FIND PROFESSIONALS
country459

Rowe Furniture: Good or Bad?

country459

I've been reading lots of comments on this site (both good and bad) about Rowe Furniture. We've found a few different sofas that we like - they happen to be Rowe Furniture brand, and we don't have any experience with them. Does anyone have any thoughts about whether or not Rowe produces quality furniture? It sounds like the company has had some problems in the past with quality, reliability, etc., but maybe now is back on track? Thoughts? (We'd be buying the sofa from McGregors Furniture/Kenwood House, if that makes a difference.)

• homefan2

Rowe/Robin Bruce Cindy sofa. I also will never purchase Rowe! They do not stand behind their product.

• christinaroache

I'm going out of my mind searching for a sofa and was excited about Rowe's apparent commitment to eco friendly practices. Now I'm reading all these threads on Houzz (for Rowe and PB specifically) and apparently there aren't ANY good couches out there anymore. So, to all that say don't buy Rowe - what else do you suggest?

Kitchen...good, bad and ugly!

You have a great space once you remove the slanted wall. You do have enough space to put an island. I think an island parallel to the sink would work best with you space so that the island provides somewhat of a divider between your great room and kitchen. If you take down the dividing wall / cabinetry, your sink wall becomes the focal point of your kitchen when looking from your great room (at least thats the way it seems from your photos). If the sink wall is the focal, consider getting a bigger window over the kitchen sink so that there is something more appropriate for the focal. Here are a few examples: I don't think you need a kitchen designer yet. If you sketch out measurements of your space (entire layout of the floor with your kitchen: garage, mudroom, entrances, etc.) and post it on the Garden Web Kitchen Forum, you will get lots of help with your layout and different ideas to get you thinking about how you use your kitchen and how you want your space to work. I agree that a rustic look would be great for you since it is a mountain house and you already have beams to kick start the look.

removing overbearing granite backsplash slab - the good and the bad

Even if the cabinets are painted white the dark backslash still makes a dark kitchen. Trust me, I know! After eleven years of professional countertop decor the corners are still dark and dreary. Under cabinet lights, lamps, light bright accessories don't solve the problem. To the homeowner, if you want the granite down remove it! Tp those of you who like the kitchen as is, decorate yours that way!

Huge double-sided fireplace: good or bad?

It looks beautifully done. There have been many threads on stone fireplaces on Design Dilemmas lately. The consensus is they are pretty special, and would make excellent focal points in a contemporary or modern style redesign. I would go gas and use it a lot. I agree with Rachel on the floor idea. Also your wood trim basically outlines everything for no good reason. But if you want to spend some time and effort your opportunities are limitless! Best of luck! [houzz=] [houzz=] [houzz=] [houzz=]

Bassett Furniture -- good or bad experience?

POOR QUALITY RUG AT BASSETT FURNITURE - SO DISAPPOINTING! We purchased a 9 x 13 rug from the Westport, CT store that we kept wrapped up until our floors were finished. The rug has been down for 10 months now and is 13 months old. It is in a room with very low traffic and no pets. There are pulls and snags all over the rug and it looks terrible - like a discount store cheap rug. When I expressed my disappointment - I was told that since it is past warranty (1 year) I would have to pay for a technician to come over at $90 per hour to take a sample out of the rug. I wrote back and never heard anything again. Unacceptable customer service and a cheap rug. I will never shop at Bassett Furniture again.
  • pennygersh

I bought a Rowe Sofa, Loveseat and Ottoman in 2001 and I'm just now looking to get rid of them, only because we are redecorating. They've lived through 3 kids (one of whom used to do gymnastics and flips off them) and they still feel and look good. I had thought Rowe went out of business so I was surprised when I saw Rowe couches on a store website. I would love to hear from a professional about whether the quality has changed along with the ownership etc.

• christinaroache

@pennygersh i found this thread - not sure if it's helpful to you or not! https://www.houzz.com/discussions/middle-to-high-end-upholstery-dsvw-vd~2371843

• craftybrush51

I have a Rowe sofa bed, recliner 4 pc “L” sectional purchased in 1997. It has withstood a move and 3 children. The cushions are foam and in great shape , the backs are lightly stuffed puffs and do need to be pulled on and fluffed, but we have been very happy with

it. I am however, now in need and looking for a replacement cable for the recliner and am not finding the same type connection at the end connecting to the foot arm mechanism. Is Rowe our of business now?

• Lynette Borrel

I am looking to buy a very expensive ROWE Maddox sectional sofa from Star Furniture. They tell me at the store that it is the top of the line and are charging as such. Has anyone purchased a ROWE secitonal as of late and what kind of experience are you having?

• dejavudes

In rereading some of the comments here I will also throw out that a lot of manufacturers changed their production processes during the last recession. Figured out ways to cut cost to stay in business. Unfortunately this means that some companies that at one time put out a really good products, now no longer do. So again doing some research can help. If you need to, go around the sales person and speak directly with the store manager or even better office personnel as they’re the ones that would handle any customer complaints. Some good news is that there is a huge variety now of beautiful endurance fabrics (Sunbrella, Cypton, etc) for most upholstery lines. May be additional cost upfront but will definitely hold up much better to family life.

• watereeblonde65

Researched extensively, then went to store and sat on a Rowe slipcover sofa. Was very comfortable. Asked for the exact same upgrades of the display for 2 sofas. When delivered, didn't sit like the display sofa. Rowe sent replacement seat cushions for 1 sofa. Still not the same. Son and family came for visit and all I heard were complaints about how uncomfortable the seating was.

Has now been 2 years and the seating is awful. My cushion feels like I'm going down to the floor and I only weigh 90 pounds I change to a cushion that has been sat on maybe 5 times and it does the same within 10 minutes.

Please understand this is from only my use, no one else sits on these sofas and I'm only sitting for a couple hours a day. No small, jumping children. My dogs aren't allowed on them either.

Insisted on a washable fabric, light khaki color. It faded and streaked yellow when washed!

Absolutely the WORST sofa purchased I've ever made, will donate them to the Salvation Army when purchase something else in the next couple of months.

• Xty G (z4)

watereeblonde65, I am sorry to hear about your sofas. What a bummer! It’s killing me reading this thread because i had pretty much decided on purchasing the Rowe Bradford sectional with the feather soft down cushion package. what kind of cushions came with your sofa? Are they down? Do you feel you are sinking because of the seat cushions or the frame underneath?

• Lynette Borrel

We bought a very high end Rowe sofa section from Star Furniture a few months ago. I must say, that the workmanship and seating is very comfortable! I am very happy with the purchase and really hope we don't have any of these issues.

• icanea

We have a Townsend sectional in a linen/rayon blend that we’ve had for 8 years. It’s held up wonderfully. It doesn’t fit our current house so we are looking to replace it and I’m looking at Rowe because of how great our current sectional has held up.

I HAVE HAD MY ROWE SECTIONAL FOR 22YEARS...IT IS A LITTLE WORN OUT BUT NOT TORN ANYWHERE...I HAVE EVEN TAKE ALL THE COVERS OFF AND WASHED THEM IN MY WASHER AND THEY WASHED PERFECTLY...IT IS VERY COMFY...I AM READY FOR A NEW LOOK AND IT WILL BE A ROWE....WE PAID 3200.00, 22 YEARS AGO AND THAT WAS ALOT OF MONEY, BUT WORTH EVERY PENNY😋

• Lucy M.

@dejavudes Are there any other brands you'd recommend besides Lee and Taylor King? I'm driving myself crazy on this sofa hunt--I've looked at Klaussner, Palliser, Robin Bruce, Dream Sofa, Rove, One Kings Lane, Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrell, COCOCO home, Roger & Chris. I am looking for a clean lined, modern classic look that is super comfortable and has a minimum of 24" seat depth. Any ideas? I was all set to go with Robin Bruce but am now nervous....Thanks!

• mizzliz33

Had a Rowe sofa for 20 years. Still looks great. Fabric and cushions held up well. Would definitely buy again.

Creativity with Flair

My Rowe sofa is 19 years old and as sturdy and great as the day I bought it. Cushions are starting to sag a bit... This has been used for 19 years in a family home

last year

Rowe is considered a low to low/mid level quality furniture manufacturer. They are overpriced due to retailers charging 100-150% markup leading buyers to believe at those inflated price points they’re getting high end furniture and you’re simply not. The quality is not there. I’ve had so many issues with Rowe, Robin Bruce and Clayton Marcus through the years that I will no longer specify these lines for my design clients. Headache after headache and lack of customer service means years of problems. As an interior designer I utilize other manufacturers every day. Buyer beware.....

• Xty G (z4)
    last year

Hu-111659508, which manufactures do you suggest that are better quality but not marked up 100-150%, from your experience?

• Susan Horst
    last year

We bought a Rowe sofa in 2000 and loved it! It had nice firm seat cushions. We just recently replaced it after 20 years of great use. Excellent quality.

• craftybrush51
    last year

Anyone had to replace the recliner mechanism? Can not locate just the pull wire.

• allrnothing
    last year

We bought a Robin Bruce Bristol sofa that set us back close to $4K cdn after tax (the most expensive piece of furniture we've ever bought but we splurged as the floor model felt great and the sales people told us the quality was so good it would last us ages). It arrived with a a slip cover that was mis-sewn, a scuff on the fabric, and loose threads that needed trimming on every cushion. Took 4 months to get the slip cover replaced. One week into our new sofa it also began to creak like crazy. Everytime we stand up it makes a huge creaking noise. It's kind of embarassing when we have guests it's so noisy. They won't fix it. We can't identify the problem area of the frame without cutting into the upholstery. Honestly, they have no quality control and our couch is the crappier than our cheapest furniture.

last year

I previously used Rowe for clients looking for upholstered furniture. Unfortunately, after two very poorly executed pieces of furniture and a customer service experience that left me speechless I refuse to use them when designing for clients. When I complained to the company and asked for a solution to the issue I was told they would reimburse the cost of the furniture but they would also close my Acct. Speaks columns about the quality of the product and the quality of the customer service. Be very careful... there are many home stores in the area who sell this brand of furniture. Buyer beware!

• danilegs
    last year
    last modified: last year

I have custom accent chairs and noticed the stitching was pulling after having them for less than 6 wks. They ultimately starter to rip at the seams. I also ordered dining chairs and have paid for them yet haven’t received them 20+wks later. I am gravely concerned about the quality of what I will get and eager to find out what kind of solution they will over as I’d almost prefer a full refund so I can move onto another brand!

• jszat4
    last year

I found a Rowe sectional today that I was almost ready to buy. Second guessing it now. Can someone recommend a good moderately priced manufacturer?

• Eileen
    last year

Lazyboy or Bassett great construction for fair price!

• michelle omenski
    last year

We bought a Rowe sofa in 2000 and have loved quality and comfort. we are about to replace it.

• Kelley Miller
    last year

I just purchased the Rowe - Robin Bruce Kara swivel accent chair from Mathis Brothers in Tulsa. I enjoy a higher quality furniture due to back and neck issues. I’m moving from bed to chairs all night long. After reading this information, and never owning a Robin Bruce piece, I really hope I did not make a $3k mistake. Wonder if I can have a higher density fill so It doesn’t break down so quickly. Will keep you posted.

• Kim Sandina
    last year

I bought Rowe furniture ( sofa and loveseat) for the first time 17 years ago..

I had a sofa arm seam loose and they replaced it immediately. Never a problem since.

Ive just ordered another sofa because I’m doing a remodel, but my sofa and loveseat are in excellent condition. The fabric is a bit soiled, but that’s my fault. There are no dents in the seat cushions or worn fabric, no breakdiwns of the frame... nothing.

The throw pillows are so good, I’ll just re-cover them myself to keep using them.

I’ll only buy Rowe for a sofa, ever!

• E Jak
    last year

I’ve lived with 4 Rowe sofas. The first three withstood everything (purchased in the 80’s and early 2000’s). The most recent one, purchased in 2019, is already in awful shape even with the cores being replaced — the 2000 sofa sits next to it and is in better condition. I’m not sure what’s changed but like another poster, this one is a total loss.

• icanea
    last year

We ended up ordering two new sofas from Rowe and the quality is definitely worse compared to the sofa we ordered 10 years ago. I don’t expect them to last nearly as long.

• Xty G (z4)
    last year

E Jak and icanea, which model sofas are your most recent purchases? What kind of cushions do they have? i am considering a sectional from their ”lounge” collection that has their Harmony cushions. which are a mix of different foams and fiber inside. i was told by a rep that the Harmony cushions are their best cushion and should last many many years. These cushions are why I am considering it over a slightly less expensive Room and board sectional which has down blend wrapped around foam. The rep told me the Harmony cushions should be less maintenance than down. Not as much fluffing which i would love after living with a down blend sofa for many years.

icanea, what makes you feel your sofas are lesser quality than your older one?

• Marcy Levin
    last year

Hancock and Moore is by far a superior piece of furniture than a Rowe. I bought a Rowe about 20 years ago and it lasted....today I use it for a dog bed. I needed a new sofa, but because of all the negative comments throughout my research regarding Rowe, I searched for another brand. I wanted quality and made in America. I researched extensively and found that Hancock and Moore made quality upholstery. I orderd a leather sofa and was extremely happy with the product and customer service from the supplier. I am now in the market for a recliner chair. I am headed back to Hancock and Moore. You get what you pay for.

• Aisha Dickerson

They also take far too long to make pieces and have terrible customer service. I ordered a chair 22 weeks ago, and they just keep pushing the date back. But they say they can’t cancel the order. I’m contacting my bank to get the funds for unreceived goods.

• Sam Robi

oumiller53 How did your Robin Bruce chair turn out? I'm still considering Rowe, despite the comments here. I haven't ruled it out because there are complaints about every brand. It seems like quality is just not there in even the high-end brands now. I'd definitely buy a high-end sofa if it was built to last and had nice fabric options.

• Sam Robi

christinaroache Did you end up buying a sofa? Are you happy with it so far? If so, what brand did you get? The comment you made 2 years ago is exactly how I'm feeling right now. I'm discouraged. Nothing seems to be made well anymore. Sigh...

• icanea

We ordered the Townsend and Bradford sofas with the foam cushions. The Townsend immediately started to pill. Rowe said this is normal wear and to shave it. The stitching looks like it is pulling on the Bradford as well. The Townsend is also much harder and less comfortable than the Townsend we had previously as a sectional. Hope that’s helpful. With other options on the market I cannot recommend Rowe any longer and will not repurchase from them.

• Sam Robi

icanea I'm so sorry. That's awful. If you don't mind my asking one question... I'm just wondering which fabric is pilling? Is it a poly blend performance fabric? So I can attempt to avoid it on a different brand of sofa, not Rowe. Thank you for sharing your experience.

• icanea

Yes it is. The other is 100% cotton and has held up well.

• Sam Robi

icanea Thank you so much. Sincerely appreciative! One last question. Has the cotton stretched and gotten wrinkly? I'm sorry! I feel really terrible bothering you again. I want 100% cotton, but have been a little concerned about stretching. Again, I'm so sorry you aren't happy with your sofas.

• icanea

Here’s a photo of the cotton sofa. It has stretched some.

• Liz

I just purchased two Rowe slip covered swivel chairs, at a significant price. I’ve had the chairs not even two months and I am very displeased. The cushions are already getting flat and the comfort level is poor. The fabric is less than stellar and overall frustrating. I will never use this company again.

• Mary Ann Digan

Rowe is junk. We bought two swivel chairs that look ok but are horrible to sit in. They collpase and offer barely any support for your spine. I weigh 120 lbs and cannot sit in these chairs. My husband is 230 lb and needless to say he hates them. They were expensive. Matter Bros Furniture says tough luck.

• davitma

I purchased two Robin Bruce Brooke club chairs and am ottoman in March from North Carolina. They were ready in September, but took another month to be delivered to me in Florida. We’ve only had them a month, but so far we are happy with the quality and they are extremely comfortable.

• Sam Robi

They look nice! Your home looks lovely! What foam did you get in the cushions? Thx!

• davitma

Hi Sam. Thanks. They came standard with the The Cloud or Lisa cushions, which is a mix of feather, down and polyester fiber. https://www.robinbruce.com/quality/construction

• Mark Timcke

We purchased Rowe sofas back in 1997. We live in Australia and had them shipped from the US. I remember them taking around 6-8 months to arrive (from when the order was placed)
    The sofas were in our formal lounge for over a decade, extremely comfortable, I love these chairs.
    We have had so many different sofas over the years, but we have always kept our Rowe sofas somewhere in our homes.
    A few years ago I took them to a upholsterer and had them recovered, he told me they were a quality construction. So it’s such a shame to see the negative reviews.
    We are currently building a new home and we are seriously considering re upholstering the Rowe sofas and taking them with us again.
    (Image attached re covered sofa)…..
    Our children were born and grew up with these chairs, maybe grand children will sit on them one day 😉

• Victoria

I also have a Rowe sofa with bench, down cushion, and loose back cushions, nailhead, and came with 6 feather throw pillows. I purchased in 1999. It’s been amazing. It suffered soot damage from the Marshall wildfire in CO in December. I wonder if I can have it reupholstered? Does anyone know?

• pattikee

I am very disappointed in the 2 sofas I bought less than 5 years ago. We are awaiting our 4th set of cushions. The cushions compress and don’t recover. They look terrible and are extremely uncomfortable. I also had a Rowe sofa that’s about 15 years old and still looks great. The quality has definitely deteriorated.

• sandyannsmith

Im wondering which model sofa you purchased and which seat cushion option?

• Rachel

pattikee Sorry you're going through this. Furniture buying is a nightmare these days. A sales guy just told me yesterday that some of Rowe's cushions are better than others. Which cushions do you have? I'm sorry to bother you with questions...