Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homebase_gw

What are your storage plans for your master closet(s)?

homebase
16 years ago

Is anyone having their carpenter build custom shelving in the master closet(s)? If so, can you share pics or design ideas. All other related ideas are welcomed as well.

Thanks!

Comments (68)

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Zoe, Yes, I could do a mirror on the back of the door. That is a good option if I realize we need more clothing space once we really start planning that room. I believe we will have the trim carpenter build our closets.

I guess I've always loved high-end store dressing rooms, and I'd love to make my closet seem like you're in an awesome dressing room. Oh well.... I may have to go the mirror on the door route if I need more space. :O(

cynandjon~ what did you mean by "I would like a table"? Do you mean a table in your closet? Something that folds down on the back of the door? Sorry..... it's probably obvious to everyone else. :o) Just wondering what you have in mind. And what strange shape is your closet? :o)

• homebase
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, you all have some nice closets.
    MSM859, does your shoe rack/shelf system close?
    Allison, I like your wood floors too, what was installed first, flooring or shelving?
    Totally blessed, I would prefer more hanging space, but I think the mirror is super cool. Having a mirror in the closet seems very functional to me, but I agree with Cynandjon maybe on the back of the door. BTW, what size is your closet? If your closet is large then you could have a mirror like the one you've posted.

Here are a few progress pics of the work my trim carpenter has done thus far.

Double hang
    {{gwi:1483419}}
    Shoes
    {{gwi:1483420}}
    shelving
    {{gwi:1483421}}
    Drawer
    {{gwi:1483422}}

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Looks great!

Our wood flooring was installed first.

• sue36
    16 years ago

I have some questions for those of you with custom closets built or beng built.

Does anyone know the shelf measurements in their closet? How much space is there between shoe shelves? What angle is the shoe shelf at? How much space between sweater shelves? Etc. Also, how were the drawer sections made? Did they make the cabinet boxes and then order pre-made doors? How deep are the drawer sections? How deep are the shelf and hanging sections?

My carpenter is good at install but not design. I need to design it for him. Thanks.

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

homebase,

I'm not sure the measurements on our closet. We will be there in a few weeks and then I will remeasure for sure. :o)

Here's a photo of our closet. I am sorry it isn't a better photo. DH's study is in the foreground of the photo, and then behind the stud wall is our master closet. The entrance to it is to the right (into our bedroom).

{{gwi:1483423}}

I really wish dh would let me take out that stud wall and include his study into our closet space.... LOL! He is not hearing of that, although he does have most of the 3rd floor. I imagine he does not want to hike up and down the steps just to pay a bill, etc. I guess I can't blame him, but a girl can always wish.... :o)

By the way, you're closet is looking great! Your carpenter is doing an excellent job! Yah. :o)

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

homebase,

I'm not sure the measurements on our closet. We will be there in a few weeks and then I will remeasure for sure. :o)

Here's a photo of our closet. I am sorry it isn't a better photo. DH's study is in the foreground of the photo, and then behind the stud wall is our master closet. The entrance to it is to the right (into our bedroom).

I really wish dh would let me take out that stud wall and include his study into our closet space.... LOL! He is not hearing of that, although he does have most of the 3rd floor. I imagine he does not want to hike up and down the steps just to pay a bill, etc. I guess I can't blame him, but a girl can always wish.... :o)

By the way, you're closet is looking great! Your carpenter is doing an excellent job! Yah. :o)

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

homebase,

Here's a photo of our closet. I am sorry it isn't a better photo. DH's study is in the foreground of the photo, and then behind the stud wall is our master closet. The entrance to it is to the right (into our bedroom). I had thought to put the ornate mirror on that left wall of the photo (which would be straight in front of the doorway entrance to the closet). But as you can see, it is not a HUGE closet like some masters.

• homebase
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Totallyblessed, your closet looks like a very nice size. Using your DH office space would be awesome; you could put your mirror anywhere then. In considering the mirror, maybe you could put it on the same wall as the door. What do you think?
    BTW Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate my trim carpenter, he has really worked so hard in our house.

Sue,
    My trim carpenter just went off pictures I had. I didnt give him any specifics, sorry Im not much help. I will probably see him on tomorrow, Ill ask him then.
    HB

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

homebound,

Yes, I do wish I could hijack his study. I think he will notice. :o(

Sorry for the triple post. My computer was just sitting there and looked like it was frozen. So I finally changed the subject title, and then it appeared to post. Goodness.... I should be outlawed from computers.... he, he.

• msm859
    16 years ago

homebase -- actually the shoe shelves open up with double the shelves behind it -- you know like the movie Overboard. also on the right side is a built in iron with a full size mirror -- and the doors to the closet are actually 8' tall double bifold mirrors that are flush with the wall.

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Totally, at first at thought your closet was the room in front. The house going up across our cul-de-sac has a triple closet: three of your DHs study size areas in a row, across one end of the house. I wouldn't know what to do with a closet that big! lol She must be a clothes horse. Give me a t-shirt and a comfortable pair of jeans and I'm good to go....although I do dress a tad nicer for running to the store. ;)

• homebase
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Msm859, That's a neat way to take advantage of space, very cool - I see you like pink too :)

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

msm~ I forgot to tell you that your closet is awesome too! Glass doors and everything..... get OUT! :o)

Allison~ Wow.... I am not sure I could do a closet that size justice either. I dressed up WAAAAY more before we had children, but now with our horse and having kids, our lifestyle is much more casual. Me too... jeans and a cute t-shirt and I'm good to go.....oh, and some cheap flip flops from Old Navy..... LOL! :o)

Anyone else have closet photos to share? We could use even more inspiration....... :o)

• allison0704
    16 years ago

If no one is working over there today, I'll walk over and take a few pictures. ;)

• lisamerle
    16 years ago

msm, where are your birkenstocks? Probably on the other side of the closet. ( ;

Anyone willing to tell what their closets have cost in material and supplies?

--Lisa

• allison0704
    16 years ago

I don't think it was separate on the spread sheet, but I'll look later.

• msm859
    16 years ago

here is a picture of a mirror in the closet and the outside which are 8' tall mirrored bifolds

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

Oh Allison,

I hope no one is there today. I'm crossing my fingers.... I really want to see a closet that size. :o)

• allison0704
    16 years ago

LOL No such luck. They work almost everyday and nights until 6:30 sometimes. I'll try to watch for them to be gone at a decent time when there's still light. They are doing the cable/phone pulls so the sheetrock will be going up soon - won't be able to take pictures very well after that.

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Don't know how I missed your post with big mirror photo. I would love a huge mirror in my closet, but not as large as that one! lol DD2 has one hanging in her walk-in. Didn't take the place of anything - between shelves and hanging. It's in a nice frame, about 30" wide by 5 ft tall. Ordered from Spiegel years ago and was a decent price. The problem with the inexpensive door mirror (HD and Lowes) are they distort images so bad.

I've been cleaning out closets, I'll take a picture later and post (my new motto. ;) )

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

Allison~ Ha, ha. You are too funny. I can just see you running across the street in your dark sunglasses and a trenchcoat.... all to get your friends on GW a photo. :o) I double dog dare you...... he, he.

I like your new motto... picture and post. Yah! I gain so much help from photos.... descriptions just don't help me as much. :o) So post the nano second you get those closets clean. LOL!

If I find time this evening, I'll scan in a few photos from a storage magazine that I bought. They have some interesting closet organizers and such that might help some of us out.

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Part of the problem is a bought an Apple laptop. It doesn't have a slot to put in the camera chip and I'm too lazy to find the camera cord. I have to fire up the other laptop to upload photos. I bought a wireless all-in-one but for some reason I can scan to my Apple but not send pictures. *rolling eyes*

I told DH I needed to take a picture of the nieghbor's closet. He thinks I'm nuts. :)

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Feeling guilty for not getting the neighbors closet today, I took pictures of the guest room and DD2's old room.

The main level guest room has single on this side with the shelves and one shelf above. Double hanging on left side (no photo of that). Ignore my file cabinets. I do paperwork for our companies at the kitchen table and this is a great place for "things."

DD2's old room. I just moved extra pillows, blankets, etc here today. She lives in town. If DD1 wants to stay in this room instead of upstairs when she visits, I'll move things out of her way.

I really like the shelf above the bottom hanging rod. Came in handy for her when she lived here. Wish the other closets had them.

• demifloyd
    16 years ago

Totally Blessed, thanks--I don't have a mirror in the closet itself, but it is in the dressing room adjacent to the closet--similar to the size you posted. I LOVE the mirror and would rather have it than additional space. You have what looks like a huge closet--if you use the higher rod space for out of season and seldom used clothes, I would think you could go with the mirror.

• lorraineal
    16 years ago

We had our cabinet maker do our closet. He was only about 10% more expensive and
    created about a 10 times nicer product than the closet organizer company that we first looked at.

Taking a photo of the closet is tough because of the configuration -
    this is a composite of two photos to show both sides.
    What you don't see is the full height dedicated shoe
    shelves at the far end of the closet. *grin*

The cabinets are maple and the bars and shelves are fully adjustable.

The cabinets at the top allow for dust-free storage of seasonable items.

There is a doorway at one end from the bedroom and a pocket
    door with full length mirrors about midway down allowing
    access from the master bath.

The closet measures about 7.5'x20' and is 9'9" tall.

___________Left and-------------------------------------------------------------------------- right sides__________________

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

Allison~ You are so funny about "feeling guilty for not photographing the neighbor's closet today". Ha, ha. You know I'm dying to see that one!! :o)

I LOVE your dd2's closet. It is awesome. Do you know what is crazy? I TOTALLY forgot that I will need something in the FOUR bedrooms for our children. Each has a walk-in closet (2 of our younger boys will share one of the big rooms). And then I need guest bath storage on the 3rd floor. At least it won't have a closet up on the 3rd floor extra room.... just a huge armoire of some sort. :o) And then.... I need to plan for the pantry in the kitchen. Darn.... my budget just increased 10 fold.... he, he.

Anyhoo, thanks for working so fast so you could post photos of your closets. They look great. And more wood floors..... gorgeous!! By the way, who made your closet doors? I presume they are the same doors thruout the house? They are beautiful.... love the stain color~ very rich and yummy looking! Any info. you care to share on them would be welcome!!

Demifloyd~ Oooh... I LOVE your dressing room (and your mirror too!). You know, I REALLY really want a huge beautiful mirror in our closet. I hope that once I get to the house to measure the closet, and then fiddle around with the 2 rods, single rod, and shelving above, I'll find that I still have room for the mirror I pictured (or something very similar). If I can squeeze an island in there, I can then forgo the drawers along the wall (not into bedroom dressers AT ALL so I'm hoping to avoid one in the bedroom). If I can skip the drawers along the walls, I am thinking I should be able to do the mirror. OH, I'm hoping so. :) Thanks for your input. You have awesome taste, and I even told dh that your house is one I could just move right into with my suitcase and feel "at home". :o)

Loraaineneal~ Are you sure that photo isn't from a Ralph Lauren store? He, he. My goodness..... you closet is stunning! (with a capitol S!!).

I LOVE that you did enclosed cubbies above for dust free storage. That is a great idea.... I might have to steal that idea from you. And a full height shoe storage.... GET OUT!!!! it is just no fair that you didn't share a photo of that space.... you know we all want to see it!! LOL!

Your closet is beautiful.

I love that you can enter your closet from master bath or bedroom.... how awesome! Wish I could do that with ours. Instead I will have to trek across a football field sized bedroom (okay, sligh exaggeration) to get to the closet from the master bath. Since you are all so kind to share photos, I'll show you the distance between our closet and our bathroom. What were the original builders thinking?

Okay, this photo is taken in the master bedroom, looking towards the master bath. See the window towards the left of the photo? Well, continuing on down that wall is a set of french doors, another window, a bit of wall space, and finally our closet. Ugghh... I'd better buy some rollerblades (and then learn how to use them.... he, he).

{{gwi:1483432}}

Having a closet so centrally located to both dressing areas would be wonderful. You planned well Lorraineneal (and probably the rest of you too)!! :o)

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Your right, Totallyblessed, and thanks. Those are interior doors through out the house. 2 panel. Pine. Barnett Millworks, Mobile, AL. Bought them locally at a supply house. Stained SW Walnut Wainscott.

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

Hi Allison,

Thanks for the name of your door maker. We got quotes from 2 box stores for our interior doors. We just could not get someone local with a good reference, so we priced them from the box store. Not sure if that is a bad thing or not. I should start a thread asking about box store doors, I supppose. ;o) Anyhoo, thanks for the name of your stain. I LOVE it in the photos.... I'm gonna have to check that one out in person.

I presume the "coast is not clear" across the street yet? :o) he, he, he.

• allison0704
    16 years ago

We were outside just before 7pm and they were just leaving. Be patient! ;)

fyi, I'll be dining with my parents tomorrow evening.

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

LOL!! :op

• lorraineal
    16 years ago

"Are you sure that photo isn't from a Ralph Lauren store? "

It's funny you should say that - I've been joking that the
    closet looks like something out of a men's furnishings
    store ever since it was installed. *grin*

Here is a shot of the shoe storage sans shelves -
    the shelving (and I made sure we got plenty of extra shelves!)
    is totally adjustable, so I'm waiting till I move in
    to determine the best spacing.

With our particular floor plan layout, putting the closet alongside the bathroom
    also allows it to act as a sound buffer for the master suite.

(*can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!*)face=times new roman color=black size=2>

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

lorraineal: beautiful! Okay, the master suite needs a sound buffer for the usual reasons, but now I'm thinking more time is spent trying on shoes with various outfits. Oh, just how kinky does it get in the master suite?!

• lorraineal
    16 years ago

Maybe... it's to mute the noises coming from the other parts of the house....

After all, one would not care to be distracted when one is debating
    the merits of sandals vs mules, now, would one....

*grin*

• kellyeng
    16 years ago

And here I am excited just to have double rows of rods!

My closet is pretty tiny compared to the ones posted here but it's more than double what I have now so I'm pretty happy. I work at home so my wardrobe consists mostly of pajamas, capris, t-shirts and flip-flops! In fact I have about thirty pairs of flip-flops but they're stackable.

Lorraineal, the woodwork in your closet it amazing! Lots of great ideas everyone.

• homebase
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lorraineal,
    You have a wonderful closet, I'm sure organization will be a breeze.
    Allison,
    Your closets are nice too, looks like plenty of storage space. BTW, I'm waiting for the "sneak peek" too:)

Thank you all for sharing your ideas, this is great!

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

lorraineneal~ love the shoe "section". My goodness, can I come shopping in your closet? It really does look like a lovely Ralph Lauren store. ;o)

I'm with Kelly, our new closet will be much larger than our current one. And our kids will have ample storage space (they share ONE large closet now....arrrrrgggghhh). So really, even if I had one of those portable laundry baskets with the rod over top (you know, like in laundrymats) I'd be thrilled.... LOL. :o)

• lorraineal
    16 years ago

...if I had one of those portable laundry baskets with the rod over top (you know, like in laundrymats)...

You mean something like this?

Laundry Butler

• allison0704
    16 years ago

A friend gave me something like that for DH's laundry room (in our lower level). It's a rod over three hanging cloth hampers. He only puts clean clothes in the hampers. Very handy.

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

lorraineneal~ Thanks for the laugh... you are too funny to track one of those little carts down. That is exactly what I was referring to. I actually do like those carts! :o)

Allison~ You know how to design a house! Giving dh his OWN laundry room. You rock!! ;o)

• allison0704
    16 years ago

I got the pretty laundry room off the kitchen with the undercounter washer/dryer. He has the old, full size w/d in a storage room (has one furnace in there too). It's for his working out and working outside clothes. I do help do his laundry now and then. ;)

• andyk
    16 years ago

Thankfully my wife doesn't read these forums as I have plans for our master closet. It will double up as our server closet and structured media panel willbe in there. Neither my wife and I want to see any office equipment in view so we will have them set up in the corner of our master closet. The rest of the closet will be set up for our clothes though we need to find the right shelving system.

• ournewhouseinla
    16 years ago

How did yall determine the size and depth of the drawers? Our closet is 16feet long x 6 feet wide. I would like to have one side for hanging items and the other for drawers & shelves. But I am not sure if this is possible. Thanks

• sue36
    16 years ago

Based on my calculations, you could have drawers that are about 18" deep. Assume the side with hanging clothes is 24" deep, you then need a 30" walkway, that leaves 18" for drawers.

• rachelh
    16 years ago

Homebase can you provide the dimensions on your units, the width, height & depth of the dresser as well as the width of your shoe rack. They look really nice and close to what I have in my head for our closet. Unfortunately my head and reality don't jive sometimes.

Thanks!

• ournewhouseinla
    16 years ago

Thanks sue36!!!! You rock.

• homebase
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rachelh,
    I am going to the house today, I will get you the best measurements I possibly can.
    Hopefully I post today
    HB

• lorraineal
    16 years ago

FWIW - I do wish that I had integrated a bench somewhere in the closet -
    perhaps directly under the shoe storage - so I could sit down in the closet to put my shoes on
    instead of having to go back into the bathroom and sit on the deck of the bathtub.

The other thing would have been a dedicated cubby for a small step ladder for accessing the upper cupboards.
    (Although I will admit that I did think about putting in one of those rolling-library-ladders-on-a-rail thingies.) *grin*

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

lorraineal: In lieu of that integrated bench, which I'm finding a hard time fitting into our closets as we're planning them too, what about a small stool on casters that you can kick around to get it out of your way? Although, given my propensity to stumble/stagger around before my coffee, I might have to make that a slender office chair so I can hold onto the back before I try to lower myself onto it.

• amy719
    16 years ago

I love seeing your closets!! We have his and hers closets in the master, and I'm not satisfied with them (and we haven't even moved in yet). Our trim carpenter suggested a simple layout for rods and shelves, which looks great. Then I asked for shoe storage like rows of cubbies (meaning get more shoes in less space). He put in a slanted shelf along the baseboard. He was so proud of it, I didn't have the heart to tell him that it wouldn't meet my needs. Now, I'm kicking myself because I'm too wimpy to insist that he rip it out and redo it. Also, the floors have been finished now. I'm to the point where I have to pick my battles.

Anyway, our best storage plans for our master are to de-clutter before moving in and to keep as much as possible in our huge cedar closet (for out of season clothing and shoes).

• homebase
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rachelh
    Here are the dimensions:
    Drawer - Size: 33.75x17.5x51.125 (Width x Depth x Height in inches) Built in drawer from local wood store - Manufacture site below.
    The shoe rack and shelves are about 4 feet wide.
    3-4ft of both double hang and single hang (on sides of drawer).
    I hope this is helpful
    HB

Closet Progress pics ~ Paint

{{gwi:1483435}}

{{gwi:1483436}}

{{gwi:1483437}}

{{gwi:1483438}}