Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ebse_gw

Do you recommend Canadel furniture

ebse
14 years ago

We are looking at a table for our kitchen. We saw these and it seems neat how you can customize. I'd love to hear reviews on this manufacturer.

Thank you!!

Comments (70)

• cant_sleep
    6 years ago

My dining room table still looks like new after 13 years it's beautiful

• nurse55
    6 years ago

It seems the quality went way down. I have mine at a beach house used weekends for two months a year and it had white spots all over it. It seems the final protective coat has been overlooked. A quick google search reveals many issues as this! No sun hits this table. I also purchased chairs, a bench and bar stools. People are complaining they are falling apart. Forget customer service, it is non existent.

• bheisel5723
    6 years ago

We have had our dining room table for years. Looks good but is not used often. No one told us we shouldn't use polish, and it always had an oily look. I contacted the company and was told to only use water. What a difference! Much easier to clean.

Looking at counter stools with backs from Canadel, but they seem pricey compared to others. Almost twice as much.

• vsg910
    5 years ago
    Just recently bought a table, it has a light gray painted finish on it.
    In the first week, it has acquired several noticeable scratches from everyday use. I'm returning this beautiful Canadel table.
  • HU-122787365
    5 years ago

I purchased a Canadel table and chairs recently. I wish I would have looked at this site before I did. Despite the fact that it is beautiful to look at - in less than a month of use we have indentations on the table top. Contacting Canadel directly was completely unsatisfying. Their response was to use place mats and coasters. Why would I pay this much money to purchase a beautiful wood table if I want to cover it. The store I purchased it from is working with me but I will never purchase from Canadel again.

• Dorothy Fleischhauer
    5 years ago

Same here, if you look at it, it scratches. The finish on chairs scraped off when we used a booster seat, scratched if sat on wearing pants with buttons. Table has huge gouge from sliding a book across it, says “happy mother’s day” where a child wrote a greeting card without padding underneath. When I showed the furniture store, who I’d asked to recommend something durable, they insisted I’d abused it. When I explained why I hadn’t they implied I lied. You couldn’t run fast ebough to GIVE me another Canadel product.

• Holly Stockley
    5 years ago

I have a set that's about 18 years old. It's a rectangular farmhouse style tale and wheatback chairs - birch, with a dark fruitwood stain. I'd rate it as 'OK.' Much better than anything you can find at Art Van. Lower quality than some of the locally made stuff or the honest-to-goodness Amish oak set my mother has. Most of the chairs have been repaired by my father at least once - needing cross braces reglued, arms tightened up, or even a screw to hold a leg more securely. It probably was NOT worth the premium price we paid for it, given than I don't trust any of the chairs with anybody heavier than my 10 year old. I've had to crawl under the table and tighten the bolts on the table legs, too. And this is a set that doesn't really get a lot of hard usage - we don't eat at it as often as we should. The finish is OK, although it does have to be treated with some care. The actual solidity of the chairs was it's downfall. I wouldn't do it again.

• Steven
    5 years ago

I'm about to order a Canadel dining set in a few days. This is my first home and my first experiencing buying "real" furniture. Seemed like Canadel is a good mix of quality and price. Spent so long looking for a dining set and makes me sad reading these reviews!

Although I was looking at Crate and Barrel sets and people also complained about scratches. I'll have to go to the showroom again and check out their display sets closer.

• Ellen Cobb
    4 years ago

Just received our delivery of a Canadel round table and four chairs, it is so cheap looking. The chairs are not completely painted and the wood feels as though is was never sanded. I really feel ripped off by the furnituire store we ordered it from, their sample pieces looked so nice in the showroom and what I have looks like garbage.

• novice0
    4 years ago

We have had ours for about 10 years. The build quality is good but it scratches! We actually don't use it very often because of this. (it is our kitchen table too)

• novice0
    4 years ago

Jharrison1185... I can totally appreciate the qualities you stated about the furniture. But it SCRATCHES way too easily. We hardly use it. I think someone else summed it up. You just look at it and it scratches.

• mrssoots
    4 years ago

Had a terrible experience with Canadel. We bought an expensive table and four chairs from them. After a couple of weeks, the top of the table began to wobble. We put up with it for a little while, but then called customer service to see what could be done to fix it. They told us to send in a video of how the top was wobbling, which we did. Their technician looked at the video and said that it was the normal "give" of the top. It wasn't. The customer service rep, while helpful, told us to call a local store to see if they would come out and look at it. We did that, but ABT had to get approval from Canadel to come out and even look at the table. Canadel told ABT that we had already been in contact with Canadel, and that they would not approve them coming out to even look at the table. We were getting the run-around from them. Finally, I took it upon myself to flip the table over, and found that there were two missing nuts that screwed the top into the pedestal missing. Doesn't sound like that is normal "give", does it? Don't trust a technician who tells you to send in a video of the problem. What happened to the customer is always right? Not counting on Canadel to help us on any future issues, and would not recommend them at all.

• StephanieM
    4 years ago
    Just wanted to chime in- we have a Canadel dining room table & chairs, a buffet, and a media cabinet. The dining table is Champlain collection, with nice distressing that helps to hide scratches. I have 6 children and have had only a few minor scratches since we purchased it maybe close to a year ago. I’m pretty happy with all of my pieces. Would recommend this brand.
  • First Fruits
    4 years ago

The reviews aren’t good- I wish I’d researched a little better before I plunged down a small fortune on a dining room set.

im in the middle of a 5 month nightmare. I ordered 6 canadel chairs in early december; I didn’t like the table that came with the set so we ordered a a Woodworks table that was a stunner.

the table had so many workmanship issues, that it went back. Plan B was to order the matching Table from canadel- at least I’d have a set. Two more months go by and the table arrived this week. IMO, there are workmanship issues once again and I don’t know what to do. One of the chairs had to go back due to wood putty that wasn’t sanded or even the same colour as the birch. There is some rustic distressing expected on this set but there are huge. Craters and crevasses in the top that is out of character overall and doesn’t meet the threshold quality.

4500 dollars for this underwhelming furniture and I haven’t even used it yet.

i wish i went to the Brick and spent 1/4 as much

• valants
    4 years ago

I had a beautiful Dinaire pedestal table. I didn't realize what I had. It took a beating and never showed a mark on it. Remodeled the kitchen and thought I needed a different color table. HUGE mistake. Purchased a Canadel table, you can't put anything cold, wet, or even slightly warm on it with out leaving marks. Living with placemats and constant fear the family will put something on the wood top is a nightmare. I do like the chairs, they are sturdy. Wish Dinaire was still in business, they made tables that last forever.

• Steven
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

So I happened upon this thread after months of searching and deciding to purchase a Canadel set. Since it took me so long to find something I liked at the price range I felt comfortable with I decided to go ahead with the order. Well it arrived and I'm underwhelmed. Gotta admit the set looks beautiful from afar though! Table has already accumulated some scratches and I haven't even had a dinner party use it yet. The staining throughout is so-so but on the chairs pretty bad. Hopefully furniture company has a color matched pen to fix the staining.

I just expected more from the set. Not sure if the floor models at the furniture place are different.

Table ~$1200 and each chair was ~$250. Tables from different companies are around the same price but the chairs were ~$350-450 each. We'll see how this set holds up but at the time didn't want to spend that much per chair.

• sheba010
    4 years ago

Ordered an Island from Canadel.....it is beautiful....looks better than the one at the furniture store I purchased it from.....

• smilit1
    4 years ago

BUYER BEWARE!!!

I wouldn't wish their chairs on my worst enemy!!!

Broke two of them so far. I leaned back and snap! If I was a fat pig, I could understand. I weigh 138 pounds soaking wet. So if you only allow your kids to sit on your chairs, this is the product for you, the chairs 'look' awesome.

If you or your wife weigh more than 100 pounds, then look elsewhere.

Or set aside a yearly budget to keep replacing your chairs.

And to poke their finger in my wound, they don't even make the chair I bought 3 years ago, so now I have to replace all of the chairs. Thankfully, I have a money tree that grows in my backyard, so I can just go and pick more money to buy all new chairs.

The worst part about all of this is I have to listen to the wife tell me that she was right when she wanted to purchase chairs at the big box store and could have thrown them away for a FRACTION of what the Canadel chairs cost. Now I am left with real expensive firewood. Don't be stupid like I was, buy your firewood at Walmart where it is much cheaper.

• beanym
    4 years ago

I bought a Canadel table and chairs for my kitchen. The finish chosen is a distressed look. After three years the top of the table finish is peeled in a spot and it appears to be increasing. While not a huge issue on a distressed look, it’s down to the bare wood. We were told at Woodbridge furniture that it had a lifetime finish guarantee. That’s obviously a misrepresentation. Canadel says it’s probably due to moisture. There has never been a hot pot or plate on it, placemats are used and a damp sponge for cleanup, so no abuse of the top.

Saved up for quite awhile for this and not a happy camper .

• sheba010
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I purchased an Island from Canadel....it is beautiful....has a high gloss paint finish and is so easy to keep clean...Ordered it in the tomato red....Can't believe there are so many bad reviews....I love this Island...thank you canadel...

• Colleen Close
    3 years ago

Bought a Dining Table less than a year ago and am shocked at the many scratches on it , never have put anything on it without a placemat or runner ,very disappointed.

• Patricia Sahagian
    3 years ago

I would not recommend this furniture for anyone I have had for kitchen islands in my house each ones have been worse than the other this cabinet that I'm stuck with this island cost $2,000 and it's incomplete and made improperly the Butcher Block is not finished properly it's not smooth I can't get it smooth and then when I looked to see under the flip up top that's on the side of the island it was shimmed up with two pieces of crappy wood I have tried to get it replaced with the proper product and I still can't get it replaced the quality is shameful I have been back and forth with Raymore Flanigan to get some restitution for this I would not recommend this product to anyone My brother is a master carpenter and he said that I really have gotten taken on this one This is not anyway near the quality that this company boasts about

• Heather Patenaude
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We custom ordered a table about a year ago from Canadel (March 2020). Within about 6 to 8 months the stain began to chip. I tried working with our retailer and the only solution was to send a stain pen, which doesn't even match. I am SO disappointed that we spent thousands of dollars on a table that scratches, dents, chips within a year of use. I waited till I was in my dream home to order a custom table and had I know the finish would begin to ruin in a year I would not have bought It. The only thing the company said was this is normal wear and tear.

• Colleen Close
    2 years ago

would Not recommend. this product!!

• HU-397280874
    2 years ago

We bought a dining set and a living room coffee table from Canadel. It was delivered at the end of January 2021. So far, we are okay with the dining set but the coffee table top is all scratched; the same day we got it, we started to notice a lot of scratches. We are two adults, no children and can’t understand why it scratched so easily. They are not deep scratches but they show quite a bit. The top is in a dark cranberry colour and the scratches show a lot. We called the retailer to see if there would be a product we could buy to help with this issue. The guy I spoke to told me he would check it out and get back to me and he never did. Some service!! We paid close to $650. for that coffee table and we are extremely disappointed about this. So, we do not recommend the Canadel products and also their customer service.

• HU-704511251
    2 years ago

We have a Canadel dining set and we find it was well made but the finish left much to be desired.

It was really a sloppy job of staining. We did send back a chair as the legs were not level. It was a frustrating experience. I would like a china cabinet to match but I wonder if the finish would be as poorly done as my chairs.

• Joy Luna
    2 years ago

Garbage...Got a beautiful table set (Dove white bottom and Weathered Grey washed top and very disapointed! Table scratches every time you barely set anything on it. Paint on bottom wearing on edges.Only a couple months old..I hate it now and I had so much wanted this set. Wish I never got it!! especially for this price! Took 3 different deliveries before they got it right..Sent different pieces.

• Colleen Close
    2 years ago

would not definitely not recommend it ,scratches just looking at it.

• Jennifer C. Gordon
    2 years ago

Would strongly advise AGAINST purchasing anything Canadel. i bought 8 chairs from them to match a custom table i had made. Worst purchase i have ever made, worst company i have ever dealt with. Shockingly unaccountable, to the point of total disinterest, in theor defective product. 5 of the 8 chairs, going on 6 are falling apart in the exact same place with almost no use. Canadel’s response has been alarmingly bad. They could not care less about standing by their product. I will never buy anything from this company again and i will warn as many people as possible to stay away.

• Lauren
    2 years ago

I'm shocked at the negative reviews here. We've had our dining set for 2 years and it looks as beautiful as the day it arrived. I wonder if some of these people below didn't receive actual Canadel pieces?! Our dining table has a matte Cognac washed top and Dove White base. Of course we use placemats- if you have a beautiful solid wood table you should know better than to put hard plates and silverware directly on it. It wipes up beautifully and we have no scratches that I can see. The dining chairs are firm but super comfy and the fabric is top quality. Highly recommend this high end company.

• Jennifer C. Gordon
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@lauren my issue is with the upholstery, not the wood. They did a terrible job with it and forced me down an investigative rabbit hole with their excuses and lack of accountbility. They even ”invited me” to contact Sunbrella (the fabric manufacturer) who then directed me right back to Canadel and confirmed that the upholstery was poorly executed. I dont have a lot of respect for a furniture company that refuses to stand behind a set of 2.5 year-old chairs (at $600 per chair no less) that have been sat in a total of 6 times. The real issue i have is how terrible they have been to communicate with. just an awful experience. arrogant, rude, unaccountable. Im still communicating with them on this issue (i refuse to let them off the hook on principle alone) so we’ll see what happens when it’s all said and done. Glad you dont have any issues with your pieces. i have a feeling you might feel differently about Canadel if you had to actually communicate with them about a problem. im not alone in my negative experience, as you mentioned.

• carol venesco
    2 years ago

We designed our Canadel counter stools with backs. We could choose our leg style, color, and fabrics. 2 years later we are still very happy.

• ntornt
    2 years ago

Do your homework before you buy from this company. We bought a table and four chairs less than a year ago. The table top shows everything that comes in contact with it and makes a mark that does not wash off. They promote how durable it is but that is not the case. They will also not honor their warranty. We were just told that they would replace the table top AT A COST TO US. So much for their warranty and honoring their products. They will not take responsibility for anything. They have no place on their website to actually leave a review, wish I had noticed that when we decided to purchase the table. Just left another message with the “customer service rep”. Bottom line… they don’t care. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY.

• Colleen Close
    2 years ago

Totally agree, wish I had never bought from

• Derek Woods
    2 years ago

Amazingly bad. We bought 6 chairs - 3 of them were missing a bolt, and 4 went wobbly within months or receiving them.

• knuck123
    last year

I'm shocked at reading these reviews and wonder if the company changed their manufacturing process. We had a Canadel table and chairs plus counter stools for close to 20 years and with the exception of the swivel on one stool that is no longer properly aligned, everything else has held up spectacularly. We always used placemats and while the table accumulated some minor surface scratches over the years, it was nothing that was unexpected from daily use. We just downsized and were planning to buy a smaller Canadel table but I am quite hesitant now after reading the reviews.

• smilit1
    last year

@Knuck123 DON’T buy Canadel! it is poorly built overpriced junk. Their chairs fall apart. When u call for customer service they mock u. say they will call u back and then never do. if that is what u r looking for, you and Canadel are a match made in heaven.

• gr8fuldragon
    last year

DO NOT PURCHASE anything from Canadel. We ordered a custom dining room set about 4 years ago. It had so many hairline scratches in it just from using place mats. The company came out to look at it and would not claim any fault. The store that we bought it from completely agreed with us and said Canadel was difficult to work with and wouldn't own their mistakes or lack of quality delivered. The store even went so far as to refinish it for us, but it never was the same after that. In their instruction sheet that they send their furniture, they state that it takes 21 days for the finish to attain its full durability. Why would they ship furniture that hasn't yet cured????

• sarjul12
    last year
    last modified: last year

Do not buy Canadal. I have been dealing with issues with a table for almost 2 years. I am assuming the quality issues are due to Covid? The wood is soft and dents EASILY. The finish does not adhere to edges on table or stools . I was told by 2 furniture companies that Canadal was junk but then was sold by a reputable furniture company in my area. It was a CON. Do NOt BUY. I keep hearing how great the product is. I am thinking before Covid maybe the quality was better. Wood is soft, finish does not adhere, easily scratched and gouged. Our table is a mess from 2 adults living in the house less than 6 months a year. We always used placements and found dings under the placemats. Not sure if it was delivered like that or how it could have possibly happended.

• R M
    last year

Has anyone ordered their glass top tables? I was planning to order a glass top table for my basement as a work surface area not a dining table. I make a lot of handmade items and do sewing and thought the table felt sturdy and was a smooth surface on top. Many of the complaints on here tend to be about the staining which would not impact glass. But overall it makes me question the quality assurance of the company overall based on the comments. Does anyone out there have glass Kennedale? And what do they think? I am more wondering on how it will hold up sturdiness wise making sure the table will not wobble over time.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    last year

One of our Canadal sets. Another one is in the dining room. Both are covered with a custom piece of glass. Both have held up (10-15 years) really well.

• HU-721286806
    last year

We purchased a dining set 2 1/2 years ago and can only say it was a big mistske.

The table top was replaced as finish rubbed off on table. Not even a year later same thing.

Nail holes are apparent on back of chairs. Scratches easily so i was sent ONE pen to cover what i could.

Texted back and forth with Elizabeth and now no correspondence. i,guess you learn by your mistakes

Thank you Canadel.

Sue

Winnipeg, MB.

• Forrest Morris Jr
    last year

Interesting,

Saw the set at Jordans in Nashua NH, with the 72" table, 2 arm chairs, 2 armless chairs and a bench was 4899 dollars, we thought the set was very nice and the color and finish we're what we we're looking for, after visiting this site we might be better to keep shopping. Furniture isn't always easy to deal with, Covid hasn't helped that as well the labor problems everywhere. We're shopping some of the consignment stores maybe find something a little older and less prcey.

Thanks for the heads up folks.

• Delores R. Bogenrief
    last year

18 years ago I bought a Canadel bedroom set, it's like new.

About that time I bought a Canadel kitchen table/chair set, like new, except for small spot where i spilled a couple drops of nail polish remover., easy fix because of the distressed finish.Canadel carries the same styles; the company doesn't change styles according to today's whims.

I believe at that time the wood Canadel used was

canadian hard rock maple. Not sure how birch and beech compares..

• sheba010
    last year
    last modified: last year

Bought a Canadel Island 4yrs ago and it still looks new....I love it.....would recommend Canadel to anyone looking for Quality furniture....you have to take care of your furniture if you expect it to last....

• HU-265780518
    last year

We bought 4 Canadel stools with auto return swivels. One of the stools swivel mechanism failed about a month after the warranty expired. It will not swivel at all and some of the bearings fell out. The other 3 chairs wobble excessively, it's only a matter of time before they fail as well.

• knuck123
    last year

Update to my comment last year. We loved our Canadel table, chairs and counter stools that we had for 20+ years and when we downsized last year, I was hesitant to buy any more Canadel products after reading the reviews. However, we decided to buy a small Canadel table for our new kitchen to match the counter stools (from 20+ years ago) that we took with us to our new place. So glad we did! The table is wonderful. Even better, we were able to get the same wood and black finishes to match our old counter stools. Most companies do not maintain the same colors and woods over the years, but Canadel does. We've had the table now for about 7 months and it is holding up well with no scratches (we use placemats).

One of the swivels on our 20+ year old counter stools finally stopped working properly. The furniture store where we bought the new table contacted Canadel for us, who provided us with the name of the manufacturer of the metal swivel piece. We we were able to order a replacement swivel directly from that manufacturer, put it on the stool and it's now like new. Our experience with Canadel has been good and we are very pleased with their furniture.

• Elise Ward
    10 months ago

Do NOT Buy this furniture. We purchased eight chairs and a dining table. Four of the chairs arrived with scratches; the table arrived with a dent and other imperfections we did not see immediately or we would have returned the set. The apron under the table is rough and full of splinters. The table cannot be used in any normal sense and nothing can be placed directly on top - it scratches at the least touch of anything that belongs on a table. We must use placemats or cover the table completely with a tablecloth for concern of damaging it. The store where we purchased this poorly made furniture would not provide the least bit of customer service so there was no recourse. As well, Candel could care less.

• rtracey62
    last month

My Canadel table is lovely to look at. It is 48” round with a pedestal base. The weather grey has held up well for the 2 of us. When the grandchildren visit we use a see-through protective cover from Amazon. A great protective purchase.

My complaint …
    I'm 5’3.5” and my knees hit the rough supportive base under the tabletop. I have bruised myself many times. Hence, I proceed with caution when I sit or when I cross my legs. I'm also very surprised with how the table is lefted unfinished with the stain and why it has drilled holes!! See pictures.
    The table wasn't cheap and if a next time, I would reconsider this style of table. We bought @canadel because it was Canadian-made.

The original pedestal came cracked and it was replaced in a 2-month period.