Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbie1000

comparing porcelain tiles-similar but different price

debbie1000
13 years ago

I'm looking for 20 x 20 beige-ish porcelain floor tiles with movement (I call them "swirls")for about 2000 square feet. I have narrowed it down to three slightly different porcelain tiles from three different places. I really could be happy with any of them but the prices are different.

Is there a quality difference in the tiles? They are all rectified porcelain-not ceramic. The prices are 2.00, 2.50, and 3.50 per square foot.

Each place told me there is no difference in quality, it is just design, etc. The hardness and quality is the same and none are "seconds."

Is that accurate? Is the cheaper one also cheaper quality? Is there something else I should be aware of? Also all of these are smooth on top, not the kind with "dings" although they look similar to that. Thanks! (also posted on flooring forum but this one gets more activity)

Comments (7)

• MongoCT
    13 years ago

Porcelain is porcelain. Rectified is rectified. If they also have the same hardness/wear rating, etc, the same thickness, the only other thing I'd be concerned with off the top of my head would be the repetition of pattern throughout the boxes if there is one.

Some tiles have a limited number of individual tile "patterns" within a series. With a large expanse of tile flooring you want to make sure there are a sufficient number so you don't see a repetitive pattern of like tiles dancing across the floor.

And the quality of the pattern, depending on how the "swirls" are made. Though I haven't seen this in a few years, a while ago some lesser priced tiles would have the design silk screened on top, and if you looked with a critical eye you could see the subtle mesh pattern from the screen.

Again, that's dependent on the design being printed.

With them all being rectified, uniformity of size should not be an issue.

Bill or Shaughnn might have better info for you, they know a heckuva lot more about tile quality than me.

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    13 years ago

I guess the last thing to look at is "Calibre." In other words, are the sizes consistant? Take 6 or 8 tiles and stack them on end...rotate a few of them. Are the edges the same or can you feel variations in size? The cheaper tiles often are as much as 1/8" difference. If there is a considerable difference, your tile man will be "Hating life" in trying to get consistancy with the grout lines...

• debbie1000
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. I just spoke to another tile person today and he mentioned that. Said that some tiles are made in China and the dimensions are not always consistent. He said tiles made in Spain or Italy are considered "better."

Interesting that the cheapest one of the bunch doesn't have where it was made stamped on the back of the tile. I'll need to go back to the store and see what I can find out.

• shaughnn
    13 years ago

Laz,
    BuddysMom stated in the original post that all of the tiles she is considering are "rectified". "Calibre" tends to indicate the degree of quality; usually indicating "Firsts".
    Shaughnn

• ritaps
    12 years ago

www.louisvuitton30.com offer Cheap Louis vuitton Louis Vuitton Rivington PM
    ,Vuitton Rivington,Rita bag

Here is a link that might be useful: www.louisvuitton30.com

• myinstylesshoes
    11 years ago

Handsome is an attractive word for men but some women also like it.How can women be handsome?With high-heel?It is elegant.WithNike Shox!It can be more mandish.

nike shox nz womens shoes modelshox70215 who can deny its manhood.The total leather upper,EVA side and soft rubber outsole.Walk with it is more than comfortalbe.The pure black with grey lines and purple nike logo shoes its nobleness and power.

Walk with energy and work powerfully,enjoy cheap nike shox ,enjoy strong feelings.

It's writes by MyInstylesShoes date 5.15.2012.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.myinstylesshoes.com