Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanka_gw

Stucco is the wrong color.(pix)Photoshop help, squirrelheaven?

susanka
16 years ago

I was going to post on here tonight and ask for help with front-door and garage door color. Now that I went over to the house I believe they stuccoed it the wrong color. I called the contractor. He said to look at the bags of stucco mix. I did, and they say the color on them that we ordered. I'm sure there's an error; I have the color sample sheet we were given, held it up to the house, and it seems quite different. We can live with this pinkish color, but it's almost the color of the house next door, and it's not what we wanted. It would be a huge deal if they have to take the stucco off and redo it, right? Does stucco get darker after it's been on a while?

Secondly, I'd like ideas about color for the front door and the garage door. The front door glass will have a custom etching on it. I'm thinking it and the garage door should be the same color as the trim or else the color of the steps, or maybe a shade or two darker than the color of the steps, but I'm open to other suggestions. The pillars look lighter on this pic, but they're not, they're the same as the rest of the stucco.

So does anyone have any ideas on these two separate questions? Thanks very much for all your help all these months. I'm tired. Many of you probably are too.

Comments (21)

• susanka
    Original Author
    16 years ago

P.S. I know the front steps look way too tiny, although the pix are at unflattering angles. I hope to fix it with really nice plantings. I enlarged the deck in back where the main view is, and the patio, to 12x24 each.

• susanka
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, guys -- I have to go do battle on this, or not, in about an hour and 20 mins, and I have to get it done fast because I'm doing it on a coffee break. Any ideas or thoughts on this stucco problem?

The color samples we have has a disclaimer at the bottom that colors may vary. It also says a sample should be put on the substrate for owner approval before application. It's El Rey stucco, supposed to be Fawn, much more like Palomino.

Thanks again.

• dixiedoodle
    16 years ago

I don't think your stucco color is showing up very well on my monitor. You mentioned the "pinkish" tint that it has, and I just don't see any pink. I see orange, almost-tangerine so I don't know if my advice will be worth anything at this point. Based on what I am seeing, I would have gone darker (more brown than red) on the trim, and then would tie that color into the front door and garage door.
    Good luck with the stucco. I don't know much about the product, but hopefully, you'll either be able to live with the deviation in color or you'll be able to find a paint that you can use to make it exactly what you want!

• susanka
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, folks. I went over there already; guess we're going to stick with the pink. Too bad it's almost the exact color of the neighbor's house.

I'd still like some more thoughts on door color and garage door color. GC says if we paint the door the trim color it will be too prominent and heavy. Unfortunately, we had picked a buff color that went with the brown stucco we had expected. Now we have a mishmash of white, buff, terracotta, brown steps, and pink house. Sigh. I don't think DH can even think about re-painting the house at this point,we're already over budget so much.

Thanks again, all. Sorry the pix aren't better. It really is pink, not orange.

• charliedawg
    16 years ago

Susanka, I don't know anything about stucco so I can't help you there. I just wanted to say that I think the color is great on my moniter :) and I am in awwww of your view. That photo with the mountains and the storm brewing in the back is really cool.

• susanka
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, charliedawg. I think so too. GC just called; he said the stucco guy said our house is going to change from pink to brown and will be the color of a different house down the street with time. I can hardly believe it, it's a radical change. Maybe worthy or mightyanvil or someone will post that has seen this happen. GC said the stucco guy showed him his records for the house down the street, which is "fawn," just like ours.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Your pictures are very dark so I'm not sure if my amateur photoshop "paint" skills will be able to color correct but I will try in a few minutes. You may want to post this over on Decorating as Squirrel doesn't usually post over here.

As for your general question about trim and garage door, I had the same decision a few weeks ago. Almost everyone says not to make the garage stand out with a different color. You should keep it the same as the main body of your house. However, if you are not digging the pink, I think a nice Buff or off white would look great for both the front door and garage. I'll try to work something up if I can.
    Lindy

• susanka
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Lindy. The pix are dark, I know. I had just found out about the problem. I posted on the paint forum; I guess the first thing to find out is if the stucco will really change color. Thanks again for your help.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

I've had stucco homes before and they don't really change color once they are up. Sorry!

Here's a few quick tries at trying to get this color right. I tried more of a salmon color because pinks were just really bright on my monitor. Then I did a few with a little brown in it. You can always paint later...but I know you said hubby wasn't crazy about that idea. Very Pretty house with landscaping!!

Here you go:

{{gwi:1463747}}

{{gwi:1463748}}

{{gwi:1463749}}

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Here it is with a pink garage. I like the off white better!

{{gwi:1463750}}

• susanka
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, lindybarts. I think I do too. The door looks real blah though with just white. I'll try to take better pix. I have a call in to the stucco manufacturer to try to find out what color our house is actually going to be.

• oruboris
    16 years ago

Have you had a look with strong direct sunlight?

Few people realize how radically the color of light changes in the course of the day: pink at dawn, blue at noon, golden at dusk.

Our brains are actually wired to compensate for this, but the subtleties of color can still trick us, especially when the 'color of daylight' is even more exagerated by the weather or season.

I hate it when color charts have disclaimers like 'actual shades will vary': why bother with the chart, then? If the company won't step up, I'd paint it. This is a pretty big issue to try to live with, especially when it's so easily addressed.

• susanka
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, oruboris. I did look at it in the sun this morning. It's still pink. The chart had the disclaimer, but also said installer should do sample for owner. Unfortunately, I didn't see this earlier, and they didn't call me to come look at a sample.

• oruboris
    16 years ago

Personally, I'm OK with pink flowers, flamingos, and sunsets: aside from that, I find it utterly loathesome, and wouldn't live with it, period.

If I were on one of those 'Trading Spaces' type shows, I'd make it very clear that pink=lawsuit... not entirely rational, I know, but I really do hate it.

• newhome_sales
    16 years ago

Stucco can also be 'fumed' to change the colour. Stucco colours are highly influenced by humidity. One colour done on a humid day will look like a dark taupe; on a very dry day it might look like light grey. Some shades are worse for this than others.

If it doesn't eventually change colour on its own, I would ask your stuccoers if they can fume the stucco to try and adjust the shade.

• susanka
    Original Author
    16 years ago

newhome, hadn't heard of this; thanks very much. We'll wait and see.

• msh2000
    16 years ago

lindybarts, how did you do what you did in changing the colors of the house?

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

msh2000, I used the Benjamin Moore Paint program but you can also use the Paint program that comes with your computer..or photoshop!

:c)

• jeannekay
    16 years ago

Isn't the Benjamin Moor Paint program the best! I love it! I've "painted" every room in my current house!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Nice work Lindy! Sorry, Susan, never saw this -- probably because I don't come over to this forum :) It just turned up on a search.

Is that Susan in Kansas -- that's one stormy looking sky.