needsometips08

Steam cleaners and hardwood a myth????

needsometips08

I just visited relatives out of state who had the nicest hickory hardwood floors (tongue and groove) I've ever seen. I asked how she cleans them and she said she has only ever used the Shark steam cleaner on them and showed me. The wet residue left over evaporated within a second - by the time I'd knelt down to touch it, it was 100% dry. I thought, "wow, my Bona method stays wet MUCH longer." I use the Bona spray bottle, 2 to 4 squirts to cover a 4 foot section, and on my hands and knees wipe it down and move on. I ask people not to step on it till dry, usually in about a minute.

Considering her floor is GORGEOUS and the Shark steam cleaner hasn't done any damage at all, and she has been cleaning it this way for 2 years, and it gets 1/10th of the liquid on it that I do using Bona, please explain the harm in using steam cleaners?

I simply don't understand. Yes, I get water and wood don't mix, but Bona is 100% liquid so how is it less damaging?

If steam cleaning is so damaging, why does my relative's floor look so fabulous?

Also, we have standing bits of water on the floor daily. Not large amounts - a 1/2 cup or so and I wipe it up as soon as I see it, but again, if the miniscule bits of water from the steam cleaner will ruin it, why does 1/2 cup of water not ruin it? One time, our kids accidently left a sopping wet towel overnight on the hardwood floor and it did buckle about 2 boards and within 8 months it was back to flat again even.

I hear what everyone is saying about water and wood not mixing, it's just not been my experience at all. Please, please help me understand because I really want to get the Shark and just put the Bona directly into it.