Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dougr2009

Help-Looking for 3rd party appliance warranty!

dougr2009
13 years ago

Hi

I just bought a fridge from Ikea's "as is" section - so no warranty of course. I remember reading about a company that does 3rd party appliance warranties on almost anything - I thought I had read about them here, around a year ago, but can't find anything about them now.

Anybody have any ideas? Oh and one more twist - I'm in Canada. That might not be an obstacle for a US firm.

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• maire_cate
    13 years ago

Check with GE - they've sent me brochures that say they will sell a warranty on non GE products.

• friedajune
    13 years ago

Unfortunately, GE that Maire_cate mentions has a poor reputation for servicing their extended warranties. One company that is fairly good is Squaretrade. You can get an instant quote on their website by clicking on "Get a Warranty" and plugging in your appliance model in the menu that comes up.

Note that extended warranties begin immediately upon warranty purchase. So if your appliance comes with a 1-year manufacturer's warranty, it's kinda wasted; or the 1st year of the extended warranty is kinda wasted. But that's just how it works. They dont' let you buy one after your manufacturer's warranty is over. If anyone knows of an extended warranty that starts after the manufacturer's warranty ends, please post.

Squaretrade reviews at Nextag

Squaretrade reviews at epinions

Squaretrade website

• friedajune
    13 years ago

Oh, sorry, I just read on Squaretrade's FAQ page: "The SquareTrade Care Plan is available to residents of Canada who purchase on eBay U.S. Purchasers should have access to a UPS store to ensure a quality experience at time of claim. Unfortunately we do not sell in the Canadian territories."

Perhaps go on epinions or nextag and see if you can find one for Canada.

• maire_cate
    13 years ago

I can only speak for my experience with GE. They replaced 2 GE appliances that were covered under my 5 year extended warranty. They replaced my trash compactor in year 4 because they no longer made the inexpensive clip that kept the door closed. And they replaced a side by side refrigerator because the refrigerator failed to stay below 40 degrees. It did take 5 service calls and several new parts were installed before they agreed to give me a new side by side. The compactor only needed 1 call - since they didn't have the part to fix it they had to replace it. Both appliances were replaced about 4 years ago.

• antss
    13 years ago

Third party warranties are losers. If you feel you must have one get it from the manuf of the appliance.

Better yet put a few hundred bucks in a rainy day accnt and don't tell yourself you have it. If the appliance needs service pay yourself.

• alwaysfixin
    13 years ago

If you feel you must have one get it from the manuf of the appliance.

Antss, can you explain a bit more? I had thought manufacturers do not provide extended warranties, but rather subcontract them out to 3rd party warranty companies. I.e. you are still buying a third-party warranty, and with it, any issues with the quality/integrity of that warrantor. But what I think you are saying is that you can get an extended warranty provided directly by, e.g., Kitchenaid? Is that right?

I am asking this because we just bought a KA DW, and were thinking of buying an extended warranty. Yes, your philosophy was correct a few years ago, when you could count on several problem-free years with most good-quality appliances. Now, that's not the case, even for the expensive brands. And though you've said it's better to put aside a few hundred bucks, I have also read that one service call can cost that, plus the parts, plus often they have to return with a part, or for a second service call, or a third, and therefore extended warranties are looking cost-effective given the track record of appliances these days.

• weissman
    13 years ago

Some manufacturer's do offer their own extended warranties - KA is one brand that does so - for several years after my purchases from them I would get cards in the mail offering me an extended warranty - now that the appliances are 8 years old the cards have stopped :-). By the way, I never purchased the extended warranty and never needed them. I believe that Miele is another company that also offers their own extended warranties. The manufacturer may contract out the work (beware of A&E) but they are still responsible for the warranty. If you buy a warranty from a 3rd party and they go out of business, you're SOL.

I still agree with antss that overall, extended warranties are a losing bet.

• dodge59
    13 years ago

It would help to know the brand and possibly the model Fridge you bought, some of our experts here more than likely will know the repair record of fridges of that type.

You would do well, "Right Now" to check out different service companies in your area. Find out what they work on, check for references (referrals etc).

I don't know if you saw Trailrunner's post about her ovens, but they were gonna send out a guy who couldn't even spell "Me Leigh" and He had already made a bad guess as to what the problem was.

If you get a 3rd party warranty, Said company will be choosing who they use to repair your appliances and not you. That would kinda make me nervous.

So Do a "Little Homework" now and save yourself some Time/Money and Grief-------down the line!!!

Gary

• dadoes
    13 years ago

I've also received service plan solicitations from KA.

Maytag Dependability Plus (aka Maytag Extended Service Plans) covers any brand, and Canada.

Carefully read and understand the terms of any plan. Some of them don't do anything unless the appliance is non-functional. For example, service may not be granted for a squeaking or grinding noise, which indicates something is worn and failing, until the machine completely stops working, at which point the damage may have gotten more severe than if the problem had been attended sooner.

• antss
    13 years ago

"But what I think you are saying is that you can get an extended warranty provided directly by, e.g., Kitchenaid? Is that right? "

Correct - but don't get too involved trying to figure out the ins and outs of these things as your head will explode. Extended warranties are a money loser for the buyer over the long haul. There are so many exclusions, limits, co-pays ect....They are a H U G E profit center for the sellers. However a lot of people buy on emotion rather than ration.

I disagree with you about the high line stuff also being less than reliable long term. Miele and Wolf have some of the best gear around top to bottom across the entire lineups. The others, well they make some good stuff , but also make some turkeys too and rest too much on their laurels.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks