Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terezosa

Reaaally long T shirts and tank tops...Why??

terezosa / terriks
11 years ago

I don't require my T shirts and tank tops to be long enough to cover my rear end, but that is what seems to be available in a lot of stores. Why do they make them so long??? If I'm wearing a tank top and a pair of shorts, I don't need the top to cover all but one inch of the shorts. Why can't they make tops that hit me just about the top of my hips???

Comments (22)

• CaroleOH
    11 years ago

Funny you feel that way. I like my tops longer and tend to think that they're not long enough!

Have you washed the tops? I find mine tend to shrink.

Try shopping at JJill. They have wonderful tanks/t shirts. Some are longer than others. I don't find them to be too long.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

I think (could definitely be wrong especially since I am such a fashion maven ;) ) but I think the longer ones are that length so as to be worn with leggings. Not a fashion look I go for but lots of people do.

• chispa
    11 years ago

I agree terriks. There should be a variety, but the fashion seems to go from crop tops to long tops! I'm thin and like to tuck t-shirts into my jeans. I'm not that tall, so a long top over jeans makes me look frumpy.

I just went shopping a few days ago. At this point in my life I'm lucky to be able to buy whatever I want, but the styles and quality are terrible. There was nothing worth buying. I wish I could go back in time and stock up on some classic pieces.

I hadn't been in Nordstrom in a long time and was shocked at the junk they had. It seems the "Forever 21" price point and quality has become the industry standard.

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just was looking for some inexpensive tank tops, and tried some at Old Navy. Not only did they cover my rear - and I'm tall - but the straps were too long, almost showing the top of my bra. These are slim fitting tanks, so they would look stupid over shorts or pants, with all the bumps and bulges from the fly, pockets, etc.

• caminnc
    11 years ago

Gosh, I have to agree with caroleoh. Seems all the tops I see are short wasted and look like they are made for much smaller frame. Much clothing is made outside the US where people really are a lot smaller.

• hhireno
    11 years ago

Every once in awhile, I have to bring too long tees to my tailor and have them shortened. If you have a sewing machine you could probably do it yourself. It can be annoying but sometimes it's the only way to get just what I want. I am lucky that my tailor is inexpensive.

• caminnc
    11 years ago

Lets just say I like covering my butt, haha!

This post was edited by caminnc on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 17:34

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

My go-to for basics like tanks and t's is Eddie Bauer. Good quality, sales and classic styling.
    I bought a pair of Born shoes there once that I wore all day and they almost crippled me. EB took them back without any questions.

• rosesstink
    11 years ago

Try LL Bean for tees. I've been really pleased with the quality but wish they were an inch or two longer so they may be just the length you are looking for.

• chispa
    11 years ago

hhireno, I forgot to mention that I also shorten t-shirts that I plan on always tucking in. I cut them and then do a zigzag on the sewing machine so they don't fray.

• User
    11 years ago

If I find a top that's too long (I don't like them below the top of the hip either) I try petites since petites are usually shorter. May have to go up one size though.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

t-shirts are made out of a knit material which won't fray, but it will roll. You can get a double needle and use two spools at the same time then just top stitch the hem on the front side using a straight stitch. You'll get a neat row of double top stitch and yet it will stretch and it finishes off the hem nicely.

Here is a link that might be useful: Using double needle

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I think old navy tanks ARE long-- and like you said, the straps are too long. I dont feel a need to show off my bra-- sometimes it's cute and sometimes it's dingy lol.

I second JJill and Eddie Bauer. I have tanks from both that I've had for years.. YEARS. They cover what I want to cover, work well with below the waist jeans and tuck in nicely.

For those who want a stylish longer t, I have fallen in love with the JJill elliptical tees. They are easy and fun-- definitely not to tuck in because they are A line but they arent completely shapeless. I think they fit nicely around my shoulders and bust line and then hang nicely from there... and no strange bulges from pockets/buttons/fly.

• tinam61
    11 years ago

The high school and college girls wear the longer tanks. They are for layering - wearing under the cardigans, sweatshirts, sweaters, etc. I saw a young woman today with one on under a mid sleeve collared t-shirt. Worn especially over skinny jeans - they do pull them down almost over their butt but gathered (wrinkled) up a little. I'm probably not describing it well, but I'm sure you've seen the look. I've not seen them with leggins though.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

I get all my tees/tank tops at Target, and love them! Most have some stretch since I don't like all cotton tees that stretch out after awhile. They could be Mossimo, but i've also bought them in the work out wear dept. They also retain their color well.

• User
    11 years ago

I have most of my short sleeved, cotton knit tees hemmed by a local tailor. It's difficult to find a shirt with a rounded----NOT scooped--- neckline, so when I find a style I lke I buy it regardless of length and have it altered. Most of that kind of top is much too long for me. Ralph Lauren and Eileen Fisher styles usually hit the hip perfectly.

• 4boys2
    11 years ago

You don't have to be "petite" to shop in the petite section.
    I'm 5'7" but it's all leg.
    That's where I find all my shorter shirts and sweaters.

• teacats
    11 years ago

Another BIG vote for Target's Mossimo tee-shirts -- longer and seem to wash-and-wear quite well ....

I seem to have problems with shorter tees that ride up and out of my jeans (even if I am wearing the tees over the jeans) -- showing off my not-so-wonderful bits!

• work_in_progress_08
    11 years ago

L.L. Bean is a good suggestion. They did carry a t-shirt called "Saturday T.-shirt" which was a shorter t-shirt. Not so short that you're stomach is exposed, but a good length with shorts, jeans, etc. Despite being long wasted, they weren't too short on me. I'm 5'8".

They wash well and last forever. I have them in all sorts of colors, so I didn't need to order them last summer. Hopefully, they are still carrying that style.

Target stopped carrying the Cherokee t-shirts and replaced them with the Mossimo brand. Don't care for the Mossimo since it has too much elasticity in the fabric makeup. Feels like it has a bit of lycra or something which makes it feel like it is too fitted for me. I like roomier t-shirts, not bigger men's type shirts, just not clingy. The Cherokee was more of a brushed cotton, which washed & dried without a wrinkle. So disappointed that Target stopped carrying the Cherokee tee;(

I do like a bit longer t-shirt for the gym, not covering my butt, however, not riding up, exposing my back while exercising. I usually buy separate workout wear for that very reason.

• User
    11 years ago

Trying to find tops that aren't really long is frustrating. They're everywhere and they don't usually work well for me.

I'm also think it's ridiculous how so many shirts and dresses have such a deep/wide v neck that I have to wear tanks underneath, pin, or have them altered so I can actually wear them. I don't want to show the world my chest and don't care to see someone else's.

• Krista McMahon
    3 years ago

I so agree and am completely frustrated. I’m too old to wear cropped but with a high rise bottom i can pull off a waist length tank or t....but they don’t seem to exist!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES