nuevomex1

infestation of little black bugs

nuevomex1

About a month ago I noticed a few tiny (about the size of a whole pepper grain...the kind you use in a pepper mill). They have a hard shell. They are primarily in the window sills but seem to gravitate to the kitchen sink. Sometimes (twice, I think) I have seen them flying, but usually they are dead. We have no idea where they are coming from. They just appear. Probably the window but don't see them come in. Any ideas? Thanks

• mccampbell60_hotmail_com

We had what sounds like the same bug, usually on our stove, which is under a window. We moved the stove away from the wall and they were all over, and lots of webbing was there - even what looked like small egg sacs of the type spiders have. We vacuumed and used insecticidal soap to wash things down before putting the stove back in place. Even though they haven't caused a problem, it was disgusting to see that we apparently were breeding them. I hope that they are gone now!

Best Answer
  • Rio Yamazaki

First hand experience with the tiny black bug that looked like termite but very small. First noticed it when i moved to my new apartment. Didnt noticed it at first because it were so tiny. when i looked very hard then it was clear as day. Thousands of them on my wall, ceiling, bedroom,kitchen,bathroom. Must look very hard before you can see it but once you noticed it, you will get addicted in killing it. And believed me, you better act fast before it turn on you. I spend 3 months trying to wipe out the whole population, numbering in millions i think - using vacuum, insect spray, bleach, broom, menthol oil and many other method only to find them getting smarter with each new generation that came after i killed most of the old one. From tiny black coloured that move slowly to more transparent in colour before became invinsible altogether. The latest generation that cannot be seen with naked eye@invinsible even it were moving on any white surface is the most troubling scenario but not as lethal as it ancestor whereas i lose sleep for almost a month, became trauma to even step inside my own bedroom. And trust me, this little annoying fuckers do BITE. And it was NASTY when it attacked to your skin. Even just a touch from this bugs can cause serious damage to the skin. My whole body from leg to my arm was full with the bite mark. The itchiness was unbearable before leaving a hole where it bite or landed. My doctor had to issued a painkiller that usually given to patient that suffered from acid burn just to reduced the pain and itchness. After the first initial attack on my body, i sworn vengeance. I studied the damn bugs closely to find answer in ways of defeating them. When the first time i was attacked, i didnt know what was happening. I woke up in the morning with swollen skin all over and terribly itchy. I thought i was having skin problems but after consulting various medical profesional, the answer remain the same - either i was bitten by bedbugs or mosquito or even i was on the early stage of psoriasis but i didnt buy it. One thing i am sure was, during my sleep i can feel like something brushing my leg or arm - like an insect flying pass or ant crawling feeling. When i turn on the light there was nothing so i would just go back to sleep only finding out in the morning i had small swollen skin that itchy with a tiny puncture mark. I quickly suspect the bugs that i saw moving around on my ceiling which i purposely let it alone all this time. A few nights later, i went to bed, switch off the lights and lay down, waiting. After 30 minutes i can feel the tingling sensation on my leg - (i never use blanket) as if something was brushing lightly on my leg. Few seconds later the stinging pain and tremendous itchiness on my leg. I jump up, switch on the light and start looking. I found 3 tiny bugs on the floor hurrying away towards the opening underneath my wardrobe. I squished it all with my fingers. When you killed it with your fingers- since the bugs were so tiny, it caused black splotch marks instead of bloody red. If you choose to terminate it by fingers while it moved on your wall then soon your entire wall would have the black marks, dirtying the walls. And it doesnt came off easy. I killed hundreds that moved around and my entire apartment walls and ceiling became incredibly filthy with all the blacken residue. I inspect closely on my walls, there was evidence of tiny holes everywhere i looked. This bugs were drilling holes everywhere it went. That why this bugs were on the walls and ceiling. It were not living on our walls but instead it were drilling into our walls so it can live and lay eggs on it. Thats explain the excruating pain when it bite on our skin as if being scalded by acid. This bugs were equiped with acidic saliva or something that can even burned through cement walls. Now i still fought with this evil bugs daily- a year since. I managed to terminate around 90% of this fierce tiny bugs. I had repaint my apartment, chemical spray whole place but still new batch keep coming. And it can became smarter believe me. Now the newest bugs that exist were those survive from the holes that were dug by earlier bugs and it were super clever. It can turned invincible because it knows it were being hunted. Nowadays i also became more equiped in hunting them. I make myself a fire torch that i tied to a selfie stick that can collapse into short or long stick so i can burn this bugs no matter how high it hide. Invincible or not, it all burned. Vengeance almost serve. Beware- the bugs that were on your ceiling will come down and prey on you while you are asleep. Imagine this - it were moving on top of you, on your side, on your bed and pillow without you knowing. Some might fall from the ceiling landing on your face and some might creep into your body cavities like ears and nose. During my assault on this bugs, i found some of it will throw/hurl itself towards me, landing on my hair and neck before trying to creep into the ears. I covered my head with industrial helmet with face cover and wears white coveralls when i am on my routine bugs bust. Try it and you will find lots of it landed on your helmet or coveralls. Remember that if it touches your bare skin especially behind the neck area, the itchiness would be tremendous. Followed by sharp pain before become swollen. Quickly rinse with water. Do not scratch. Once scratch, you can never stop until your skin bloodied and break. I found that using chemical cant stop this bugs. Only fire can killed it completely. Do not use lighter, the heat will make your walls or ceiling blackish.

-the holes dug by the bugs to lay egg-

What’s wrong with my succulents?!

Hi! It looks like they might have some sort of pest infestation. I would quarantine them from your other plants and treat them with some neem oil. I'm not the most knowledgeable about succulents, but the folks on the Cacti & Succulents forum might be able to help you out if you post your question there. I hope this helps and good luck! Have a nice weekend! damask_rose_5 : )

Peninsula too long for one slab

Designing your space can be overwhelming and every new opinion makes you wonder what to do. I am not licensed in anything, but I have designed two of my own kitchens and am embarking on it again, so I'm sharing some of my current research. I like to be budget conscious and I love peninsulas, but I am not fond of islands. Erasers are much cheaper than change orders. Use some graph paper to design your dream layout. You are embarking on a HUMONGOUS project. Work with the design until you are comfortable. My thoughts are going to be lengthy, but they are from my heart and I hope you will take the time to read them. You are spending a fortune to put on an addition and redesign the kitchen/dining room. You appear to be going for an open floor plan. The general idea of it is lovely, but, in my opinion, there are some needed changes. Have you asked yourself (write down the answers): how do you like to cook? Entertain? Bake? Store food? Have your morning beverage? Are kids involved? Do you use a microwave a lot? Who is short and who is tall? Are there other limitations? Are you planning on living there for many years? If you had $1M for this project -- what would you want? What's your most important priority? A cantilevered bay is not included in square footage of your house. I would seriously consider taking it out and making it a flat wall. This eliminates many headaches. Put a casement window in that flat space. Use the windows from the cantilevered space in the new area if they are appropriate. Make the two windows in the kitchen be the same size even if one is casement and one is single hung. You'll like the end result much better. You will not be comfortable at that sink when you need to open the dishwasher and put things in it. By removing the cantilevered space, you can now put a useful easy reach corner cabinet instead of what appears to be planned there (it doesn't look useful). You do not need custom cabinets and that will save you a lot of money. I have recently researched about 40 different cabinet brands and I'm going with Starmark. I do not get paid to mention the brand. It's just the one I found to have the most bang for the buck. They seem to have a great reputation, be well-built, reasonably priced, have all sorts of options as standard, and the company will customize its standard cabinet to your needs. They have all the soft-close hinges, bread boards, base can cabinets, pantry cabinets, etc. that you can dream of and, as I said, will customize as needed. Go with fewer cabinets, but larger and get dividers for drawers as needed. If you get a Lazy Susan cabinet, definitely spring for the wooden "super Susan" instead of the plastic one -- you will not regret it. Any base cabinet that is not drawers, get pull out trays even if you add them yourself. Make sure any drawers are FULL extension drawers. I think you need to allow at least another foot between the peninsula seating and the back of the couch so there is room to walk by someone seated. If you've removed the cantilevered space and made it a flat wall, you could easily shorten the run that the sink is on to make that extra space without enlarging the addition. Have rounded corners at the end of the peninsula so it doesn't hurt as much when you bang into them. Perhaps consider a raised breakfast bar on that peninsula so that dirty dishes aren't viewed from the new family room. Move the dishwasher to the right of the sink and put what looks to be a microwave in the peninsula cabinets closer to the dining area. This way nobody is running in to the kitchen as far to use the microwave, your dishwasher can be open while you are at the sink, and there is no splashing of the cabinets while putting the dirty dishes into the dishwasher. I'm probably being dense, but I cannot figure out where your refrigerator is located. What I will say about the fridge is you will be having permits to remodel and put the addition on. Most jurisdictions require counter space within a certain number of inches from the refrigerator as landing space. It is also required for stoves. You will have to adhere to the newest codes to pass inspection and even get the permits. Your new stove looks crammed and uncomfortable to cook at. I would put in a cooktop or range top approximately where the prep sink is and use a downdraft system behind it so it can be in front of the window. The downdraft system (where it comes up from the counter) will prevent splatters on the window if it is sized properly. Where you have the range currently located, I would put a wall oven, double wall oven, or oven/microwave combo. It won't interfere with anyone walking through the door and won't interfere with you cooking. Check out Thor and Frigidaire for reasonable options (again, just going by what I've been researching and I've had expensive ranges in the $7K+ price, but won't this time). You'll also gain more landing space. The prep sink could be moved to the peninsula near the end where it could be useful for parties with the microwave to the right of the new prep sink location if you don't do the wall oven/microwave combo. Don't forget lighting. Recessed for the main part of the kitchen, spot lighting over the sink, pendants over the peninsula (probably three and they should not hang in front of the seated person's face but between where 2 seats would be), and possibly a strip light under the cabinet between the windows. What I believe to be a center wall between the dining area and kitchen work area could be outfitted with the microwave (as an alternate location) and somewhere there needs to be trash/recycling. That's a lovely space for it (and there's a cabinet for it, too). Do you have pets? The above spot could host a feeding area for them . . . If the end of your peninsula has the column, then make sure the column looks substantial and perhaps put artwork on it, a message center, etc. If you did the raised short end of the peninsula facing the dining area, I would keep it the same height as the raised breakfast bar (if you decided to go that route) and have what appears to be an opening in the center wall also be the same height. It gives the eye a more balanced look and the design more calming. Also, don't forget electrical outlets. Unfortunately, the ones that come up from the counter are very expensive in my opinion (close to $1,000 each plus installation). You can have them installed in drawers (also not cheap) or on the wall (backspash) of a raised breakfast bar. I'm not sure how it's done on a level peninsula, but you need to figure it out before you build! Okay, so I've gone on and on and on and haven't said a word about your quartz counter. I, too, am leaning towards quartz. Just make sure you look at the fabricator's picture of what the seams will look like. That will ease your mind. I would put the seam on the main sink area if possible. I wish you the best. If you aren't moving out during the remodel, then set up a temporary kitchen area somewhere to save your sanity. Make sure they close off with plastic to minimize the dust and expect it to take 3 months longer than is estimated. Keep us posted!

Newly renovated powder room

Although it might not be too obvious in the photo as the lighting distorts the tones the tiles are taupe and grey ... the walls tone in ... want an all neutral look with the dark oil rub bronze ... shower, shower door handle, faucet and sconces. ...what I can easily change is the color of the vanity I can replace the mirror. I had considered removing all the detail from the vanity so it would be cleaner and more simple.

Den Makeover- Calling on all experts

I like your cases obviously, but the desk is a bit darker, and with heavy light, has masculine vibe - for the desk idea: Rust-Oleum® Chalked Ultra Matte Paint creates an ultra matte finish with superior adhesion and coverage. It rejuvenates furniture and home décor with timeless elegance. It can be painted or distressed, giving any project a one of a kind look with a vintage feel. •Light tint base One coat coverage on many surfaces •Indoor use Low odor •Dries to a velvety smooth finish, and Easily distressed For Best Results lightly scuff high gloss surfaces with sand paper or a sanding sponge. Apply 1-3 even coats 30 minutes apart. https://www.houzz.com/products/rust-oleum%C2%AE-287688-chalked-ultra-matte-paint-30-oz-light-tint-base-prvw-vr~155645314
  • Audrey

Hi, I live in (Southern) California. I've been reading through all the comments hoping to find answers to a major problem in my home that is very similar to some here. Mine all started with our pest control man power spraying underneath (outside) our home about 3 months ago for the (large) cockroaches (yes, some with wings)! that were coming inside our home and becoming unwelcome guests on a nightly basis. (We have a crawl space under our home). The roaches then decided to flood into our home and therefore I went into rambo mode and was kiliing upwards of 10 per night to discover they were coming from under the fridge where the lightplate switch was left off. I promptly fixed this and no more roaches! Then, the popping/clicking noises started in the carpets/near the baseboards. From 1 room to the other. We weren't sure if the noises were in the walls or the carpets (if these were more roaches, babies, etc.) Then, I started to itch, night after night. It was if something was on my skin and scalp (invisible dust-like) particles. Felt as if something was jumping on me and I could hear noises coming from the carpet and around my bed area. This kept me from sleeping and I was averaging 2-3 hours sleep per night. I turn on the light and flashlight to see little black dots all over my bedding and room. Some are right next to me. The dots don't seem to move (motionless) and when I run my hand on the rest of my bedding area after the popping and jumping ends, my bedding feels grainy (sandy) and has these white microscopic things next to the black dots? They (black dots) range in size from pepper to small oval (flat disk like) My bed, pillows, comforter, blankets, surfaces, etc. This has spead to the whole house now being 3 months later. I have tried "literally" everything: 3 bombs (in 1 room), Carpet powder for fleas, etc, Carpet sprays, Diatomaceous Earth, Baking soda and salt, dish soap with lights to catch fleas (didn't work), Flea traps, Peppermint oil (all over room and bedding, Apple Cider Vinegar (sprayed around room), Vacuumed almost on a daily basis &Boric Acid. All of this seems to piss them off or slow them down for about a day or so and then they are fully back the next. The pest control says Carpet Beetles, treated for it and NADA! He took samples of the black dots twice and told me it was lint. I started to believe I was losing my mind, so I did my own experieriment. I put the so called"lint" on the underside of my arm (I watched it with a magnifying glass) near my vein. The little piece of lint woke up real fast, started to shake back and forth and bit the crap out of me. It fell on the floor as I screamed in shock. The other person I live with is about ready to admit me (they leave her completely alone) and my pest control thinks I am nuts too. I am about ready to move into a hotel! I am taking all of the carpet out and had to throw a $1,000 (2) year mattress in the trash along with all of my bedding. More fun facts: I have only a few visible small bites: One on my arm, stomach and eyebrow. These things love to get active at night and seem to calm down in the early hours of the morning (around 3:00 am). They are visible in the day as well (Ex. I can remove a black dot from my bedding/pillow and 5 minutes later, another appears in a different spot, same item! It's like a bad magic trick. Deet seems to work for a very short period of time. I'm lucky if I can get 2 hours with Deet 30. I have to reappy after 2-3 hours. These things have truly ruined my life. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate. Thank you.

Hi! Can anyone tell what these tiny bug are? They are all over the concrete and lower part of our house outside. They seem harmless, but there are thousands of them. They don’t fly and move pretty fast. Thoughts? We live on Denver if that helps. TIA!!
  • Jessica Byrn

Can anyone tell me what this bug is? I just found it on my pillow. I've been waking up with bites on my face, neck and scalp for weeks now. I tore apart my bed looking for bedbugs and found none. Then I moved to the couch and after a two week break, the bites are back. Now I find this! I messed with it for awhile trying to get a good pic and it didn't fly.

• Jessica Byrn

It's about the size of a flea, and I have a cat, but I know it's not. I've had pets my whole life and definitely know what a flea looks like. And it didn't jump when I was messing with it. I think it looks like a tiny brown lady bug.

This thread had been goin on since 2006. 13 years ago someone started this thread about this tiny bugs etc which amazing because when you look back and read all the comments, it sounded like yesterday. Same old problem- tiny black bugs on the wall, ceiling then spread to whole house. I found it useful that i shared my tips on how to fix the problem. The "CementBug" lived inside the cracks of cement. This bug survived by eating the mold on the ceiling and walls. Undisturbed space usualy attract dust and germs to mold and fungus. i dont clean my ceiling and walls as often as i would on the floors, so my house ceiling especially my room were mouldy. Mold is usually colourless that turned black as fungus. Totally get rid of the bugs - clean the whole house if possible because the bugs and termites thrived in mouldy areas. I found out that after repainting my apartment, the bugs still around. Solution is.. kill the source. I use wallpaper on every wall and some of the ceiling. No mold no bugs. Bugs hated the smell and oily surface of wallpaper.

• mamalu2012
    To Houzz user who commented on 6/7/18:

I think we have the same bug problem, and I live in Southern California. Have you figured out what kind of bug that is? Have you solved the problem yet? If so, what method did you use?
  • lisab747

If anyone has any tiny black bugs that are attracted to sweets (especially in Florida), they're probably sugar ants and they're not easy to get rid of.

• Audrey

No, I haven't been able to get rid of them :( It's been horrible. I have a pest control coming regularly and they are baffled. I even sent samples to UC Riverside. The man that tests the samples thinks I'm nuts and says I have Formication. I tried to tell him that I have picked these things off my neck and face area with tweezers and the other person I live with has seen them appear on me from nowhere-she is really worried too. I have a Doctor's appt. due to not being able to sleep at night and getting attacked by these things. I've been told "lint" and it's in my head. I have multiple bite marks too that are itchy and inflamed. They usually appear the next morning when I wake. I'm not sure what to do-all the carpet is gone, but they still seem to be in my clothes, on all the surfaces in my home (kitchen, bathroom, etc.) It doesn't seem to matter if it's day/night. They are everywhere! Please share your story if you'd like.

• Beth Palermo

Hi Audrey! Don't feel alone, I'm freaking out too, AND just exhausted. The black bugs r coming in through a crack in the tile grout floor ADJACENT to my yard. They bite, -a red SPOT, AND I have pulled out a bug,splinter, under my skin. I found eggs, laurve, excrement under rug on the tile floor. I sleep on my leather recliner. They r In my bathroom, by sinks, etc. They fly, AND r outside now Too! I just moved here after my dad passed for a new start...My daughter did Ultra Nix on my hair CUZ I was itching. There's too many bugs 2 figure it out, AND PPL don't believe I get them under my skin! Pest Control coming 2morrow. I've bagged, washed clothes. Vacuum, but in a day they're back! Eggs will hatch..i will write here what I find out 2morrow. Hopefully it helps us, others!! Take care, don't sleep with a blanket, maybe a sheet! Best of luck 4 real. Bethann

• Sonya Peña
    We just moved into a new rental and these are everywhere, every morning since we’ve been here, what are they?!?! I found some in the fridge this morning and on the stove.
  • Mel Basra

what are these creatures just spread at tops of windows when it is hot outside? They can fly

last year

Thrups/thunder flies.

• Rio Yamazaki
    last year

I finally get rid of the nasty bugs using blowtorch that i tied to a selfie stick that can be lowered and pulled up. I just plug in the butane gas to the torch then pull the selfie stick make it longer and i just burn the bugs out that hiding on ceiling corner and wall. Cheap and fast and worth it. But had to do it every two days to control the bugs from coming back. After 1 mth of torching the bug - 3 times a week, i found it reduced a lot.almost gone. But when i stop for a week, it came back again and spread very fast. One pest exterminator said that this kind of termite- small black bug is the hardest and resilient. Once it invaded your space then mostly people just torn down the house because it would never go away. Good luck guys.

the kind of blowtorch i used. Begins with a small fire before gradually turn the fire bigger but not so big to burn your house.

last year
    last modified: last year

Thrups/thunder flies feast on moulds. The reason they tend to be in abundance on windows and bathrooms is due to the common occurrence of moulds' in these areas.

They can also be in the fridge as they are often in lettuce (feeding on the sugar fungi) and mushrooms.

To eliminate them it is essential to get rid of the moulds. Spray neat white vinegar on infected area/s, leave for 24hours, then spray weak bleach solution and leave for further 24hours. Then clean area/s with household disinfectant.

Leave a small container filled with disinfectant (use one with a nice fragrance - it will make the room smell beautiful! ) near the cleaned areas and wherever fruit and vegetables are stored. The thrups will drink the disinfectant and die!

With respect to lettuce, mushrooms and any other contaminated fruit and vegetables, it is essential to wash all thrups off them thoroughly before refrigerating.

last year

Hey everyone, I may have figured out what the tiny black bugs are depending on where you live. For myself, one morning I woke up and noticed tons of tiny little black bugs on the sheets. They looked like small bug droppings but closer examination revealed tiny little legs. Some also could move, but very slowly. Pulled the sheets off and not a single black bug was under the sheets. Washed the sheets slept on just the mattress. Next morning I woke up and they’re everywhere again! Read a whole bunch of comments on here describing what they looked like, these are little all black, some brownish. Circular bugs.

Here comes the gross part.. if you have pets that play outside, there are nasty horrifying bugs called seed ticks. When you walk through a patch of them you will find yourself covered in hundreds/thousands of them. My dog had gone through a patch a few days ago and I gave him a thorough bath with tick killer shampoo. Well this shampoo didn’t work. The tiny little seed ticks kept sucking my dogs blood and became engorged (full). My dog would jump on my bed in the middle of the night and a whole bunch of them would fall off. Moral of the story.. don’t let your dog on the bed after he has ran through a seed tick nest, and use a shampoo that actually kills them. Hope this post may help someone. I posted it because could not for the life of me figure out what they were from searching different articles on google. After looking at my dog and still seeing ticks hiding on him that were identical to this one, I am finally able to get some sleep!

• Audrey
    last year

I am still on my quest to find out what these things are and how to get rid of them. Going on 5 months now! 4 Pest Control companies later and samples sent to 2 Entomologists. At least 1 was kind enough to say that there were some bugs, just none that have been biting me and keeping me awake all night. Windex does help-keeps them off my bed-this seems to be my only saving grace. I spray it on my metal bed frame. I would cover myself in it too if I could stand the strong odor. At least it's been fully confirmed I don't have bird mites (thank god). I have been doing so much research on these things and I'm convinced they can jump and crawl. They can be in one place and then another in a blink of an eye (literally). It's completely bizarre. They've managed to get into my scalp, which itches like mad. I shake my head and they fall out-this happens with my clothes too. I've actually used the Sulfur ointment in my hairline so they don't come running down my face while I'm sleeping. As soon as that light goes off in my bedroom, it's showtime for them. They are there in the daytime too, but more dormant. I think they form in clusters in a room or area and get really active between the hours of 8:30 pm-4:00 am. It's sad that I even know this. My bed has 2 bed bug covers on it and my comforter now has a bedbug cover as well. I don't know what else to do. Deet helps and seems to calm them from fully biting me-they just wait and stay on top of the sheet where I'm laying or the comforter. When I wake in the morning, they are all right there! For anyone else who is going through this-you have my utmost sympathy. This has been one of the worst experiences of my life. I switched Doctors due to him pratcically laughing at me-I guess I would think I was crazy too. Let's hope this doesn't become some kind of epidemic or new kind of species? It's just plain bizarre. I don't think mine are seed ticks either-I don't have any pets and mine are all different sizes. They range from really tiny to a bit smaller than the seed tick photo. The bite is tremendous for their size too. I can feel this brush by feeling and then the pinch (bite). Then the itching and then I see the small bump/bite-it's horrible.

• Patricia Johnson
    last year

I almost felt an obligation to continue his post considering its been almost a year. I'm impressed with the length of time it's continued. Anyway the majority of these pictures are indeed weevil. Many different types mostly feed on grains in your cupboard. Some grow into Indian meal moths from what I've learned so far. Some other ones were carpet beetles it looked like but they were kind of blurry so I am not to sure. Been dealing with both of these for just under a year now. Mostly harmless,the Indian meal moth larvae have a painful bite supposedly but it's not poisonous.

• A C
    last year

Hi Patricia, I should have updated this sooner, but I am finally rid of these damn bugs. It took a full year, but they are pretty much gone. Occasionally I find them in sticky traps that I put down around my house, but I am not getting bit anymore and not itching (thank god)! I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I still to this day have no idea what these things were/are? Maybe they were Carpet Beetles or some sort of larvae. Whatever it was, it causes intense itching, especially at night. These things infest clothing, bedding, rugs, pillows, carpeting, etc. I was to the point of considering ending my life. I would pray daily for this hell to stop. This was one of the worst things that ever happened to me. I hope that others that are going through this have the hope that one day it will stop! They do eventually die out. Please know this.

• Raj Shrestha
    last year

Expert opinion would be appreciated. Thanks

• lrp425
    last year

Hi everyone- we have these tiny bugs crawling and jumping all over the house, in every room. They are on the ceilings, walls, in bathtubs and most disturbing- I am now finding them on/in the beds. Orkin has been here twice (once last summer when I THOUGHT they were only in the bathrooms and on the baseboard heaters) and just a couple days ago when I freaked out after seeing them in the beds. It seems they disappeared after the hot and humid weather but now they’re back in full force (worse, actually). Apparently they are springtails and supposedly they are harmless (do not bite). However, last summer and now again I have what seems to be bite-like sores on my scalp, along my hairline, on my face... it’s terrible. We had our hvac system replaced last summer due to mold; also had the house inspected for mold in general. If these bugs are attracted to moisture/mold, how are we supposed to find the source if the mold inspector hasn’t even found it (other than the hvac which we’ve already replaced). Please help! This is truly a nightmare

last year
    last modified: last year

Hi,

The only way we have managed to reduce the numbers by approx. 99.99% is by doing what I advised in my post of 18/7/18. Additionally, we have put insect mesh screens on the windows this year.. This has stopped new ones entertaining our home. Put small containers of disinfectant in the rooms where they are prevalent. It kills them. Wipe down windows and frames with white vinegar, diluted bleach and then disinfectant to kill the moulds that usually grow there (quite often invisible to the naked eye but enough for them to feed on).

We also sprinkle cinnamon on the soil surface of our houseplants (another place where microscopic moulds thrive). Plus we put little containers of cinnamon in the corners of all the rooms of our home and on top of the door canopies etc. This also seems to keep these and other critters at bay, including moths and spiders. The cinnamon also makes the house smell lovely!

Another thing we've done is sprinkle baby powder on to the carpets, left for a couple of days and then vacuumed. This also kills a lot of critters including moths, thrups, beetles, and springtails etc.

its a case of kill the moulds (their food source) and the ones you have indoors already; and then prevent new ones entering by putting mesh on the windows. So far, these measures have worked for us.

• Audrey
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hi, I've had these bugs in my home too. I initially thought they were baby roaches, but they are different looking than a roach. They started in our Kitchen area and then migrated into the rest of the house. They multiply very quickly! The best and cheapest way to catch these things I'm sorry to say, is to trap your whole house. I know this sounds strange. We fired our pest control and became our own pest control! Go and buy sticky traps, the white flat glue traps you lay on the floor. They are cheap and they come in a pack. I buy these thngs like mad and put them along the base boards and under the sinks. They work like magic. You will be absolutely surprised what gets caught in them. I've caught so many of these damn bugs as well as spiders, full size roaches, flies, etc. They're fabulous! We hardly ever find bugs running around our house anymore. I hope this helps anyone that reads this. I wish I had done this so much sooner. It would have saved me a lot of grief and worry.

• Aakriti Sharma

Hi Audrey, I’ve faced the same thing in the past few days like you. But these bugs are just in my room crawling over my bed, floor, walls and table.

My family thought I had gone insane staying awake every night and looking for these bugs and killing them basically everyday. But their number never decreases, they just keep on multiplying everyday. I could basically see the dot sized white ones crawling on my bed and they come out of no where. And nothing seemed to work! Whatever I tried and none of the pesticide companies knew what they were and where they were coming from. And did you get any idea how they breed or in what environment and where? It would really help if you’d let me know. I am definitely going to try the sticky pads and see of they work here or not. Also how and where did you use these sticky pads in the room to attract more of these insects ? Please let me know if you find any permanent solution and the reason why they come into the house.

And thanks for sharing your entire story and the solution as well. :)

• A C

Hi Aakriti,

I'm so sorry you're going through this. The bugs I dealt with were mostly black (dot sized and looked like a piece of pepper or coffee grind). The White colored things I'm pretty sure were eggs of some kind. They looked like little balls, were hard as rocks and would be under my bed. These would also continue to multiply daily. I was definitely in a losing battle. I would itch all night long and yes, I thought I was going crazy as well as the Pest Control who couldn't figure out what they were. I had several Pest Control companies come to my home and not one could be certain. It was everything from Roach droppings to fleas to bed bugs. Their numbers will slow dramatically in the Winter time and I wouldn't itch when I was sick (with a cold/flu). This thing would leave me alone during this time. I know this is no consolation due to it being Summertime. You are NOT crazy. They will eventually die within about a year or so. You need to change your bedding a few times a week. Vaccum and dust the room as much as you can. I know this can be time consuming and difficult. I threw out new pillows, bedding, stuffed animals, clothing, etc. It cost me $10,000 which included putting in hard wood flooring and puling up all the carpet in my home.This thing made it's way through a home a little over 1,000 sqare feet in 3 months! It was everywhere. Try to at least contain it to one room. Use the traps around the perimeters (baseboards) of your room. I would also put some underneath your bed. Check underneath your mattress and underneath your boxspring. I found them there as well. They love bedding and can weave themselves into any material. Cover your mattress, boxspring and pillows with bed bug proof covers. You can get them at Bed, Bath and Beyond. They can't get out or in and I know this is probably going to sound crazy-I could actually hear them moving around at night in the zippered cover. If things get really bad for you, like they did me you can use this: Deet bug spray/lotion (entire body and face), Sarna anti-itch lotion (worn at night). If you If you can't get them out of your clothes (they would fall out of my clothes onto the floor-literally), you can use Lysol disinfectant additive (its a product you can add right into your wash). I hope this information helps you. Please let me know how you are doing. Take care.

Audrey

• Chelsea Nolan

Hi irp425

That is a springtail.

They like moisture and they jump.

I also see other comments some seem to be pantry pests like grain beetles .

The hard-ish shell oval round bugs are carpet beetles. They are icky but extremely common and nowhere near as bad as bed bugs . They will basically eat anything but they don't seek out blood like bed bugs /fleas/ticks . The larvae of the carpet beetles are tiny little caterpillar shape with spikey hairs. Static can bring these hairs onto clothing and can irritate skin. I never use towels even right out of the dryer bc I seem to always get tiny debris on my skin if I put oil or lotion right after. Im not entirely sure why.

I have stopped using body oil after bathing because I just don't want to see any black specks that show up . I am not crazy and I am not claiming I am being bit or have anything in my skin. I just accept things as they are.

I am concerned about teeny tiny black skinny-ish bugs that will jump on my legs while gardening . They really do not look like springtails at all. They are even smaller than springtails. I don't think they bite, but I wish I knew what they were. I thought maybe thrips but I'm not sure.

I have not heard of thrumps before. I have heard of thunder flies /no see-ums , AKA midges. They are tiny little flies that bite.

I just wanted to add my input, and hope everyone is doing well.

• Chelsea Nolan

Also I forgot to mention something that has SAVED. ME. FROM. ALL. PESTS.

DIATOMACEOUS EARTH. It's basically silica, and is made of freshwater phytoplankton crushed fossils. This powder will dessicate bugs AND anthropoids like spidermites.

It's easier to use more places because it's mechanism of action is mechanical VS toxin.. I don't say "chemical" because EVERYTHING is a chemical. So anyway, I have found diatomaceous earth to be the only thing that works consistently and is safe to put in the house and on pets etc.

It's very important not to inhale the powder puffs though. This applies to any form of powder not just the DE.

although I do not ingest it, you will want to get the "food grade" DE. There is a different kind that is used for pool filters; steer clear of that product by getting any kind that is labeled food grade.

I am NOT affiliated with ANY company in any way shape or form I have zero ulterior motives and nothing to gain. I just want to spread this info, because it truly saved my sanity. I do try to avoid applying it near flowers because I don't want to harm pollinators .

I encourage anyone to research more and I hope this helps.

• Simone Ewart

Okay, I dealt with these. YES, THEY DO BITE!!! No use going to a doc- they will tell you that you are crazy! I do not know what the @#&* they are BUT I do know what can work to manage them...

HOUSE: Dichotomous Earth did not help, but borax with baking soda with essential oils ( tea tree and eucalyptus) mixed in did work somewhat, but I also bought a Pet Symphony that vacuums and steams at same time and do daily....Kleen Green natural enzyme spray and spray everywhere.. even you!

YOU: Flea and tick shampoo only worked for a day or two so not super great, but use NEEM oil with a few drops of essential oils of cedar, clove, and orange works well before bed nightly to avoid the painful bites and reduce bite marks. Also put some essential oil in hair. Take apple cider vinegar pills and garlic (one clove raw) for a week before bed. Change bedding daily. If you can afford, but a parasite blood zapper. Finally you might get a good night sleep!

PETS: My cat also had these friggin black pepper things so check your pets. Use neem oil and - put a few drops in ears and around ears and under chin and paws. They like to bite thin membrane so focus there. No essential oils on cat as toxic to them! Use ultrasonic electric flea and tick comb - you will not find anything on comb but later when you clean up and spray the area with paper towel you will see a bunch. Spray cat with colloidal silver after combing. Get your pets some good antioxidant food until better to help boost their immune system

What I can tell you- is not scabies because scabies treatment (even from doc) does not work and you do not see them, nor does Nix (lice treatment). Moreover, you do not feel scabies move or bite, nor lice bite. Is not traditional fleas because do not find any and these do not fit pattern and cat is on Revolution. These bury or burrow under skin- seen on both cat and me, which typical fleas do not do. That makes me think is either chiggers, sand fleas, bird/rodent mites, or seed tics, chewing/sucking lice nymphs from livestock, Demodex mite from cat, or some unknown crap thing! They seem to sometimes appear out of thin air which is puzzling! So still no conclusion- sorry! There are more than 250 species of mites that can cause problems for humans and domestic animals etc so check your house for bird and rodent nests. Lastly, do not give up and despair because docs and vets are clueless in my experience! It will seem hopeless at times, but you will need to be your own advocate.

Try to figure out: A month before started did you visit a beach, woods/grass, touch livestock? Did your cat kill any rodents? Eat any food that was outside ( picnic) that flies were around? Anyone travel abroad that you visited or did you?

• Simone Ewart

ps after checking from this post- could be thrips..adding to list ..ugh

• Sharon Fahy

, water , , , I've ?? , that's , annoying , upto buggered alot etc, cinnamon, , , I , , , I 😁🙏👌,

• Ashley Rullo

Do you guys know if move-in helps? I have an eight-month-old that this is really affecting

• Audrey

Hi Ashley, I'm sorry to hear that your having an issue-especially when it affects a child. :( I'm not sure what move-in is? If you can tell me a bit more about your situation, I will try to do my best to help.

• Ashley Rullo

I’m sorry Audrey I was using talk to text. Moving I meant. We just moved into this apartment in two weeks into it this started. The doctors pretty much told me that I was crazy and I am pretty sure they were considering calling the state on me. The samples are out to the lab.But I’m pretty sure I know what the results going to be. I even foundA bunch of egg type things in between my sons scrotum and butt He screams every night ts only been a few weeks and I can’t see my son like this any more my symptoms seem a little better however?

• Audrey

Oh, that sounds horrible. Yeah, I would try and keep this as "low key" as possible. I know it's difficult because no one believes you and looks at you like you're crazy. The worst part for me was that I felt crazy from not being able to sleep (sleep deprivation can make anyone crazy). Since you have a child that is going through this, my suggestion is to get him new bedding/a new bed. Wash all his clothes in hot or warm water/hot dryer and use an additive-the best one is sold on Amazon and gets rid of bed bugs and is non-toxic. It's called Bed Bug Dust Mite Eradicator Laundry Treatment. You just add it into the wash with the detergent. This stuff will kill anything bad in your laundry. If something seems heavily infested that you can't wash, stuffed animals, pillows, etc. I would toss them. I threw out a bunch of stuff. (Please do not donate anything or give it to someone else). I even tried to put something that was infested in a freezer bag/in the freezer for a week to kill whatever was, and it still survived! I ended up throwing it out. If you have carpeting, my best suggestion would be to rip it out and replace it with any other kind of flooring that's not carpet. If you cannot afford that, then you should get a professional carpet cleaning-I did this (first) and had no success. :( I hope this helps you and your son. You shouldn't have to move and you're not crazy-just remember that.

Hi. new to this but agree with a lot of these posts. Same thing. Look like black specs. In hair, in body hair., on skin and just about everywhere. Did magnify it and saw it look like a little bull of hair (crazy from a speck) but I could see tiny thin legs moving and moving fast. Don’t know if they are springtails or mites or something else. Have pics of beetles too that are that small.

So if anyone had had any insite please lmk. I have been told I have psoriasis, rosacea and have talked to like I’m crazy. Has been going on for about ten years depending on where I live but back again lately. Same town. different apartment. Could be from others apts too which is why I thought dust mites. First time I got them was in Washington and I was near a nuclear power lane if that rings any bells.

dude, this is no joke. I don’t know what to do. Just like everyone else, I have been told I am crazy. These things bite like crazy. I see them come off of me in the shower every day. had them sent to the lab and no avail. “It’s lint” have flea bombed and sprayed for bed bugs fleas roaches ants etc still, no relief. My skin gets so inflamed and as soon as I think it is healing, boom. More bites. I live in a very mentally abusive home already and this is a nightmare. I want to move somewhere soon, but I am so afraid I might infect someone else or my new home. I would even throw out everything I own, bring nothing with me except washed in scolding hot water and essential oil clothes. I have tried so many things including heat treatment. I do not like living here and my family hates that I am always itching, they think I am on drugs and just see things. Should I throw out everything I own? Shame I have to throw out my one year old fouton that I have barely used due to not even wanting to go in the room. I have not yet tried diatomaceous earth, I just ordered it. It’s so abusive here. I don’t want to infect someone elses house. I haven’t slept in over a year. input Please?

I would say try what I did. Tea tree oil and rubbing alcohol with water in spray bottle. On body I use a few different things. Hibiclens or Korres. I think smells bother them especially citrus ones. In hair I use products with tea tree oil. Good luck and if you figure it out please please tell me. My face is a wreck!!! Not a blemish in whole life and now face is all bumps as week as scalp. I think it may have to do with the water or heat. They dug up water system recently but also people have heat on. People need to renovate once in a while. Newer places seem to be ok

• Ashley Rullo

It’s so weird how they look like lint until you magnify them

has anyone figured out what these little bugs are? It just started heating up in Los Angeles, and I noticed I felt extreme itchy during the night and would constantly wake up feeling itchy from bites. It’s been about 3 days since I’ve been feeling these little bastards. Once I noticed them all over Me and on my pillows, I went ahead and washed all my bedding, sprayed insect/bug killer and the Flea/tick killer all along my bedroom windows (since that is where I noticed a lot of them were coming through) but they’re back today. I noticed just an hour ago that they were all over my fiancé and I, our bed, pillows and curtains. I did read in an earlier post that they may be attracted to mold or if theres a leak in the ac. My tricky situation is that I have a tiny tree whose branches brush up against my window that is right on top of my bed and the AC condenser is also right outside so it’s hard to figure out a cause. I’ve been living at this place for well over 5 years and I’ve never had this problem.

So after staying up and researching, I came to the conclusion that they are bird mites. It makes sense considering I’ve recently heard a lot of birds up on the roof that’s above my window. They look identical to some of the tiny bugs some people have posted on here and another forum. They’re tiny, extremely hard to notice unless you’re carefully watching an area for movement, and they bite which causes the itchiness! for those experiencing the sudden infestation, look around to see if there are any birds nests hanging around your house and make sure you don’t have branches nearby that would connect your house to the area where birds or bird nests typically are at your home. They can only survive off bird blood so as long as you clear your house of any birds, nests and bird poop- they’ll stop showing up. In the meantime, I’m going to start clearing the nerd nests, trimming the branches that brush up against my window/home, and washing the inside the Inside of my room along with the wall right outside my bedroom. Will keep you guys updated!

hey Hu/263

man I have same problems that damn tiny black bugs keep bites me over and over it’s Si small cant even see them, they’re fellowing me everywhere I go even a hotel , anh the damn thing only bite me , it’s so small and sharp went thru my clothes , I’m about to go crazy

• Ashley Rullo

Morgellons

• HonDaPursuit .

HU-783429489-I believe we are both on the same shoes. I had a chance to catch 2 and they do jump and really hard to squeeze , like they are slippery.I might buy some Fogger tomorrow and a ultrasonic pest control. they does drive me nuts and can't sleep at night. will give updates.

• jseeley

Hi Everyone, At night, I notice these black bugs flying all over close to the ceiling in the same room as where I grow my microgreens. I'm in the northeast. At first, I thought they were attracted to the grow lights and they managed to get though the window screens some how, but I've since closed my windows I'm starting to think they're burrowed in the microgreen soil (cococoir) during the day but how did they get there? During the day, I don't see them. Only until I water microgreens at night (10-11pm) and then they appear out of no where flying near the ceiling and closer to ambient light. (When I water them during the day, I don't see the bugs.) They're easy to catch; I just raise a paper towel to the ceiling or wall where they like to rest and pinch into them...but they're tough and very hard to crush and kill. (I hate killing anything, but I was freaking-out a bit!) The first night, I must have caught 30 of them! They second night, I caught like 15 of them. They just kept appearing out of no where. So I brought my microgreens outside to see if the situation starts to improve. My question is, does anyone know what type of bug this is so I have a chance at knowing where they're coming from and how they got in the house? It seems to be a black beetle but I'm not sure- they have the ridges in the wing area. They're shiny and only like a 3/16 to a 1/4 inch long and a 1/16 of an inch wide. From a distance, in the paper towel, they look like mouse droppings. If I knew what they were, I could start to learn how to get rid of them and continue to grow my microgreens. Maybe the cause is one particular microgreen I'm growing which is sunflower, pea, curled cress and cilantro-- if that matters. Thanks so much!

Hey everyone! My family and I have had this problem for the past two years. At first my mom would blame our cat but tonight I found a couple of these walking on the sink. When we killed them they either had blood or were black. Also found some on my clothes and bedding. They are so tiny the only way I saw them was through my phone flashlight. Any tips on what to do? we’re on the verge of throwing everything away

i Believe I have the same problem they’re tiny black little bugs that only come out at night and are attracted by LED lights I’m guessing. I’m not sure if they are biting but I’m always itchy anyways so I can’t tell. I feel like I’m freaking out and they are coming in through my air conditioner and there a good bit of them I’m not sure what to do I’m going crazy. someone help me out!

• Aakriti Sharma

Hi Audrey and everyone! it’s been 10 months since I posted about the problem and I did a lot get them away but they were literally everywhere in the house! Planned on shifting(we were anyway going to) as well but now due to this Covid I don‘t see that happening anytime soon. I tried some sprays that smelled bad and I couldn’t sleep in my room for days. Kept the mattress in the sun, sprayed the medicine/solution everywhere on walls, edge of window, almirahs and every place I could think of. They went away for the winter and I saw one or two some time back and they went away again. At least the number in which they come had reduced till the last time when I saw 3-4 and sprayed the solution which literally spoils the walls of my room. And just day before yesterday I saw one on my pillow and then I looked over and saw around 10 of them and I knew it was time to leave my room again 😭 I had started using dark bedsheets as I thought they had gone and now I’ll be using light ones again to spot them again only when the smell goes away! I really hoped that someone would have found something 😐 Nevertheless I did read some comments here about bird mites, spring tails and Im going to do something about it then. I’ll keep you all posted! Hope you all are safe :)

• katieg23

I feel I may have there too. I can never see mine move though, but i am positive they are biting me. I have seen black specks in my bed, couch and on me. When I go to scratch the area I am left with a white seed. Does this all sound familiar. I just haven’t seen the little suckers move so it makes me feel like I am going crazy, but I am always itchy and feel like something is crawling on me.

• A C

Hi, yes-sounds somewhat familiar. Not sure about the seed, but I do have some white marks from where the bites occurred. I’m sorry your going through this. Try taking a 1/2 a Benadryl before going to sleep. This will help with the itching. Please take care. 😇

• Michele Luczak

I have these black bugs, slightly smaller than a grain of rice. They are on my bedroom ceiling every night. They do fly and are attracted to my nightstand lamp. Don’t see them any other time. Any thoughts?

Ann Arbor's Source For All of Your Home Building & Remodeling Needs