Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diana55_gw

Barbacued Pork Sandwiches (Recipe Needed)

diana55
16 years ago

I have such a craving for one of these. Does anyone have a good recipe for them. I would prefer one that I can do in a crockpot. Diana55

Comments (5)

• lindac
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well....I don't do crock pots....but this one works in the oven very well. I put it into a roaster pan and give it a stir every 45 minutes or so. I cut up the meat, and put it in a roasting pan...or I suppose a big Le C Dutch oven would work but be harder to stir and set the oven at 225 and bring it up to heat on the stove top, put it into the oven and cook. It's not real tomatoey but very very good.

Danne's BBQ'd pork
    ( works well with turkey too)
    One Large onion,. chopped
    2 stalks celery ( or more), chopped
    1 green pepper, chopped
    1 1/2 cups broth
    2 cloves garlic, mashed ( I like more)
    1 T salt ( or to taste)
    1 small bottle catsup ( or a bottle chili sauce)
    2 T brown sugar
    2 T vinegar
    1 tsp allspice
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1 tsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp tobasco
    1 bay leaf crumbled
    1/2 tsp paprika.
    Cook about a 5 pound pork roast, covered with some water until very tender. Cool and cut up, Simmer for about 3 hours with the sauce ingredients. Serve on a bun.

Linda C

• pkramer60
    16 years ago

Diana,

No set recipe here, but if you take pork shoulder, season with S&P, and dump abottle of BBQ sauce over it. Let simmer for 6 to 8 hours and then shred for sandwiches. If you do not have enough sauce, add more BBQ.

And don't forget the pickles and slaw!

• lakeguy35
    16 years ago

Diana,

I prefer to use my grill or smoker for pulled pork but I've used the crockpot too in a pinch. I generally use what they call a Boston Butt cut here in the states. I do the same with a Rump Roast for BBQ Beef.

Here are a couple of dry rub recipes that I like along with a few BBQ sauces that I've made more than once. Both of these are great and T@T for me. I will admit that I love a local store bought rub and sauce called Head Country made here in OK. Not available everywhere but you can get it online.

I put the dry rub on the night before and then smoke or cook long and slow for at least eight hours....using the crockpot put in early in the morning or the night before on low. Shred with a couple of forks or chop and add your fave BBQ sauce. Adding some good slaw on top is traditional to the Carolina's if I remember correctly....and my group loves it.

DavidHere is my favourite rub from Steve Raichlens How to Grill(sharon/chase)

1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup Paprika
    3 TBSP coarse pepper
    3 TBSP coarse salt
    1 TBSP Hickory smoked salt
    2 tsp garlic powder
    2 tsp onion powder
    2 tsp celery seed
    1 tsp cayenne
    Mix well and store in an air tight jar.

*Memphis Rub
    1/4 cup paprika
    1 tablespoon firmly packed dark brown sugar
    1 tablespoon granulated sugar
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoons accent (MSG; optional)
    1 teaspoon celery salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 to 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper, or to taste
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    Combine all the ingredients in a jar, twist the lid on airtight, and shake to mix. Store away from heat or light for up to six months. Makes about 1/2 cup. Enough for 4 to 6 racks of ribs.

This is my favorite recipe from Sue (Cookingrvc) -
    COOKINGRVC'S TEXAS ROADHOUSE GRILL BABY BACK RIBS
    2 racks pork baby back ribs
    Salt
    Black pepper
    SAUCE:
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1/4 cup minced fresh onion
    1 1/2 cups water
    1/2 cup tomato paste
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 tablespoons honey
    1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
    1 3/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon liquid smoke
    1 teaspoon Jim Beam whiskey
    1/4 teaspoon coarsely-ground black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/8 teaspoon paprika
    Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper. Wrap in aluminum foil and bake in a preheated 300 degree oven for 2 1/2 hours.
    Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute the onions for 5 minutes or until they start to brown. Add the remaining ingredients and bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/4 hours, uncovered, or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and set aside until the ribs are ready. Preheat your barbecue grill.
    When ribs are finished in the oven, the meat should pull back about 1/2-inch from the ends of the bones. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Grill the ribs for 3 to 4 minutes per side.
    Brush barbecue sauce on the ribs while they're grilling, just before you serve them. Don't add the sauce too early or it will burn.
    Note: everybody that makes this puts more Jim Beam in the sauce!
    Barbecued Chicken
    Copyright, 1999, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, All Rights Reserved

Show: Barefoot Contessa
    Episode: Summer Beach BBQ
    2 chickens (2 1/2 to 3 pounds each), quartered, with backs removed
    1 recipe Barbecue Sauce, recipe follows
    Marinate the chickens in 2/3 of the barbecue sauce for a few hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
    Heat the coals in a charcoal grill. Spread the bottom of the grill with a single layer of hot coals and then add a few more coals 5 minutes before cooking, which will keep the fire going longer. Place the chicken quarters on the grill, skin side down, and cook for about 45 minutes, turning once or twice to cook evenly on both sides. Brush with the marinade as needed. The chicken quarters are done when you insert a knife between a leg and thigh and the juices run clear. Discard any unused marinade.
    Serve with extra barbecue sauce on the side.
    Barbecue Sauce:
    1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (1 large onion)
    1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 cup tomato paste (10 ounces)
    1 cup cider vinegar
    1 cup honey
    1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1 cup Dijon mustard
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1 cup hoisin sauce
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
    In a large saucepan on low heat, saute the onions and garlic with the vegetable oil for 10 to 15 minutes, until the onions are translucent but not browned. Add the tomato paste, vinegar, honey, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, chili powder, cumin, and red pepper flakes. Simmer uncovered on low heat for 30 minutes. Use immediately or store in the refrigerator.
    Copyright, 1999, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, All Rights Reserved
    Yield: 1 1/2 quarts

• bunnyman
    16 years ago

Shot of ketchup, shot of bbq (open pit in my house), and shot of A1. Stir around in chicken, pork, or beef... ground or shredded. Shot of Jim Beam and some hot sauce if it sounds good... it is. Toast the bread and butter it. Way good. Bit of salt and black pepper for a topping.

Ain't no perfect proportion so you can't get it wrong. Ketchup is the juicer so add that until it seems right. Rest is flavoring so some is good enough. For kids cook the whisky down but for adults add it last and serve it lip smacking good.

: )
    lyra

• diana55
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone....now I just have to pick one. David your rub sounds so good. I will be making that one soon, along with the ribs. Thanks !!! Diana55

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH