Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovetodecorate

What color should I paint my adorable antique wash stand?

lovetodecorate
11 years ago
I just bought a very strange but cute wash stand..I have a traditional and somewhat formal house..The area where it will be in is a little hallway off my husband's office opposite a powder room...It's not in the best condition so I feel I should paint it..White paint wouldn't work as most of the furniture on that part of the house is mahogany and a little on the formal side..I have a very subtle coastal theme going and the back of the wash stand looks like waves to me..I would love to paint it a pretty robin's egg blue but it wouldn't work in that area..too country..So..my dilemma is should I paint it black, or sand it a little and add a finish to spruce it up? I only have a picture of my husbands office that is next to it from when it was being painted..Hope that helps! Thank you!

Comments (21)

• Liorah
    11 years ago
    Love the piece. I would lacquer it in black and change the handles. Gorgeous!
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I'd paint it an accent color. It's a nice surprise to an antique piece. Or, the navy blue of the walls if staying on a light wall. Here is a cute blue painted table as well.
    Sleeping Loft - Kid's Bathroom · More Info

Bountiful · More Info
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    Well, it is an antique piece and the adjoining room is navy (?) and white. Why not just choose a BM Historic color that follows along with the rest of the house and paint in a high gloss to give it a kick.
  • dcer
    11 years ago
    A great collection of ideas so far! I would definitely replace the hardware, and paint it a gloss color of your choice. You should go bold, but stay within your color palette since it has such a nice silhouette!
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    I would say paint it navy blue, or red ochre! [houzz=
    Spicy Hue SW6342 Paint · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    Clare White - Clockwise Design
    11 years ago
    Paint it a bold color!
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    I like bobbi's spicey hue above
  • lovetodecorate
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you all so much! This is my living room..I don't know what color I would pull out of there..I do know I wouldn't paint it red because most of my colors are soft..I don't have many bold colors in my home except for my rugs..
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Thank you Mendi!
  • Rio Brewster
    11 years ago
    Sage green then? To match the sage pillow? And it's kind of beachy.

LOVE the navy and white.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    So many options! I really like Natalie's silver/gold leaf idea. I see you have silver accessories on your coffee table. The silver would be stunning and a nice "surprise"!
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    Thanks Darzy! :)
  • PRO
    MUMMEINTERIORS
    11 years ago
    I am just now following and reading everyone's responses to your question. I love the traditional look of your home which to me is English. I am attaching some finishes that I think would be great for this piece. I would recommend something two toned and distressed. Hope this inspires you!

Matt

For more design inspiration visit my blog: http://mummeinteriors.wordpress.com
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    The curvy top is traditional in northern European folk furniture, which imitated fine furniture styles. So I think a light distressed finish in a traditional color==light blue, green, orange red or mustard (don't knock it till you try it) would look terrific. The milk color paint chart could be used (and could be used to paint it) A little discrete liner work could be nice too.

I think these colors would blend in well with your rugs and traditional decor.
  • User
    11 years ago
    Oh my dear - I LOVE what you've done with that navy/wainscoting room. I'm def no expert or decorator, but you really are in the right track. In my opinion, it depends on where you are putting it, no? I see your livingroom has dark accessories so leaving it alone except for a cleanup would suffice. You could also go for an off white/vintage/distressed look, which would match. Again I'm no expert, I just received help on my own room lol
    If you enjoy painting and like the distressed look I swear by Cece Caldwell paints. No priming ,no mess ,no voc's - it's amazing. Good luck and I also like the silver idea from nataly
  • lovetodecorate
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you all so much! I have so many ideas now that I didn't even think of..I really appreciate all your help!
  • kazt
    11 years ago
    I would not paint it, I would place it catty corner between the two windows place a beautiful lamp or plant on it. Change the knobs to glass.
  • Sara Parker
    11 years ago
    If it is a real antique I wouldn't paint it. Just polish and use for wonderful accessories.
  • stuntchick
    10 years ago
    mirror the wave part . paint it a glossy black add glass knobs . Put an array of seashell on top
  • Sara Parker
    10 years ago
    stuntchick, did you post an "after" photo?