's ASTONISHINGLY LOUD. The fan is like a wind tunnel sound, and yes we've had it checked and repaired, and the noise is EXACTLY THE SAME. It's a design flaw. Unless you're OKAY WITH A SMALL HELICOPTER sound during your dinner, the fan doesn't stop until the unit is cool, so almost an hour most times.

• bepcerf
    3 years ago

As I read through this I’m feeling vindicated! OMG our 6 burner 36” gas range sounds like it’s going to take off! I absolutely hate it. The oven fan is so loud! We have made calls about replacing it with another manufacturer. But due to COVID you can’t get a delivery until February at the earliest!!

• Molly
    3 years ago

I had a service person out yesterday and they are replacing the whole "mother board" (not her terminology, my husband met her there and I didn't actually talk to her so I'm not sure exactly what she is replacing). I had other issues with it besides the noise, but hopefully, with the fix they have implemented, it will address the noise issue as well.

• Carl K
    3 years ago

@kennethcolorado I searched for the kit you described and can't find any information based on any of the numbers you listed. I would be interested in the instructions to better understand what is being done. I have an older 48" dual fuel that needs this fix! Could you post a photo of the instructions? If not I would gladly provide contact information.

Thanks - Carl

• Home cook
    3 years ago

@kennethcolorado thank you for sharing - I’m reaching out to my sales rep today. Would also appreciate if you could share instructions or other details via photo. I can also send you my email if that is easier. Greatly appreciate your comment on this thread!

• Carl K
    3 years ago

@Home cook did you hear anything from your sales rep?

• Home cook
    3 years ago

My dealer put in a request to Bosch and a tech came out last week (Also to check on a sound in our wine fridge). However, he said he was not aware of any work orders with any of the numbers mentioned above. He. suggested I call back to the service line and ask if they have that service kit. I have not called Thermador/ Bosch directly again. May wait till after Christmas. Would really love a way to quiet or lower that whistle coming from the back left fan / metal diverter. You can clearly see what appears to the culprit of the whistle, at least I know it is coming from that side for sure. The Tech warned not to try to do something myself or I risk voiding the warrant. form a functional standpoint the range works great and love the temp probe, but the whistle is very annoying for such a high price applianc. If I have any luck will report back. If you or Kenneth or anyone else has luck with a solution to the whistle please share! Merry Christmas!

• Molly
    3 years ago

Mine did not have a whistle sound but just a very loud fan noise. The whole "mother board" was replaced and something else with the steamer. It isn't quite as loud but still loud. Actually, the tech, as well as others I've talked to said that is the way most all new ranges are now because there is so much electrical/computer equipment in them. Good luck, sure hope you can find a solution for the whistle sound!

• JJ Mekai
    3 years ago

We're building a new home within the next 12 months. We had pretty much decided on Thermador wall ovens and the Freedom cooktop. That is, until reading this thread. Our kitchen will be open to our dining room and living area and super loud fan noise will not be acceptable. Has anyone replaced their Thermador ovens due to fan noise and if so, what did you replace them with that was quieter?

• Molly
    3 years ago

After several repair visits (some for the noise and a couple for other issues), I have learned that most all brands of high end ranges will have the fan noise as well. It was explained to me that since they have computer like electronics in them, the fan is needed to cool it down. I would have a conversation with a salesperson at a respected retail store (not a big box store) and ask their opinion on the noise level of the different brands. This is just my two cents.... someone may have a different experience.

• Molly
    3 years ago

JJ Mekai. The wall ovens are probably a whole different thing.... I don’t know anything about them, you might want to google that specifically.

• akrogirl32
    3 years ago

We returned a Viking induction range due to fan noise from the oven, and replaced it with a Miele. The fan noise in the Miele is minimal.

• lulu 3421
    3 years ago

Just finding this thread. We too have hated the sound of our Thermador oven. It is almost impossible to entertain and talk in the kitchen while the oven is in use and for about an hour after it is turned off. I would love to know of other 48 inch ranges that might be quieter. We have never had this issue with a standard-sized dual fuel range at previous houses.

• User
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I guess I'm going to be the only one to have a considerably different experience to everyone else. We recently took delivery of a 30" Thermador Harmony Pro gas range model PRG305WH/04. The oven fan comes on like everyone else's but the fan is fairly quiet and we can easily have a conversation at normal levels while standing right next to the range. I'm not sure if the new version of our range has some redesigned fan or not but my experience is very different than the comments here.

Edit: if you notice my model number has a 04 at the end. I took this from the sticker on the back of the range before it was installed. Based on when I registered my range on the Thermador web site it makes be believe that this is the 4th version of this model. This might account for an oven fan redesign.

• lulu 3421
    3 years ago

Just as an update, Thermador responded to my inquiry and told me that they did not have any ideas for solving the loud fan issue. They recommended calling serivce to investigate. We purchased our ours in 2017, and it has been loud since the beginning.

• baharefil
    3 years ago

UPDATE : They finally agreed to exchange the range. I have a new one now. Still have the noise but definitely not as loud as before. Still have an uneven baking problem. I don't call the service for that because their customer service is a joke and the only solution is not to have a thermador range at all.

• HU-778704860
    3 years ago

I'm going to piggyback on kennethcolorado comment. I have the same range (steam on left side and convection oven on right) and have the same issue presently. A combination of a whistle and an occasional rattle on the left most fan (middle and right fans are fine). I bought my unit on 4/18/2019. Model is PRD48WDSGU /01. Here is where my experience is different. When I first bought/used my right convection oven under all temperatures the left most fan would never got on (only the middle and right fans) so I only had to deal with the noise when using the steam oven which wasn't that big of deal. The middle and right fans are quiet and I would describe as normal for an oven.

This is where things change. I had an issue with the display push buttons and the technician came out and changed out both the convection oven and steam oven computer boards. Immediately I noticed the issue of the left fan (steam oven fan) turning on once the right convection oven got above 300 degrees and staying on until it cooled to 200 degrees. I told him that was not present before his change and was told there was nothing that could be done about it as the new boards were programmed to have all 3 fans turn on when the convection oven got to a certain temperature. I told him I didn't like this and it was unacceptable, but was told there were no "old" computer boards available anymore and I would have to live with it. Totally unacceptable.

Only thru this blog have I discovered there is a fix for this which I later mentioned to the technician, but of course he had never heard of it or the part etc. I was able to get ahold of someone inside of Thermador who knew of the issue and did verify the part existed. It is suppose to get installed within a few weeks, but I'm still frustrated. I would rather go back to how it was when I first bought the range which is the right convection oven would never trigger the left steam fan from turning on. Does anybody else out there still have this original configuration working? Also, if so, Thermador's fix there should be 1) the noise kit to reduce the steam fan and 2) change the boards back such that the left fan works with the steam oven and and the middle and right work for the convection oven.

• kennethcolorado
    3 years ago

I've been delinquent in uploading the instructions for the fix that the technician had. I have linked to it. (It looks like a bad scan but the original's quality was poor and in B&W.)

Thermador Service Kit 12030965 Instructions

• kennethcolorado
    3 years ago

In response to HU-778704860. Very interesting. PRDWDSGU/02, purchased early 2020. I had wondered why all three fans run. It appears from the temp coming out of the blower that the leftmost doesn't need to run with the right oven and vice-versa. I had assumed it was a dumb single thermostatic switch closing the circuit for all three fans but I guess not. I wonder if they can update the firmware? I also think the fan runs much too long -- it's blowing cool air by the end. A better design would have the fan speed vary with oven temp. I'd really like to hear from the engineers on these ovens.

Strangely one day only the left fan ran with the left oven (as I remember it). There was some other weirdness going on and I flipped the breaker and it hasn't done that again.

When the tech comes out for your fix -- my advice is to have him close up as many holes as possible. The instructions say something about not putting in the pieces where there are wires but I'd have some aluminum duct tape on hand and try to close up those holes too. If I had a patient technician (mine wasn't) I would ask if there is a service mode that runs the fans and then experiment.

• ryanr10
    3 years ago

Thanks Ken really appreciate these instructions. It seems pretty easy (It is more of a pain to get the range out). I agree about using the foil tape.

• Michelle Lambert
    2 years ago

I have my 36 inch dual fuel range for ten years. It was quiet until two years ago and now makes a high pitch sound when the oven is on. I’ve been told it’s normal, however I know it isn’t because it ran beautifully quiet for years!

• Michelle Lambert
    2 years ago

Any reliable technician in New Jersey?

• dunhamcd
    2 years ago

Having the same issue in Chicago. The technician I had out said that this is just the way it works. Any one in Chicago have a recommendation on a tech that is more helpful?

• lulu 3421
    2 years ago

I'm outside of Chicago too, and have asked 2 technicians ( I cannot remember the name of the service companies but they were the providers recommended by Thermador.) I would love to know if there was someone local who could fix this. Sadly, I've just been looking forward to replacing it, which is a huge waste of $.

• kennethcolorado
    2 years ago

@lulu 3421, @dunhamcd

I had a similar initial response from my technician -- who clearly just wanted to be done with me. To his credit, after I insisted to him that it was way too noisy he called Thermador and that's how he tracked down that fix that I have linked to in my other post.

My recommendation is that you call the dispatch for the repair company that Thermador referred you to and talk to the service manager. Tell him that you know there is a fix for this -- give him the relevant document/kit numbers and tell him it needs to be ordered and installed. Assuming you are still under warranty then the repair company should be getting paid from Thermador so shouldn't complain (unless they have a ton of non-warranty work that pays better).

• dunhamcd
    2 years ago

@kennethcolorado,

I appreciate the follow up. I will try that - I agree this seems like a good approach to trying to get the issue resolved. I will follow up if I have anything to add about my experience.

• digirati
    2 years ago

I will never buy Thermadore again. You can’t have a nice dinner and conversation with people while the oven fan runs for over an hour like the sound of a jet engine. Total garbage. Doesn’t cook very well either.

• Michael Mais
    2 years ago

We purchased a Thermador Pro Harmony 36 inch Range Model PRG366WH/03. Waited nearly 4 months for delivery. It was installed today and less than an hour after the installer left the fan came on and will NOT turn off. Got an error message on the front of the range instructing me to call customer service which I did. The customer service tech was VERY rude and unhelpful. Said she would send out a service rep at the earliest possible date which turned out to be December 9th. Mind you the range was delivered and installed today on 11/17/2021. Completely dissatisfied with this whole experience and wish I had seen this thread before purchase. Obviously, the fan is a very common problem so I fault the retailer who chooses to see this brand knowing there are major problems. Feel completely ripped off and the fan will NOT shut off which is driving us crazy. It is super loud. Cannot shut off the breaker as the Tech person suggested because it would affect other items in the kitchen. You suck Thermador!!!!

• dadoes
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Michael Mais, your range presumably does not require a 240v circuit or it'd be on a dedicated circuit breaker with nothing else involved. So it presumably is on a 120v circuit that also powers other outlets. You can't unplug the range? Realistically, any major appliance should be on a dedicated outlet regardless of 240v or 120v.

edited to revise: on a 20v outlet to on a 120v circuit

• kennethcolorado
    2 years ago

@dadoes@Michael Mais: I'll second what dadoes said. Can you call the retailer and explain that your brand-new range isn't working? I would think they have some avenue with Thermador to return it as a bad unit -- which might put some heat on Thermador to get a tech out to you.

Other options if you can't get to the plug: 1)power cycle the range using the breaker, 2)Get the oven up a reasonably hot temp (450) and then turn it off and see if it unsticks the thermostatic fan switch. 3)Disconnect it from the wifi*/remote control if it has that feature. There may be a "reset" option in the range menu that will do this. 4)If not connected to wifi -- connect it and see if it downloads a firmware upgrade.

*My range is the "connected" version. When I connected it to the wifi/phone last year there was an annoying loud clicking noise. that would go on incessantly -- whether we were using it or not. When I disconnected it from the wifi it would stop. This is with no cooking going on. I repeated this a few times with the same results. I suspected it's some software/firmware bug and decided to wait to call in the warranty service to give them time to get a fix. Also hoping in part hoping that the fan noise might have a new fix.

• Steve
    2 years ago

I urge anyone having this issue to try the repair kit mentioned above. I had such a horrible noise with my range that we actually ordered a new Wolf to replace it. Due to the pandemic, there is a 12 month wait to get the new one.

I decided to try this repair using the instructions linked above and just some aluminum tape from the hardware store. It worked perfectly!! we are now happy (enough) with the range that we canceled our order. its not silent, but the fan is exceptionally more reasonable now.

• sandra E
    last year

Is the noise still loud or are newer models quieter?

• Diane Delia
    last year

The THERMADOR DOUBLE OVEN I purchased 2017 IS A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT! The NOISY oven fan runs nonstop BLOWING HOT AIR! The oven has hotspots so it bakes unevenly. After several service calls the control board was fixed. Now 5 years later it stays lit constantly! My daughter has the Wolf brand and it's well worth the extra money!

• Barbara Herman
    last year

WE had the two fans replaced in our 2004 Thermador and the noise from the oven is now minimal.