karakell_gw

Mitch Ginn Elberton Way photos and feedback?

karakell

We have chosen Southern Living's Elberton Way to build and broke ground in July! I am wondering if there is anyone out there with this plan who might be willing to share photos and/or give your honest feedback. Any suggestions? Things you love? Or things that you would change? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

• tonya_wimberly

333jmj What is the brick color on this? It looks like Silver Creek by Acme. Is that right?

• 333jmj

It is Oyster Bay by Triangle Brick Company

• 333jmj

just saw another pretty and similar brick when double checking the name,

Oyster Pearl by Pine Hall Brick

• 333jmj

Here is a better picture as the mortar dries

• Amy

Are you going to do the outside fireplace in brick or stone or something else? We are doing an all brick Elberton Way and can't decide about the porch fireplace.

• 333jmj

We are going to use stone for the outdoor fireplace and use the same stone for the indoor fireplace. We were going to use stone on the front of the house but at the time we had to make that decision we couldn't find a stone that we liked enough to cover the entire front of the house.

• Amy

Thank you for the quick reply. I would love to see the stone fireplaces once they are layed. I really want stone on the exterior fireplace but wanted to be sure it didn't look funny being the only place stone is used.

• 333jmj

That was my concern too. I'm also going to put stone around the bottom edge of front porch.

• 333jmj

I'll post fireplace pictures when available. Some other advice that I received(that I thought was good) whs that exterior will continue to improve(colors will look different etc) once you get landscaping.

Hey guys! In north Louisiana here and would love to see and have feedback, advice on building this home and any changes made. @333jmj your home in BR is beautiful. Any finished phots?

• Staci Yakimovicz

Hi from Shelbyville Ky. We are in the process of making changes to the original plan, Has anyone closed the upstairs railing with a wall so a door could be put at the top of the steps? We have grown children in military and don't need upstairs for everyday use, so we would like the option to close it off so we are not heating/cooling all the time.

• 333jmj

Not finished yet. Here are photos of a few things we changed from original plan. We used arch with bullnosed edge instead of trimmed openings in a few places

• 333jmj

To the left side we added windows at the corner of the kitchen(I think there was a pantry there). So now we can see outdoor fireplace from kitchen. And we are putting a booth under the windows. I'll show picture when finished.

• 333jmj

Upstairs we shortened the dormers so the room is larger but it has a lower ceiling toward the dormer(we did 10 foot ceilings upstairs). We have a little barrel ceiling above the small dormer with a window seat.

• nhb22

I was so sorry that after reading and studying this thread for almost a week, it appears dead. :(

We are considering building a modified plan of Elberton Way. I am very intrigued by the banquette that 333jmj was putting in her house in place of the pantry. If you are still around, I would love to see some photos of your new house.

Thank you to all that participated in this thread. I have learned so much. Beautiful homes!

• 333jmj

I'll have photos this weekend

• nhb22

Wonderful...thank you so much!

• 333jmj

I modified a chest of drawers for a vanity

• 333jmj

Back Porch · More Info

Hi nhb22, The booth seating is to the left(I think where the pantry was on the original Elberton Way plan)

• 333jmj

Back Porch · More Info

Here are the additional windows around the banquette. I'll try to take a picture in daylight so that you can see the fireplace through the window.

• 333jmj

Back Porch · More Info

Here is where I placed the pantry.

• 333jmj

Back Porch · More Info

• 333jmj

Back Porch · More Info

It looks like I can seat at least 5 to 10 people around this table depending on how many chairs I want to pull up on the free sides.

• nhb22

I am going to study these more in-depth tomorrow night. I have my grandchildren with me this weekend.

I like what I see so far. Love the banquette! I'd like to do the same, but really want a walk-in pantry. We are using the Butler's pantry and hall closet area to enlarge the dining room. I'd have to find a new place for the pantry if we added a banquette.

Questions: Are your ceilings 9' or 10'?

Is your vanity in the Master?

And did you widen your family room floor plan?

• 333jmj

10 foot ceilings down and upstairs. That vanity is in the 'powder room' which is the bathroom that is behind the stair case on the first floor. We kept living room dimensions the same as original Elberton Way plan to my knowledge but we had local architect redo so it may no be exact(but we did not ask for a larger living room). I'll take a picture of the inside of pantry. It is walk in but all the space for butler's pantry and hall closet go into this pantry(dining room as per original plan)

• 333jmj

I knew that I was not going to have the large kitchen table running parallel to the island like you see in most Elberton Way pictures. And we knew that we would not want to be eating all meals in the dining room so we decided on the booth seating.

• 333jmj

Back Porch · More Info

I'll take a picture after they remove that paint from French door windows(beware, painters painted ever thing in sight including French doors which were to be stained). But it will be nice to enjoy the front porch even more from the inside with windows there instead of pantry.

• 333jmj

Pantry interior

Back Porch · More Info

• nhb22

I really love all that you have done! Thank you so much for the photos and answering my questions. Another one. Did you have to replace the doors that the painters painted? What type wood were you using? I love the look of the stains door, but worried about them swelling and sticking during humid weather.

• 333jmj

They removed paint but have not stained yet so I'm not sure how it will pan out. Doors are Anderson and clad on exterior(large variety of colors available( because I did not want to deal with weather/upkeep issues. Only interior is wood. I chose pine(several options available) due to cost and no reason to have a certain type of wood. With the clad the door comes with tri-lock mechanism which is more secure. All wood door does not come with tri-lock. You are welcome!

• nhb22

Great information!

We have an all wood Mahogany front door that is somewhat protected. No warping issues, but the door, after 12 years, needs to be re-stained on the outside. I dread having that process done, and the reason it has not been taken care of earlier. Should we build and move, that's a must!

With stained doors in the back of the house, I was worried about the sun exposure because the doors would probably have all afternoon sun. Clad makes sense. I didn't know about the clad on one side and wood on the other. What height doors did you use? Also are your windows Anderson? We have Anderson and have not been that pleased with them.

Thank you for those tidbits. Hope your doors turn out nicely.

And now to look up what "tri-lock" is. lol

• sweetisabelle

33jmj, love your nook! May I ask what size and brand windows you used? Are these mulled? thanks!

• 333jmj

nhb22 I've heard that restaining is easy if done by someone who is familiar- dones't take much time. But DIY would be a project. doors are 8 foot. what problems did you have with your Anderson windows? Just so I know what to look for! bellinghambythebay, Anderson windows. Not sure the exact size there, I can look at plan. Just what fit there per architect.

I do believe that they are just two windows placed together to look like one unit.

• nhb22

They are double hung. We have seen seal failure. Not tight and leaky. Some windows get foggy.

They do not seem to be well insulated and we hear outside noise quite well.

We have the type that can open out for cleaning. We only tried that once because the string broke in one, and others were hard to close back. Got off track.

I realize that there may be different types/grades of Anderson windows. Ours are builder grade, I am sure... already installed in a new build when we bought the house. We had no choice. However, our experience with another builder grade window was good. We have also used Marvin with excellent results.

I am not positive, but there does not seem to be a double hung window in your house plan. I am sure your windows are a better grade, as well.

As for the front door being re-stained, we would never attempt to do ourselves, but have been told that the door needs to be taken off and finished off-site. A large piece of plywood would be placed over the door opening while the door is gone. We have a dog that uses the door constantly. :)

• hallowdm

Glad to see the discussion is still live. I was curious if anyone is currently building this house in or near Georgia. We are in the Athens, GA area and would like to see the house close-up. Thanks!

• R Jones

Hi, we are finishing up our Elberton within the next month in Monroe.

• bonniehwrd

We are right outside of Athens and have been in ours for a year now. Feel free to email me. You are welcome to come take a look! Bonniehwrd@aol.com

• hallowdm

@R Jones could you provide me with an email address where I could contact you...we would love to see one being built.

• nhb22

Have any of you that have built this house ever downloaded the PDF Study Plans from Southern Living? They are just $9.99, but I wonder if they show anymore detail, like room sizes, other than what I can see online. I have a hard time reading some of the measurements, and some room measurements are missing.

There is also another SL house plan, The Camilla, that I am interested in. That plan shows some measurements for the house, then there is a video outlining some of the rooms, and those measurements are a bit different. I am confused.

We really don't want to order either full set of plans, as yet, because of the expense. I am hoping that the Study Plans may show correct measurements. If we have more precise measurements and decide which house plan will work, we can order the full plans.

• Charlene

RJones are you in Monroe NC or GA? I am in SC and would love to see Elberton way near completion.
    please email me mikchar@msn.com.
    thanks

• 333jmj

nhb22 re: the PDF study plans for $9.99. the first picture in this thread is from that PDF. PDF also includes upstairs drawing and front/back/left/right elevation pictures.

• nhb22

Thanks. That's basically the same as I can find online without paying.

See the below link to the plan of the Camilla house. It does not give the dimensions of the L shaped area off of the dining room, or the breakfast window area. Nor the laundry room. And is the back hall part of the family room dimensions? That sort of thing is hard when trying to figure out if a plan will work.

http://houseplans.southernliving.com/plans/SL1523?index=1&search%5Bplan%5D=Camilla&search%5Butf8%5D=%E2%9C%93&search%5Bvendor%5D=

• R Jones

nhb22. I can't help you with the Camilla, but let me know what dimensions you need from the Elberton and I will sent them to you.

Just looking at the link on the Camilla, it looks like to me the laundry room is about the same size as the office and the butler's pantry is a little smaller than those. The breakfast area looks to be about twice the depth of counters. If any of that helps...

• nhb22

Thank you so much. I'll take a look at the plan when I return from a trip on Thursday.

As for the Camilla plan, you think like me. I have been measuring one area to come up with the dimensions of other areas. I would still like more precise measurements. Again, what the Camilla plan shows is slightly different than what I am reading on a video of the house plan. I should probably just email Stephen Fuller.

• nhb22

I was looking at the following listing of this build. I know the builder added a garage to the end of the kitchen (which I do not like the light being cut off because of lack of windows on that end.) Is it just the photography, or does the kitchen/family room area look narrower than the plan shows? Seems like some of the homeowner photos shown on this thread also have wider looking rooms.

Elberton Way Listing

• nhb22

R Jones - Is your home finished? Would love to see some photos, especially of the kitchen and living areas. ;)

• R Jones

Will try to add a link to photos that my builder took prior to us moving in. It is still chaos right now with boxes, etc... I added 2 ft to the kitchen to extend it, other than that, the family room area is per plan.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k8r1z1e3136hsse/AADi10SOOhfYS1eyumEB_NASa?dl=0

• nhb22

Thanks so much! I didn't expect to get a reply for quite a while, if at all. :) You must have something set up to alert you to new post. I should figure out how to do that. Anyway, I cannot wait to get a look at the photos. Thanks for the tip on the Kitchen extension. I have really struggled with the sides and having enough room for a fridge and a range. I want to have my sink looking out the back with 3 windows instead of range being there.

• nhb22

333jmj - How about your progress? Have you finished your build?

• nhb22

R Jones - You have a beautiful home. And the outside finishes are similar to what DH and I plan with a future build (should we ever get some original deed restrictions dismissed from the lot we plan to purchase.) YIKES!!!

My DH and I noticed that the toilet room is missing in your Master bathroom. You may have address that in an earlier post, but I have forgotten. Did you put the toilet in the linen closet?

Also, would you happen to have outside photos of the other end/side of your home (where the M. bedroom wing is)?

Love your doggy door! Does it have a locking mechanism to keep raccoons from coming into the bedroom at night?? GRIN